Subject: Re: The Day After The Day After Tomorrow
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
From: 61h.1...@e3t2w.net (61h.1601)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:48:57 -0500
 by: 61h.1601 - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 02:48 UTC

On 2/23/24 9:57 AM, pothead wrote:
> On 2024-02-23, 68g.1509 <68g.1505@exr3.net> wrote:
>> Yep, on the TV tonight.
>>
>> The AlGore spectacular was made in 2004 - and we
>> were all supposed to be dead by now.
>>
>> 20 years later, we're not roasted or frozen. Kinda
>> normal variations by and large - well within tolerance.
>>
>> Last year WAS warm, on average, but only small bits of
>> the world burst into flames - the places that usually
>> do anyhow.
>>
>> This week some other "climate model" said the Gulf
>> Stream was likely to collapse as early as next year
>> and freeze western Europe.
>>
>> They just don't give up .....
>
> Al Gore is an even bigger idiot than John Kerry.
> And both of them are elitist hypocrites.

Doom-Sayer$ often do quite well.

My concern, and this is nothing new, is how many
people buy into such shit - and how easily. It's
some weird feature of humanity. It can be kinda
forgiven in the dark ages when nobody knew dick
about what was happening over the hill, but now
there are endless info sources.

Oh, remember when HIV was gonna extinct the human
race by Y2k ? Remember the Mayan Y2k Doom ; they
did an expensive movie about that. War Of The
Worlds ? We were suppose to be a post-nukewar
desert full of mutants by the mid 60s too.

There is a rather old book, still in print :

"Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds"
Charles Mackay, 1841

https://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Popular-Delusions-Madness-Crowds/dp/1463740514

It's worth a look.

The HRCC has been selling the "Doomsday Is Next Week"
thing for a couple thousand years now, typically pushed
at about 100 year intervals. Oh, drive around and look
at the signs in front of yer local Baptist churches.

Signs/portents/divinations/etc of doom have strongly
affected many societies across written history.

For whatever cause, people will be skeptical if you
say it's gonna be a good year or even free coffee
with every sale, but prognosticate DOOM and they'll
freak out, worship the doom-sayers feet and fling
themselves into the sea. Jim Jones, Marshall Applewhite,
AlGore, just recent examples of where lots of people
were easily led by doom-saying - sometimes making their
own doom.

Hmmm ... what'd George Carlin say about wet paint ? :-)