It is better to live rich than to die rich. -- Samuel Johnson

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz

SubjectAuthor
* Erland's Occasional QuizErland Sommarskog
+- Re: Erland's Occasional QuizMark Brader
+- Re: Erland's Occasional QuizJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: Erland's Occasional QuizDan Tilque
+- Re: Erland's Occasional QuizPete Gayde
+- Re: Erland's Occasional QuizDan Blum
+- Re: Erland's Occasional Quizswp
`* RESULTS: Erland's Occasional QuizErland Sommarskog
 +- Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional QuizMark Brader
 +* Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional QuizDan Tilque
 |`- Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional QuizErland Sommarskog
 `- Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional QuizErland Sommarskog

1
Erland's Occasional Quiz

<XnsAE14D3A719D04Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3542&group=rec.games.trivia#3542

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Erland's Occasional Quiz
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 20:48:22 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 19:48 UTC

It's time for one of my occasional quizzes again. This time it is
just a plain quiz of 12 unrelated questions, worth one point each.

As always answer to the newsgroup, and answer only from your own
knowledge.

In case of a tie, I will make a subjective evaluation of the incorrect
answers to determine the winner. (Where no answer may rank better
than a really bad answer!)

I plan to score this on Saturday 8th.

Have fun!

1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
6.9 million. Which is the island?

2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porteños?

3. Judit Polgár belongs to the top élite in which field?

4. The World Championship for Juniors in which sport was slated
to run for the better part of this week, but was cancelled last
week after a few games due to several cases of covid-19?

5. Which family situation do President of the European Commission
Ursula von der Leyen and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have
in common? (At least according to the official information!)

6. "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters", "The Castle of Adventures"
and "Five Go Off in a Caravan" are all titles from which author
of children's books?

7. The Hindenburg disaster became the end of what era?

8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
office of Prime Minster through elections?

9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?

11. Richard Neville was a key figure during a troubled time in
British history. He is often referred to by which moniker?

12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
talking about?

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<v9Odnc9H1fCDwE78nZ2dnUU7-bfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3543&group=rec.games.trivia#3543

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:31:26 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:31 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> 1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
> in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
> 6.9 million. Which is the island?

Well, it's clearly not Manhattan, which was my instantaneous thought.
I'll guess Hong Kong -- hoping that that's the name of the island as
well as the city that's mostly or entirely on it.
> 2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porte�os?
Buenos Aires?

> 3. Judit Polg�r belongs to the top �lite in which field?

Chess.
> 4. The World Championship for Juniors in which sport was slated
> to run for the better part of this week, but was cancelled last
> week after a few games due to several cases of covid-19?

Hockey.

> 5. Which family situation do President of the European Commission
> Ursula von der Leyen and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have
> in common? (At least according to the official information!)

Recent marriage to someone who was already the other parent of their child?
> 6. "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters", "The Castle of Adventures"
> and "Five Go Off in a Caravan" are all titles from which author
> of children's books?

The Famous Five?
> 7. The Hindenburg disaster became the end of what era?

The era of commercial airship travel.
> 8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
> office of Prime Minster through elections?

India?
> 9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
> and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

Tea.
> 10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?

"Die Hard".
> 11. Richard Neville was a key figure during a troubled time in
> British history. He is often referred to by which moniker?

Hmm. "Neville" makes me think of Neville Chamberlain and, of course,
the eastern terminus of the #501 Queen streetcar. But I think this
person was earlier, something to do with royal intrigue maybe. I have
no guess.
> 12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
> talking about?

Influenza vaccines, I suppose.
--
Mark Brader | At midnight in Toronto a great many
Toronto | strange things do not happen.

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<e5769d87-5427-48df-b487-24e478a03bdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3544&group=rec.games.trivia#3544

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 17:30:51 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 01:30 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 1:48:22 PM UTC-6, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> 1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
> in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
> 6.9 million. Which is the island?

Ireland
> 2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porteños?

Buenos Aires

> 3. Judit Polgár belongs to the top élite in which field?

chess

> 8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
> office of Prime Minster through elections?

Sri Lanka
> 9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
> and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

tea

> 10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?

"Die Hard"

> 12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
> talking about?

flu virus (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<sr2pdh$rr0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3546&group=rec.games.trivia#3546

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:40:14 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 00:40 UTC

On 1/3/22 11:48 AM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Have fun!
>
> 1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
> in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
> 6.9 million. Which is the island?

Ireland

> 2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porteños?
>
> 3. Judit Polgár belongs to the top élite in which field?
>
> 4. The World Championship for Juniors in which sport was slated
> to run for the better part of this week, but was cancelled last
> week after a few games due to several cases of covid-19?

hockey

> 5. Which family situation do President of the European Commission
> Ursula von der Leyen and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have
> in common? (At least according to the official information!)
>
> 6. "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters", "The Castle of Adventures"
> and "Five Go Off in a Caravan" are all titles from which author
> of children's books?
>
> 7. The Hindenburg disaster became the end of what era?
>
> 8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
> office of Prime Minster through elections?

Sri Lanka (Ceylon at the time)

> 9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
> and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

tea

> 10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?
>
> 11. Richard Neville was a key figure during a troubled time in
> British history. He is often referred to by which moniker?
>
> 12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
> talking about?

flu

--
Dan Tilque

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<sr3deh$r2f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3547&group=rec.games.trivia#3547

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 00:22:09 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 06:22 UTC

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It's time for one of my occasional quizzes again. This time it is
> just a plain quiz of 12 unrelated questions, worth one point each.
>
> As always answer to the newsgroup, and answer only from your own
> knowledge.
>
> In case of a tie, I will make a subjective evaluation of the incorrect
> answers to determine the winner. (Where no answer may rank better
> than a really bad answer!)
>
> I plan to score this on Saturday 8th.
>
> Have fun!
>
> 1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
> in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
> 6.9 million. Which is the island?
>
> 2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porteños?

Lisbon

> 3. Judit Polgár belongs to the top élite in which field?
>
> 4. The World Championship for Juniors in which sport was slated
> to run for the better part of this week, but was cancelled last
> week after a few games due to several cases of covid-19?

Ice Hockey

> 5. Which family situation do President of the European Commission
> Ursula von der Leyen and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have
> in common? (At least according to the official information!)
>
> 6. "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters", "The Castle of Adventures"
> and "Five Go Off in a Caravan" are all titles from which author
> of children's books?
>
> 7. The Hindenburg disaster became the end of what era?

Zeppelin era

> 8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
> office of Prime Minster through elections?

Iceland

> 9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
> and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

Tea

> 10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?

Die Hard

> 11. Richard Neville was a key figure during a troubled time in
> British history. He is often referred to by which moniker?
>
> 12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
> talking about?

Flu

Pete Gayde

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<sr58vt$jpr$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3549&group=rec.games.trivia#3549

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 23:18:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 23:18 UTC

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
> in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
> 6.9 million. Which is the island?

Ireland

> 2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porte?os?

Lisbon

> 3. Judit Polg?r belongs to the top ?lite in which field?

Chess

> 6. "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters", "The Castle of Adventures"
> and "Five Go Off in a Caravan" are all titles from which author
> of children's books?

Enid Blyton

> 7. The Hindenburg disaster became the end of what era?

airship era

> 8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
> office of Prime Minster through elections?

Denmark

> 9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
> and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

tea

> 10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?

Die Hard

> 11. Richard Neville was a key figure during a troubled time in
> British history. He is often referred to by which moniker?

Kingmaker

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<ab015489-d3fa-4dbb-8db8-21eab3ed18f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3554&group=rec.games.trivia#3554

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:03:53 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 00:03 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 2:48:22 PM UTC-5, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It's time for one of my occasional quizzes again. This time it is
> just a plain quiz of 12 unrelated questions, worth one point each.
>
> As always answer to the newsgroup, and answer only from your own
> knowledge.
>
> In case of a tie, I will make a subjective evaluation of the incorrect
> answers to determine the winner. (Where no answer may rank better
> than a really bad answer!)
>
> I plan to score this on Saturday 8th.
>
> Have fun!
>
> 1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
> in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
> 6.9 million. Which is the island?

singapore

> 2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porteños?

argentina

> 3. Judit Polgár belongs to the top élite in which field?

chess

> 4. The World Championship for Juniors in which sport was slated
> to run for the better part of this week, but was cancelled last
> week after a few games due to several cases of covid-19?

world junior ice hockey chapionships

> 5. Which family situation do President of the European Commission
> Ursula von der Leyen and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have
> in common? (At least according to the official information!)

ex-lovers? those spicy late night trade negotiations can be very sexually charged

> 6. "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters", "The Castle of Adventures"
> and "Five Go Off in a Caravan" are all titles from which author
> of children's books?

enid blyton

> 7. The Hindenburg disaster became the end of what era?

airship era

> 8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
> office of Prime Minster through elections?

sri lanka (sirimavo bandaranaike)

> 9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
> and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

tea

> 10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?

die hard

> 11. Richard Neville was a key figure during a troubled time in
> British history. He is often referred to by which moniker?

warwick the king maker

> 12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
> talking about?

bird flu

swp, who is double vaccinated, had the delta variant, got a booster shot 5 weeks ago and still managed to get covid again

RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<XnsAE19D390919F0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3559&group=rec.games.trivia#3559

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 20:47:51 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:47 UTC

This quiz is over, and the winner is STEPHEN W. PERRY who for the
next 24 hours can enjoy the unanimous devotion of this newsgroup!

And we all hope that you recover from covid soon. I hope that given
your shots and previous attack your symptoms are mild!

Here is the score table:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Stephen P - - 1 1 - 1 1 1 1 1 1 - 8
Dan B 1 - 1 - - 1 1 - 1 1 1 - 7
Joshua K 1 1 1 - - - - 1 1 1 - 1 7
Mark B - 1 1 1 - - 1 - 1 1 - - 6
Pete G - - - 1 - - 1 - 1 1 - 1 5
Dan T 1 - - 1 - - - 1 1 - - 1 5

And here are the correct answers.

> 1. According to a census, this island had a population of 7.7 million
> in 1831. However, the current population is about 10 % less,
> 6.9 million. Which is the island?

Ireland. 1831, that was before the starvation disaster in the 1842.

> 2. The denizens of which national capital are known as Porteños?

Buenos Aires. Which is in Argentina, but I asked for the city,
Two entrants had Lisbon. Had that been the case, the word would
have been spelled "Portenhos". (When I google that word, I end
up in Buenos Aires again.)

> 3. Judit Polgár belongs to the top élite in which field?

Chess.

> 4. The World Championship for Juniors in which sport was slated
> to run for the better part of this week, but was cancelled last
> week after a few games due to several cases of covid-19?

Ice hockey. Hockey was sufficient. They would not play a world championship
in field hockey this time of year, would they?

> 5. Which family situation do President of the European Commission
> Ursula von der Leyen and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have
> in common? (At least according to the official information!)

Both have seven children. Ursula von der Leyen's children all have
the same father, her husband. This in difference to Boris Johnson
who has children with three different women, including his current
wife, whom he married while in office, and who has given birth twice
since. Rumours do not exclude that there might be more, whence the
parenetical remark.

> 6. "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters", "The Castle of Adventures"
> and "Five Go Off in a Caravan" are all titles from which author
> of children's books?

Enid Blyton. All these titles are from 1946.

> 7. The Hindenburg disaster became the end of what era?

The era of commercial airship travel. All allusions to airship or
Zeppelin were OK.

> 8. In 1960, which country was the first where a woman reached the
> office of Prime Minster through elections?

Sri Lanka. (Sirimavo Bandaranaike). I'm impressed that so many entrants
got his one. Certainly not the first-hand guess. I'm even more impressed
by Stephen of remembering her name!

> 9. If you are making a choice between Lapsang Souchong, Formosa Oolong
> and Darjeeling, what are you contemplating to buy?

Tea

> 10. Which 1988 action movie takes place in the Nakatomi Plaza tower?

Die Hard

> 11. Richard Neville was a key figure during a troubled time in
> British history. He is often referred to by which moniker?

Kingmaker

While himself being a descendant of John of Gaunt, and thus belonging
to the house of Lancaster, the 16th Earl of Warwick (as he might
be more known as) was a close ally of Richard of York, and was
instrumetnal of Edward IV's ascension to the throne.

Later, Warwick got more and more displeased with Edward, and first
tried to replace him with his brother, but this failed. Instead he
allied with the Lancaster leader, Queen Margret, and brought back
Henry VI. But Edward came back, and in the decisive battle between
the two, Warwick lost his life.

> 12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
> talking about?

Seasonal flu. Any mention of flu was OK, as long it was not overly
specific in the wrong direction. I did not approve "bird flu", since
those are different strains. (The one in the question is the one behind
the Hongkong flu in 1968.) Nor did I approve of "Influenza vaccine",
since the latter combination really is the identification of the virus.
Hopefully, the vaccine model of the year targets the same strain that
causes the flu, but they do not always bet on the right horse.

Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<qoKdncouoZhRmkf8nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3560&group=rec.games.trivia#3560

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 15:53:16 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 21:53 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> > 12. When someone says that this year's model is A(H3N2), what are they
> > talking about?
>
> Seasonal flu. Any mention of flu was OK, as long it was not overly
> specific in the wrong direction. I did not approve "bird flu", since
> those are different strains. (The one in the question is the one behind
> the Hongkong flu in 1968.) Nor did I approve of "Influenza vaccine",
> since the latter combination really is the identification of the virus.

You said "model", implying that you were talking about something
that is designed, therefore not the disease strain itself.

I have seen flu strain identifiers like "H3N2", but not like "A(H3N2)".
I guessed that the "A" part referred to the vaccine in relation to the
flu strain.

> Hopefully, the vaccine model of the year targets the same strain that
> causes the flu, but they do not always bet on the right horse.

True, but I think irrelevant to the question wording.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "If disapproval we will drawback."
msb@vex.net --seen on a box of cookies

Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<srduge$feg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3561&group=rec.games.trivia#3561

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 22:14:31 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 06:14 UTC

On 1/8/22 11:47 AM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

>> 4. The World Championship for Juniors in which sport was slated
>> to run for the better part of this week, but was cancelled last
>> week after a few games due to several cases of covid-19?
>
> Ice hockey. Hockey was sufficient. They would not play a world championship
> in field hockey this time of year, would they?

The 2021 Women's FIH Hockey Junior World Cup was scheduled for Dec 5-12,
2021, in South Africa but postponed for the same reason. So Field Hockey
as an answer was only off by about a month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Women%27s_FIH_Hockey_Junior_World_Cup

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<XnsAE1A7F46E947DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3564&group=rec.games.trivia#3564

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 12:30:42 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 11:30 UTC

Dan Tilque (dtilque@frontier.com) writes:
> The 2021 Women's FIH Hockey Junior World Cup was scheduled for Dec 5-12,
> 2021, in South Africa but postponed for the same reason. So Field Hockey
> as an answer was only off by about a month.

Not exactly, as that tournament was postponed before it started, as I
understand it. The junior ice hockey tournament for men played about two
games per team before they gave up. By then two games had ended 1-0 because
the losing teams had corona cases.

IIHF had also scheduled to hold Junior World Championships for women,
which would have taken place in two towns here in Sweden now in January.
However, this tournament was called off before Christmas, resulting in
some spiteful comments like "so are more infectious than the boys?" I have
not heard any further comments after the fiasco with the men's tournament.

Re: RESULTS: Erland's Occasional Quiz

<XnsAE1AC3BAC5D71Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3568&group=rec.games.trivia#3568

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 19:14:27 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:14 UTC

Erland Sommarskog (esquel@sommarskog.se) writes:
> Ice hockey. Hockey was sufficient. They would not play a world
> championship in field hockey this time of year, would they?

In addition to Dan's note: I should know better. Many years ago,
I was travelling in Argentina in January, and I picked up a local
news paper. Looking at the results column in sport pages, I happened
to notice a headline reading HOCKEY. They had the result from the
semifinals in a Panamerican Cup or similar. I thought "why not",
but I found it odd that USA and Canada played against each other already
in the semifinals.

Later, when seeing some girls play field hockey in a park in Tucumán,
that the cup might not have been about ice hockey... (Where I come from,
field hockey is something very exotic.)