It is better to kiss an avocado than to get in a fight with an aardvark.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: structures, March challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challengeswp
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challengeErland Sommarskog
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: structures, March challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challenge

<uNidnUE_IuRGdJT_nZ2dnUU7-RXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3671&group=rec.games.trivia#3671

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:34:19 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 05:34 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 6, Round 9 - History - Famous Structures

We give some pertinent information about famous structures --
or complexes -- in history, and you name them.

1. One of the wonders of ancient Egyptian architecture, it
"""adjoins""" the pyramids of Giza and """has""" a length of
240 feet (75 m). It was built during the 4th dynasty.

2. This bronze statue of Helios, about 105 feet (32 m) high, was
the work of sculptor Chares, who reportedly labored for
12 years before completing it in 280 BC. It was destroyed by
an earthquake in 224 BC.

3. One of the greatest examples of Byzantine architecture, it was
begun in the 9th century in Venice. Partially destroyed by
fire in 976, it was later rebuilt as a Byzantine edifice.

4. Built in 1632-50 by Shah Jahan as a tomb for his wife, """it's"""
considered by some to be the most perfect example of the Mogul
style and by some to be the most beautiful building in the world.

5. Completed in 537, this building has served as a cathedral and
a mosque, and """is now""" a public museum. Famous in particular
for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine
architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for
nearly 1,000 years until the Seville cathedral was completed
in 1520.

6. It """extends""" from 5th to 6th Av. (aka Av. of the Americas)
between 48th and 52nd Sts., and halfway to 7th Av. between 47th
and 51st Sts. It """occupies""" more than 22 acres (9 ha) and
"""has""" 19 buildings in total.

7. This """is""" one of the most beautiful examples of Cambodian
or Khmer architecture. This sanctuary was built in the 12th
century.

8. Built 1248-1354 and located in Granada, Spain, it """is"""
universally esteemed as one of the great masterpieces of Moslem
architecture. It was designed as a palace and fortress for
the Moorish monarchs of Granada.

9. This structure was supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar about
600 BC to please his queen, Amuhia. Archeologists surmise that
it was built atop a vaulted building.

10. Began by Agrippa in 27 BC as a temple, it was rebuilt in its
"""present""" circular form by Hadrian in 110-25. Literally,
it was intended as a temple for all gods, and it """has served"""
continuously for 20 centuries as a place of worship.

After completing this round, please decide the rot13: Sbe gur frpbaq
naq frpbaq-ynfg dhrfgvbaf, gur anzr bs gur fgehpgher be pbzcyrk
vapyhqrf n cynpr anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir gur pbzcyrgr anzr,
tb onpx naq svk vg.

** Game 6, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of March

* A. March Madness

A1. What team """has won""" the most NCAA Men's Division I
Championships?

A2. What team won the 2011 championship? (*Note*: I will accept
either the 2011 or the 2021 winner.)

* B. March Break

B1. From the end of World War II until the mid-1980s, what city
was the primary March break destination in the USA?

B2. One of the biggest March break destinations in the American
Southwest """is""" this Arizona city, home to London Bridge.
Name it.

* C. Death Marches

C1. In 1838, members of this Indian tribe had to march from
the Southeast towards Oklahoma. This death march became
known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 men,
women, and children died during relocation. What tribe?

C2. What country conducted the infamous Bataan Death March?

* D. March 5

D1. In 1946, Winston Churchill's "Sinews of Peace" address at
Westminster College popularized the use of what 2-word term?

D2. On March 5, 1872, George Westinghouse patented what
important invention, first used by trains?

* E. Ides of March

E1. In Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar", how is the character
who warns Caesar to "beware the Ides of March" known?

E2. Who directed and starred in the 2011 American political
drama film "The Ides of March"?

* F. Planet Mars

F1. What is the name of the Martian volcano that is the
"""highest known""" mountain in the solar system?

F2. Within 25 (Earth) days, how long is a Martian year?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you can't see the picture, I'll send you
msb@vex.net | a thousand words." --Michael Wares

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challenge

<c16956f5-3bf1-469e-82d7-76ae86c3efd3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3672&group=rec.games.trivia#3672

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:07:52 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 07:07 UTC

On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 11:34:25 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - History - Famous Structures
>
> We give some pertinent information about famous structures --
> or complexes -- in history, and you name them.
>
> 1. One of the wonders of ancient Egyptian architecture, it
> """adjoins""" the pyramids of Giza and """has""" a length of
> 240 feet (75 m). It was built during the 4th dynasty.

Sphinx
> 2. This bronze statue of Helios, about 105 feet (32 m) high, was
> the work of sculptor Chares, who reportedly labored for
> 12 years before completing it in 280 BC. It was destroyed by
> an earthquake in 224 BC.

Colossus of Rhodes
> 4. Built in 1632-50 by Shah Jahan as a tomb for his wife, """it's"""
> considered by some to be the most perfect example of the Mogul
> style and by some to be the most beautiful building in the world.

Taj Mahal

> 5. Completed in 537, this building has served as a cathedral and
> a mosque, and """is now""" a public museum. Famous in particular
> for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine
> architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for
> nearly 1,000 years until the Seville cathedral was completed
> in 1520.

Hagia Sophia
(a particularly notable circumstance for using the """is now""" notation)

> 6. It """extends""" from 5th to 6th Av. (aka Av. of the Americas)
> between 48th and 52nd Sts., and halfway to 7th Av. between 47th
> and 51st Sts. It """occupies""" more than 22 acres (9 ha) and
> """has""" 19 buildings in total.

Rockefeller Center
> 7. This """is""" one of the most beautiful examples of Cambodian
> or Khmer architecture. This sanctuary was built in the 12th
> century.

Angkor Wat

> 8. Built 1248-1354 and located in Granada, Spain, it """is"""
> universally esteemed as one of the great masterpieces of Moslem
> architecture. It was designed as a palace and fortress for
> the Moorish monarchs of Granada.

Alhambra

> 9. This structure was supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar about
> 600 BC to please his queen, Amuhia. Archeologists surmise that
> it was built atop a vaulted building.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

> 10. Began by Agrippa in 27 BC as a temple, it was rebuilt in its
> """present""" circular form by Hadrian in 110-25. Literally,
> it was intended as a temple for all gods, and it """has served"""
> continuously for 20 centuries as a place of worship.

Pantheon

> After completing this round, please decide the rot13: Sbe gur frpbaq
> naq frpbaq-ynfg dhrfgvbaf, gur anzr bs gur fgehpgher be pbzcyrk
> vapyhqrf n cynpr anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir gur pbzcyrgr anzr,
> tb onpx naq svk vg.
>
> ** Game 6, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of March
>
> * A. March Madness
>
> A1. What team """has won""" the most NCAA Men's Division I
> Championships?

UCLA
> * B. March Break
>
> B1. From the end of World War II until the mid-1980s, what city
> was the primary March break destination in the USA?

Daytona Beach; Fort Lauderdale
> B2. One of the biggest March break destinations in the American
> Southwest """is""" this Arizona city, home to London Bridge.
> Name it.

Lake Havasu City

> * C. Death Marches
>
> C1. In 1838, members of this Indian tribe had to march from
> the Southeast towards Oklahoma. This death march became
> known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 men,
> women, and children died during relocation. What tribe?

Cherokee

> C2. What country conducted the infamous Bataan Death March?

Japan

> * D. March 5
>
> D1. In 1946, Winston Churchill's "Sinews of Peace" address at
> Westminster College popularized the use of what 2-word term?

Iron Curtain

> * E. Ides of March
>
> E1. In Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar", how is the character
> who warns Caesar to "beware the Ides of March" known?

Casca

> E2. Who directed and starred in the 2011 American political
> drama film "The Ides of March"?

George Clooney

> * F. Planet Mars
>
> F1. What is the name of the Martian volcano that is the
> """highest known""" mountain in the solar system?

Mons Olympus

> F2. Within 25 (Earth) days, how long is a Martian year?

450 days

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challenge

<9a5d1d74-a719-4789-8ec5-001ab34e1f86n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3673&group=rec.games.trivia#3673

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:37:48 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 20:37 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 12:34:25 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - History - Famous Structures
>
> We give some pertinent information about famous structures --
> or complexes -- in history, and you name them.
>
> 1. One of the wonders of ancient Egyptian architecture, it
> """adjoins""" the pyramids of Giza and """has""" a length of
> 240 feet (75 m). It was built during the 4th dynasty.

the great sphinx

> 2. This bronze statue of Helios, about 105 feet (32 m) high, was
> the work of sculptor Chares, who reportedly labored for
> 12 years before completing it in 280 BC. It was destroyed by
> an earthquake in 224 BC.

the colossus of rhodes

> 3. One of the greatest examples of Byzantine architecture, it was
> begun in the 9th century in Venice. Partially destroyed by
> fire in 976, it was later rebuilt as a Byzantine edifice.

st. mark's basilica

> 4. Built in 1632-50 by Shah Jahan as a tomb for his wife, """it's"""
> considered by some to be the most perfect example of the Mogul
> style and by some to be the most beautiful building in the world.

taj mahal

> 5. Completed in 537, this building has served as a cathedral and
> a mosque, and """is now""" a public museum. Famous in particular
> for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine
> architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for
> nearly 1,000 years until the Seville cathedral was completed
> in 1520.

hagia sophia

> 6. It """extends""" from 5th to 6th Av. (aka Av. of the Americas)
> between 48th and 52nd Sts., and halfway to 7th Av. between 47th
> and 51st Sts. It """occupies""" more than 22 acres (9 ha) and
> """has""" 19 buildings in total.

rockefeller center

> 7. This """is""" one of the most beautiful examples of Cambodian
> or Khmer architecture. This sanctuary was built in the 12th
> century.

angkor wat

> 8. Built 1248-1354 and located in Granada, Spain, it """is"""
> universally esteemed as one of the great masterpieces of Moslem
> architecture. It was designed as a palace and fortress for
> the Moorish monarchs of Granada.

al hambra

> 9. This structure was supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar about
> 600 BC to please his queen, Amuhia. Archeologists surmise that
> it was built atop a vaulted building.

the hanging gardens of babylon

> 10. Began by Agrippa in 27 BC as a temple, it was rebuilt in its
> """present""" circular form by Hadrian in 110-25. Literally,
> it was intended as a temple for all gods, and it """has served"""
> continuously for 20 centuries as a place of worship.

the pantheon

> After completing this round, please decide the rot13: Sbe gur frpbaq
> naq frpbaq-ynfg dhrfgvbaf, gur anzr bs gur fgehpgher be pbzcyrk
> vapyhqrf n cynpr anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir gur pbzcyrgr anzr,
> tb onpx naq svk vg.

I don't think so this time, I'll live a little dangerously

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of March
>
> * A. March Madness
>
> A1. What team """has won""" the most NCAA Men's Division I
> Championships?

ucla

> A2. What team won the 2011 championship? (*Note*: I will accept
> either the 2011 or the 2021 winner.)

connecticut ; baylor

> * B. March Break
>
> B1. From the end of World War II until the mid-1980s, what city
> was the primary March break destination in the USA?

fort lauderdale

> B2. One of the biggest March break destinations in the American
> Southwest """is""" this Arizona city, home to London Bridge.
> Name it.

lake havasu city

> * C. Death Marches
>
> C1. In 1838, members of this Indian tribe had to march from
> the Southeast towards Oklahoma. This death march became
> known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 men,
> women, and children died during relocation. What tribe?

cherokee

> C2. What country conducted the infamous Bataan Death March?

japan

> * D. March 5
>
> D1. In 1946, Winston Churchill's "Sinews of Peace" address at
> Westminster College popularized the use of what 2-word term?

iron curtain

> D2. On March 5, 1872, George Westinghouse patented what
> important invention, first used by trains?

air brakes for trains

> * E. Ides of March
>
> E1. In Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar", how is the character
> who warns Caesar to "beware the Ides of March" known?

the soothsayer

> E2. Who directed and starred in the 2011 American political
> drama film "The Ides of March"?

george clooney

> * F. Planet Mars
>
> F1. What is the name of the Martian volcano that is the
> """highest known""" mountain in the solar system?

olympus mons

> F2. Within 25 (Earth) days, how long is a Martian year?

687 days

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you can't see the picture, I'll send you
> m...@vex.net | a thousand words." --Michael Wares
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, whose father passed away this morning

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challenge

<suf603$b7t$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3674&group=rec.games.trivia#3674

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 03:17:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 03:17 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - History - Famous Structures

> 1. One of the wonders of ancient Egyptian architecture, it
> """adjoins""" the pyramids of Giza and """has""" a length of
> 240 feet (75 m). It was built during the 4th dynasty.

Sphinx

> 2. This bronze statue of Helios, about 105 feet (32 m) high, was
> the work of sculptor Chares, who reportedly labored for
> 12 years before completing it in 280 BC. It was destroyed by
> an earthquake in 224 BC.

Colossus of Rhodes

> 3. One of the greatest examples of Byzantine architecture, it was
> begun in the 9th century in Venice. Partially destroyed by
> fire in 976, it was later rebuilt as a Byzantine edifice.

Doge's Palace

> 4. Built in 1632-50 by Shah Jahan as a tomb for his wife, """it's"""
> considered by some to be the most perfect example of the Mogul
> style and by some to be the most beautiful building in the world.

Taj Mahal

> 5. Completed in 537, this building has served as a cathedral and
> a mosque, and """is now""" a public museum. Famous in particular
> for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine
> architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for
> nearly 1,000 years until the Seville cathedral was completed
> in 1520.

Hagia Sophia

> 6. It """extends""" from 5th to 6th Av. (aka Av. of the Americas)
> between 48th and 52nd Sts., and halfway to 7th Av. between 47th
> and 51st Sts. It """occupies""" more than 22 acres (9 ha) and
> """has""" 19 buildings in total.

Rockefeller Center

> 7. This """is""" one of the most beautiful examples of Cambodian
> or Khmer architecture. This sanctuary was built in the 12th
> century.

Angkor Wat

> 8. Built 1248-1354 and located in Granada, Spain, it """is"""
> universally esteemed as one of the great masterpieces of Moslem
> architecture. It was designed as a palace and fortress for
> the Moorish monarchs of Granada.

Alhambra

> 9. This structure was supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar about
> 600 BC to please his queen, Amuhia. Archeologists surmise that
> it was built atop a vaulted building.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

> 10. Began by Agrippa in 27 BC as a temple, it was rebuilt in its
> """present""" circular form by Hadrian in 110-25. Literally,
> it was intended as a temple for all gods, and it """has served"""
> continuously for 20 centuries as a place of worship.

Pantheon

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of March

> * A. March Madness

> A1. What team """has won""" the most NCAA Men's Division I
> Championships?

University of Kentucky; Duke

> A2. What team won the 2011 championship? (*Note*: I will accept
> either the 2011 or the 2021 winner.)

University of Kentucky; Duke

> * B. March Break

> B1. From the end of World War II until the mid-1980s, what city
> was the primary March break destination in the USA?

Miami; New Orleans

> B2. One of the biggest March break destinations in the American
> Southwest """is""" this Arizona city, home to London Bridge.
> Name it.

Lake Havasu City

> * C. Death Marches

> C1. In 1838, members of this Indian tribe had to march from
> the Southeast towards Oklahoma. This death march became
> known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 men,
> women, and children died during relocation. What tribe?

Cherokee

> C2. What country conducted the infamous Bataan Death March?

Japan

> * D. March 5

> D1. In 1946, Winston Churchill's "Sinews of Peace" address at
> Westminster College popularized the use of what 2-word term?

Iron Curtain

> D2. On March 5, 1872, George Westinghouse patented what
> important invention, first used by trains?

air brakes

> * E. Ides of March

> E2. Who directed and starred in the 2011 American political
> drama film "The Ides of March"?

George Clooney

> * F. Planet Mars

> F1. What is the name of the Martian volcano that is the
> """highest known""" mountain in the solar system?

Olympus Mons

> F2. Within 25 (Earth) days, how long is a Martian year?

725 days

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challenge

<sufjm3$ptq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3675&group=rec.games.trivia#3675

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 23:10:56 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 07:10 UTC

On 2/13/22 21:34, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - History - Famous Structures
>
> We give some pertinent information about famous structures --
> or complexes -- in history, and you name them.
>
> 1. One of the wonders of ancient Egyptian architecture, it
> """adjoins""" the pyramids of Giza and """has""" a length of
> 240 feet (75 m). It was built during the 4th dynasty.

Great Sphinx

> 2. This bronze statue of Helios, about 105 feet (32 m) high, was
> the work of sculptor Chares, who reportedly labored for
> 12 years before completing it in 280 BC. It was destroyed by
> an earthquake in 224 BC.
>
> 3. One of the greatest examples of Byzantine architecture, it was
> begun in the 9th century in Venice. Partially destroyed by
> fire in 976, it was later rebuilt as a Byzantine edifice.

Doge's Palace

> 4. Built in 1632-50 by Shah Jahan as a tomb for his wife, """it's"""
> considered by some to be the most perfect example of the Mogul
> style and by some to be the most beautiful building in the world.

Taj Mahal

> 5. Completed in 537, this building has served as a cathedral and
> a mosque, and """is now""" a public museum. Famous in particular
> for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine
> architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for
> nearly 1,000 years until the Seville cathedral was completed
> in 1520.

Hagia Sophia

> 6. It """extends""" from 5th to 6th Av. (aka Av. of the Americas)
> between 48th and 52nd Sts., and halfway to 7th Av. between 47th
> and 51st Sts. It """occupies""" more than 22 acres (9 ha) and
> """has""" 19 buildings in total.

World Trade Center

> 7. This """is""" one of the most beautiful examples of Cambodian
> or Khmer architecture. This sanctuary was built in the 12th
> century.

Angkor Wat

> 8. Built 1248-1354 and located in Granada, Spain, it """is"""
> universally esteemed as one of the great masterpieces of Moslem
> architecture. It was designed as a palace and fortress for
> the Moorish monarchs of Granada.

Alhambra

> 9. This structure was supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar about
> 600 BC to please his queen, Amuhia. Archeologists surmise that
> it was built atop a vaulted building.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

> 10. Began by Agrippa in 27 BC as a temple, it was rebuilt in its
> """present""" circular form by Hadrian in 110-25. Literally,
> it was intended as a temple for all gods, and it """has served"""
> continuously for 20 centuries as a place of worship.

Pantheon

> After completing this round, please decide the rot13: Sbe gur frpbaq
> naq frpbaq-ynfg dhrfgvbaf, gur anzr bs gur fgehpgher be pbzcyrk
> vapyhqrf n cynpr anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir gur pbzcyrgr anzr,
> tb onpx naq svk vg.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of March
>
> * A. March Madness
>
> A1. What team """has won""" the most NCAA Men's Division I
> Championships?

UCLA

> A2. What team won the 2011 championship? (*Note*: I will accept
> either the 2011 or the 2021 winner.)
>

> * B. March Break
>
> B1. From the end of World War II until the mid-1980s, what city
> was the primary March break destination in the USA?

Fort Lauderdale

> B2. One of the biggest March break destinations in the American
> Southwest """is""" this Arizona city, home to London Bridge.
> Name it.

Lake Havasu City

> * C. Death Marches
>
> C1. In 1838, members of this Indian tribe had to march from
> the Southeast towards Oklahoma. This death march became
> known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 men,
> women, and children died during relocation. What tribe?

Cherokee

> C2. What country conducted the infamous Bataan Death March?

Japan

> * D. March 5
>
> D1. In 1946, Winston Churchill's "Sinews of Peace" address at
> Westminster College popularized the use of what 2-word term?

Iron Curtain

> D2. On March 5, 1872, George Westinghouse patented what
> important invention, first used by trains?

Westinghouse brakes

> * E. Ides of March
>
> E1. In Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar", how is the character
> who warns Caesar to "beware the Ides of March" known?
>
> E2. Who directed and starred in the 2011 American political
> drama film "The Ides of March"?
>

> * F. Planet Mars
>
> F1. What is the name of the Martian volcano that is the
> """highest known""" mountain in the solar system?

Olympus Mons

> F2. Within 25 (Earth) days, how long is a Martian year?

672 days

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: structures, March challenge

<XnsAE3FCFE32A47DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3677&group=rec.games.trivia#3677

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 20:26:10 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 19:26 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 6, Round 9 - History - Famous Structures
>
> We give some pertinent information about famous structures --
> or complexes -- in history, and you name them.
>
> 1. One of the wonders of ancient Egyptian architecture, it
> """adjoins""" the pyramids of Giza and """has""" a length of
> 240 feet (75 m). It was built during the 4th dynasty.

Sphinx
> 2. This bronze statue of Helios, about 105 feet (32 m) high, was
> the work of sculptor Chares, who reportedly labored for
> 12 years before completing it in 280 BC. It was destroyed by
> an earthquake in 224 BC.

Collosus of Rhodos
> 4. Built in 1632-50 by Shah Jahan as a tomb for his wife, """it's"""
> considered by some to be the most perfect example of the Mogul
> style and by some to be the most beautiful building in the world.

Taj Mahal

> 5. Completed in 537, this building has served as a cathedral and
> a mosque, and """is now""" a public museum. Famous in particular
> for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine
> architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for
> nearly 1,000 years until the Seville cathedral was completed
> in 1520.

Haga Sophia
> 6. It """extends""" from 5th to 6th Av. (aka Av. of the Americas)
> between 48th and 52nd Sts., and halfway to 7th Av. between 47th
> and 51st Sts. It """occupies""" more than 22 acres (9 ha) and
> """has""" 19 buildings in total.

Pentagon
> 7. This """is""" one of the most beautiful examples of Cambodian
> or Khmer architecture. This sanctuary was built in the 12th
> century.

Angkor Wat
> 8. Built 1248-1354 and located in Granada, Spain, it """is"""
> universally esteemed as one of the great masterpieces of Moslem
> architecture. It was designed as a palace and fortress for
> the Moorish monarchs of Granada.

Alhambra
> 9. This structure was supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar about
> 600 BC to please his queen, Amuhia. Archeologists surmise that
> it was built atop a vaulted building.

The hanging gardens of Babylon
> 10. Began by Agrippa in 27 BC as a temple, it was rebuilt in its
> """present""" circular form by Hadrian in 110-25. Literally,
> it was intended as a temple for all gods, and it """has served"""
> continuously for 20 centuries as a place of worship.

Colloseum of Rome

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of March
>
> * B. March Break
>
> B1. From the end of World War II until the mid-1980s, what city
> was the primary March break destination in the USA?

Miami
> B2. One of the biggest March break destinations in the American
> Southwest """is""" this Arizona city, home to London Bridge.
> Name it.

Phoenix
> * C. Death Marches
>
> C1. In 1838, members of this Indian tribe had to march from
> the Southeast towards Oklahoma. This death march became
> known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 men,
> women, and children died during relocation. What tribe?

Cherokee
> F2. Within 25 (Earth) days, how long is a Martian year?

450

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: structures, March challenge

<jridnSXYEZ56SpD_nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3678&group=rec.games.trivia#3678

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: structures, March challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 23:06:47 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 05:06 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and STEPHEN PERRY WINS WITH A PERFECT SCORE!
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - History - Famous Structures

> We give some pertinent information about famous structures --
> or complexes -- in history, and you name them.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. One of the wonders of ancient Egyptian architecture, it
> """adjoins""" the pyramids of Giza and """has""" a length of
> 240 feet (75 m). It was built during the 4th dynasty.

Great Sphinx. (Still true.) 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Stephen,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 2. This bronze statue of Helios, about 105 feet (32 m) high, was
> the work of sculptor Chares, who reportedly labored for
> 12 years before completing it in 280 BC. It was destroyed by
> an earthquake in 224 BC.

Colossus of Rhodes (full name required for full points). 4 for
Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 3. One of the greatest examples of Byzantine architecture, it was
> begun in the 9th century in Venice. Partially destroyed by
> fire in 976, it was later rebuilt as a Byzantine edifice.

St. Mark's Cathedral (or Basilica). 4 for Stephen.

The Doge's Palace only goes back to the 14th century.

> 4. Built in 1632-50 by Shah Jahan as a tomb for his wife, """it's"""
> considered by some to be the most perfect example of the Mogul
> style and by some to be the most beautiful building in the world.

Taj Mahal. (Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> 5. Completed in 537, this building has served as a cathedral and
> a mosque, and """is now""" a public museum. Famous in particular
> for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine
> architecture. It was the largest cathedral in the world for
> nearly 1,000 years until the Seville cathedral was completed
> in 1520.

Hagia Sophia. (Now a mosque again, since 2020.) 4 for everyone.

> 6. It """extends""" from 5th to 6th Av. (aka Av. of the Americas)
> between 48th and 52nd Sts., and halfway to 7th Av. between 47th
> and 51st Sts. It """occupies""" more than 22 acres (9 ha) and
> """has""" 19 buildings in total.

Rockefeller Center. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Blum.

> 7. This """is""" one of the most beautiful examples of Cambodian
> or Khmer architecture. This sanctuary was built in the 12th
> century.

Angkor Wat. (Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> 8. Built 1248-1354 and located in Granada, Spain, it """is"""
> universally esteemed as one of the great masterpieces of Moslem
> architecture. It was designed as a palace and fortress for
> the Moorish monarchs of Granada.

Alhambra. (Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> 9. This structure was supposedly built by Nebuchadnezzar about
> 600 BC to please his queen, Amuhia. Archeologists surmise that
> it was built atop a vaulted building.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I required the full name for full points.
4 for everyone.

> 10. Began by Agrippa in 27 BC as a temple, it was rebuilt in its
> """present""" circular form by Hadrian in 110-25. Literally,
> it was intended as a temple for all gods, and it """has served"""
> continuously for 20 centuries as a place of worship.

Pantheon. (The one in Rome.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of March

This was the second-hardest round in the original game, after the
audio round.

> * A. March Madness

> A1. What team """has won""" the most NCAA Men's Division I
> Championships?

UCLA. (Still true, now 11 times.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> A2. What team won the 2011 championship? (*Note*: I will accept
> either the 2011 or the 2021 winner.)

2011 answer: Connecticut. 2021 answer: Baylor. 4 for Stephen
(the hard way).

> * B. March Break

> B1. From the end of World War II until the mid-1980s, what city
> was the primary March break destination in the USA?

Fort Lauderdale, FL. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> B2. One of the biggest March break destinations in the American
> Southwest """is""" this Arizona city, home to London Bridge.
> Name it.

Lake Havasu City. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Death Marches

> C1. In 1838, members of this Indian tribe had to march from
> the Southeast towards Oklahoma. This death march became
> known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 men,
> women, and children died during relocation. What tribe?

Cherokee. 4 for everyone.

> C2. What country conducted the infamous Bataan Death March?

Japan. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * D. March 5

> D1. In 1946, Winston Churchill's "Sinews of Peace" address at
> Westminster College popularized the use of what 2-word term?

Iron Curtain. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

He said: "From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an
iron curtain has descended across the Continent. Behind that line lie
all the capitals of the ancient states of Central and Eastern Europe.
Warsaw, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade, Bucharest and
Sofia, all these famous cities and the populations around them lie
in what I must call the Soviet sphere, and all are subject in one
form or another, not only to Soviet influence but to a very high and,
in many cases, increasing measure of control from Moscow."

> D2. On March 5, 1872, George Westinghouse patented what
> important invention, first used by trains?

The automatic air brake. "Air brake" was sufficient, although it
was the "automatic" part that was the important feature, but I could
not take "brake". 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

"Automatic" here means it fails safe: if the air line is broken
(such as because the train accidentally becomes uncoupled), the
brakes are applied at once on all cars. There had been earlier
train brakes that could be applied on multiple cars without a human
having to operate a control on each one -- including, in fact, an
earlier air brake patented by Westinghouse in 1869 -- but they all
relied in transmitting a signal somehow along the train to actuate
the brakes, and so none of them would fail safe. So the automatic
air brake was an improvement of great significance.

> * E. Ides of March

> E1. In Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar", how is the character
> who warns Caesar to "beware the Ides of March" known?

The Soothsayer. 4 for Stephen.

> E2. Who directed and starred in the 2011 American political
> drama film "The Ides of March"?

George Clooney. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> * F. Planet Mars

> F1. What is the name of the Martian volcano that is the
> """highest known""" mountain in the solar system?

Olympus Mons. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> F2. Within 25 (Earth) days, how long is a Martian year?

687 days (accepting 662-712 days). 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Sci Geo Ent Can Sci His Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 40 40 40 20 40 40 48 248
Joshua Kreitzer 32 21 40 36 28 22 36 30 202
Dan Blum 26 28 40 20 12 32 36 28 190
Dan Tilque 24 16 36 0 4 39 28 32 175
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 12 4 0 27 28 4 83
Pete Gayde -- -- -- -- 4 25 -- -- 29

--
Mark Brader "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."
Toronto "Wait till I get going!"