Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint. -- Mark Twain

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines, connecting states

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting statesMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting statesJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting statesErland Sommarskog
+* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connectingDan Tilque
|`* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connectingMark Brader
| `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connectingDan Tilque
|  +* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting statesErland Sommarskog
|  |`- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting statesMark Brader
|  `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connectingMark Brader
|   `- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connectingDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting statesDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connectingPete Gayde
`* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines, connecting statesMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines,Dan Tilque
  `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines,Mark Brader
   `- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines,Mark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<nIKdnVd5VLvVznv8nZ2dnUU7-f_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3586&group=rec.games.trivia#3586

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 23:42:32 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 05:42 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Adult Magazines

No date for Valentine's Day? Well, just curl up on the couch with
your favourite adult magazine!

1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
magazine published?

2. Please decode the rot13 only after answering the previous
question. Jub tenprq gur pragresbyq bs gung svefg vffhr,
choyvfurq va Qrprzore bs avargrra svsgl-guerr?

3. Gene Simmons could tell you that this Newfie girl was Playmate
of the Month for November 1981. Who?

4. Name the daughter of "Playboy" founder Hugh Hefner who became
head of the "Playboy" empire in 1988, holding that position
until she stepped down in 2009. First name required if the
surname is Hefner.

5. Name the publisher of "Hustler" magazine who """has fought"""
several prominent legal battles involving the First Amendment,
and """has unsuccessfully run""" for public office.

6. Name the men's magazine founded in 1969 by Bob Guccione that
"""combines""" urban lifestyle articles and soft-core
pornographic pictorials that, in the 1990s, evolved into
hard-core.

7. Name the 1979 US-produced Italian pornographic biographical film,
starring Malcolm McDowell and Peter O'Toole, that was produced
by Bob Guccione.

8. Born in Ladysmith, BC, in 1967, this Canadian girl """has
graced""" more "Playboy" covers than any other person. Who?

9. It has been said that this adult magazine, first published in
1973, """may have""" a larger following among gay men than
among heterosexual women. Name it.

10. Although not an adult magazine, what publication received
huge publicity when Burt Reynolds appeared naked in their April
1972 edition?

* Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Connecting States

We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
California; you say Oregon.

Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.

1. Arkansas and Iowa.
2. South Carolina and Florida.
3. Vermont and Maine.
4. New York and Ohio.
5. Texas and Arizona
6. Louisiana and Alabama.
7. Nevada and Colorado.
8. North Dakota and Idaho.
9. Indiana and Tennessee.
10. Michigan and Minnesota.

--
Mark Brader | The situation will continue to deteriorate until we [get]
msb@vex.net | an effective governing authority... When that wonderful
| laws [they] will inevitably hold over us. --Mark Crispin

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<650f1ebb-b279-46c4-849a-cd69e1d3ac08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3587&group=rec.games.trivia#3587

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 06:38:50 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 14:38 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 11:42:38 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Adult Magazines
>
> 1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
> magazine published?

1953

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after answering the previous
> question. Jub tenprq gur pragresbyq bs gung svefg vffhr,
> choyvfurq va Qrprzore bs avargrra svsgl-guerr?

Marilyn Monroe

> 3. Gene Simmons could tell you that this Newfie girl was Playmate
> of the Month for November 1981. Who?

Shannon Tweed

> 4. Name the daughter of "Playboy" founder Hugh Hefner who became
> head of the "Playboy" empire in 1988, holding that position
> until she stepped down in 2009. First name required if the
> surname is Hefner.

Christie Hefner

> 5. Name the publisher of "Hustler" magazine who """has fought"""
> several prominent legal battles involving the First Amendment,
> and """has unsuccessfully run""" for public office.

Larry Flynt

> 6. Name the men's magazine founded in 1969 by Bob Guccione that
> """combines""" urban lifestyle articles and soft-core
> pornographic pictorials that, in the 1990s, evolved into
> hard-core.

Penthouse

> 7. Name the 1979 US-produced Italian pornographic biographical film,
> starring Malcolm McDowell and Peter O'Toole, that was produced
> by Bob Guccione.

"Caligula"
> 8. Born in Ladysmith, BC, in 1967, this Canadian girl """has
> graced""" more "Playboy" covers than any other person. Who?

Pamela Anderson

> 9. It has been said that this adult magazine, first published in
> 1973, """may have""" a larger following among gay men than
> among heterosexual women. Name it.

Playgirl

> 10. Although not an adult magazine, what publication received
> huge publicity when Burt Reynolds appeared naked in their April
> 1972 edition?

Cosmopolitan

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Connecting States
>
> We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
> that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
> California; you say Oregon.
>
> Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.
>
> 1. Arkansas and Iowa.

Missouri
> 2. South Carolina and Florida.

Georgia

> 3. Vermont and Maine.

New Hampshire
> 4. New York and Ohio.

Pennsylvania
> 5. Texas and Arizona

New Mexico

> 6. Louisiana and Alabama.

Mississippi

> 7. Nevada and Colorado.

Utah

> 8. North Dakota and Idaho.

Montana

> 9. Indiana and Tennessee.

Kentucky

> 10. Michigan and Minnesota.

Wisconsin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<XnsAE23CF029B29BYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3588&group=rec.games.trivia#3588

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 20:20:59 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:20 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Connecting States
>
> We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
> that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
> California; you say Oregon.
>
> Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.
>
> 1. Arkansas and Iowa.

Kansas

> 2. South Carolina and Florida.

Georgia

> 3. Vermont and Maine.

New Hampshire

> 4. New York and Ohio.

SWPania, eh, I mean Pennsylvania

> 5. Texas and Arizona

New Mexico

> 6. Louisiana and Alabama.

Mississippi

> 7. Nevada and Colorado.

Utah

> 8. North Dakota and Idaho.

Montana

> 9. Indiana and Tennessee.

Kentucky

> 10. Michigan and Minnesota.

Wisconsin

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<ss780o$f5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3589&group=rec.games.trivia#3589

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting
states
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 12:30:13 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 20:30 UTC

On 1/17/22 9:42 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Adult Magazines
>
> No date for Valentine's Day? Well, just curl up on the couch with
> your favourite adult magazine!
>
> 1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
> magazine published?

1955

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after answering the previous
> question. Jub tenprq gur pragresbyq bs gung svefg vffhr,
> choyvfurq va Qrprzore bs avargrra svsgl-guerr?

Marilyn Monroe

> 3. Gene Simmons could tell you that this Newfie girl was Playmate
> of the Month for November 1981. Who?
>
> 4. Name the daughter of "Playboy" founder Hugh Hefner who became
> head of the "Playboy" empire in 1988, holding that position
> until she stepped down in 2009. First name required if the
> surname is Hefner.

Kristi Hefner

> 5. Name the publisher of "Hustler" magazine who """has fought"""
> several prominent legal battles involving the First Amendment,
> and """has unsuccessfully run""" for public office.

Larry Flint

> 6. Name the men's magazine founded in 1969 by Bob Guccione that
> """combines""" urban lifestyle articles and soft-core
> pornographic pictorials that, in the 1990s, evolved into
> hard-core.

Penthouse

> 7. Name the 1979 US-produced Italian pornographic biographical film,
> starring Malcolm McDowell and Peter O'Toole, that was produced
> by Bob Guccione.

Caligula

> 8. Born in Ladysmith, BC, in 1967, this Canadian girl """has
> graced""" more "Playboy" covers than any other person. Who?
>
> 9. It has been said that this adult magazine, first published in
> 1973, """may have""" a larger following among gay men than
> among heterosexual women. Name it.

Playgirl

> 10. Although not an adult magazine, what publication received
> huge publicity when Burt Reynolds appeared naked in their April
> 1972 edition?
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Connecting States
>
> We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
> that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
> California; you say Oregon.
>
> Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.
>
> 1. Arkansas and Iowa.

Missouri

> 2. South Carolina and Florida.

Georgia

> 3. Vermont and Maine.

New Hampshire

> 4. New York and Ohio.

Pennsylvania

> 5. Texas and Arizona

New Mexico

> 6. Louisiana and Alabama.

Mississippi

> 7. Nevada and Colorado.

Utah

> 8. North Dakota and Idaho.

Montana

> 9. Indiana and Tennessee.

Kentucky

> 10. Michigan and Minnesota.

Wisconsin

(technically, the answer is "none", since the two share a lake border.
Lake borders are no different than river borders, no matter how large
the lake. Unlike the sea, there's no distance limit on how far into a
lake the territory of a state or country goes. They always go out to the
middle of the lake or to some other negotiated line. Which means that
Michigan borders on Illinois and Minnesota, as well as Wisconsin,
Indiana, and Ohio. It also means Wisconsin does not border on Canada,
while Ohio and Pennsylvania do.)

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<ss7fb0$7k6$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3590&group=rec.games.trivia#3590

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:35:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:35 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Adult Magazines

> 1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
> magazine published?

1954

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after answering the previous
> question. Jub tenprq gur pragresbyq bs gung svefg vffhr,
> choyvfurq va Qrprzore bs avargrra svsgl-guerr?

Marilyn Monroe

> 4. Name the daughter of "Playboy" founder Hugh Hefner who became
> head of the "Playboy" empire in 1988, holding that position
> until she stepped down in 2009. First name required if the
> surname is Hefner.

Christine Hefner

> 5. Name the publisher of "Hustler" magazine who """has fought"""
> several prominent legal battles involving the First Amendment,
> and """has unsuccessfully run""" for public office.

Larry Flynt

> 6. Name the men's magazine founded in 1969 by Bob Guccione that
> """combines""" urban lifestyle articles and soft-core
> pornographic pictorials that, in the 1990s, evolved into
> hard-core.

Penthouse

> 7. Name the 1979 US-produced Italian pornographic biographical film,
> starring Malcolm McDowell and Peter O'Toole, that was produced
> by Bob Guccione.

Caligula

> 9. It has been said that this adult magazine, first published in
> 1973, """may have""" a larger following among gay men than
> among heterosexual women. Name it.

Playgirl

> 10. Although not an adult magazine, what publication received
> huge publicity when Burt Reynolds appeared naked in their April
> 1972 edition?

Cosmopolitan

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Connecting States

> 1. Arkansas and Iowa.

Missouri

> 2. South Carolina and Florida.

Georgia

> 3. Vermont and Maine.

New Hampshire

> 4. New York and Ohio.

Pennsylvania

> 5. Texas and Arizona

New Mexico

> 6. Louisiana and Alabama.

Mississippi

> 7. Nevada and Colorado.

Utah

> 8. North Dakota and Idaho.

Montana

> 9. Indiana and Tennessee.

Kentucky

> 10. Michigan and Minnesota.

Wisconsin

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<-uednW7xKuX7Fnr8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3591&group=rec.games.trivia#3591

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
states
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:54:14 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 03:54 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
> > that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
> > California; you say Oregon.
> >
> > Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.
> > 10. Michigan and Minnesota.
Dan Tilque:
> Wisconsin
>
> (technically, the answer is "none",

Wrong.

> since the two share a lake border.

True, but irrelevant.

> Lake borders are no different than river borders, no matter how large
> the lake.

That's at best a matter of opinion. I'd say they differ in that
river borders are land borders and lake borders aren't. But that
too is irrelevant.

Well, they're water borders rather than land borders.

> Unlike the sea, there's no distance limit on how far into a
> lake the territory of a state or country goes.

Essentially true.

> They always go out to the middle of the lake or to some other
> negotiated line.

Wrong.

> Michigan borders on Illinois and Minnesota, as well as Wisconsin,
> Indiana, and Ohio. It also means Wisconsin does not border on Canada,
> while Ohio and Pennsylvania do.)

I have seen it asserted that Toronto has a border with New York state.
--
Mark Brader | "...'consulted' the public, using 'consulted' with
Toronto | the special meaning of 'told them what I think'."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<ss8euv$347$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3592&group=rec.games.trivia#3592

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
states
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:34:52 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 07:34 UTC

On 1/18/22 7:54 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>>> We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
>>> that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
>>> California; you say Oregon.
>>>
>>> Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.
>>> 10. Michigan and Minnesota.
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> Wisconsin
>>
>> (technically, the answer is "none",
>
> Wrong.
>
>> since the two share a lake border.
>
> True, but irrelevant.

Why is this irrelevant?

>> Lake borders are no different than river borders, no matter how large
>> the lake.
>
> That's at best a matter of opinion. I'd say they differ in that
> river borders are land borders and lake borders aren't. But that
> too is irrelevant.
>
> Well, they're water borders rather than land borders.

What's so special or different about lake borders that make them
different than river borders? Just saying one's a lake and one's a river
is not enough. How are they fuctionally different?

>> Unlike the sea, there's no distance limit on how far into a
>> lake the territory of a state or country goes.
>
> Essentially true.
>
>> They always go out to the middle of the lake or to some other
>> negotiated line.
>
> Wrong.

How is that wrong? Please eludcidate.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<XnsAE24CF689BD73Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3593&group=rec.games.trivia#3593

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:23:20 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:23 UTC

Dan Tilque (dtilque@frontier.com) writes:
> On 1/18/22 7:54 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
>> That's at best a matter of opinion. I'd say they differ in that
>> river borders are land borders and lake borders aren't. But that
>> too is irrelevant.
>>
>> Well, they're water borders rather than land borders.
>
> What's so special or different about lake borders that make them
> different than river borders? Just saying one's a lake and one's a river
> is not enough. How are they fuctionally different?

Had the question asked specifically about land borders, it would of
course have mattered.

I also bounced a bit when I read the question, thinking "Don't they
border each other directly?", but as a stupid European who thinks that
Kanses borders Iowa and Missouri, I found it better to stay silent.
But I did check the map afterwards.

In the end, it does not really matter, since even if the question is
somewhat poorly constructed, there is not really any doubt of what
the expected answer is. I mean, it's not like when someone asked about
how many countries borders Spain and refused to count Morocco...

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<LI-dnVgU7r2q-3X8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3594&group=rec.games.trivia#3594

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
states
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:27:51 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:27 UTC

Mark Brader:

Dan Tilque:
>>> (technically, the answer is "none",

Mark Brader:
>> Wrong.
>>
>>> since the two share a lake border.
>>
>> True, but irrelevant.

Dan Tilque:
> Why is this irrelevant?

Reread the question. If we'd asked for New York and Pennsylvania,
New Jersey would be a correct answer.

>>> Lake borders are no different than river borders, no matter how large
>>> the lake.
>>
>> That's at best a matter of opinion. I'd say they differ in that
>> river borders are land borders and lake borders aren't. But that
>> too is irrelevant.
>>
>> Well, they're water borders rather than land borders.

(That sentence was meant to be replaced by the paragraph preceding it.)
> What's so special or different about lake borders that make them
> different than river borders? Just saying one's a lake and one's a river
> is not enough. How are they fuctionally different?

Well, they feel different to me. Consider representations on a map.

>>> Unlike the sea, there's no distance limit on how far into a
>>> lake the territory of a state or country goes.
>>
>> Essentially true.
>>
>>> They always go out to the middle of the lake or to some other
>>> negotiated line.
>>
>> Wrong.
>
> How is that wrong? Please eludcidate.

The Bodensee, alias Lake Constance, is a counterexample. There is
no particular location that the adjacent countries recognize as
their boundary -- neither mid-lake nor a negotiated line.
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, sure, you can make anything sound sleazy if you,
Toronto | you know, tell it exactly the way it happened."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<ssa8tg$1a6k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3595&group=rec.games.trivia#3595

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
states
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:04:00 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 00:04 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Adult Magazines
>
> No date for Valentine's Day? Well, just curl up on the couch with
> your favourite adult magazine!
>
> 1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
> magazine published?

1952

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after answering the previous
> question. Jub tenprq gur pragresbyq bs gung svefg vffhr,
> choyvfurq va Qrprzore bs avargrra svsgl-guerr?

Marilyn Monroe

> 3. Gene Simmons could tell you that this Newfie girl was Playmate
> of the Month for November 1981. Who?
>
> 4. Name the daughter of "Playboy" founder Hugh Hefner who became
> head of the "Playboy" empire in 1988, holding that position
> until she stepped down in 2009. First name required if the
> surname is Hefner.

Christie Hefner

> 5. Name the publisher of "Hustler" magazine who """has fought"""
> several prominent legal battles involving the First Amendment,
> and """has unsuccessfully run""" for public office.

Flynt

> 6. Name the men's magazine founded in 1969 by Bob Guccione that
> """combines""" urban lifestyle articles and soft-core
> pornographic pictorials that, in the 1990s, evolved into
> hard-core.

Penthouse

> 7. Name the 1979 US-produced Italian pornographic biographical film,
> starring Malcolm McDowell and Peter O'Toole, that was produced
> by Bob Guccione.
>
> 8. Born in Ladysmith, BC, in 1967, this Canadian girl """has
> graced""" more "Playboy" covers than any other person. Who?

Barbie Benton

> 9. It has been said that this adult magazine, first published in
> 1973, """may have""" a larger following among gay men than
> among heterosexual women. Name it.

Playgirl

> 10. Although not an adult magazine, what publication received
> huge publicity when Burt Reynolds appeared naked in their April
> 1972 edition?

Cosmopolitan

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Connecting States
>
> We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
> that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
> California; you say Oregon.
>
> Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.
>
> 1. Arkansas and Iowa.

Missouri

> 2. South Carolina and Florida.

Georgia

> 3. Vermont and Maine.

New Hampshire

> 4. New York and Ohio.

Pennsylvania

> 5. Texas and Arizona

New Mexico

> 6. Louisiana and Alabama.

Mississippi

> 7. Nevada and Colorado.

Utah

> 8. North Dakota and Idaho.

Montana

> 9. Indiana and Tennessee.

Kentucky

> 10. Michigan and Minnesota.

Wisconsin

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<cKednaaiuty60XT8nZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3596&group=rec.games.trivia#3596

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 05:48:55 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 11:48 UTC

Dan Tilque:
> > What's so special or different about lake borders that make them
> > different than river borders? Just saying one's a lake and one's a river
> > is not enough. How are they fuctionally different?
Erland Sommarskog:
> Had the question asked specifically about land borders, it would of
> course have mattered.

No, it still wouldn't.
--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines, connecting states

<f8GdnUxj3PhLQXf8nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3597&group=rec.games.trivia#3597

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines, connecting states
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:18:30 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:18 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Adult Magazines

> No date for Valentine's Day? Well, just curl up on the couch with
> your favourite adult magazine!

> 1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
> magazine published?

1953 (accepting 1952-54). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after answering the previous
> question. Who graced the centerfold of that first issue,
> published in December of nineteen fifty-three?

Marilyn Monroe. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

The nude centerfold photo had previously been published on a calendar,
and when her studio became concerned about it, Monroe decided to tell
the truth and the publicity helped her career. Asked later whether it
was true that she'd had nothing on, she replied, "I had the radio on."

> 3. Gene Simmons could tell you that this Newfie girl was Playmate
> of the Month for November 1981. Who?

Shannon Tweed. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Name the daughter of "Playboy" founder Hugh Hefner who became
> head of the "Playboy" empire in 1988, holding that position
> until she stepped down in 2009. First name required if the
> surname is Hefner.

Christie Hefner. I accepted "Christine". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. Name the publisher of "Hustler" magazine who """has fought"""
> several prominent legal battles involving the First Amendment,
> and """has unsuccessfully run""" for public office.

Larry Flynt. (He died in 2021.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 6. Name the men's magazine founded in 1969 by Bob Guccione that
> """combines""" urban lifestyle articles and soft-core
> pornographic pictorials that, in the 1990s, evolved into
> hard-core.

"Penthouse". (Still true as far as I know.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. Name the 1979 US-produced Italian pornographic biographical film,
> starring Malcolm McDowell and Peter O'Toole, that was produced
> by Bob Guccione.

"Caligula". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 8. Born in Ladysmith, BC, in 1967, this Canadian girl """has
> graced""" more "Playboy" covers than any other person. Who?

Pamela Anderson. (Still true as far as I know.) 4 for Joshua.

> 9. It has been said that this adult magazine, first published in
> 1973, """may have""" a larger following among gay men than
> among heterosexual women. Name it.

"Playgirl". (It ended in 2016.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 10. Although not an adult magazine, what publication received
> huge publicity when Burt Reynolds appeared naked in their April
> 1972 edition?

"Cosmopolitan". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Connecting States

> We give you the names of two US states and you provide the state
> that borders both of them. For example, we say Washington and
> California; you say Oregon.

> Note: States meeting at a single point do *not* count as bordering.

This was the easiest round in the original game and the 3rd-easiest
in the entire season.

> 1. Arkansas and Iowa.

Missouri. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

Kansas doesn't border either one, although it's close to both.

> 2. South Carolina and Florida.

Georgia. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 3. Vermont and Maine.

New Hampshire. 4 for everyone.

> 4. New York and Ohio.

Pennsylvania. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Texas and Arizona

New Mexico. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Louisiana and Alabama.

Mississippi. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Nevada and Colorado.

Utah. (Not Arizona, which meets Colorado at a single point.)
4 for everyone.

> 8. North Dakota and Idaho.

Montana. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Indiana and Tennessee.

Kentucky. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Michigan and Minnesota.

Wisconsin. (The water border between Michigan and Minnesota is
irrelevant.) 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Spo Ent Lit Geo THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 23 40 40 40 40 120
Dan Blum 18 16 36 32 40 108
Pete Gayde 18 36 -- 28 40 104
Dan Tilque 20 28 8 28 40 96
Erland Sommarskog 12 0 -- 0 36 48

--
Mark Brader | "...most people who borrow over $1,000,000 from a bank
Toronto | would at least remember the name of the bank."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines, connecting states

<ssfp4h$vio$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3600&group=rec.games.trivia#3600

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines,
connecting states
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:11:26 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 02:11 UTC

On 1/21/22 8:18 AM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>
>> 1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
>> magazine published?
>
> 1953 (accepting 1952-54). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
> and Pete.

I put 1955, so was off by one.

>> 4. Name the daughter of "Playboy" founder Hugh Hefner who became
>> head of the "Playboy" empire in 1988, holding that position
>> until she stepped down in 2009. First name required if the
>> surname is Hefner.
>
> Christie Hefner. I accepted "Christine". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
> Dan Blum, and Pete.

I spelled it Kristi, which may or may not be close enough.

>> 5. Name the publisher of "Hustler" magazine who """has fought"""
>> several prominent legal battles involving the First Amendment,
>> and """has unsuccessfully run""" for public office.
>
> Larry Flynt. (He died in 2021.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
> and Pete.

And spelled his name Flint. Ditto.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: adult magazines, connecting states

<ssfrtf$fkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3601&group=rec.games.trivia#3601

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
states
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:58:52 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 02:58 UTC

On 1/19/22 11:27 AM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:

>>> True, but irrelevant.
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> Why is this irrelevant?
>
> Reread the question. If we'd asked for New York and Pennsylvania,
> New Jersey would be a correct answer.

OK, I see. It's just that if they give two adjacent states, there will
often be two answers. For NY and PA, and for MN & WI, the other answer
is, um.. Ontario. :-)

>> What's so special or different about lake borders that make them
>> different than river borders? Just saying one's a lake and one's a river
>> is not enough. How are they fuctionally different?
>
> Well, they feel different to me. Consider representations on a map.

Legally, there's no difference. Or between river/lake borders and land
borders. For that matter, there's no difference between sea borders and
land borders except for termination at whatever distance they go out to
sea (3 nautical miles, if memory serves, which it may not.)

>>> Wrong.
>>
>> How is that wrong? Please eludcidate.
>
> The Bodensee, alias Lake Constance, is a counterexample. There is
> no particular location that the adjacent countries recognize as
> their boundary -- neither mid-lake nor a negotiated line.

OK, they haven't negotiated a border there and there may not be an
obvious middle to go out to. There's actually lots of unnegotiated water
borders around the world. Eventually something will come up and they'll
find the need to negotiate. For example, a crime committed in that lake
and a dispute over who has jurisdiction.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines, connecting states

<ccSdnf9wUtaP6nb8nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3602&group=rec.games.trivia#3602

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
connecting states
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:16:34 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 03:16 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 1. Within 1 year, in what year was the first issue of "Playboy"
>>> magazine published?
>>
>> 1953 (accepting 1952-54). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
>> and Pete.
Dan Tilque:
> I put 1955, so was off by one.

Oops. No points for you!

> I spelled it Kristi...
> And spelled his name Flint...

It's not a spelling quiz.
--
Mark Brader | "Are you coming to bed?"
Toronto | "I can't. This is important... Someone is WRONG on the Internet."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: adult magazines, connecting states

<s8idndiJdPjp5Xb8nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3603&group=rec.games.trivia#3603

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
connecting states
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:22:28 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 03:22 UTC

Mark Brader:
> Oops. No points for you!

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Spo Ent Lit Geo THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 23 40 40 40 40 120
Dan Blum 18 16 36 32 40 108
Pete Gayde 18 36 -- 28 40 104
Dan Tilque 20 28 8 24 40 92
Erland Sommarskog 12 0 -- 0 36 48

--
Mark Brader | I rise to speak ... well, actually, I don't rise,
Toronto | nor do I speak, but I lounge to type in his defense.