From the cradle to the coffin underwear comes first. -- Bertolt Brecht

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: countries, ancient sci

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sciMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sciErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sciswp
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sciJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sciDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sciPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sciDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: countries, ancient sciMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci

<ToKdnWDnWoapCm_8nZ2dnUU7-K3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3621&group=rec.games.trivia#3621

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 06:59:32 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:59 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 4 - Geography - Countries of the World

Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/05-04/world.pdf

We give you the name of a country and you give the number of the
country's outline. Naturally, the outlines are not all to the
same scale, but all of them show north at the top.

1. Japan.
2. Nepal.
3. Finland.
4. Vietnam.
5. Portugal.
6. Ireland.
7. Hungary.
8. Sri Lanka.
9. Switzerland.
10. Libya.

There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to try the
remaining countries for fun, but for no points.

11. Phon.
12. Rtlcg.
13. Senapr.
14. Vfenry.
15. Xraln.
16. Cnxvfgna.
17. Cuvyvccvarf.
18. Fcnva.

* Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients

1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
and planets. What nation?

2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
of surveying. Name it.

3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
what fact?

4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
distance between the two cities, calculated what?

5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
proportional to what?

6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
long, how long is the other side?

7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

9. Archimedes is reputed to have said "Give me a place to stand
on and I will move the Earth!" His work on what fundamental
principle of mechanics prompted the remark?

10. This philosopher made no astronomical observations
whatsoever, yet his statement that all celestial bodies
must be perfectly spherical and move in perfect circles
at uniform speed became the guiding principle of astronomy
until the 17th century. Name him.

--
Mark Brader | "The right thinks the individual
Toronto | isn't important enough to make the decisions
| too important to be left to the individual." --Nick Atty

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci

<XnsAE2CCFEEB22D9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3622&group=rec.games.trivia#3622

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:26:26 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 19:26 UTC

4

> 2. Nepal.

15

8

> 4. Vietnam.

12

7

5

2

> 8. Sri Lanka.

13

> 9. Switzerland.

16

6

> There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to try the
> remaining countries for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Phon.

14

9

> 13. Senapr.

17

1

> 15. Xraln.

17

> 16. Cnxvfgna.

10

> 17. Cuvyvccvarf.

11

> 18. Fcnva.

18

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients
>
> 1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
> considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
> a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
> that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
> and planets. What nation?

Sumeria
> 2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
> as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
> studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
> of surveying. Name it.

Euclid
> 3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
> solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
> Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
> However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
> the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
> what fact?

The Earth is round.
> 4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
> angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
> distance between the two cities, calculated what?

The circumference of Earth.
> 5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
> that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
> proportional to what?

2^(1/12)
> 6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
> if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
> long, how long is the other side?

12
> 7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
> numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
> that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
> these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

Irrational numbers.
> 8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
> 1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
> that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

Squares

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci

<c3f5682c-19a4-47d7-b39b-2e6d1ee69870n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3623&group=rec.games.trivia#3623

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 15:30:44 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 23:30 UTC

4

> 2. Nepal.

15

8

> 4. Vietnam.

12

7

5

2

> 8. Sri Lanka.

13

> 9. Switzerland.

16

6

> There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to try the
> remaining countries for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Cuba.

14

9

3

1

> 15. Kenya.

17

> 16. Pakistan.

10

> 17. Philippines.

11

> 18. Spain.

18

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients
>
> 1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
> considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
> a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
> that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
> and planets. What nation?

babylonia

> 2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
> as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
> studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
> of surveying. Name it.

trigonometry

> 3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
> solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
> Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
> However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
> the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
> what fact?

that the earth is not flat but rather round

> 4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
> angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
> distance between the two cities, calculated what?

the circumference of the earth

> 5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
> that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
> proportional to what?

the length of the string

> 6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
> if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
> long, how long is the other side?

12 inches

> 7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
> numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
> that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
> these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

irrational numbers

> 8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
> 1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
> that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

squares

> 9. Archimedes is reputed to have said "Give me a place to stand
> on and I will move the Earth!" His work on what fundamental
> principle of mechanics prompted the remark?

leverage

> 10. This philosopher made no astronomical observations
> whatsoever, yet his statement that all celestial bodies
> must be perfectly spherical and move in perfect circles
> at uniform speed became the guiding principle of astronomy
> until the 17th century. Name him.

plato

> --
> Mark Brader | "The right thinks the individual
> Toronto | isn't important enough to make the decisions
> m...@vex.net | and the left thinks that decisions are
> | too important to be left to the individual." --Nick Atty
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is concerned about the events of february 23rd 2022

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci

<01c45497-8a0c-4b79-98bb-2fe5243a6dd3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3624&group=rec.games.trivia#3624

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 17:27:00 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 01:27 UTC

4

> 2. Nepal.

15

8

> 4. Vietnam.

12

7

5

2

> 8. Sri Lanka.

13

> 9. Switzerland.

16

6

> There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to try the
> remaining countries for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Phon.

14

9

3

1

> 15. Xraln.

17

> 16. Cnxvfgna.

10

> 17. Cuvyvccvarf.

11

> 18. Fcnva.

18

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients
>
> 1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
> considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
> a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
> that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
> and planets. What nation?

Babylonia

> 2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
> as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
> studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
> of surveying. Name it.

trigonometry

> 3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
> solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
> Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
> However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
> the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
> what fact?

the Earth is spherical

> 4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
> angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
> distance between the two cities, calculated what?

circumference of the Earth

> 5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
> that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
> proportional to what?

length of the string

> 6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
> if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
> long, how long is the other side?

12 inches

> 7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
> numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
> that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
> these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

irrational numbers

> 8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
> 1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
> that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

square numbers

> 9. Archimedes is reputed to have said "Give me a place to stand
> on and I will move the Earth!" His work on what fundamental
> principle of mechanics prompted the remark?

leverage

> 10. This philosopher made no astronomical observations
> whatsoever, yet his statement that all celestial bodies
> must be perfectly spherical and move in perfect circles
> at uniform speed became the guiding principle of astronomy
> until the 17th century. Name him.

Aristotle

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci

<ssvs9k$ju7$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3625&group=rec.games.trivia#3625

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:43:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:43 UTC

4

> 2. Nepal.

15

8

> 4. Vietnam.

12

7

5

2

> 8. Sri Lanka.

13

> 9. Switzerland.

16

6

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients

> 1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
> considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
> a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
> that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
> and planets. What nation?

Babylonia

> 2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
> as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
> studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
> of surveying. Name it.

trigonometry

> 3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
> solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
> Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
> However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
> the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
> what fact?

that the Earth's surface was curved

> 4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
> angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
> distance between the two cities, calculated what?

the circumference of the Earth

> 5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
> that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
> proportional to what?

the length of the string

> 6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
> if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
> long, how long is the other side?

12 inches

> 7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
> numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
> that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
> these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

irrational numbers

> 8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
> 1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
> that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

squares

> 10. This philosopher made no astronomical observations
> whatsoever, yet his statement that all celestial bodies
> must be perfectly spherical and move in perfect circles
> at uniform speed became the guiding principle of astronomy
> until the 17th century. Name him.

Ptolemy

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci

<st1ni7$14u8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3626&group=rec.games.trivia#3626

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:35:03 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:35 UTC

4

> 2. Nepal.

15

8

> 4. Vietnam.

12

7

5

2

> 8. Sri Lanka.

13

> 9. Switzerland.

16

6

> There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to try the
> remaining countries for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Phon.

14

9

3

1

> 15. Xraln.

17

> 16. Cnxvfgna.

10

> 17. Cuvyvccvarf.

11

> 18. Fcnva.

18

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients
>
> 1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
> considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
> a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
> that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
> and planets. What nation?

Persia; Egypt

> 2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
> as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
> studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
> of surveying. Name it.

Algebra; Calculus

> 3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
> solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
> Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
> However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
> the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
> what fact?

Earth is round

> 4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
> angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
> distance between the two cities, calculated what?

Circumference of the Earth

> 5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
> that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
> proportional to what?

The length of the string from the bridge to the point where it is either
pressed against the neck or crosses the "nut".

> 6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
> if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
> long, how long is the other side?

12

> 7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
> numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
> that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
> these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

Negative numbers; Prime numbers

> 8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
> 1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
> that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

Squares

> 9. Archimedes is reputed to have said "Give me a place to stand
> on and I will move the Earth!" His work on what fundamental
> principle of mechanics prompted the remark?

Fulcrum

> 10. This philosopher made no astronomical observations
> whatsoever, yet his statement that all celestial bodies
> must be perfectly spherical and move in perfect circles
> at uniform speed became the guiding principle of astronomy
> until the 17th century. Name him.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: countries, ancient sci

<st24gj$1tr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3627&group=rec.games.trivia#3627

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 17:16:00 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 01:16 UTC

4

> 2. Nepal.

15

8

> 4. Vietnam.

12

7

5

2

> 8. Sri Lanka.

13

> 9. Switzerland.

16

6

> There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to try the
> remaining countries for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Phon.

14

9

3

1

> 15. Xraln.

17

> 16. Cnxvfgna.

10

> 17. Cuvyvccvarf.

11

> 18. Fcnva.

18

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients
>
> 1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
> considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
> a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
> that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
> and planets. What nation?

Babylon

> 2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
> as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
> studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
> of surveying. Name it.

trigonometry

> 3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
> solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
> Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
> However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
> the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
> what fact?

the Earth is spherical

> 4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
> angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
> distance between the two cities, calculated what?

circumference of the Earth

> 5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
> that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
> proportional to what?

the length of the string

> 6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
> if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
> long, how long is the other side?

12 inches

> 7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
> numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
> that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
> these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

irrational

> 8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
> 1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
> that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

perfect squares

> 9. Archimedes is reputed to have said "Give me a place to stand
> on and I will move the Earth!" His work on what fundamental
> principle of mechanics prompted the remark?

the lever

> 10. This philosopher made no astronomical observations
> whatsoever, yet his statement that all celestial bodies
> must be perfectly spherical and move in perfect circles
> at uniform speed became the guiding principle of astronomy
> until the 17th century. Name him.

Plato

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: countries, ancient sci

<xcqdnWp7n5sqx2v8nZ2dnUU7-f_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3628&group=rec.games.trivia#3628

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: countries, ancient sci
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 03:30:31 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:30 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Geography - Countries of the World

> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/05-04/world.pdf

> We give you the name of a country and you give the number of the
> country's outline. Naturally, the outlines are not all to the
> same scale, but all of them show north at the top.

None of these maps have changed.

This was the easiest round in the original game -- and, apparently,
also here.

#4. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

#15. 4 for everyone.

#8. 4 for everyone.

#12. 4 for everyone.

#7. 4 for everyone.

#5. 4 for everyone.

#2. 4 for everyone.

#13. 4 for everyone.

#16. 4 for everyone.

#6. 4 for everyone.

#14. Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

#9. Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

#3. Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

#1. Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

#17. Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

#10. Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

#11. Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

#18. Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque got this.

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - The Ancients

> 1. Around 1200 BC, astronomers from this ancient nation,
> considered the birthplace of western astronomy, produced
> a series of star catalogues, written in cuneiform script
> that contained lists of constellations, individual stars,
> and planets. What nation?

Babylonia. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. This branch of mathematics evolved in the third century BC
> as a branch of geometry used extensively for astronomical
> studies. It is also the foundation of the practical art
> of surveying. Name it.

Trigonometry. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Eratosthenes learned that each year on the day of the summer
> solstice sunlight reached the bottom of a well in Syene,
> Egypt, indicating that the sun was directly overhead.
> However, on the same day in Alexandria, he observed that
> the sun was at an angle from the vertical -- thus proving
> what fact?

That the Earth is round (or, more precisely, not flat). 4 for
everyone.

> 4. Eratosthenes, using these same observations, the specific
> angle of the sun in Alexandria, and an estimate of the
> distance between the two cities, calculated what?

The size of the Earth. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Pythagoras of Samos married music and mathematics by proving
> that the pitch of a note played on a stringed instrument is
> proportional to what?

The length of the string, or its reciprocal, depending on what
exactly is meant by "pitch" being proportional. (Accepting either.)
4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Apply your Pythagorean theorem. In a right-angled triangle,
> if one side is 5 inches long and the hypotenuse is 13 inches
> long, how long is the other side?

12 inches. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Erland and Pete.

I generously scored the meaningless "12" as almost correct.

> 7. Pythagorean mathematicians also discovered a class of
> numbers which could not be precisely expressed in the way
> that numbers previously had been. The Pythagoreans called
> these "unspeakable numbers". What do we call them?

Irrational numbers. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Consider the following sums of successive odd numbers: 1+3,
> 1+3+5, 1+3+5+7, 1+3+5+7+9, and so forth. Pythagoras observed
> that the answers form the sequence of what kind of number?

Square numbers. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Archimedes is reputed to have said "Give me a place to stand
> on and I will move the Earth!" His work on what fundamental
> principle of mechanics prompted the remark?

Leverage. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

"Fulcrum" is a part of a lever setup, not a principle.

> 10. This philosopher made no astronomical observations
> whatsoever, yet his statement that all celestial bodies
> must be perfectly spherical and move in perfect circles
> at uniform speed became the guiding principle of astronomy
> until the 17th century. Name him.

Plato. His student Aristotle was also accepted on a protest.
4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Ptolemy, though, *was* an observational astronomer.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo Geo Sci
Stephen Perry 40 40 40 40 160
Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 40 40 112
Pete Gayde 0 36 40 19 95
Dan Tilque 0 12 40 39 91
Dan Blum 0 8 40 32 80
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 40 19 59

--
Mark Brader "He'll spend at least part of his life
Toronto in prison, or parliament, or both."