Ignorance is when you don't know anything and somebody finds it out.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: contemporaries, challenge of death

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of deathMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of deathErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of deathDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of deathJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge ofPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge ofDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: contemporaries, challenge of deathMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of death

<97ednb09k7vYC0f8nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=rec.games.trivia#3563

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of death
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 02:01:09 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 08:01 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 3, Round 9 - History - They Were Contemporaries

The following pairs of people were alive at the same time, at
some point in each of their lives. In some cases, they were
rivals or colleagues. In others, they may not even have been
aware of each other. Name any year *both* were alive,

1. Samuel de Champlain and Martin Frobisher.
2. Franz Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.
3. Louis Hippolyte Lafontaine and Lord Durham (John Lambton).
4. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.
5. James Madison and Abraham Lincoln.
6. Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle.
7. Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.
8. King Louis XVI and Napoleon Bonaparte.
9. Bob Marley and Buddy Holly.
10. Steve McQueen (the actor, not the director) and River Phoenix.

** Game 3, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Death

* A. Dead Movies

Name them.

A1. This 2004 British zombie comedy is about a man attempting
to get some kind of focus in his life as he deals with his
girlfriend, his mother, and stepfather. Oh, and at the same
time he has to cope with an apocalyptic uprising of zombies.

A2. This 2004 horror-movie remake depicts a handful of human
survivors taking refuge in a shopping mall surrounded
by swarms of zombies. Filmed in Thornhill, it starred
Sarah Polley.

* B. Dead Sea

B1. Name the river that is the only major water source flowing
into the Dead Sea.

B2. Anyone can easily float in the Dead Sea because of natural
buoyancy. What about the water causes this?

* C. Dead Car Companies

C1. In 1988 this car company, then the maker of the Jeep brand,
was bought out by Chrysler and ceased to exist. Name it.

C2. This automobile manufacturer and brand was established in
1985 as a subsidiary of General Motors, in response to the
success of Japanese automobile imports. Quality was never
very good, and GM discontinued the company and brand in 2009.
Name the brand.

* D. 2011 Sports Deaths

D1. Name the Canadian coach of the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl,
who died along with the entire team in the crash of their
plane on 2011-09-07.

D2. Name the driver who died in a fiery collision at the 2011
IZOD IndyCar World Championship at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
He was a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 race.

* E. Science of Death

E1. This post-mortem phenomenon is just a myth. What really
happens is that after death the body dehydrates, causing
the skin to shrink back. But what is the myth?

E2. The formula (98.4 - R) / 1.5, where R is the rectal
temperature of the corpse in Fahrenheit, is used to
estimate what?

* F. Historical Assassinations

F1. What historical figure did Gavrilo Princip of Bosnia
assassinate?

F2. What historical figure did anarchist Leon Frank Czolgosz
assassinate?

--
Mark Brader | "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
Toronto | I said I didn't know."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of death

<XnsAE1A80AD86DB0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3565&group=rec.games.trivia#3565

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 12:38:58 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 11:38 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 3, Round 9 - History - They Were Contemporaries
>
> 2. Franz Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.

1780

> 4. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

1540

> 5. James Madison and Abraham Lincoln.

1810

> 6. Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle.

1702

> 7. Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.

1600

> 8. King Louis XVI and Napoleon Bonaparte.

1789

> 9. Bob Marley and Buddy Holly.

1954

> 10. Steve McQueen (the actor, not the director) and River Phoenix.

1975
> ** Game 3, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Death
>
> * B. Dead Sea
>
> B1. Name the river that is the only major water source flowing
> into the Dead Sea.

Jordan
> B2. Anyone can easily float in the Dead Sea because of natural
> buoyancy. What about the water causes this?

The high degree of salt in the water.
> E2. The formula (98.4 - R) / 1.5, where R is the rectal
> temperature of the corpse in Fahrenheit, is used to
> estimate what?

How long time that has passed since the person died.
> * F. Historical Assassinations
>
> F1. What historical figure did Gavrilo Princip of Bosnia
> assassinate?

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

> F2. What historical figure did anarchist Leon Frank Czolgosz
> assassinate?

Trotsky

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of death

<srf28b$djb$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=rec.games.trivia#3566

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:24:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:24 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - History - They Were Contemporaries

> 1. Samuel de Champlain and Martin Frobisher.

1650

> 2. Franz Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.

1775

> 3. Louis Hippolyte Lafontaine and Lord Durham (John Lambton).

1820

> 4. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

1495

> 5. James Madison and Abraham Lincoln.

1812

> 6. Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle.

1666

> 7. Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.

1590

> 8. King Louis XVI and Napoleon Bonaparte.

1789

> 9. Bob Marley and Buddy Holly.

1955

> 10. Steve McQueen (the actor, not the director) and River Phoenix.

1974

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Death

> * A. Dead Movies

> Name them.

> A1. This 2004 British zombie comedy is about a man attempting
> to get some kind of focus in his life as he deals with his
> girlfriend, his mother, and stepfather. Oh, and at the same
> time he has to cope with an apocalyptic uprising of zombies.

Shaun of the Dead

> A2. This 2004 horror-movie remake depicts a handful of human
> survivors taking refuge in a shopping mall surrounded
> by swarms of zombies. Filmed in Thornhill, it starred
> Sarah Polley.

Night of the Living Dead

> * B. Dead Sea

> B1. Name the river that is the only major water source flowing
> into the Dead Sea.

Jordan

> B2. Anyone can easily float in the Dead Sea because of natural
> buoyancy. What about the water causes this?

it has a high salt content

> * C. Dead Car Companies

> C1. In 1988 this car company, then the maker of the Jeep brand,
> was bought out by Chrysler and ceased to exist. Name it.

AMC

> C2. This automobile manufacturer and brand was established in
> 1985 as a subsidiary of General Motors, in response to the
> success of Japanese automobile imports. Quality was never
> very good, and GM discontinued the company and brand in 2009.
> Name the brand.

Saturn

> * E. Science of Death

> E1. This post-mortem phenomenon is just a myth. What really
> happens is that after death the body dehydrates, causing
> the skin to shrink back. But what is the myth?

hair and nails continue to grow after death

> E2. The formula (98.4 - R) / 1.5, where R is the rectal
> temperature of the corpse in Fahrenheit, is used to
> estimate what?

time of death

> * F. Historical Assassinations

> F1. What historical figure did Gavrilo Princip of Bosnia
> assassinate?

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

> F2. What historical figure did anarchist Leon Frank Czolgosz
> assassinate?

William McKinley

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of death

<5711d854-81cf-44e6-9c9a-30e27238d4den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3567&group=rec.games.trivia#3567

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 09:17:37 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:17 UTC

On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 2:01:16 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - History - They Were Contemporaries
>
> The following pairs of people were alive at the same time, at
> some point in each of their lives. In some cases, they were
> rivals or colleagues. In others, they may not even have been
> aware of each other. Name any year *both* were alive,
>
> 1. Samuel de Champlain and Martin Frobisher.

1650; 1700

> 2. Franz Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.

1775

> 3. Louis Hippolyte Lafontaine and Lord Durham (John Lambton).

1750; 1800
(I have no idea who these people are)

> 4. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

1500; 1525
> 5. James Madison and Abraham Lincoln.

1817

> 6. Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle.

1690
> 7. Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.

1600

> 8. King Louis XVI and Napoleon Bonaparte.

1787

> 9. Bob Marley and Buddy Holly.

1955

> 10. Steve McQueen (the actor, not the director) and River Phoenix.

1978

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Death
>
> * A. Dead Movies
>
> Name them.
>
> A1. This 2004 British zombie comedy is about a man attempting
> to get some kind of focus in his life as he deals with his
> girlfriend, his mother, and stepfather. Oh, and at the same
> time he has to cope with an apocalyptic uprising of zombies.

"Shaun of the Dead"

> A2. This 2004 horror-movie remake depicts a handful of human
> survivors taking refuge in a shopping mall surrounded
> by swarms of zombies. Filmed in Thornhill, it starred
> Sarah Polley.

"Day of the Dead"

> * B. Dead Sea
>
> B1. Name the river that is the only major water source flowing
> into the Dead Sea.

Jordan River

> B2. Anyone can easily float in the Dead Sea because of natural
> buoyancy. What about the water causes this?

high salt content

> * C. Dead Car Companies
>
> C1. In 1988 this car company, then the maker of the Jeep brand,
> was bought out by Chrysler and ceased to exist. Name it.

American Motors
> C2. This automobile manufacturer and brand was established in
> 1985 as a subsidiary of General Motors, in response to the
> success of Japanese automobile imports. Quality was never
> very good, and GM discontinued the company and brand in 2009.
> Name the brand.

Saturn

> * E. Science of Death
>
> E1. This post-mortem phenomenon is just a myth. What really
> happens is that after death the body dehydrates, causing
> the skin to shrink back. But what is the myth?

fingernails growing after death
> E2. The formula (98.4 - R) / 1.5, where R is the rectal
> temperature of the corpse in Fahrenheit, is used to
> estimate what?

time since death

> * F. Historical Assassinations
>
> F1. What historical figure did Gavrilo Princip of Bosnia
> assassinate?

Franz Ferdinand
> F2. What historical figure did anarchist Leon Frank Czolgosz
> assassinate?

William McKinley

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of death

<srfmds$1roj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3569&group=rec.games.trivia#3569

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of
death
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:09:01 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:09 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - History - They Were Contemporaries
>
> The following pairs of people were alive at the same time, at
> some point in each of their lives. In some cases, they were
> rivals or colleagues. In others, they may not even have been
> aware of each other. Name any year *both* were alive,
>
> 1. Samuel de Champlain and Martin Frobisher.

1720

> 2. Franz Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.

1790

> 3. Louis Hippolyte Lafontaine and Lord Durham (John Lambton).

1820

> 4. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

1550

> 5. James Madison and Abraham Lincoln.

1830

> 6. Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle.

1640

> 7. Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.

1550

> 8. King Louis XVI and Napoleon Bonaparte.

1790

> 9. Bob Marley and Buddy Holly.

1955

> 10. Steve McQueen (the actor, not the director) and River Phoenix.

1980

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Death
>
> * A. Dead Movies
>
> Name them.
>
> A1. This 2004 British zombie comedy is about a man attempting
> to get some kind of focus in his life as he deals with his
> girlfriend, his mother, and stepfather. Oh, and at the same
> time he has to cope with an apocalyptic uprising of zombies.
>
> A2. This 2004 horror-movie remake depicts a handful of human
> survivors taking refuge in a shopping mall surrounded
> by swarms of zombies. Filmed in Thornhill, it starred
> Sarah Polley.
>

> * B. Dead Sea
>
> B1. Name the river that is the only major water source flowing
> into the Dead Sea.

Jordan

> B2. Anyone can easily float in the Dead Sea because of natural
> buoyancy. What about the water causes this?

High percentage of salt in the water

> * C. Dead Car Companies
>
> C1. In 1988 this car company, then the maker of the Jeep brand,
> was bought out by Chrysler and ceased to exist. Name it.

Saab

> C2. This automobile manufacturer and brand was established in
> 1985 as a subsidiary of General Motors, in response to the
> success of Japanese automobile imports. Quality was never
> very good, and GM discontinued the company and brand in 2009.
> Name the brand.

Saturn

> * D. 2011 Sports Deaths
>
> D1. Name the Canadian coach of the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl,
> who died along with the entire team in the crash of their
> plane on 2011-09-07.
>
> D2. Name the driver who died in a fiery collision at the 2011
> IZOD IndyCar World Championship at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
> He was a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 race.
>

> * E. Science of Death
>
> E1. This post-mortem phenomenon is just a myth. What really
> happens is that after death the body dehydrates, causing
> the skin to shrink back. But what is the myth?
>
> E2. The formula (98.4 - R) / 1.5, where R is the rectal
> temperature of the corpse in Fahrenheit, is used to
> estimate what?

Time since death

> * F. Historical Assassinations
>
> F1. What historical figure did Gavrilo Princip of Bosnia
> assassinate?

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

> F2. What historical figure did anarchist Leon Frank Czolgosz
> assassinate?

President Garfield; President McKinley

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: contemporaries, challenge of death

<srln0n$i4n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3570&group=rec.games.trivia#3570

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
death
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 20:55:48 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 04:55 UTC

On 1/9/22 12:01 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - History - They Were Contemporaries
>
> The following pairs of people were alive at the same time, at
> some point in each of their lives. In some cases, they were
> rivals or colleagues. In others, they may not even have been
> aware of each other. Name any year *both* were alive,
>
> 1. Samuel de Champlain and Martin Frobisher.

1675

> 2. Franz Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.

1793

> 3. Louis Hippolyte Lafontaine and Lord Durham (John Lambton).

1823

> 4. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

1545

> 5. James Madison and Abraham Lincoln.

1810

> 6. Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle.

1635

> 7. Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.

1585

> 8. King Louis XVI and Napoleon Bonaparte.

1790

> 9. Bob Marley and Buddy Holly.

1960

> 10. Steve McQueen (the actor, not the director) and River Phoenix.

1984

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Death
>
> * A. Dead Movies
>
> Name them.
>
> A1. This 2004 British zombie comedy is about a man attempting
> to get some kind of focus in his life as he deals with his
> girlfriend, his mother, and stepfather. Oh, and at the same
> time he has to cope with an apocalyptic uprising of zombies.
>
> A2. This 2004 horror-movie remake depicts a handful of human
> survivors taking refuge in a shopping mall surrounded
> by swarms of zombies. Filmed in Thornhill, it starred
> Sarah Polley.
>

> * B. Dead Sea
>
> B1. Name the river that is the only major water source flowing
> into the Dead Sea.

Jordan River

> B2. Anyone can easily float in the Dead Sea because of natural
> buoyancy. What about the water causes this?

high salt content increases density

> * C. Dead Car Companies
>
> C1. In 1988 this car company, then the maker of the Jeep brand,
> was bought out by Chrysler and ceased to exist. Name it.

American Motors

> C2. This automobile manufacturer and brand was established in
> 1985 as a subsidiary of General Motors, in response to the
> success of Japanese automobile imports. Quality was never
> very good, and GM discontinued the company and brand in 2009.
> Name the brand.

Saturn

> * D. 2011 Sports Deaths
>
> D1. Name the Canadian coach of the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl,
> who died along with the entire team in the crash of their
> plane on 2011-09-07.
>
> D2. Name the driver who died in a fiery collision at the 2011
> IZOD IndyCar World Championship at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
> He was a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 race.
>

> * E. Science of Death
>
> E1. This post-mortem phenomenon is just a myth. What really
> happens is that after death the body dehydrates, causing
> the skin to shrink back. But what is the myth?

hair continues to grow after death

> E2. The formula (98.4 - R) / 1.5, where R is the rectal
> temperature of the corpse in Fahrenheit, is used to
> estimate what?

time of death

> * F. Historical Assassinations
>
> F1. What historical figure did Gavrilo Princip of Bosnia
> assassinate?

Archduke Ferdinand

> F2. What historical figure did anarchist Leon Frank Czolgosz
> assassinate?

William McKinley

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: contemporaries, challenge of death

<mMWdnTnaO-mW-EP8nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3571&group=rec.games.trivia#3571

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: contemporaries, challenge of death
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:20:11 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 05:20 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 3 is over and this time DAN BLUM has won. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - History - They Were Contemporaries

> The following pairs of people were alive at the same time, at
> some point in each of their lives. In some cases, they were
> rivals or colleagues. In others, they may not even have been
> aware of each other. Name any year *both* were alive,

> 1. Samuel de Champlain and Martin Frobisher.

1567-94. (They lived 1567-1635 and 1535-94 respectively.)

> 2. Franz Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven.

1770-1809. (1732-1809 and 1770-1827.) 4 for everyone -- Erland,
Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Louis Hippolyte Lafontaine and Lord Durham (John Lambton).

1807-40. (1807-64 and 1792-1840.) 4 for Dan Blum, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

1475-1519. (1452-1519 and 1475-1564.) 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> 5. James Madison and Abraham Lincoln.

1809-36. (1751-1836 and 1809-65.) 4 for everyone.

> 6. Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle.

1642-91. (1642-1727 and 1627-91.) 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.

1566-1603. (1533-1603 and 1566-1625.) 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. King Louis XVI and Napoleon Bonaparte.

1769-93. (1754-93 and 1769-1821.) 4 for everyone.

> 9. Bob Marley and Buddy Holly.

1945-59. (1945-81 and 1936-59.) 4 for everyone.

> 10. Steve McQueen (the actor, not the director) and River Phoenix.

1970-80. (1930-80 and 1970-93.) 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Pete.

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Death

> * A. Dead Movies

> Name them.

> A1. This 2004 British zombie comedy is about a man attempting
> to get some kind of focus in his life as he deals with his
> girlfriend, his mother, and stepfather. Oh, and at the same
> time he has to cope with an apocalyptic uprising of zombies.

"Shaun of the Dead". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> A2. This 2004 horror-movie remake depicts a handful of human
> survivors taking refuge in a shopping mall surrounded
> by swarms of zombies. Filmed in Thornhill, it starred
> Sarah Polley.

"Dawn of the Dead".

> * B. Dead Sea

> B1. Name the river that is the only major water source flowing
> into the Dead Sea.

Jordan. 4 for everyone.

> B2. Anyone can easily float in the Dead Sea because of natural
> buoyancy. What about the water causes this?

High salt content. 4 for everyone.

> * C. Dead Car Companies

> C1. In 1988 this car company, then the maker of the Jeep brand,
> was bought out by Chrysler and ceased to exist. Name it.

American Motors (AMC). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. This automobile manufacturer and brand was established in
> 1985 as a subsidiary of General Motors, in response to the
> success of Japanese automobile imports. Quality was never
> very good, and GM discontinued the company and brand in 2009.
> Name the brand.

Saturn. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> * D. 2011 Sports Deaths

> D1. Name the Canadian coach of the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl,
> who died along with the entire team in the crash of their
> plane on 2011-09-07.

Brad McCrimmon.

> D2. Name the driver who died in a fiery collision at the 2011
> IZOD IndyCar World Championship at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
> He was a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 race.

Dan Wheldon.

> * E. Science of Death

> E1. This post-mortem phenomenon is just a myth. What really
> happens is that after death the body dehydrates, causing
> the skin to shrink back. But what is the myth?

That hair (or nails) continues to grow after death. 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. The formula (98.4 - R) / 1.5, where R is the rectal
> temperature of the corpse in Fahrenheit, is used to
> estimate what?

Hours elapsed since death, and therefore time of death. 4 for
everyone.

> * F. Historical Assassinations

> F1. What historical figure did Gavrilo Princip of Bosnia
> assassinate?

Archduke Franz Ferdinand. 4 for everyone.

> F2. What historical figure did anarchist Leon Frank Czolgosz
> assassinate?

US President William McKinley. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Sci Can Ent Art Lit His Cha SIX
Dan Blum 4 24 3 40 40 31 36 36 207
Joshua Kreitzer 0 19 4 40 40 34 31 36 200
Dan Tilque 28 4 0 32 40 16 24 32 172
Pete Gayde 12 18 3 36 32 15 24 22 147
Erland Sommarskog 4 20 0 4 12 4 24 16 80
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 -- -- 80

--
Mark Brader | "... there is no such word as 'impossible' in
Toronto | my dictionary. In fact, everything between