From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: "Members of the dwarfism community"
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 02:15:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Hayes - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 02:15 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:28:55 +0000, Hibou wrote:

> Disney says it has been consulting "members of the dwarfism community"
> over its new version of 'Snow White'.
>
> It took me a second to work it out. Consulting whom? Oh yes; they must
> mean dwarves!
>
> I imagine most people hearing this phrase would go through the same
> translation process - in which case, what is the point of this
> mealy-mouthedness? 'Virtue' signalling?

In this context the word "community" means "vociferous self-appointed
spokesmen (or spokespersons if you prefer) for people who share a common
characteristic".

The use of the term "Community" implies that those who share that
characteristic organise their social lives around with others who share
that characteristic, but in actual fact the only ones who do so are the
vociferous se3l-appointed spokesmen.

So we have the "blind community", the "deaf community", the "LGBTQ
(&various other letters) community", the "black community", the "white
community" etc.

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: "Members of the dwarfism community"

<3buccixrrt.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3600&group=alt.english.usage#3600

Followup: alt.usage.english
From: a24...@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:49:39 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:49 UTC

On 2022-01-28, Steve Hayes wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:28:55 +0000, Hibou wrote:
>
>> Disney says it has been consulting "members of the dwarfism community"
>> over its new version of 'Snow White'.
>>
>> It took me a second to work it out. Consulting whom? Oh yes; they must
>> mean dwarves!
>>
>> I imagine most people hearing this phrase would go through the same
>> translation process - in which case, what is the point of this
>> mealy-mouthedness? 'Virtue' signalling?
>
> In this context the word "community" means "vociferous self-appointed
> spokesmen (or spokespersons if you prefer) for people who share a common
> characteristic".
>
> The use of the term "Community" implies that those who share that
> characteristic organise their social lives around with others who share
> that characteristic, but in actual fact the only ones who do so are the
> vociferous se3l-appointed spokesmen.
>
> So we have the "blind community", the "deaf community", the "LGBTQ
> (&various other letters) community", the "black community", the "white
> community" etc.

To be fair, some of those resulted from forms of oppression (e.g.,
black communities resulting from various kinds of segregation; gay
communities from being subjected to abuse for showing affection in
"mainstream" areas).

--
My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon
I will return again