Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. -- Aleister Crowley

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaurs

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaursMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaursJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaursErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaursDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaursswp
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaursDan Tilque
`* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaursMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaursErland Sommarskog
  `- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaursMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaurs

<6rSdneko1cockGP8nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3645&group=rec.games.trivia#3645

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaurs
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 23:39:13 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 05:39 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Which Colombian group is abandoning the practice of kidnapping
people for ransom?

2. One of the world's leading scientific journals is accusing the
Harper government of limiting its scientists from speaking
publicly about their research. Name it.

* Game 6, Round 2 - Sports History - History of Sports

10 questions about the history of various sports.

1. Who was the baseball executive who signed Jackie Robinson to
a contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers?

2. Earl Lloyd was the first African-American to play in which
league?

3. Who is widely, but incorrectly, reputed to have invented baseball
in 1839?

4. Who is the Canadian that invented basketball?

5. Which famous golf tournament was first played in 1934? Winner of
the inaugural competition was Horton Smith.

6. Which Scottish golf course is known as the birthplace of golf?

7. Within one year, in what year did the NHL play its first game?

8. Another question on the NHL's inaugural season. As well as
several teams based in Toronto and Montreal, the league admitted
two teams from other cities. Name *either* team (city or team
name acceptable).

9. Who developed, in 1867, the modern rules of boxing?

10. Who produced a 10-part documentary TV series on the history
of baseball?

* Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Dinosaurs

We give you the name of a dinosaur; you give us the number of
the picture from the 2-page handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/06-03/dino.pdf

1. Pachyrhinosaurus.
2. Ankylosaurus.
3. Velociraptor.
4. Compsognathus.
5. Edmontonsaurus.
6. Archeopteryx.
7. Stegosuarus.
8. Brachiosaurus.
9. Plesiosaurus.
10. Megalosaurus.

There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 and name them if you like
for fun, but for no points.

11. Nyoregbfnhehf.
12. Qrvabalpuhf.
13. Tnyyvzvzhf.
14. Unqebfnhehf.
15. Vthnanqba.
16. Cebgbprengbcf.
17. Cgrenanqba.
18. Gevprengbcf.

--
Mark Brader | "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road
Toronto | without having their motives questioned."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaurs

<16f3a6b3-ebf2-4c42-91bf-67d04de65e08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3647&group=rec.games.trivia#3647

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 01:30:19 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 09:30 UTC

On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 11:39:19 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Which Colombian group is abandoning the practice of kidnapping
> people for ransom?

FARC (?)
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports History - History of Sports
>
> 10 questions about the history of various sports.
>
> 1. Who was the baseball executive who signed Jackie Robinson to
> a contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers?

Rickey
> 2. Earl Lloyd was the first African-American to play in which
> league?

NBA

> 3. Who is widely, but incorrectly, reputed to have invented baseball
> in 1839?

Doubleday

> 4. Who is the Canadian that invented basketball?

Naismith

> 5. Which famous golf tournament was first played in 1934? Winner of
> the inaugural competition was Horton Smith.

The Masters

> 6. Which Scottish golf course is known as the birthplace of golf?

St. Andrew's

> 7. Within one year, in what year did the NHL play its first game?

1920

> 8. Another question on the NHL's inaugural season. As well as
> several teams based in Toronto and Montreal, the league admitted
> two teams from other cities. Name *either* team (city or team
> name acceptable).

New York; Boston

> 9. Who developed, in 1867, the modern rules of boxing?

The Marquess of Queensberry

> 10. Who produced a 10-part documentary TV series on the history
> of baseball?

Ken Burns

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Dinosaurs
>
> We give you the name of a dinosaur; you give us the number of
> the picture from the 2-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/06-03/dino.pdf
>
> 1. Pachyrhinosaurus.

14

2

> 3. Velociraptor.

13; 7

> 4. Compsognathus.

1; 5

> 5. Edmontonsaurus.

6; 8

> 6. Archeopteryx.

7; 13

> 7. Stegosuarus.

17

> 8. Brachiosaurus.

3; 4

> 9. Plesiosaurus.

10

> 10. Megalosaurus.

Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaurs

<XnsAE356EF148D89Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3648&group=rec.games.trivia#3648

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 10:54:21 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 09:54 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Which Colombian group is abandoning the practice of kidnapping
> people for ransom?

FARC
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports History - History of Sports
>
> 6. Which Scottish golf course is known as the birthplace of golf?

St. Andrews

> 7. Within one year, in what year did the NHL play its first game?

1919
> 8. Another question on the NHL's inaugural season. As well as
> several teams based in Toronto and Montreal, the league admitted
> two teams from other cities. Name *either* team (city or team
> name acceptable).

Ottawa
> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Dinosaurs
>
> 6. Archeopteryx.

7

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaurs

<stm477$bdf$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3649&group=rec.games.trivia#3649

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 15:13:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 15:13 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 1. Which Colombian group is abandoning the practice of kidnapping
> people for ransom?

FARC

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports History - History of Sports

> 2. Earl Lloyd was the first African-American to play in which
> league?

NHL; NBA

> 3. Who is widely, but incorrectly, reputed to have invented baseball
> in 1839?

Abner Doubleday

> 4. Who is the Canadian that invented basketball?

James Naismith

> 5. Which famous golf tournament was first played in 1934? Winner of
> the inaugural competition was Horton Smith.

Masters

> 6. Which Scottish golf course is known as the birthplace of golf?

St. Andrew's

> 7. Within one year, in what year did the NHL play its first game?

1920

> 8. Another question on the NHL's inaugural season. As well as
> several teams based in Toronto and Montreal, the league admitted
> two teams from other cities. Name *either* team (city or team
> name acceptable).

Boston

> 9. Who developed, in 1867, the modern rules of boxing?

Marquis of Queensberry

> 10. Who produced a 10-part documentary TV series on the history
> of baseball?

Ken Burns

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Dinosaurs

> We give you the name of a dinosaur; you give us the number of
> the picture from the 2-page handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/06-03/dino.pdf

> 1. Pachyrhinosaurus.

14; 12

2

> 3. Velociraptor.

11; 5

> 4. Compsognathus.

16; 8

> 5. Edmontonsaurus.

6; 9

7

> 7. Stegosuarus.

17

4

> 9. Plesiosaurus.

10

> 10. Megalosaurus.

1; 6

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaurs

<128eb5c1-6c4a-4a13-b1d8-dcf292610280n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3650&group=rec.games.trivia#3650

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 14:05:24 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 22:05 UTC

On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 12:39:19 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Which Colombian group is abandoning the practice of kidnapping
> people for ransom?

the farc rebels

> 2. One of the world's leading scientific journals is accusing the
> Harper government of limiting its scientists from speaking
> publicly about their research. Name it.

nature

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports History - History of Sports
>
> 10 questions about the history of various sports.
>
> 1. Who was the baseball executive who signed Jackie Robinson to
> a contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers?

rickey

> 2. Earl Lloyd was the first African-American to play in which
> league?

nba

> 3. Who is widely, but incorrectly, reputed to have invented baseball
> in 1839?

abner doubleday

> 4. Who is the Canadian that invented basketball?

jim naismith

> 5. Which famous golf tournament was first played in 1934? Winner of
> the inaugural competition was Horton Smith.

the masters

> 6. Which Scottish golf course is known as the birthplace of golf?

st andrews

> 7. Within one year, in what year did the NHL play its first game?

1917

> 8. Another question on the NHL's inaugural season. As well as
> several teams based in Toronto and Montreal, the league admitted
> two teams from other cities. Name *either* team (city or team
> name acceptable).

quebec, ottawa

> 9. Who developed, in 1867, the modern rules of boxing?

marquis de queensbury

> 10. Who produced a 10-part documentary TV series on the history
> of baseball?

ken burns

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Dinosaurs
>
> We give you the name of a dinosaur; you give us the number of
> the picture from the 2-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/06-03/dino.pdf
>
> 1. Pachyrhinosaurus.

14

2

> 3. Velociraptor.

11

> 4. Compsognathus.

18

> 5. Edmontonsaurus.

12

7

> 7. Stegosuarus.

17

4

> 9. Plesiosaurus.

10

6

1

5

3

> 14. Hadrosaurus.

16

9

8

> 17. Pteranadon.

13

> 18. Triceratops.

15

> --
> Mark Brader | "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road
> Toronto | without having their motives questioned."
> m...@vex.net | --not Bill Murray
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is confident that the road will have its vengeance

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Sports history, dinosaurs

<stsa1q$s9r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3652&group=rec.games.trivia#3652

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 15:29:59 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 23:29 UTC

On 2/4/22 21:39, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Which Colombian group is abandoning the practice of kidnapping
> people for ransom?
>
> 2. One of the world's leading scientific journals is accusing the
> Harper government of limiting its scientists from speaking
> publicly about their research. Name it.
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports History - History of Sports
>
> 10 questions about the history of various sports.
>
> 1. Who was the baseball executive who signed Jackie Robinson to
> a contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers?
>
> 2. Earl Lloyd was the first African-American to play in which
> league?

NHL

> 3. Who is widely, but incorrectly, reputed to have invented baseball
> in 1839?

Abner Doubleday

> 4. Who is the Canadian that invented basketball?

Naismith

> 5. Which famous golf tournament was first played in 1934? Winner of
> the inaugural competition was Horton Smith.

Masters

> 6. Which Scottish golf course is known as the birthplace of golf?

St Andrews

> 7. Within one year, in what year did the NHL play its first game?

1928

> 8. Another question on the NHL's inaugural season. As well as
> several teams based in Toronto and Montreal, the league admitted
> two teams from other cities. Name *either* team (city or team
> name acceptable).

Hamilton

> 9. Who developed, in 1867, the modern rules of boxing?

Marquess of Queensberry

> 10. Who produced a 10-part documentary TV series on the history
> of baseball?

Ken Burns

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Dinosaurs
>
> We give you the name of a dinosaur; you give us the number of
> the picture from the 2-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/06-03/dino.pdf
>
> 1. Pachyrhinosaurus.

14

2

> 3. Velociraptor.

18

7

> 7. Stegosuarus.

17

> 8. Brachiosaurus.
> 9. Plesiosaurus.

13

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaurs

<C9mdnQ2mSrLpZpz_nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3653&group=rec.games.trivia#3653

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaurs
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 23:11:16 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 05:11 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Which Colombian group is abandoning the practice of kidnapping
> people for ransom?

FARC ("Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia"). Joshua, Erland,
Dan Blum, and Stephen got this.

> 2. One of the world's leading scientific journals is accusing the
> Harper government of limiting its scientists from speaking
> publicly about their research. Name it.

"Nature". Stephen got this.

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Sports History - History of Sports

> 10 questions about the history of various sports.

> 1. Who was the baseball executive who signed Jackie Robinson to
> a contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers?

Branch Rickey. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 2. Earl Lloyd was the first African-American to play in which
> league?

NBA. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Who is widely, but incorrectly, reputed to have invented baseball
> in 1839?

Abner Doubleday. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

The game has a complicated history that does not feature a single
inventor.

> 4. Who is the Canadian that invented basketball?

James Naismith. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Which famous golf tournament was first played in 1934? Winner of
> the inaugural competition was Horton Smith.

The Masters. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Which Scottish golf course is known as the birthplace of golf?

St. Andrews. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Within one year, in what year did the NHL play its first game?

1917 (accepting 1916-18). 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Another question on the NHL's inaugural season. As well as
> several teams based in Toronto and Montreal, the league admitted
> two teams from other cities. Name *either* team (city or team
> name acceptable).

Quebec Bulldogs (who did not actually play in the NHL until 1919,
then moved to become the Hamilton Tigers in 1920 and folded in 1925);
Ottawa Senators (who moved to become the St. Louis Eagles in 1934
and folded in 1935; the present team of the same name is unrelated).
4 for Erland and Stephen (the hard way).

Two entrants guessed US cities, apparently forgetting the name of
the league.

> 9. Who developed, in 1867, the modern rules of boxing?

John Douglas, Marquess of Queensberry. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Who produced a 10-part documentary TV series on the history
> of baseball?

Ken Burns. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

#14. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

#2. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

#11. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

#18. 4 for Stephen.

#12. 4 for Stephen.

#7. This one's airborne. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

#17. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

#4. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

#10. This one's aquatic. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

#6. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Dan Blum.

> There were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 and name them if you like
> for fun, but for no points.

Only Stephen tried these, and he got all of them, too.

#1.

#5.

#3.

#16.

#9.

#8.

#13.

#15.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Sci
Stephen Perry 40 40 80
Dan Blum 26 28 54
Joshua Kreitzer 32 21 53
Dan Tilque 24 16 40
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are informed many things,
msb@vex.net | some of them correct." --Greg Goss

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaurs

<XnsAE38CD7E845C3Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3656&group=rec.games.trivia#3656

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 20:12:03 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:12 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Two entrants guessed US cities, apparently forgetting the name of
> the league.

Or which nation the league originates from!

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Sports history, dinosaurs

<Ob6dnWoi97mgsZ7_nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3658&group=rec.games.trivia#3658

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 20:51:41 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 02:51 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > Two entrants guessed US cities, apparently forgetting the name of
> > the league.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Or which nation the league originates from!

Only if they didn't read the question!
--
Mark Brader | "In a perfect world, the person of authority responds
Toronto | to needs rather than to demands. That's not the way