I'm sorry if the correct way of doing things offends you.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsetsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsetsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsetsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsetsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsetsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsetsswp
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: African-Canadians and upsetsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets

<BcmdnVsfkMTHMHP8nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3611&group=rec.games.trivia#3611

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:44:58 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 13:44 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Last Friday a coroner opened Australia's fourth inquest into a
notorious and bitterly controversial legal drama: the 1980 death
of a 9-week-old baby. How do the parents explain the death?

2. Researchers have discovered which new type of planet, which
had a movie with the same name?

* Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - African-Canadians

In each case, name the well-known African-Canadian from the
description provided.

1. She started her involvement in politics in Montreal in the
late 1960s. She ran for a seat in Parliament twice, losing
both times to David Crombie. In 1984 she was the first
African-Canadian to be appointed to the Senate. Name her.

2. After university she was an elementary-school principal with
the Metropolitan Separate School Board in Toronto. In the 1993
federal election, she became the first African-Canadian woman
elected to the Parliament of Canada and subsequently the first
black woman in a federal cabinet.

3. This Toronto resident """is""" a Member of the Order of Canada
and in 2002 won the Giller Prize for "The Polished Hoe".

4. This writer was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, studied
creative writing at the University of Victoria, and won the
2011 Giller prize for the novel "Half Blood Blues."

5. In the 1996 Olympics, in addition to winning gold in the 100 m
sprint, Donovan Bailey also anchored Canada's 4×100 m relay
team to a gold medal. Name any one of his three *teammates*,
all African-Canadians.

6. This native of Scarborough played for 8 different NHL teams in
a career that ran from 1996 to 2008. He """is""" perhaps best
known for scoring an overtime goal in the gold-medal game for
Canada at the 2003 World Hockey Championships.

7. In the 1980s and 1990s she was lead vocalist for two rock bands,
Alta Moda and Infidels. """Now""" concentrating on jazz, her
2008 release "Lucky" took home the Juno Award for Vocal Jazz
Album of the Year. Since 2008 she """has been""" a host of
Radio 2's "Morning Weekend".

8. Born in 1972, Kevin Brereton is a Canadian rapper, singer,
songwriter, and record producer. His 2002 debut album "Exit"
received much attention both in Canada and internationally.
What """is""" his musical name?

9. In 1968, he was elected to the Canadian House of Commons,
winning a seat for the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada
and becoming Canada's first black Member of Parliament. He held
the seat for four successive elections.

10. He was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 1985
in the suburban Toronto riding of Scarborough North. He was
appointed Minister of Housing, the first African-Canadian to
hold a cabinet-level position in Ontario. What was his name?

* Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Greatest Upsets

Where a question asks for a team, you need to give enough of the
name to make it unambiguous. For example, "Manchester United",
not "Manchester".

1. Name the NCAA basketball team that was the first to start
5 African-American players and then beat the Kentucky Wildcats
in the 1966 championship game.

2. Which team with Jim Valvano as coach upset the heavily favored
Houston Cougars to win the 1983 NCAA championship?

3. Who was the 45-year heavyweight boxer and griller that came
out of a 20-year retirement to beat Michael Moorer in 1994?

4. Buster Douglas won a huge upset victory against what world
heavyweight champion in Japan in 1990?

5. Which National League underdog team miraculously defeated the
pitching-heavy Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series?

6. In 2010, what 8th-place team rode hot goaltending to beat the
Washington Capitals in the first round of the NHL playoffs?

7. Appalachian State upset which college football powerhouse at
the Big House for perhaps college football's biggest upset?

8. What formerly undefeated horse did Upset beat in 1919 to help
popularize the term?

9. In 1998 which team upset the heavily-favored defending Super Bowl
champion Green Bay Packers? The win was the first by an AFC
team in 14 years and the first for this team in five Super
Bowl appearances.

10. Which AFC team upset the St. Louis Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf"
in the 2002 Super Bowl?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Normal caution suffices. In almost 70 years here,
msb@vex.net | I have not been killed even once." --Peter Moylan

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets

<ssnd1g$1eoq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3612&group=rec.games.trivia#3612

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:34:09 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:34 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Last Friday a coroner opened Australia's fourth inquest into a
> notorious and bitterly controversial legal drama: the 1980 death
> of a 9-week-old baby. How do the parents explain the death?

Eaten by a dingo

> 2. Researchers have discovered which new type of planet, which
> had a movie with the same name?
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - African-Canadians
>
> In each case, name the well-known African-Canadian from the
> description provided.
>
> 1. She started her involvement in politics in Montreal in the
> late 1960s. She ran for a seat in Parliament twice, losing
> both times to David Crombie. In 1984 she was the first
> African-Canadian to be appointed to the Senate. Name her.
>
> 2. After university she was an elementary-school principal with
> the Metropolitan Separate School Board in Toronto. In the 1993
> federal election, she became the first African-Canadian woman
> elected to the Parliament of Canada and subsequently the first
> black woman in a federal cabinet.
>
> 3. This Toronto resident """is""" a Member of the Order of Canada
> and in 2002 won the Giller Prize for "The Polished Hoe".
>
> 4. This writer was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, studied
> creative writing at the University of Victoria, and won the
> 2011 Giller prize for the novel "Half Blood Blues."
>
> 5. In the 1996 Olympics, in addition to winning gold in the 100 m
> sprint, Donovan Bailey also anchored Canada's 4×100 m relay
> team to a gold medal. Name any one of his three *teammates*,
> all African-Canadians.
>
> 6. This native of Scarborough played for 8 different NHL teams in
> a career that ran from 1996 to 2008. He """is""" perhaps best
> known for scoring an overtime goal in the gold-medal game for
> Canada at the 2003 World Hockey Championships.
>
> 7. In the 1980s and 1990s she was lead vocalist for two rock bands,
> Alta Moda and Infidels. """Now""" concentrating on jazz, her
> 2008 release "Lucky" took home the Juno Award for Vocal Jazz
> Album of the Year. Since 2008 she """has been""" a host of
> Radio 2's "Morning Weekend".
>
> 8. Born in 1972, Kevin Brereton is a Canadian rapper, singer,
> songwriter, and record producer. His 2002 debut album "Exit"
> received much attention both in Canada and internationally.
> What """is""" his musical name?
>
> 9. In 1968, he was elected to the Canadian House of Commons,
> winning a seat for the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada
> and becoming Canada's first black Member of Parliament. He held
> the seat for four successive elections.
>
> 10. He was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 1985
> in the suburban Toronto riding of Scarborough North. He was
> appointed Minister of Housing, the first African-Canadian to
> hold a cabinet-level position in Ontario. What was his name?
>

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Greatest Upsets
>
> Where a question asks for a team, you need to give enough of the
> name to make it unambiguous. For example, "Manchester United",
> not "Manchester".
>
> 1. Name the NCAA basketball team that was the first to start
> 5 African-American players and then beat the Kentucky Wildcats
> in the 1966 championship game.

Texas Western; Loyola of Chicago

> 2. Which team with Jim Valvano as coach upset the heavily favored
> Houston Cougars to win the 1983 NCAA championship?

North Carolina State

> 3. Who was the 45-year heavyweight boxer and griller that came
> out of a 20-year retirement to beat Michael Moorer in 1994?

Foreman

> 4. Buster Douglas won a huge upset victory against what world
> heavyweight champion in Japan in 1990?

Tyson

> 5. Which National League underdog team miraculously defeated the
> pitching-heavy Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series?

New York Mets

> 6. In 2010, what 8th-place team rode hot goaltending to beat the
> Washington Capitals in the first round of the NHL playoffs?

Boston Bruins; Montreal Canadiens

> 7. Appalachian State upset which college football powerhouse at
> the Big House for perhaps college football's biggest upset?

University of Michigan

> 8. What formerly undefeated horse did Upset beat in 1919 to help
> popularize the term?

Man O' War

> 9. In 1998 which team upset the heavily-favored defending Super Bowl
> champion Green Bay Packers? The win was the first by an AFC
> team in 14 years and the first for this team in five Super
> Bowl appearances.

Denver Broncos; Kansas City Chiefs

> 10. Which AFC team upset the St. Louis Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf"
> in the 2002 Super Bowl?

New England Patriots

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets

<ede0b107-f857-4a7c-b1b8-c4d31426d65an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3613&group=rec.games.trivia#3613

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 22:24:03 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 06:24 UTC

On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 7:45:04 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Last Friday a coroner opened Australia's fourth inquest into a
> notorious and bitterly controversial legal drama: the 1980 death
> of a 9-week-old baby. How do the parents explain the death?

attacked by a dingo
> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - African-Canadians
>
> In each case, name the well-known African-Canadian from the
> description provided.
>
> 6. This native of Scarborough played for 8 different NHL teams in
> a career that ran from 1996 to 2008. He """is""" perhaps best
> known for scoring an overtime goal in the gold-medal game for
> Canada at the 2003 World Hockey Championships.

Anson Carter (?)

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Greatest Upsets
>
> 1. Name the NCAA basketball team that was the first to start
> 5 African-American players and then beat the Kentucky Wildcats
> in the 1966 championship game.

Texas Western

> 2. Which team with Jim Valvano as coach upset the heavily favored
> Houston Cougars to win the 1983 NCAA championship?

North Carolina State

> 3. Who was the 45-year heavyweight boxer and griller that came
> out of a 20-year retirement to beat Michael Moorer in 1994?

George Foreman

> 4. Buster Douglas won a huge upset victory against what world
> heavyweight champion in Japan in 1990?

Mike Tyson

> 5. Which National League underdog team miraculously defeated the
> pitching-heavy Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series?

New York Mets

> 7. Appalachian State upset which college football powerhouse at
> the Big House for perhaps college football's biggest upset?

Michigan
> 8. What formerly undefeated horse did Upset beat in 1919 to help
> popularize the term?

Man o' War

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.co

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets

<sso9mp$d8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3615&group=rec.games.trivia#3615

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:43:18 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:43 UTC

On 1/24/22 05:44, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Last Friday a coroner opened Australia's fourth inquest into a
> notorious and bitterly controversial legal drama: the 1980 death
> of a 9-week-old baby. How do the parents explain the death?

eaten by dingo

> 2. Researchers have discovered which new type of planet, which
> had a movie with the same name?

superEarth ??

> [...]

Foreman

> 4. Buster Douglas won a huge upset victory against what world
> heavyweight champion in Japan in 1990?
>
> 5. Which National League underdog team miraculously defeated the
> pitching-heavy Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series?

New York Mets

> 6. In 2010, what 8th-place team rode hot goaltending to beat the
> Washington Capitals in the first round of the NHL playoffs?
>
> 7. Appalachian State upset which college football powerhouse at
> the Big House for perhaps college football's biggest upset?

Michigan

> 8. What formerly undefeated horse did Upset beat in 1919 to help
> popularize the term?
>
> 9. In 1998 which team upset the heavily-favored defending Super Bowl
> champion Green Bay Packers? The win was the first by an AFC
> team in 14 years and the first for this team in five Super

Buffalo Bills

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets

<sspo7a$qot$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3617&group=rec.games.trivia#3617

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:57:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:57 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Last Friday a coroner opened Australia's fourth inquest into a
> notorious and bitterly controversial legal drama: the 1980 death
> of a 9-week-old baby. How do the parents explain the death?

dingos took the baby

> 2. Researchers have discovered which new type of planet, which
> had a movie with the same name?

interstellar

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Greatest Upsets

> 1. Name the NCAA basketball team that was the first to start
> 5 African-American players and then beat the Kentucky Wildcats
> in the 1966 championship game.

Villanova

> 3. Who was the 45-year heavyweight boxer and griller that came
> out of a 20-year retirement to beat Michael Moorer in 1994?

George Foreman

> 5. Which National League underdog team miraculously defeated the
> pitching-heavy Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series?

Mets

> 7. Appalachian State upset which college football powerhouse at
> the Big House for perhaps college football's biggest upset?

Ohio State; Auburn

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: African-Canadians and upsets

<4d6e73b3-acab-4f76-a3d3-dfa5eeb4c172n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3619&group=rec.games.trivia#3619

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 04:27:11 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:27 UTC

On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 8:45:04 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

whee!

> 1. Last Friday a coroner opened Australia's fourth inquest into a
> notorious and bitterly controversial legal drama: the 1980 death
> of a 9-week-old baby. How do the parents explain the death?

a dingo ate my baby

> 2. Researchers have discovered which new type of planet, which
> had a movie with the same name?

star wars planet?

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - African-Canadians
>
> In each case, name the well-known African-Canadian from the
> description provided.
>
> 1. She started her involvement in politics in Montreal in the
> late 1960s. She ran for a seat in Parliament twice, losing
> both times to David Crombie. In 1984 she was the first
> African-Canadian to be appointed to the Senate. Name her.

uh oh, this round is coming back to me. normally I would repress such memories or try to kill them off with beer.

cools?

> 2. After university she was an elementary-school principal with
> the Metropolitan Separate School Board in Toronto. In the 1993
> federal election, she became the first African-Canadian woman
> elected to the Parliament of Canada and subsequently the first
> black woman in a federal cabinet.

augustine

> 3. This Toronto resident """is""" a Member of the Order of Canada
> and in 2002 won the Giller Prize for "The Polished Hoe".

clarke

> 4. This writer was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, studied
> creative writing at the University of Victoria, and won the
> 2011 Giller prize for the novel "Half Blood Blues."

edugyan

> 5. In the 1996 Olympics, in addition to winning gold in the 100 m
> sprint, Donovan Bailey also anchored Canada's 4×100 m relay
> team to a gold medal. Name any one of his three *teammates*,
> all African-Canadians.

gilbert

> 6. This native of Scarborough played for 8 different NHL teams in
> a career that ran from 1996 to 2008. He """is""" perhaps best
> known for scoring an overtime goal in the gold-medal game for
> Canada at the 2003 World Hockey Championships.

carter

> 7. In the 1980s and 1990s she was lead vocalist for two rock bands,
> Alta Moda and Infidels. """Now""" concentrating on jazz, her
> 2008 release "Lucky" took home the Juno Award for Vocal Jazz
> Album of the Year. Since 2008 she """has been""" a host of
> Radio 2's "Morning Weekend".

johnson

> 8. Born in 1972, Kevin Brereton is a Canadian rapper, singer,
> songwriter, and record producer. His 2002 debut album "Exit"
> received much attention both in Canada and internationally.
> What """is""" his musical name?

k-os ['music' is a bit of a stretch]

> 9. In 1968, he was elected to the Canadian House of Commons,
> winning a seat for the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada
> and becoming Canada's first black Member of Parliament. He held
> the seat for four successive elections.

lincoln alexander

> 10. He was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 1985
> in the suburban Toronto riding of Scarborough North. He was
> appointed Minister of Housing, the first African-Canadian to
> hold a cabinet-level position in Ontario. What was his name?

curling? [I think I missed this one last time]

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Greatest Upsets
>
> Where a question asks for a team, you need to give enough of the
> name to make it unambiguous. For example, "Manchester United",
> not "Manchester".
>
> 1. Name the NCAA basketball team that was the first to start
> 5 African-American players and then beat the Kentucky Wildcats
> in the 1966 championship game.

texas western

> 2. Which team with Jim Valvano as coach upset the heavily favored
> Houston Cougars to win the 1983 NCAA championship?

north carolina state

> 3. Who was the 45-year heavyweight boxer and griller that came
> out of a 20-year retirement to beat Michael Moorer in 1994?

george foreman

> 4. Buster Douglas won a huge upset victory against what world
> heavyweight champion in Japan in 1990?

mike tyson

> 5. Which National League underdog team miraculously defeated the
> pitching-heavy Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series?

new york mets [the mets didn't win the national league, the cubs choked]

> 6. In 2010, what 8th-place team rode hot goaltending to beat the
> Washington Capitals in the first round of the NHL playoffs?

montreal canadiens

> 7. Appalachian State upset which college football powerhouse at
> the Big House for perhaps college football's biggest upset?

(the university of) michigan

> 8. What formerly undefeated horse did Upset beat in 1919 to help
> popularize the term?

man o'war

> 9. In 1998 which team upset the heavily-favored defending Super Bowl
> champion Green Bay Packers? The win was the first by an AFC
> team in 14 years and the first for this team in five Super
> Bowl appearances.

denver broncos

> 10. Which AFC team upset the St. Louis Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf"
> in the 2002 Super Bowl?

new england patriots

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "Normal caution suffices. In almost 70 years here,
> m...@vex.net | I have not been killed even once." --Peter Moylan
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is sick and tired of being sick and tired

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: African-Canadians and upsets

<pbOdnYyV4dZPCW_8nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3620&group=rec.games.trivia#3620

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: African-Canadians and upsets
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 06:49:22 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:49 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Last Friday a coroner opened Australia's fourth inquest into a
> notorious and bitterly controversial legal drama: the 1980 death
> of a 9-week-old baby. How do the parents explain the death?

A dingo. Everyone -- Pete, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen
-- got this.

The mother was convicted of murder, but evidence supporting her
account was discovered later and the verdict was reversed in 1988,
a decision supported by the 2012 inquest. Also in 1988, the story
was dramatized in the movie "Evil Angels", also titled "A Cry in
the Dark".

> 2. Researchers have discovered which new type of planet, which
> had a movie with the same name?

Waterworld.

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Canadiana - African-Canadians

> In each case, name the well-known African-Canadian from the
> description provided.

> 1. She started her involvement in politics in Montreal in the
> late 1960s. She ran for a seat in Parliament twice, losing
> both times to David Crombie. In 1984 she was the first
> African-Canadian to be appointed to the Senate. Name her.

Anne Cools. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. After university she was an elementary-school principal with
> the Metropolitan Separate School Board in Toronto. In the 1993
> federal election, she became the first African-Canadian woman
> elected to the Parliament of Canada and subsequently the first
> black woman in a federal cabinet.

Jean Augustine. 4 for Stephen.

In Ontario and some other provinces, Roman Catholics have a
grandfathered right to their own "separate school" system, and
that phrase is the term used for it.

> 3. This Toronto resident """is""" a Member of the Order of Canada
> and in 2002 won the Giller Prize for "The Polished Hoe".

Austin Clarke. (He died in 2016.) 4 for Stephen.

> 4. This writer was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, studied
> creative writing at the University of Victoria, and won the
> 2011 Giller prize for the novel "Half Blood Blues."

Esi Edugyan. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. In the 1996 Olympics, in addition to winning gold in the 100 m
> sprint, Donovan Bailey also anchored Canada's 4×100 m relay
> team to a gold medal. Name any one of his three *teammates*,
> all African-Canadians.

Bruny Surin, Glenroy Gilbert, Robert Esmie. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. This native of Scarborough played for 8 different NHL teams in
> a career that ran from 1996 to 2008. He """is""" perhaps best
> known for scoring an overtime goal in the gold-medal game for
> Canada at the 2003 World Hockey Championships.

Anson Carter. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. In the 1980s and 1990s she was lead vocalist for two rock bands,
> Alta Moda and Infidels. """Now""" concentrating on jazz, her
> 2008 release "Lucky" took home the Juno Award for Vocal Jazz
> Album of the Year. Since 2008 she """has been""" a host of
> Radio 2's "Morning Weekend".

Molly Johnson. (Still alive, but no longer a radio host.)
4 for Stephen.

> 8. Born in 1972, Kevin Brereton is a Canadian rapper, singer,
> songwriter, and record producer. His 2002 debut album "Exit"
> received much attention both in Canada and internationally.
> What """is""" his musical name?

k-os ["chaos"]. (Still alive and still true.) 4 for Stephen.

> 9. In 1968, he was elected to the Canadian House of Commons,
> winning a seat for the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada
> and becoming Canada's first black Member of Parliament. He held
> the seat for four successive elections.

Lincoln Alexander. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. He was first elected to the Ontario legislature in 1985
> in the suburban Toronto riding of Scarborough North. He was
> appointed Minister of Housing, the first African-Canadian to
> hold a cabinet-level position in Ontario. What was his name?

Alvin Curling. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Greatest Upsets

> Where a question asks for a team, you need to give enough of the
> name to make it unambiguous. For example, "Manchester United",
> not "Manchester".

> 1. Name the NCAA basketball team that was the first to start
> 5 African-American players and then beat the Kentucky Wildcats
> in the 1966 championship game.

Texas Western. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 2. Which team with Jim Valvano as coach upset the heavily favored
> Houston Cougars to win the 1983 NCAA championship?

North Carolina State. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. Who was the 45-year heavyweight boxer and griller that came
> out of a 20-year retirement to beat Michael Moorer in 1994?

George Foreman. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Buster Douglas won a huge upset victory against what world
> heavyweight champion in Japan in 1990?

Mike Tyson. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 5. Which National League underdog team miraculously defeated the
> pitching-heavy Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series?

New York Mets. 4 for everyone.

> 6. In 2010, what 8th-place team rode hot goaltending to beat the
> Washington Capitals in the first round of the NHL playoffs?

Montreal Canadiens. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 7. Appalachian State upset which college football powerhouse at
> the Big House for perhaps college football's biggest upset?

Michigan (not Michigan State). 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> 8. What formerly undefeated horse did Upset beat in 1919 to help
> popularize the term?

Man o'War. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 9. In 1998 which team upset the heavily-favored defending Super Bowl
> champion Green Bay Packers? The win was the first by an AFC
> team in 14 years and the first for this team in five Super
> Bowl appearances.

Denver Broncos. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 10. Which AFC team upset the St. Louis Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf"
> in the 2002 Super Bowl?

New England Patriots. 4 for Pete and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo
Stephen Perry 40 40 80
Pete Gayde 0 36 36
Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 32
Dan Tilque 0 12 12
Dan Blum 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader "A clarification is not to make oneself clear.
Toronto It is to PUT oneself IN the clear."