Eureka! -- Archimedes

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengeDan Blum
+* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengeswp
|`- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challengeDan Tilque
`* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challengeMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challengeswp
  `- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<3JqdnU4cfcjCvGf8nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3636&group=rec.games.trivia#3636

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 00:14:55 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 06:14 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27

The following are events that happened """today""", throughout the
"""past 200 years""" or so. We give you the information, you name
the February 27 event.

1. What annual party first started in 1827?

2. What American activist was born in 1934?

3. What historic trip was concluded in 1972?

4. What important doctrine did Great Britain recognize in 1897?
Be sufficiently specific.

5. What constitutional amendment did the US Supreme Court defend
in 1922? (Give the amendment number or the subject.)

6. What was occupied in South Dakota in 1973?

7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
attempt in 1962?

8. A sporting defeat was inflicted on the Soviet Union in 1960.
Name the opposing country *and* the sport.

9. The John Jay report was first released in the US in 2004.
What was the topic of this report? Be specific.

10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
$50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?

After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"Zneqv Tenf" be "Ivrganz" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq or zber
fcrpvsvp.

** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round

* A. Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal)

A1. When Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, he was
replaced by this former front man of the band Rainbow. Who?

A2. Name this bassist, lyricist, and a founding member of
Black Sabbath.

* B. Conrad Black (History)

B1. In 1969, Black purchased and operated the "Record", a small
English language daily newspaper in the province of Quebec.
"""Today""" it is the *only* English-language daily newspaper
in Quebec other than the Montreal Gazette. In which *city*
"""is""" it published?

B2. Upon the advice of British Prime Minister Tony Blair,
in 2001 Queen Elizabeth II conferred on Black the dignity
of a life peerage with the name, style, and title of Baron
Black of... where? The answer is one word.

* C. The Black Sea (Geography)

C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
of Marmara.

C2. This metropolis in Russia sprawls for 90 miles (145 km) along
the eastern shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus
Mountains. """Its permanent population of over 343,000
makes it the largest resort city in the country.""" Name it.

* D. Black Sox (Sports)

In 1919 several players on the Chicago White Sox acted to throw
the World Series -- referred to as the "Black Sox" scandal.

D1. For some of the players, the motivation to throw the
series was a dislike of the club owner, who they perceived
as a tightwad. Name him.

D2. An Eliot Asinof book and a 1988 John Sayles movie about
the scandal share a common title. What is it?

* E. Black Song Lyrics (Rock Music)

Given the lyrics, name the song with the word "Black" in the title.

E1. "Hey hey mama said the way you move,
Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove."

E2. "Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me;
Yeah, keep on shinin' your light,
Gonna make everything, pretty mama."

* F. Names from the Black (Etymology)

F1. This name, or slight variations thereof, means "Black"
in many Slavic languages. Think of Canadian actor Henry,
or Austrian composer and music teacher Carl.

F2. This is a surname of Irish or Scottish descent, a corruption
of the Gaelic word meaning dark or black. Think of former
Canadian hockey player Dick, or American singer/actress
Hilary.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
msb@vex.net | bounced. -- Darlene Richards

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<e8d98208-e23c-4c59-8495-cc3ed99c56ean@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3637&group=rec.games.trivia#3637

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 23:56:16 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 07:56 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 12:15:01 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27
>
> The following are events that happened """today""", throughout the
> """past 200 years""" or so. We give you the information, you name
> the February 27 event.
>
> 1. What annual party first started in 1827?

Mardi Gras (in New Orleans)

> 5. What constitutional amendment did the US Supreme Court defend
> in 1922? (Give the amendment number or the subject.)

18th Amendment
> 6. What was occupied in South Dakota in 1973?

Wounded Knee Reservation

> 7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
> attempt in 1962?

South Vietnam
> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?

Shirley Temple

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Zneqv Tenf" be "Ivrganz" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>
> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round
>
> * A. Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal)
>
> A1. When Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, he was
> replaced by this former front man of the band Rainbow. Who?

Dio

> A2. Name this bassist, lyricist, and a founding member of
> Black Sabbath.

Butler

> * B. Conrad Black (History)
>
> B1. In 1969, Black purchased and operated the "Record", a small
> English language daily newspaper in the province of Quebec.
> """Today""" it is the *only* English-language daily newspaper
> in Quebec other than the Montreal Gazette. In which *city*
> """is""" it published?

Sherbrooke

> B2. Upon the advice of British Prime Minister Tony Blair,
> in 2001 Queen Elizabeth II conferred on Black the dignity
> of a life peerage with the name, style, and title of Baron
> Black of... where? The answer is one word.

Crossharbour

> * C. The Black Sea (Geography)
>
> C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
> of Marmara.

Dardanelles

> C2. This metropolis in Russia sprawls for 90 miles (145 km) along
> the eastern shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus
> Mountains. """Its permanent population of over 343,000
> makes it the largest resort city in the country.""" Name it.

Sochi

> * D. Black Sox (Sports)
>
> In 1919 several players on the Chicago White Sox acted to throw
> the World Series -- referred to as the "Black Sox" scandal.
>
> D1. For some of the players, the motivation to throw the
> series was a dislike of the club owner, who they perceived
> as a tightwad. Name him.

Comiskey

> D2. An Eliot Asinof book and a 1988 John Sayles movie about
> the scandal share a common title. What is it?

"Eight Men Out"

> * E. Black Song Lyrics (Rock Music)
>
> Given the lyrics, name the song with the word "Black" in the title.
>
> E1. "Hey hey mama said the way you move,
> Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove."

"Black Dog"

> E2. "Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me;
> Yeah, keep on shinin' your light,
> Gonna make everything, pretty mama."

"Black Water"

> * F. Names from the Black (Etymology)
>
> F1. This name, or slight variations thereof, means "Black"
> in many Slavic languages. Think of Canadian actor Henry,
> or Austrian composer and music teacher Carl.

Czerny

> F2. This is a surname of Irish or Scottish descent, a corruption
> of the Gaelic word meaning dark or black. Think of former
> Canadian hockey player Dick, or American singer/actress
> Hilary.

Swank (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<XnsAE32CCAE8A499Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3638&group=rec.games.trivia#3638

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 20:07:15 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 19:07 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27
>
> The following are events that happened """today""", throughout the
> """past 200 years""" or so. We give you the information, you name
> the February 27 event.
>
> 2. What American activist was born in 1934?

Martin Luther King Jr
> 3. What historic trip was concluded in 1972?

First commercial supersonic flight.
> 7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
> attempt in 1962?

South Vietnam
> 8. A sporting defeat was inflicted on the Soviet Union in 1960.
> Name the opposing country *and* the sport.

USA. Ice hockey.

> 9. The John Jay report was first released in the US in 2004.
> What was the topic of this report? Be specific.

The conditions in the Abu Ghariib prison.
> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?

Greta Garbo
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Zneqv Tenf" be "Ivrganz" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round
>
> * A. Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal)
>
> A1. When Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, he was
> replaced by this former front man of the band Rainbow. Who?

Ronnie James Dio
> A2. Name this bassist, lyricist, and a founding member of
> Black Sabbath.

Geezer Butler
> * C. The Black Sea (Geography)
>
> C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
> of Marmara.

Dardanelles
> C2. This metropolis in Russia sprawls for 90 miles (145 km) along
> the eastern shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus
> Mountains. """Its permanent population of over 343,000
> makes it the largest resort city in the country.""" Name it.

Sochi
> * E. Black Song Lyrics (Rock Music)
>
> Given the lyrics, name the song with the word "Black" in the title.
>
> E1. "Hey hey mama said the way you move,
> Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove."

Black Dog
> E2. "Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me;
> Yeah, keep on shinin' your light,
> Gonna make everything, pretty mama."

Black Night
> * F. Names from the Black (Etymology)
>
> F1. This name, or slight variations thereof, means "Black"
> in many Slavic languages. Think of Canadian actor Henry,
> or Austrian composer and music teacher Carl.

Czerny
> F2. This is a surname of Irish or Scottish descent, a corruption
> of the Gaelic word meaning dark or black. Think of former
> Canadian hockey player Dick, or American singer/actress
> Hilary.
Dubh

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<steofb$1927$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3639&group=rec.games.trivia#3639

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 14:10:19 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:10 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27
>
> The following are events that happened """today""", throughout the
> """past 200 years""" or so. We give you the information, you name
> the February 27 event.
>
> 1. What annual party first started in 1827?

Mardi Gras in New Orleans

> 2. What American activist was born in 1934?

Jesse Jackson

> 3. What historic trip was concluded in 1972?

Nixon's visit to China

> 4. What important doctrine did Great Britain recognize in 1897?
> Be sufficiently specific.

Monroe Doctrine

> 5. What constitutional amendment did the US Supreme Court defend
> in 1922? (Give the amendment number or the subject.)

Prohibition; Women's Suffrage

> 6. What was occupied in South Dakota in 1973?

Wounded Knee

> 7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
> attempt in 1962?

Indonesia

> 8. A sporting defeat was inflicted on the Soviet Union in 1960.
> Name the opposing country *and* the sport.

United States and Ice Hockey

> 9. The John Jay report was first released in the US in 2004.
> What was the topic of this report? Be specific.
>
> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?

Clark Gable; Judy Garland

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Zneqv Tenf" be "Ivrganz" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round
>
> * A. Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal)
>
> A1. When Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, he was
> replaced by this former front man of the band Rainbow. Who?

Ronnie James Dio

> A2. Name this bassist, lyricist, and a founding member of
> Black Sabbath.

Geezer Butler

> * B. Conrad Black (History)
>
> B1. In 1969, Black purchased and operated the "Record", a small
> English language daily newspaper in the province of Quebec.
> """Today""" it is the *only* English-language daily newspaper
> in Quebec other than the Montreal Gazette. In which *city*
> """is""" it published?

St. Foy; Laval

> B2. Upon the advice of British Prime Minister Tony Blair,
> in 2001 Queen Elizabeth II conferred on Black the dignity
> of a life peerage with the name, style, and title of Baron
> Black of... where? The answer is one word.
>

> * C. The Black Sea (Geography)
>
> C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
> of Marmara.

Bosporus

> C2. This metropolis in Russia sprawls for 90 miles (145 km) along
> the eastern shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus
> Mountains. """Its permanent population of over 343,000
> makes it the largest resort city in the country.""" Name it.

Odessa

> * D. Black Sox (Sports)
>
> In 1919 several players on the Chicago White Sox acted to throw
> the World Series -- referred to as the "Black Sox" scandal.
>
> D1. For some of the players, the motivation to throw the
> series was a dislike of the club owner, who they perceived
> as a tightwad. Name him.

Comiskey

> D2. An Eliot Asinof book and a 1988 John Sayles movie about
> the scandal share a common title. What is it?

Eight Men Out

> * E. Black Song Lyrics (Rock Music)
>
> Given the lyrics, name the song with the word "Black" in the title.
>
> E1. "Hey hey mama said the way you move,
> Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove."

Black Dog

> E2. "Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me;
> Yeah, keep on shinin' your light,
> Gonna make everything, pretty mama."

Black Water

> * F. Names from the Black (Etymology)
>
> F1. This name, or slight variations thereof, means "Black"
> in many Slavic languages. Think of Canadian actor Henry,
> or Austrian composer and music teacher Carl.

Orff

> F2. This is a surname of Irish or Scottish descent, a corruption
> of the Gaelic word meaning dark or black. Think of former
> Canadian hockey player Dick, or American singer/actress
> Hilary.

Duff

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<stf32r$im7$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3640&group=rec.games.trivia#3640

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 23:11:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 23:11 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27

> 1. What annual party first started in 1827?

Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans

> 2. What American activist was born in 1934?

Martin Luther King Jr.

> 3. What historic trip was concluded in 1972?

Nixon's visit to China

> 5. What constitutional amendment did the US Supreme Court defend
> in 1922? (Give the amendment number or the subject.)

federal income tax

> 6. What was occupied in South Dakota in 1973?

Wounded Knee

> 7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
> attempt in 1962?

South Vietnam

> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?

Clark Gable

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round

> * C. The Black Sea (Geography)

> C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
> of Marmara.

Bosporous

> C2. This metropolis in Russia sprawls for 90 miles (145 km) along
> the eastern shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus
> Mountains. """Its permanent population of over 343,000
> makes it the largest resort city in the country.""" Name it.

Sochi; Odessa

> * D. Black Sox (Sports)

> D2. An Eliot Asinof book and a 1988 John Sayles movie about
> the scandal share a common title. What is it?

Eight Men Out

> * F. Names from the Black (Etymology)

> F1. This name, or slight variations thereof, means "Black"
> in many Slavic languages. Think of Canadian actor Henry,
> or Austrian composer and music teacher Carl.

Chorn

> F2. This is a surname of Irish or Scottish descent, a corruption
> of the Gaelic word meaning dark or black. Think of former
> Canadian hockey player Dick, or American singer/actress
> Hilary.

Duff

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<26dcce63-1244-45ab-a3d4-a52c7ff9a712n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3641&group=rec.games.trivia#3641

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 16:23:42 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 00:23 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 1:15:01 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27
>
> The following are events that happened """today""", throughout the
> """past 200 years""" or so. We give you the information, you name
> the February 27 event.
>
> 1. What annual party first started in 1827?

mardi gras in new orleans

> 2. What American activist was born in 1934?

ralph nader

> 3. What historic trip was concluded in 1972?

tricky dick nixon's visit to china

> 4. What important doctrine did Great Britain recognize in 1897?
> Be sufficiently specific.

the monroe doctrine, keeping the americas under u.s. dominion and not europe's

> 5. What constitutional amendment did the US Supreme Court defend
> in 1922? (Give the amendment number or the subject.)

19

> 6. What was occupied in South Dakota in 1973?

.... sioux massacre site at wounded knee

> 7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
> attempt in 1962?

south vietnam ; north vietnam

> 8. A sporting defeat was inflicted on the Soviet Union in 1960.
> Name the opposing country *and* the sport.

united states, ice hockey

> 9. The John Jay report was first released in the US in 2004.
> What was the topic of this report? Be specific.

catholic priests sexual abuse of children

> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?

shirley temple ; charlie chaplin

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: If you said
> "Mardi Gras" or "Vietnam" for any answer, go back and be more
> specific.

crud. done for vietnam

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round
>
> * A. Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal)
>
> A1. When Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, he was
> replaced by this former front man of the band Rainbow. Who?

ronny james dio

> A2. Name this bassist, lyricist, and a founding member of
> Black Sabbath.

geezer butler

> * B. Conrad Black (History)
>
> B1. In 1969, Black purchased and operated the "Record", a small
> English language daily newspaper in the province of Quebec.
> """Today""" it is the *only* English-language daily newspaper
> in Quebec other than the Montreal Gazette. In which *city*
> """is""" it published?

quebec?

> B2. Upon the advice of British Prime Minister Tony Blair,
> in 2001 Queen Elizabeth II conferred on Black the dignity
> of a life peerage with the name, style, and title of Baron
> Black of... where? The answer is one word.

millhaveninstitution

> * C. The Black Sea (Geography)
>
> C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
> of Marmara.

the bosphorus

> C2. This metropolis in Russia sprawls for 90 miles (145 km) along
> the eastern shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus
> Mountains. """Its permanent population of over 343,000
> makes it the largest resort city in the country.""" Name it.

sochi

> * D. Black Sox (Sports)
>
> In 1919 several players on the Chicago White Sox acted to throw
> the World Series -- referred to as the "Black Sox" scandal.
>
> D1. For some of the players, the motivation to throw the
> series was a dislike of the club owner, who they perceived
> as a tightwad. Name him.

comiskey

> D2. An Eliot Asinof book and a 1988 John Sayles movie about
> the scandal share a common title. What is it?

eight men out

> * E. Black Song Lyrics (Rock Music)
>
> Given the lyrics, name the song with the word "Black" in the title.
>
> E1. "Hey hey mama said the way you move,
> Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove."

black dog

> E2. "Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me;
> Yeah, keep on shinin' your light,
> Gonna make everything, pretty mama."

black water

> * F. Names from the Black (Etymology)
>
> F1. This name, or slight variations thereof, means "Black"
> in many Slavic languages. Think of Canadian actor Henry,
> or Austrian composer and music teacher Carl.

czerny ?

> F2. This is a surname of Irish or Scottish descent, a corruption
> of the Gaelic word meaning dark or black. Think of former
> Canadian hockey player Dick, or American singer/actress
> Hilary.

duff

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
> m...@vex.net | bounced. -- Darlene Richards
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is not happy with punxsutawney phil

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<AKKdnc-LfahO2Wb8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3642&group=rec.games.trivia#3642

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 20:58:27 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 02:58 UTC

Stephen Perry:
> millhaveninstitution

Chortle.
--
Mark Brader | "...there are lots of things that I don't remember,
Toronto | but if you ask for an example, I can't remember any."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Feb. 27, black challenge

<stgha7$a5o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3643&group=rec.games.trivia#3643

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 04:20:21 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 12:20 UTC

On 2/1/22 22:14, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27
>
> The following are events that happened """today""", throughout the
> """past 200 years""" or so. We give you the information, you name
> the February 27 event.
>
> 1. What annual party first started in 1827?
>
> 2. What American activist was born in 1934?
>
> 3. What historic trip was concluded in 1972?
>
> 4. What important doctrine did Great Britain recognize in 1897?
> Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 5. What constitutional amendment did the US Supreme Court defend
> in 1922? (Give the amendment number or the subject.)

18th

> 6. What was occupied in South Dakota in 1973?
>
> 7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
> attempt in 1962?
>
> 8. A sporting defeat was inflicted on the Soviet Union in 1960.
> Name the opposing country *and* the sport.

USA, hockey

> 9. The John Jay report was first released in the US in 2004.
> What was the topic of this report? Be specific.
>
> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?
>
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Zneqv Tenf" be "Ivrganz" sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round
>
> * A. Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal)
>
> A1. When Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, he was
> replaced by this former front man of the band Rainbow. Who?
>
> A2. Name this bassist, lyricist, and a founding member of
> Black Sabbath.
>

> * B. Conrad Black (History)
>
> B1. In 1969, Black purchased and operated the "Record", a small
> English language daily newspaper in the province of Quebec.
> """Today""" it is the *only* English-language daily newspaper
> in Quebec other than the Montreal Gazette. In which *city*
> """is""" it published?
>
> B2. Upon the advice of British Prime Minister Tony Blair,
> in 2001 Queen Elizabeth II conferred on Black the dignity
> of a life peerage with the name, style, and title of Baron
> Black of... where? The answer is one word.
>

> * C. The Black Sea (Geography)
>
> C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
> of Marmara.

Bosporus

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challenge

<joednVvCVZQikWP8nZ2dnUU7-VfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3644&group=rec.games.trivia#3644

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 23:35:59 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 05:35 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and Stephen Perry has WHOMPED THE FIELD.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27

> The following are events that happened """today""", throughout the
> """past 200 years""" or so. We give you the information, you name
> the February 27 event.

> 1. What annual party first started in 1827?

Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The city was required. Adding "parade"
make it almost correct; the parade did not start until 1857.
4 for Joshua, Pete, and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. What American activist was born in 1934?

Ralph Nader. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. What historic trip was concluded in 1972?

Richard Nixon's visit to Communist China. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

The first supersonic commercial flight, by the Tu-144 in freighter
service, was in 1975.

> 4. What important doctrine did Great Britain recognize in 1897?
> Be sufficiently specific.

The Monroe doctrine as interpreted by President Cleveland -- basically
that the US had a legitimate interest in the whole of the Americas.
The original Monroe doctrine was more to the effect that European
countries did not, and when "Monroe doctrine" alone was given as an
answer, it was not accepted, even on a protest; I am nevertheless
scoring it as almost correct. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 5. What constitutional amendment did the US Supreme Court defend
> in 1922? (Give the amendment number or the subject.)

19th; women's suffrage. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

The claims dismissed by the court were to the effect that the
Constitution did not permit an amendment so far-reaching in
character, and that its ratification was defective.

Some entrants named the 18th Amendment, establishing Prohibition.
If Wikipedia is correct, this amendment was defended by the Supreme
Court in 1920 (when the validity of its ratification in Ohio
was disputed) and in 1921 (when it was claimed that an amendment
including a deadline for its own ratification was unconstitutional).
If someone has evidence of it coming before the court again in 1922,
please post a protest.

> 6. What was occupied in South Dakota in 1973?

Wounded Knee (a site were Sioux were massacred in 1890). 4 for Pete,
Dan Blum, and Stephen.

I did not accept "Wounded Knee Reservation"; the battle site was
not a reservation, but was occupied as a protest.

> 7. The president of which Southeast Asian country survived a coup
> attempt in 1962?

South Vietnam. (President Ngo Dinh Diem.) 4 for Joshua, Erland,
and Dan Blum. 3 for Stephen.

President Sukarno of Indonesia did also survive a coup attempt in that
decade, but it was in 1965.

> 8. A sporting defeat was inflicted on the Soviet Union in 1960.
> Name the opposing country *and* the sport.

US, hockey. (In the Winter Olympics.) 4 for Erland, Pete, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. The John Jay report was first released in the US in 2004.
> What was the topic of this report? Be specific.

Sexual abuse of minors by Catholic priests. 4 for Stephen.

One entrant said it was the conditions in Abu Ghraib prison. There
was a report on that in 2004 too, but it was called the Taguba report.

> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?

Shirley Temple. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 11. Whose birth made this series of contest postings possible?

Stuart Brader (1923-2010).

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - The Black Challenge Round

> * A. Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal)

> A1. When Ozzy Osbourne was fired from the band in 1979, he was
> replaced by this former front man of the band Rainbow. Who?

Ronny James Dio. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Pete, and Stephen.

> A2. Name this bassist, lyricist, and a founding member of
> Black Sabbath.

Terrence "Geezer" Butler. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Pete, and Stephen.

> * B. Conrad Black (History)

> B1. In 1969, Black purchased and operated the "Record", a small
> English language daily newspaper in the province of Quebec.
> """Today""" it is the *only* English-language daily newspaper
> in Quebec other than the Montreal Gazette. In which *city*
> """is""" it published?

Sherbrooke. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

> B2. Upon the advice of British Prime Minister Tony Blair,
> in 2001 Queen Elizabeth II conferred on Black the dignity
> of a life peerage with the name, style, and title of Baron
> Black of... where? The answer is one word.

Crossharbour. 4 for Joshua.

> * C. The Black Sea (Geography)

> C1. Name the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea
> of Marmara.

Bosporus or Bosphorus. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

The Dardanelles is the strait running the other way from the Sea of
Marmara, connecting to the Mediterranean.

> C2. This metropolis in Russia sprawls for 90 miles (145 km) along
> the eastern shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus
> Mountains. """Its permanent population of over 343,000
> makes it the largest resort city in the country.""" Name it.

Sochi (still true; the population is now about 443,000; it was the
site of the 2014 Winter Olympics). 4 for Joshua, Erland, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

Odessa is on the northwest side of the Black Sea, in Ukraine.

> * D. Black Sox (Sports)

> In 1919 several players on the Chicago White Sox acted to throw
> the World Series -- referred to as the "Black Sox" scandal.

> D1. For some of the players, the motivation to throw the
> series was a dislike of the club owner, who they perceived
> as a tightwad. Name him.

Charles Comiskey. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

William Wrigley Jr. owned the Chicago Cubs.

> D2. An Eliot Asinof book and a 1988 John Sayles movie about
> the scandal share a common title. What is it?

"Eight Men Out". 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> * E. Black Song Lyrics (Rock Music)

> Given the lyrics, name the song with the word "Black" in the title.

> E1. "Hey hey mama said the way you move,
> Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove."

"Black Dog" (Led Zeppelin). 4 for Joshua, Erland, Pete, and Stephen.

> E2. "Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me;
> Yeah, keep on shinin' your light,
> Gonna make everything, pretty mama."

"Black Water" (Doobie Brothers). 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> * F. Names from the Black (Etymology)

> F1. This name, or slight variations thereof, means "Black"
> in many Slavic languages. Think of Canadian actor Henry,
> or Austrian composer and music teacher Carl.

Cherny (Czerny, Chorny, Cerny, etc.). 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> F2. This is a surname of Irish or Scottish descent, a corruption
> of the Gaelic word meaning dark or black. Think of former
> Canadian hockey player Dick, or American singer/actress
> Hilary.

Duff. I scored the actual Gaelic word (dubh) as almost correct,
as it is not the surname of those people. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum,
and Stephen. 3 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Geo Sci Lit Ent His Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 40 40 40 39 40 39 40 240
Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 40 40 32 36 12 40 216
Dan Blum 0 8 40 32 32 27 15 19 165
Pete Gayde 0 36 40 19 12 16 21 32 164
Dan Tilque 0 12 40 39 4 0 4 12 111
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 40 19 -- -- 8 23 90

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You are not the customer,
msb@vex.net you are the product."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challenge

<81e42ed8-b37a-4aa5-8b1b-9ab4bcf314a3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3646&group=rec.games.trivia#3646

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 22:00:07 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 06:00 UTC

On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 12:36:06 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-27,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> > see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> > the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
> Game 5 is over and Stephen Perry has WHOMPED THE FIELD.
> Hearty congratulations!

thank you

> > ** Game 5, Round 9 - History - It Happened on February 27

>> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
> > $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?
> Shirley Temple. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

I think I should only get 3 on this one

> Scores, if there are no errors:

see above

> GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
> TOPICS-> Can Spo Geo Sci Lit Ent His Cha SIX
> Stephen Perry 40 40 40 40 39 40 39 40 240
> Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 40 40 32 36 12 40 216
> Dan Blum 0 8 40 32 32 27 15 19 165
> Pete Gayde 0 36 40 19 12 16 21 32 164
> Dan Tilque 0 12 40 39 4 0 4 12 111
> Erland Sommarskog -- -- 40 19 -- -- 8 23 90

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "You are not the customer,
> m...@vex.net you are the product."
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 5, Rounds 9-10 answers: Feb. 27, black challenge

<tPidnVehb4B9ZWP8nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3651&group=rec.games.trivia#3651

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 16:23:28 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 22:23 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 10. Who signed a contract with 20th Century Fox in 1936 to receive
>>> $50,000 a picture, one of the highest salaries of the time?
>> Shirley Temple. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.
Stephen Perry:
> I think I should only get 3 on this one

Oops, right. Since this was not one of Stephen's 6 best rounds, the
final score is unaffected anyway.
> Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Geo Sci Lit Ent His Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 40 40 40 39 40 38 40 240
Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 40 40 32 36 12 40 216
Dan Blum 0 8 40 32 32 27 15 19 165
Pete Gayde 0 36 40 19 12 16 21 32 164
Dan Tilque 0 12 40 39 4 0 4 12 111
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 40 19 -- -- 8 23 90

--
Mark Brader | this take
Toronto | "If is shall really to