It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challengeDan Blum
+* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challengeswp
|`- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, ValentinePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, ValentineDan Tilque
`* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challengeMark Brader
 +- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, ValentineDan Tilque
 `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challengeErland Sommarskog
  `- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<GrmdnXCEKrrdQHf8nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3598&group=rec.games.trivia#3598

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:20:16 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:20 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System

Answers may repeat.

1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
its axis, just under 10 hours?

2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
geometric shape?

3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
Name it.

4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.

5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

6. It is theorized that Mars formerly had a much denser atmosphere
and even had oceans. However, about 4,000,000,000 years ago
Mars lost something, and since then the solar wind has eroded
the oceans and much of the atmosphere. What did Mars lose?

7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
two writers. Name *either*.

8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
*Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.

9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
mythology who has an association with Pluto.

10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
his name?

** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"

* A. My Last Name is Valentine.

Obviously, first names are required on this one.

A1. This actress """is""" best known for her role as a
high-school teacher in the 1970s TV series "Room 222".
Name her.

A2. In the 1983 movie "Trading Places", a snobbish investor and
a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as
part of a bet by two callous millionaires. Eddie Murphy
played the con artist; what was his character's *name*
in the film?

* B. Valentine's Day Massacre

B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
in what year, within 1?

B2. One of those gangs was the South Side Italian gang, led by
Al Capone; the other was the North Side Irish gang, led
by who?

* C. St. Valentine

C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
year*, within 50?

C2. Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire.
In ancient Rome, February 14 was a holiday to honor which
goddess?

* D. It Happened on February 14

D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
1912-02-14?

D2. On 1939-02-14, the German Reich launched the largest
battleship ever commissioned to that date. It sank the
pride of the British fleet, the HMS Hood, in the Battle of
the Denmark Strait in May 1941, but was itself sunk by the
British Royal Navy in September. Name the German battleship.

* E. Aphrodisiacs

E1. An English herbalist from the 17th century, Nicholas
Culpepper, wrote that food "stirs up lust in man and woman".
In 19th century France, bridegrooms were served three courses
of this sexy-looking veggie at their prenuptial dinners.
Apparently for a good reason: it is a great source of
potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, B1, B6,
and C. The folic acid is said to boost histamine production
necessary for the ability to reach orgasm in both sexes.
Name it.

E2. Just by looking at the shape of this veggie, you will see
the reason why it was associated with sexuality. The Aztecs
called the tree it grows on the "testicle tree": they thought
the fruit hanging in pairs on the tree resembled testicles.
The Catholic priests in Spain found this fruit so obscenely
sexual that they forbade it. On the other side, it is
rich with folic acid, vitamin B6, and potassium. It is
also said to boost the immune system. Name it.

* F. Born on February 14

F1. She was born 1960-02-14 in Los Angeles, California, and
raised in British Columbia. Her birth name was Margaret
Elizabeth Chan. She """is""" an actress with major roles in
"The Big Chill" and "Agnes of God". Name her.

F2. Born 1945-02-14 in New York City, he """is""" an actor/dancer
with major roles in "White Nights" and "Tap". Name him.

--
Mark Brader | "...'consulted' the public, using 'consulted' with
Toronto | the special meaning of 'told them what I think'."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<XnsAE26B490DD7BAYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3599&group=rec.games.trivia#3599

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:45:01 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:45 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System
>
> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
> its axis, just under 10 hours?

Mercury
> 2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
> than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
> geometric shape?

ellipsis
> 3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
> Name it.

Ganymede
> 4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
> ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.

Tellus
> 5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

CO2
> 6. It is theorized that Mars formerly had a much denser atmosphere
> and even had oceans. However, about 4,000,000,000 years ago
> Mars lost something, and since then the solar wind has eroded
> the oceans and much of the atmosphere. What did Mars lose?

Magnetic field
> 7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
> these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
> two writers. Name *either*.

Shakespear
> 9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
> is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
> mythology who has an association with Pluto.

Karon
> 10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
> was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
> the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
> his name?

Gallilei
> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"
>
> * B. Valentine's Day Massacre
>
> B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
> mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
> conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
> in what year, within 1?

1929
> * C. St. Valentine
>
> C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
> give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
> year*, within 50?

150
> C2. Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire.
> In ancient Rome, February 14 was a holiday to honor which
> goddess?

Juno
> * D. It Happened on February 14
>
> D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
> 1912-02-14?

New Mexico
> * F. Born on February 14
>
> F1. She was born 1960-02-14 in Los Angeles, California, and
> raised in British Columbia. Her birth name was Margaret
> Elizabeth Chan. She """is""" an actress with major roles in
> "The Big Chill" and "Agnes of God". Name her.

Jane Fonda

No it's not, but at least she play in Agnes of God. But that character
was past her menopause (she says so in the file), and the film came
around 1986, so Fonda has to be a lot older.

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<c5ff7b76-ae57-4b33-ad8d-07e6ea1f1d18n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3604&group=rec.games.trivia#3604

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:43:36 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 03:43 UTC

On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 10:20:22 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System
>
> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
> its axis, just under 10 hours?

Mercury
> 2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
> than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
> geometric shape?

ellipse

> 3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
> Name it.

Ganymede

> 4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
> ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.

Earth; Saturn

> 5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

argon; hydrogen

> 7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
> these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
> two writers. Name *either*.

Shakespeare
> 8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
> accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
> Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
> *Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.

Eris

> 9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
> is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
> mythology who has an association with Pluto.

Charon

> 10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
> was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
> the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
> his name?

Cassini

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"
>
> * A. My Last Name is Valentine.
>
> A1. This actress """is""" best known for her role as a
> high-school teacher in the 1970s TV series "Room 222".
> Name her.

Karen Valentine

> A2. In the 1983 movie "Trading Places", a snobbish investor and
> a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as
> part of a bet by two callous millionaires. Eddie Murphy
> played the con artist; what was his character's *name*
> in the film?

Billy Valentine

> * B. Valentine's Day Massacre
>
> B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
> mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
> conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
> in what year, within 1?

1929

> B2. One of those gangs was the South Side Italian gang, led by
> Al Capone; the other was the North Side Irish gang, led
> by who?

Moran

> * C. St. Valentine
>
> C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
> give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
> year*, within 50?

100; 201

> * D. It Happened on February 14
>
> D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
> 1912-02-14?

Arizona
> D2. On 1939-02-14, the German Reich launched the largest
> battleship ever commissioned to that date. It sank the
> pride of the British fleet, the HMS Hood, in the Battle of
> the Denmark Strait in May 1941, but was itself sunk by the
> British Royal Navy in September. Name the German battleship.

Bismarck

> * E. Aphrodisiacs
>
> E1. An English herbalist from the 17th century, Nicholas
> Culpepper, wrote that food "stirs up lust in man and woman".
> In 19th century France, bridegrooms were served three courses
> of this sexy-looking veggie at their prenuptial dinners.
> Apparently for a good reason: it is a great source of
> potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, B1, B6,
> and C. The folic acid is said to boost histamine production
> necessary for the ability to reach orgasm in both sexes.
> Name it.

tomato

> E2. Just by looking at the shape of this veggie, you will see
> the reason why it was associated with sexuality. The Aztecs
> called the tree it grows on the "testicle tree": they thought
> the fruit hanging in pairs on the tree resembled testicles.
> The Catholic priests in Spain found this fruit so obscenely
> sexual that they forbade it. On the other side, it is
> rich with folic acid, vitamin B6, and potassium. It is
> also said to boost the immune system. Name it.

avocado

> * F. Born on February 14
>
> F1. She was born 1960-02-14 in Los Angeles, California, and
> raised in British Columbia. Her birth name was Margaret
> Elizabeth Chan. She """is""" an actress with major roles in
> "The Big Chill" and "Agnes of God". Name her.

Meg Tilly

> F2. Born 1945-02-14 in New York City, he """is""" an actor/dancer
> with major roles in "White Nights" and "Tap". Name him.

Gregory Hines

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<ssha59$ei8$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3605&group=rec.games.trivia#3605

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:08:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:08 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System

> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
> its axis, just under 10 hours?

Jupiter

> 2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
> than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
> geometric shape?

ellipse

> 3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
> Name it.

Ganymede

> 4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
> ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.

Jupiter

> 5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

carbon dioxide

> 6. It is theorized that Mars formerly had a much denser atmosphere
> and even had oceans. However, about 4,000,000,000 years ago
> Mars lost something, and since then the solar wind has eroded
> the oceans and much of the atmosphere. What did Mars lose?

its magnetic field

> 7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
> these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
> two writers. Name *either*.

Shakespeare

> 8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
> accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
> Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
> *Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.

Ceres

> 9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
> is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
> mythology who has an association with Pluto.

Charon

> 10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
> was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
> the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
> his name?

Cassini

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"

> * B. Valentine's Day Massacre

> B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
> mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
> conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
> in what year, within 1?

1922

> * C. St. Valentine

> C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
> give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
> year*, within 50?

200

> C2. Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire.
> In ancient Rome, February 14 was a holiday to honor which
> goddess?

Venus; Vesta

> * D. It Happened on February 14

> D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
> 1912-02-14?

Arizona

> D2. On 1939-02-14, the German Reich launched the largest
> battleship ever commissioned to that date. It sank the
> pride of the British fleet, the HMS Hood, in the Battle of
> the Denmark Strait in May 1941, but was itself sunk by the
> British Royal Navy in September. Name the German battleship.

Bismarck

> * E. Aphrodisiacs

> E1. An English herbalist from the 17th century, Nicholas
> Culpepper, wrote that food "stirs up lust in man and woman".
> In 19th century France, bridegrooms were served three courses
> of this sexy-looking veggie at their prenuptial dinners.
> Apparently for a good reason: it is a great source of
> potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, B1, B6,
> and C. The folic acid is said to boost histamine production
> necessary for the ability to reach orgasm in both sexes.
> Name it.

asparagus

> * F. Born on February 14

> F2. Born 1945-02-14 in New York City, he """is""" an actor/dancer
> with major roles in "White Nights" and "Tap". Name him.

Gregory Hines

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<9212ea3c-46df-49cd-b0d8-4b816692c388n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3606&group=rec.games.trivia#3606

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:00:35 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:00 UTC

On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 11:20:22 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System
>
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
> its axis, just under 10 hours?

jupiter

> 2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
> than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
> geometric shape?

ellipse

> 3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
> Name it.

ganymede

> 4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
> ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.

saturn

> 5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

carbon dioxide

> 6. It is theorized that Mars formerly had a much denser atmosphere
> and even had oceans. However, about 4,000,000,000 years ago
> Mars lost something, and since then the solar wind has eroded
> the oceans and much of the atmosphere. What did Mars lose?

magnetic field

> 7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
> these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
> two writers. Name *either*.

william shakespeare ; alexander pope

> 8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
> accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
> Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
> *Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.

eris ; ceres

> 9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
> is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
> mythology who has an association with Pluto.

charon

> 10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
> was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
> the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
> his name?

cassini

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"
>
> * A. My Last Name is Valentine.
>
> Obviously, first names are required on this one.
>
> A1. This actress """is""" best known for her role as a
> high-school teacher in the 1970s TV series "Room 222".
> Name her.

karen valentine

> A2. In the 1983 movie "Trading Places", a snobbish investor and
> a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as
> part of a bet by two callous millionaires. Eddie Murphy
> played the con artist; what was his character's *name*
> in the film?

billy ray valentine (capricorn)

> * B. Valentine's Day Massacre
>
> B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
> mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
> conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
> in what year, within 1?

1929

> B2. One of those gangs was the South Side Italian gang, led by
> Al Capone; the other was the North Side Irish gang, led
> by who?

bugs moran

> * C. St. Valentine
>
> C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
> give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
> year*, within 50?

269

> C2. Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire.
> In ancient Rome, February 14 was a holiday to honor which
> goddess?

juno

> * D. It Happened on February 14
>
> D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
> 1912-02-14?

arizona

> D2. On 1939-02-14, the German Reich launched the largest
> battleship ever commissioned to that date. It sank the
> pride of the British fleet, the HMS Hood, in the Battle of
> the Denmark Strait in May 1941, but was itself sunk by the
> British Royal Navy in September. Name the German battleship.

bismarck

> * E. Aphrodisiacs
>
> E1. An English herbalist from the 17th century, Nicholas
> Culpepper, wrote that food "stirs up lust in man and woman".
> In 19th century France, bridegrooms were served three courses
> of this sexy-looking veggie at their prenuptial dinners.
> Apparently for a good reason: it is a great source of
> potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, B1, B6,
> and C. The folic acid is said to boost histamine production
> necessary for the ability to reach orgasm in both sexes.
> Name it.

asparagus

> E2. Just by looking at the shape of this veggie, you will see
> the reason why it was associated with sexuality. The Aztecs
> called the tree it grows on the "testicle tree": they thought
> the fruit hanging in pairs on the tree resembled testicles.
> The Catholic priests in Spain found this fruit so obscenely
> sexual that they forbade it. On the other side, it is
> rich with folic acid, vitamin B6, and potassium. It is
> also said to boost the immune system. Name it.

avocado

> * F. Born on February 14
>
> F1. She was born 1960-02-14 in Los Angeles, California, and
> raised in British Columbia. Her birth name was Margaret
> Elizabeth Chan. She """is""" an actress with major roles in
> "The Big Chill" and "Agnes of God". Name her.

meg tilly

> F2. Born 1945-02-14 in New York City, he """is""" an actor/dancer
> with major roles in "White Nights" and "Tap". Name him.

gregory hines

> --
> Mark Brader | "...'consulted' the public, using 'consulted' with
> Toronto | the special meaning of 'told them what I think'."
> m...@vex.net | --Cheryl Perkins
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, still alive despite the best efforts of all the known viruses on earth

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<ssi9np$14f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3607&group=rec.games.trivia#3607

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine
challenge
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 19:07:06 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:07 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System
>
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
> its axis, just under 10 hours?

Mercury

> 2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
> than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
> geometric shape?

Ellipse

> 3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
> Name it.

Io; Ganymede

> 4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
> ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.
>
> 5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

Hydrogen

> 6. It is theorized that Mars formerly had a much denser atmosphere
> and even had oceans. However, about 4,000,000,000 years ago
> Mars lost something, and since then the solar wind has eroded
> the oceans and much of the atmosphere. What did Mars lose?
>
> 7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
> these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
> two writers. Name *either*.

Dickens; Proust

> 8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
> accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
> Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
> *Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.
>
> 9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
> is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
> mythology who has an association with Pluto.
>
> 10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
> was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
> the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
> his name?
>

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"
>
> * A. My Last Name is Valentine.
>
> Obviously, first names are required on this one.
>
> A1. This actress """is""" best known for her role as a
> high-school teacher in the 1970s TV series "Room 222".
> Name her.

Karen

> A2. In the 1983 movie "Trading Places", a snobbish investor and
> a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as
> part of a bet by two callous millionaires. Eddie Murphy
> played the con artist; what was his character's *name*
> in the film?
>

> * B. Valentine's Day Massacre
>
> B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
> mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
> conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
> in what year, within 1?

1932; 1935

> B2. One of those gangs was the South Side Italian gang, led by
> Al Capone; the other was the North Side Irish gang, led
> by who?

Kelly

> * C. St. Valentine
>
> C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
> give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
> year*, within 50?

200; 301

> C2. Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire.
> In ancient Rome, February 14 was a holiday to honor which
> goddess?

Aphrodite

> * D. It Happened on February 14
>
> D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
> 1912-02-14?

Arizona

> D2. On 1939-02-14, the German Reich launched the largest
> battleship ever commissioned to that date. It sank the
> pride of the British fleet, the HMS Hood, in the Battle of
> the Denmark Strait in May 1941, but was itself sunk by the
> British Royal Navy in September. Name the German battleship.

Bismarck

> * E. Aphrodisiacs
>
> E1. An English herbalist from the 17th century, Nicholas
> Culpepper, wrote that food "stirs up lust in man and woman".
> In 19th century France, bridegrooms were served three courses
> of this sexy-looking veggie at their prenuptial dinners.
> Apparently for a good reason: it is a great source of
> potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, B1, B6,
> and C. The folic acid is said to boost histamine production
> necessary for the ability to reach orgasm in both sexes.
> Name it.
>
> E2. Just by looking at the shape of this veggie, you will see
> the reason why it was associated with sexuality. The Aztecs
> called the tree it grows on the "testicle tree": they thought
> the fruit hanging in pairs on the tree resembled testicles.
> The Catholic priests in Spain found this fruit so obscenely
> sexual that they forbade it. On the other side, it is
> rich with folic acid, vitamin B6, and potassium. It is
> also said to boost the immune system. Name it.
>

> * F. Born on February 14
>
> F1. She was born 1960-02-14 in Los Angeles, California, and
> raised in British Columbia. Her birth name was Margaret
> Elizabeth Chan. She """is""" an actress with major roles in
> "The Big Chill" and "Agnes of God". Name her.
>
> F2. Born 1945-02-14 in New York City, he """is""" an actor/dancer
> with major roles in "White Nights" and "Tap". Name him.

Gregory Hines

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<ssjl7c$dtu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3608&group=rec.games.trivia#3608

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
challenge
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 05:29:13 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 13:29 UTC

On 1/21/22 8:20 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System
>
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
> its axis, just under 10 hours?

Jupiter

> 2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
> than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
> geometric shape?

ellipse

> 3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
> Name it.

Ganymede

> 4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
> ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.

Jupiter

> 5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

carbon dioxide

> 6. It is theorized that Mars formerly had a much denser atmosphere
> and even had oceans. However, about 4,000,000,000 years ago
> Mars lost something, and since then the solar wind has eroded
> the oceans and much of the atmosphere. What did Mars lose?

magnetic field

> 7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
> these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
> two writers. Name *either*.

Shakespeare

> 8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
> accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
> Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
> *Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.

Eris

(As far as I know and I follow these things fairly closely, the 2012
answer is unchanged. There's still only 5 dwarf planets. The others are
Haumea, Ceres, and Makemake. The last is pronounced with four syllables,
by the way.)

> 9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
> is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
> mythology who has an association with Pluto.

Charon

> 10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
> was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
> the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
> his name?

Cassini

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"
>
> * A. My Last Name is Valentine.
>
> Obviously, first names are required on this one.
>
> A1. This actress """is""" best known for her role as a
> high-school teacher in the 1970s TV series "Room 222".
> Name her.
>
> A2. In the 1983 movie "Trading Places", a snobbish investor and
> a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as
> part of a bet by two callous millionaires. Eddie Murphy
> played the con artist; what was his character's *name*
> in the film?
>

> * B. Valentine's Day Massacre
>
> B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
> mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
> conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
> in what year, within 1?

1927

> B2. One of those gangs was the South Side Italian gang, led by
> Al Capone; the other was the North Side Irish gang, led
> by who?
>

> * C. St. Valentine
>
> C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
> give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
> year*, within 50?

160 AD; 261 AD

> C2. Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire.
> In ancient Rome, February 14 was a holiday to honor which
> goddess?

Venus

> * D. It Happened on February 14
>
> D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
> 1912-02-14?

Arizona

(That's not the only state to gain statehood on Feb 14. The 33rd state
also did so in 1859. Hint: I live in it.)

> D2. On 1939-02-14, the German Reich launched the largest
> battleship ever commissioned to that date. It sank the
> pride of the British fleet, the HMS Hood, in the Battle of
> the Denmark Strait in May 1941, but was itself sunk by the
> British Royal Navy in September. Name the German battleship.

Bismarck

> * E. Aphrodisiacs
>
> E1. An English herbalist from the 17th century, Nicholas
> Culpepper, wrote that food "stirs up lust in man and woman".
> In 19th century France, bridegrooms were served three courses
> of this sexy-looking veggie at their prenuptial dinners.
> Apparently for a good reason: it is a great source of
> potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, B1, B6,
> and C. The folic acid is said to boost histamine production
> necessary for the ability to reach orgasm in both sexes.
> Name it.

mushroom

> E2. Just by looking at the shape of this veggie, you will see
> the reason why it was associated with sexuality. The Aztecs
> called the tree it grows on the "testicle tree": they thought
> the fruit hanging in pairs on the tree resembled testicles.
> The Catholic priests in Spain found this fruit so obscenely
> sexual that they forbade it. On the other side, it is
> rich with folic acid, vitamin B6, and potassium. It is
> also said to boost the immune system. Name it.

cherry

> * F. Born on February 14
>
> F1. She was born 1960-02-14 in Los Angeles, California, and
> raised in British Columbia. Her birth name was Margaret
> Elizabeth Chan. She """is""" an actress with major roles in
> "The Big Chill" and "Agnes of God". Name her.
>
> F2. Born 1945-02-14 in New York City, he """is""" an actor/dancer
> with major roles in "White Nights" and "Tap". Name him.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: solar system, Valentine challenge

<l8KdnX2QJ4bu6nD8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3609&group=rec.games.trivia#3609

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 09:42:43 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:42 UTC

Stephen Perry:
> still alive despite the best efforts of all the known viruses on earth

Keep doing that, then, eh?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "People think I'm crazy to worry all the time;
msb@vex.net | if you paid attention, you'd be worried too."

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challenge

<x5WdncWH06oJMXP8nZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3610&group=rec.games.trivia#3610

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:41:40 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 13:41 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-13, and
> should be interpreted accordingly... For further information... see
> my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 4 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner. Hearty
congratulations!

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - The Solar System

> Answers may repeat.

> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
> its axis, just under 10 hours?

Jupiter. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

For some reason three different entrants guessed Mercury, the
second-worst answer at 59 days.

> 2. Provided that their eccentricity is greater than 0 and less
> than 1, the orbits of heavenly bodies must have what specific
> geometric shape?

Ellipse. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This moon of Jupiter is the largest moon in the solar system.
> Name it.

Ganymede. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Pete.

> 4. Which planet shows the most flattening? That is, the highest
> ratio of the equatorial to the polar diameter.

Saturn. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. Mars has a thin atmosphere, 95% of which consists of what gas?

Carbon dioxide. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. It is theorized that Mars formerly had a much denser atmosphere
> and even had oceans. However, about 4,000,000,000 years ago
> Mars lost something, and since then the solar wind has eroded
> the oceans and much of the atmosphere. What did Mars lose?

Its magnetic field (magnetosphere). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Uranus """has 27 known""" natural satellites. The names for
> these moons have been chosen from characters from the works of
> two writers. Name *either*.

William Shakespeare, Alexander Pope. (Still true.) 4 for Erland,
Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen (the hard way), and Dan Tilque.

Both writers had characters named Ariel. Of the other moons,
24 names come from Shakespeare and 2 from Pope.

> 8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
> accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
> Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
> *Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.

Ceres, Eris, Haumea, Makemake. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen
(the hard way), and Dan Tilque.

The IAU web site still lists only those five, but other sources
imply that other bodies qualify. I decided to duck the issue by
only accepting the 2012 answer.

> 9. Name this largest moon of the dwarf planet Pluto, whose diameter
> is over 50% of Pluto's. The name is from a character in Greek
> mythology who has an association with Pluto.

Charon. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. In 1675, an Italian astronomer determined that Saturn's ring
> was composed of multiple smaller rings with gaps between them;
> the largest of these gaps was later named after him. What was
> his name?

Giovanni Cassini. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - "Be My Valentine"

This was the second-hardest round in the original game, after
current events.

> * A. My Last Name is Valentine.

> Obviously, first names are required on this one.

> A1. This actress """is""" best known for her role as a
> high-school teacher in the 1970s TV series "Room 222".
> Name her.

Karen Valentine. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> A2. In the 1983 movie "Trading Places", a snobbish investor and
> a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as
> part of a bet by two callous millionaires. Eddie Murphy
> played the con artist; what was his character's *name*
> in the film?

Billy Ray Valentine. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * B. Valentine's Day Massacre

> B1. "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is the name given to the
> mass murder of 7 mob associates as part of a Prohibition-era
> conflict between two powerful criminal gangs in Chicago...
> in what year, within 1?

1929 (accepting 1928-30). 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> B2. One of those gangs was the South Side Italian gang, led by
> Al Capone; the other was the North Side Irish gang, led
> by who?

Bugs Moran. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * C. St. Valentine

> C1. St. Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to
> give up Christianity. He died on February 14 -- in *what
> year*, within 50?

269 (accepting 219-319). 4 for Stephen. 2 for Pete and Dan Tilque.

> C2. Valentine's Day started in the time of the Roman Empire.
> In ancient Rome, February 14 was a holiday to honor which
> goddess?

Juno. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> * D. It Happened on February 14

> D1. What US state became the 48th state of the union on
> 1912-02-14?

Arizona. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

New Mexico had just become the 47th state on 1912-01-06.

> D2. On 1939-02-14, the German Reich launched the largest
> battleship ever commissioned to that date. It sank the
> pride of the British fleet, the HMS Hood, in the Battle of
> the Denmark Strait in May 1941, but was itself sunk by the
> British Royal Navy in September. Name the German battleship.

Bismarck. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

ObMovie: "Sink the Bismarck!" (1960).

> * E. Aphrodisiacs

> E1. An English herbalist from the 17th century, Nicholas
> Culpepper, wrote that food "stirs up lust in man and woman".
> In 19th century France, bridegrooms were served three courses
> of this sexy-looking veggie at their prenuptial dinners.
> Apparently for a good reason: it is a great source of
> potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, B1, B6,
> and C. The folic acid is said to boost histamine production
> necessary for the ability to reach orgasm in both sexes.
> Name it.

Asparagus. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> E2. Just by looking at the shape of this veggie, you will see
> the reason why it was associated with sexuality. The Aztecs
> called the tree it grows on the "testicle tree": they thought
> the fruit hanging in pairs on the tree resembled testicles.
> The Catholic priests in Spain found this fruit so obscenely
> sexual that they forbade it. On the other side, it is
> rich with folic acid, vitamin B6, and potassium. It is
> also said to boost the immune system. Name it.

Avocado. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * F. Born on February 14

> F1. She was born 1960-02-14 in Los Angeles, California, and
> raised in British Columbia. Her birth name was Margaret
> Elizabeth Chan. She """is""" an actress with major roles in
> "The Big Chill" and "Agnes of God". Name her.

Meg Tilly. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> F2. Born 1945-02-14 in New York City, he """is""" an actor/dancer
> with major roles in "White Nights" and "Tap". Name him.

Gregory Hines. (He died in 2003.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Spo Ent Lit Geo Sci Cha FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 23 40 40 40 40 26 36 196
Dan Blum 18 16 36 32 40 36 16 162
Dan Tilque 20 28 8 24 40 36 10 148
Pete Gayde 18 36 -- 28 40 6 18 140
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- 40 48 88
Erland Sommarskog 12 0 -- 0 36 24 8 80

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Fear is an incompetent teacher."
msb@vex.net --Michael Chabon, ST:Picard

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challenge

<sso8ch$740$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3614&group=rec.games.trivia#3614

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine
challenge
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:20:47 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:20 UTC

On 1/24/22 05:41, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:

>> 8. """Currently""" the International Astronomical Union has
>> accorded 5 bodies in the solar system the status of dwarf planet.
>> Pluto is the largest and best-known. Name any of the other four.
>> *Note*: Only the 2012 answer will be accepted.
>
> Ceres, Eris, Haumea, Makemake. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen
> (the hard way), and Dan Tilque.
>
> The IAU web site still lists only those five, but other sources
> imply that other bodies qualify. I decided to duck the issue by
> only accepting the 2012 answer.

There are other solar system bodies that probably qualify. But the IAU
is the authority that makes it official and they haven't added any since
the original five.*

In terms of science, dwarf planet is a useless category. No one writes a
research proposal that they're going to study dwarf planets as a
class.** If they're going to study groups of objects, it'll most likely
be some subset of asteroids or TNOs. But not one asteroid and four TNOs,
where the TNOs belong to three (I think) different subclasses.

* My guess is that they just let the category drop. That is, no one at
the IAU is responsible for adding more of them.

** The same can be said of planets, BTW.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challenge

<XnsAE2ACB53F779EYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3616&group=rec.games.trivia#3616

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 19:59:16 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:59 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
>> its axis, just under 10 hours?
>
> Jupiter. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.
>
> For some reason three different entrants guessed Mercury, the
> second-worst answer at 59 days.

I think I somehow manage to confuse rotation around its own axis
with the rotation around the sun, or maybe I had some funny idea
about the two rotations being correlated. Whatever, I'm kind of happy
that I am not alone or making that bad answers.

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: solar system, Valentine challenge

<l6ydnUUqHuAs-m38nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3618&group=rec.games.trivia#3618

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 15:12:17 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:12 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 1. Which planet takes the least time to complete one rotation on
>>> its axis, just under 10 hours?

>> For some reason three different entrants guessed Mercury, the
>> second-worst answer at 59 days.

Erland Sommarskog:
> I think I somehow manage to confuse rotation around its own axis
> with the rotation around the sun...

Ah, I didn't think of that. In astronomical terminology the word
"revolution" is used for the latter meaning rather than "rotation",
even though the two words are near synonyms in any other context.
Thanks for explaining.

A planet that completed one revolution around the Sun in 10 hours
would orbit about 1,000,000 miles from the Sun's center, which I'd
guess would be close enough to evaporate it.
--
Mark Brader | "...the scholarly instructor whisked his pupils through the
Toronto | entire universe in five months. Of course, the universe