From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Dribble dribble dribble
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 15:16:45 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 20:16 UTC

My carb has a case of the dribbles . New needle , correct float level
- actually a tiny bit low . The carb has been cleaned , had a petcock
screen rust away and gunk stuff up . I bought a kit , but found that
nothing fits but the float needle . I suspect the needle seat is a bit
corroded or rough , and it ain't replaceable . Saw in a Harley forum
that it can be lapped to clean it up and wondered what to use . I'm
thinking simple first , a small disk of scotchbrite pad on the end of a
Phillips screwdriver . Or I can make a machined lap and use either valve
grinding or diamond lapping compound , got both . Maybe just a dowel
faced flat and loaded with lapping compound .
It looks OK , but it's down in a small hole and hard to really tell
what kind of shape it's in .

Fresh bottle of Ezra 99 on the bar ... shots or mixed as you like it .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Dribble dribble dribble

<tv87dm$37eeu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=359&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#359

From: rickb...@gmail.com (Rick Begeman)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Re: Dribble dribble dribble
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 16:55:33 -0700
 by: Rick Begeman - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 23:55 UTC

On 3/19/23 1:16 PM, Snag wrote:
>   My carb has a case of the dribbles . New needle , correct float level
> - actually a tiny bit low . The carb has been cleaned , had a petcock
> screen rust away and gunk stuff up . I bought a kit , but found that
> nothing fits but the float needle . I suspect the needle seat is a bit
> corroded or rough , and it ain't replaceable . Saw in a Harley forum
> that it can be lapped to clean it up and wondered what to use . I'm
> thinking simple first , a small disk of scotchbrite pad on the end of a
> Phillips screwdriver . Or I can make a machined lap and use either valve
> grinding or diamond lapping compound , got both . Maybe just a dowel
> faced flat and loaded with lapping compound .
>   It looks OK , but it's down in a small hole and hard to really tell
> what kind of shape it's in .
>
>   Fresh bottle of Ezra 99 on the bar ... shots or mixed as you like it .

I'm of the opinion that it has not been vibrated enough.
Seems to me that with vibration it would lap itself.
I guess you could say its self lapping.
But everyone has an opinion.

Dribbling while its running or when parked?

A pressurized fuel tank can do bad things too.

--
Ironhead Rick

Re: Dribble dribble dribble

<tv89l5$37php$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=360&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#360

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 19:33:39 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 00:33 UTC

On 3/19/2023 6:55 PM, Rick Begeman wrote:
> On 3/19/23 1:16 PM, Snag wrote:
>>    My carb has a case of the dribbles . New needle , correct float
>> level - actually a tiny bit low . The carb has been cleaned , had a
>> petcock screen rust away and gunk stuff up . I bought a kit , but
>> found that nothing fits but the float needle . I suspect the needle
>> seat is a bit corroded or rough , and it ain't replaceable . Saw in a
>> Harley forum that it can be lapped to clean it up and wondered what to
>> use . I'm thinking simple first , a small disk of scotchbrite pad on
>> the end of a Phillips screwdriver . Or I can make a machined lap and
>> use either valve grinding or diamond lapping compound , got both .
>> Maybe just a dowel faced flat and loaded with lapping compound .
>>    It looks OK , but it's down in a small hole and hard to really tell
>> what kind of shape it's in .
>>
>>    Fresh bottle of Ezra 99 on the bar ... shots or mixed as you like it .
>
> I'm of the opinion that it has not been vibrated enough.
> Seems to me that with vibration it would lap itself.
> I guess you could say its self lapping.
> But everyone has an opinion.
>
> Dribbling while its running or when parked?
>
> A pressurized fuel tank can do bad things too.

It's not dribbling while running , but you can tell the float level
seems to be high . There's fuel coming up around the accel pump stem and
out of the air bleed . I'm going to pull the carb in the morning and try
to get a look at the needle seat under magnification . I'll probably do
some kind of cleanup on that seat while it's disassembled . Can't hurt .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts