The future is a race between education and catastrophe. -- H. G. Wells

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear powerMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear powerErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear powerDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear powerJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear powerDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear powerswp
`- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports and nuclear powerMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power

<tcOdnSk_6ImPR4z_nZ2dnUU7-TnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3685&group=rec.games.trivia#3685

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:05:06 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 06:05 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-12,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 4 - Sports

Rather than pick a particular incident, sport, or occasion, we
present general questions on sports worldwide.

1. In what sport """is""" the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
a governing body? Be fully specific.

2. In which sport would you go to see a professional tournament
known as a honbasho? Again, be specific.

3. What country """has won""" the most soccer World Cups?

4. What """is""" the name of the South American equivalent to the
UEFA Champions' League? That is, the continent-wide soccer
competition to determine the top club team. The short form of
the name will do.

5. In which Olympic sport would you find a tsukahara?

6. In golf one under par on a hole is called a birdie, and two
under par is called an eagle. What is the rare feat of three
under par called?

7. In what sport does a match consist of 8 periods of play called
chukkas or chukkers?

8. The Euro 2012 Football (i.e. soccer) Championship takes place
"""this summer""" and """is""" being co-hosted by two
countries. Name either. *Note* You may also answer for the
next championship, in 2024.

9. Only one Soviet-bloc country competed in the 1984 Olympics in
Los Angeles. Which country was it?

10. The decathlon is a combined track-and-field event whose
contestants are men. What is the name of the similar event
contested by women?

* Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Power

1. Name the scientist who created the first artificial self-
sustaining nuclear chain reaction, at what was called Chicago
Pile 1, in a rackets court below the bleachers of Stagg Field
at the University of Chicago on 1942-12-02.

2. What is the popular term used to refer to what would properly be
called "low-energy nuclear reactions": nuclear reactions
supposedly occurring near room temperature and pressure using
relatively simple and low-energy-input devices?

3. What term is defined as smallest amount of fissile material
needed for a self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction?

4. What is the common name of the compound, used in certain types
of nuclear reactors, that contains the hydrogen isotope deuterium
in place of regular hydrogen?

5. Name the """largest""" nuclear facility in North America, and
"""second largest""" in the world. It """comprises""" 8 nuclear
reactors, having a total output of 6,232 MW when all units
are online.

6. Atomic Energy Canada developed this type of nuclear reactor
that utilizes pressurized <answer 4> along with natural uranium.
"""Currently""" there are 29 reactors of this type in use around
the world. What name is given to this series of reactors?

7. What country, """second""" in the world in nuclear generating
capacity, produces about 75% of its electricity via nuclear
power? It """is""" the only country where that number is
over 50%.

8. This country """operates""" 13 reactors of a type developed from
the <answer 6> design, but Canada stopped nuclear dealings with
the country after they exploded an atomic weapon. Name the
country.

9. Calder Hall was the world's first nuclear power station to
deliver electricity in commercial quantities. It was connected
to the grid in 1956 and shut down in 2003. In which country
was it located?

10. This is the term given to the dismantling of a nuclear
power plant, involving decontamination of the site to a state
no longer requiring radiation protection for the general public.
(It is also used in other fields.) Name it.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Tools, not solutions. :-)"
msb@vex.net -- Henry Spencer

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power

<XnsAE447BDD3DF4FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3686&group=rec.games.trivia#3686

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:10:34 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:10 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 4 - Sports
>
> Rather than pick a particular incident, sport, or occasion, we
> present general questions on sports worldwide.
>
> 3. What country """has won""" the most soccer World Cups?

Brazil
> 5. In which Olympic sport would you find a tsukahara?

Judo
> 6. In golf one under par on a hole is called a birdie, and two
> under par is called an eagle. What is the rare feat of three
> under par called?

Albatross
> 7. In what sport does a match consist of 8 periods of play called
> chukkas or chukkers?

Rugby
> 8. The Euro 2012 Football (i.e. soccer) Championship takes place
> """this summer""" and """is""" being co-hosted by two
> countries. Name either. *Note* You may also answer for the
> next championship, in 2024.

Poland and Ukraine (in 2012)

> 9. Only one Soviet-bloc country competed in the 1984 Olympics in
> Los Angeles. Which country was it?

Romania
> 10. The decathlon is a combined track-and-field event whose
> contestants are men. What is the name of the similar event
> contested by women?

Heptathlon
> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Power
>
> 1. Name the scientist who created the first artificial self-
> sustaining nuclear chain reaction, at what was called Chicago
> Pile 1, in a rackets court below the bleachers of Stagg Field
> at the University of Chicago on 1942-12-02.

Meitner
> 2. What is the popular term used to refer to what would properly be
> called "low-energy nuclear reactions": nuclear reactions
> supposedly occurring near room temperature and pressure using
> relatively simple and low-energy-input devices?

Cold fusion
> 3. What term is defined as smallest amount of fissile material
> needed for a self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction?

Critical mass
> 4. What is the common name of the compound, used in certain types
> of nuclear reactors, that contains the hydrogen isotope deuterium
> in place of regular hydrogen?

Heavy water

> 7. What country, """second""" in the world in nuclear generating
> capacity, produces about 75% of its electricity via nuclear
> power? It """is""" the only country where that number is
> over 50%.

France
> 8. This country """operates""" 13 reactors of a type developed from
> the <answer 6> design, but Canada stopped nuclear dealings with
> the country after they exploded an atomic weapon. Name the
> country.

India; Pakistan
> 9. Calder Hall was the world's first nuclear power station to
> deliver electricity in commercial quantities. It was connected
> to the grid in 1956 and shut down in 2003. In which country
> was it located?

UK

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power

<sutmsc$7gd$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3687&group=rec.games.trivia#3687

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:31:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:31 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Sports

> 1. In what sport """is""" the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
> a governing body? Be fully specific.

drag racing

> 2. In which sport would you go to see a professional tournament
> known as a honbasho? Again, be specific.

sumo wrestling

> 3. What country """has won""" the most soccer World Cups?

Germany; Italy

> 5. In which Olympic sport would you find a tsukahara?

karate; judo

> 6. In golf one under par on a hole is called a birdie, and two
> under par is called an eagle. What is the rare feat of three
> under par called?

albatross

> 7. In what sport does a match consist of 8 periods of play called
> chukkas or chukkers?

polo

> 8. The Euro 2012 Football (i.e. soccer) Championship takes place
> """this summer""" and """is""" being co-hosted by two
> countries. Name either. *Note* You may also answer for the
> next championship, in 2024.

Germany; France

> 9. Only one Soviet-bloc country competed in the 1984 Olympics in
> Los Angeles. Which country was it?

Yugoslavia

> 10. The decathlon is a combined track-and-field event whose
> contestants are men. What is the name of the similar event
> contested by women?

heptathlon

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Power

> 1. Name the scientist who created the first artificial self-
> sustaining nuclear chain reaction, at what was called Chicago
> Pile 1, in a rackets court below the bleachers of Stagg Field
> at the University of Chicago on 1942-12-02.

Enrico Fermi

> 2. What is the popular term used to refer to what would properly be
> called "low-energy nuclear reactions": nuclear reactions
> supposedly occurring near room temperature and pressure using
> relatively simple and low-energy-input devices?

cold fusion

> 3. What term is defined as smallest amount of fissile material
> needed for a self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction?

critical mass

> 4. What is the common name of the compound, used in certain types
> of nuclear reactors, that contains the hydrogen isotope deuterium
> in place of regular hydrogen?

heavy water

> 7. What country, """second""" in the world in nuclear generating
> capacity, produces about 75% of its electricity via nuclear
> power? It """is""" the only country where that number is
> over 50%.

France

> 8. This country """operates""" 13 reactors of a type developed from
> the <answer 6> design, but Canada stopped nuclear dealings with
> the country after they exploded an atomic weapon. Name the
> country.

Israel; India

> 9. Calder Hall was the world's first nuclear power station to
> deliver electricity in commercial quantities. It was connected
> to the grid in 1956 and shut down in 2003. In which country
> was it located?

United Kingdom

> 10. This is the term given to the dismantling of a nuclear
> power plant, involving decontamination of the site to a state
> no longer requiring radiation protection for the general public.
> (It is also used in other fields.) Name it.

decomissioning

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power

<e10d4134-8dfb-486a-ae28-a8b923c495d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3688&group=rec.games.trivia#3688

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 17:08 UTC

On Sunday, February 20, 2022 at 12:05:12 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Sports
>
> 1. In what sport """is""" the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
> a governing body? Be fully specific.

drag racing
> 2. In which sport would you go to see a professional tournament
> known as a honbasho? Again, be specific.

sumo wrestling

> 3. What country """has won""" the most soccer World Cups?

Brazil

> 5. In which Olympic sport would you find a tsukahara?

gymnastics
> 6. In golf one under par on a hole is called a birdie, and two
> under par is called an eagle. What is the rare feat of three
> under par called?

albatross

> 7. In what sport does a match consist of 8 periods of play called
> chukkas or chukkers?

polo

> 8. The Euro 2012 Football (i.e. soccer) Championship takes place
> """this summer""" and """is""" being co-hosted by two
> countries. Name either. *Note* You may also answer for the
> next championship, in 2024.

Poland

> 9. Only one Soviet-bloc country competed in the 1984 Olympics in
> Los Angeles. Which country was it?

Romania

> 10. The decathlon is a combined track-and-field event whose
> contestants are men. What is the name of the similar event
> contested by women?

heptathlon

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Power
>
> 1. Name the scientist who created the first artificial self-
> sustaining nuclear chain reaction, at what was called Chicago
> Pile 1, in a rackets court below the bleachers of Stagg Field
> at the University of Chicago on 1942-12-02.

Fermi

> 2. What is the popular term used to refer to what would properly be
> called "low-energy nuclear reactions": nuclear reactions
> supposedly occurring near room temperature and pressure using
> relatively simple and low-energy-input devices?

cold fusion
> 3. What term is defined as smallest amount of fissile material
> needed for a self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction?

critical mass

> 4. What is the common name of the compound, used in certain types
> of nuclear reactors, that contains the hydrogen isotope deuterium
> in place of regular hydrogen?

heavy water

> 7. What country, """second""" in the world in nuclear generating
> capacity, produces about 75% of its electricity via nuclear
> power? It """is""" the only country where that number is
> over 50%.

France
> 8. This country """operates""" 13 reactors of a type developed from
> the <answer 6> design, but Canada stopped nuclear dealings with
> the country after they exploded an atomic weapon. Name the
> country.

Pakistan

> 9. Calder Hall was the world's first nuclear power station to
> deliver electricity in commercial quantities. It was connected
> to the grid in 1956 and shut down in 2003. In which country
> was it located?

UK; Australia

> 10. This is the term given to the dismantling of a nuclear
> power plant, involving decontamination of the site to a state
> no longer requiring radiation protection for the general public.
> (It is also used in other fields.) Name it.

decommissioning

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power

<suu04h$ibn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3690&group=rec.games.trivia#3690

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:09:18 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:09 UTC

On 2/19/22 22:05, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Sports
>
> Rather than pick a particular incident, sport, or occasion, we
> present general questions on sports worldwide.
>
> 1. In what sport """is""" the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
> a governing body? Be fully specific.

drag racing

> 2. In which sport would you go to see a professional tournament
> known as a honbasho? Again, be specific.
>
> 3. What country """has won""" the most soccer World Cups?

France; Argentina

> 4. What """is""" the name of the South American equivalent to the
> UEFA Champions' League? That is, the continent-wide soccer
> competition to determine the top club team. The short form of
> the name will do.
>
> 5. In which Olympic sport would you find a tsukahara?
>
> 6. In golf one under par on a hole is called a birdie, and two
> under par is called an eagle. What is the rare feat of three
> under par called?

albatross

> 7. In what sport does a match consist of 8 periods of play called
> chukkas or chukkers?

polo

> 8. The Euro 2012 Football (i.e. soccer) Championship takes place
> """this summer""" and """is""" being co-hosted by two
> countries. Name either. *Note* You may also answer for the
> next championship, in 2024.
>
> 9. Only one Soviet-bloc country competed in the 1984 Olympics in
> Los Angeles. Which country was it?
>
> 10. The decathlon is a combined track-and-field event whose
> contestants are men. What is the name of the similar event
> contested by women?

heptathlon

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Power
>
> 1. Name the scientist who created the first artificial self-
> sustaining nuclear chain reaction, at what was called Chicago
> Pile 1, in a rackets court below the bleachers of Stagg Field
> at the University of Chicago on 1942-12-02.

Fermi

> 2. What is the popular term used to refer to what would properly be
> called "low-energy nuclear reactions": nuclear reactions
> supposedly occurring near room temperature and pressure using
> relatively simple and low-energy-input devices?
>
> 3. What term is defined as smallest amount of fissile material
> needed for a self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction?

critical mass

> 4. What is the common name of the compound, used in certain types
> of nuclear reactors, that contains the hydrogen isotope deuterium
> in place of regular hydrogen?

heavy water

> 5. Name the """largest""" nuclear facility in North America, and
> """second largest""" in the world. It """comprises""" 8 nuclear
> reactors, having a total output of 6,232 MW when all units
> are online.
>
> 6. Atomic Energy Canada developed this type of nuclear reactor
> that utilizes pressurized <answer 4> along with natural uranium.
> """Currently""" there are 29 reactors of this type in use around
> the world. What name is given to this series of reactors?

CanDU

> 7. What country, """second""" in the world in nuclear generating
> capacity, produces about 75% of its electricity via nuclear
> power? It """is""" the only country where that number is
> over 50%.

France

> 8. This country """operates""" 13 reactors of a type developed from
> the <answer 6> design, but Canada stopped nuclear dealings with
> the country after they exploded an atomic weapon. Name the
> country.

India; Pakistan

> 9. Calder Hall was the world's first nuclear power station to
> deliver electricity in commercial quantities. It was connected
> to the grid in 1956 and shut down in 2003. In which country
> was it located?

United States

> 10. This is the term given to the dismantling of a nuclear
> power plant, involving decontamination of the site to a state
> no longer requiring radiation protection for the general public.
> (It is also used in other fields.) Name it.

decommissioning

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: sports and nuclear power

<3a7389b8-5c84-4e92-bd32-a33480fc5303n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3692&group=rec.games.trivia#3692

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:30:58 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 21:30 UTC

On Sunday, February 20, 2022 at 1:05:12 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-12,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Sports
>
> Rather than pick a particular incident, sport, or occasion, we
> present general questions on sports worldwide.
>
> 1. In what sport """is""" the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
> a governing body? Be fully specific.

drag racing

> 2. In which sport would you go to see a professional tournament
> known as a honbasho? Again, be specific.

sumo wrestling

> 3. What country """has won""" the most soccer World Cups?

brazil

> 4. What """is""" the name of the South American equivalent to the
> UEFA Champions' League? That is, the continent-wide soccer
> competition to determine the top club team. The short form of
> the name will do.

liberators cup

> 5. In which Olympic sport would you find a tsukahara?

gymnastics

> 6. In golf one under par on a hole is called a birdie, and two
> under par is called an eagle. What is the rare feat of three
> under par called?

double eagle ; albatross

> 7. In what sport does a match consist of 8 periods of play called
> chukkas or chukkers?

polo

> 8. The Euro 2012 Football (i.e. soccer) Championship takes place
> """this summer""" and """is""" being co-hosted by two
> countries. Name either. *Note* You may also answer for the
> next championship, in 2024.

ukraine ; poland

> 9. Only one Soviet-bloc country competed in the 1984 Olympics in
> Los Angeles. Which country was it?

romania

> 10. The decathlon is a combined track-and-field event whose
> contestants are men. What is the name of the similar event
> contested by women?

heptathlon

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Power
>
> 1. Name the scientist who created the first artificial self-
> sustaining nuclear chain reaction, at what was called Chicago
> Pile 1, in a rackets court below the bleachers of Stagg Field
> at the University of Chicago on 1942-12-02.

fermi

> 2. What is the popular term used to refer to what would properly be
> called "low-energy nuclear reactions": nuclear reactions
> supposedly occurring near room temperature and pressure using
> relatively simple and low-energy-input devices?

cold fusion

> 3. What term is defined as smallest amount of fissile material
> needed for a self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction?

critical mass

> 4. What is the common name of the compound, used in certain types
> of nuclear reactors, that contains the hydrogen isotope deuterium
> in place of regular hydrogen?

heavy water

> 5. Name the """largest""" nuclear facility in North America, and
> """second largest""" in the world. It """comprises""" 8 nuclear
> reactors, having a total output of 6,232 MW when all units
> are online.

palo verde generating station

> 6. Atomic Energy Canada developed this type of nuclear reactor
> that utilizes pressurized <answer 4> along with natural uranium.
> """Currently""" there are 29 reactors of this type in use around
> the world. What name is given to this series of reactors?

candu

> 7. What country, """second""" in the world in nuclear generating
> capacity, produces about 75% of its electricity via nuclear
> power? It """is""" the only country where that number is
> over 50%.

used to be france

> 8. This country """operates""" 13 reactors of a type developed from
> the <answer 6> design, but Canada stopped nuclear dealings with
> the country after they exploded an atomic weapon. Name the
> country.

india

> 9. Calder Hall was the world's first nuclear power station to
> deliver electricity in commercial quantities. It was connected
> to the grid in 1956 and shut down in 2003. In which country
> was it located?

england

> 10. This is the term given to the dismantling of a nuclear
> power plant, involving decontamination of the site to a state
> no longer requiring radiation protection for the general public.
> (It is also used in other fields.) Name it.

decommissioning

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "Tools, not solutions. :-)"
> m...@vex.net -- Henry Spencer
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who believes in systems not goals

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports and nuclear power

<TuKdnUvsWqwpXoj_nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3693&group=rec.games.trivia#3693

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports and nuclear power
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 23:18:44 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 05:18 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-12,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Sports

> Rather than pick a particular incident, sport, or occasion, we
> present general questions on sports worldwide.

> 1. In what sport """is""" the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
> a governing body? Be fully specific.

Drag racing. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> 2. In which sport would you go to see a professional tournament
> known as a honbasho? Again, be specific.

Sumo wrestling. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. What country """has won""" the most soccer World Cups?

Brazil. (Still true, still 5 times.) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> 4. What """is""" the name of the South American equivalent to the
> UEFA Champions' League? That is, the continent-wide soccer
> competition to determine the top club team. The short form of
> the name will do.

Copa Libertadores (Liberators Cup). 4 for Stephen.

> 5. In which Olympic sport would you find a tsukahara?

Gymnastics. (It's a vault jump.) 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. In golf one under par on a hole is called a birdie, and two
> under par is called an eagle. What is the rare feat of three
> under par called?

Albatross or double eagle. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen (the hard way).

> 7. In what sport does a match consist of 8 periods of play called
> chukkas or chukkers?

Polo. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 8. The Euro 2012 Football (i.e. soccer) Championship takes place
> """this summer""" and """is""" being co-hosted by two
> countries. Name either. *Note* You may also answer for the
> next championship, in 2024.

2012 answer: Poland, Ukraine. 2024 answer: Germany. 4 for Erland
(the hard way), Joshua, and Stephen (the hard way). 3 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Only one Soviet-bloc country competed in the 1984 Olympics in
> Los Angeles. Which country was it?

Romania. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 10. The decathlon is a combined track-and-field event whose
> contestants are men. What is the name of the similar event
> contested by women?

Heptathlon. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Nuclear Power

> 1. Name the scientist who created the first artificial self-
> sustaining nuclear chain reaction, at what was called Chicago
> Pile 1, in a rackets court below the bleachers of Stagg Field
> at the University of Chicago on 1942-12-02.

Enrico Fermi. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

When Arthur Compton telephoned James Conant to report success,
he said: "The Italian navigator has landed in the New World."

> 2. What is the popular term used to refer to what would properly be
> called "low-energy nuclear reactions": nuclear reactions
> supposedly occurring near room temperature and pressure using
> relatively simple and low-energy-input devices?

Cold fusion. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. What term is defined as smallest amount of fissile material
> needed for a self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction?

Critical mass. 4 for everyone.

> 4. What is the common name of the compound, used in certain types
> of nuclear reactors, that contains the hydrogen isotope deuterium
> in place of regular hydrogen?

Heavy water. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Name the """largest""" nuclear facility in North America, and
> """second largest""" in the world. It """comprises""" 8 nuclear
> reactors, having a total output of 6,232 MW when all units
> are online.

Bruce Nuclear Generating Station. (In southern Ontario, Canada.
Still true, except the output is now 6,550 MW.)

> 6. Atomic Energy Canada developed this type of nuclear reactor
> that utilizes pressurized <answer 4> along with natural uranium.
> """Currently""" there are 29 reactors of this type in use around
> the world. What name is given to this series of reactors?

CANDU. ("Canadian Deuterium-Uranium". The current number is 31.)
4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 7. What country, """second""" in the world in nuclear generating
> capacity, produces about 75% of its electricity via nuclear
> power? It """is""" the only country where that number is
> over 50%.

France. (Still mostly true, but the number for France is now 71%
and there are now some countries just over 50%.) 4 for everyone.

> 8. This country """operates""" 13 reactors of a type developed from
> the <answer 6> design, but Canada stopped nuclear dealings with
> the country after they exploded an atomic weapon. Name the
> country.

India. (Still true.) 4 for Stephen. 3 for Erland and Dan Tilque.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Calder Hall was the world's first nuclear power station to
> deliver electricity in commercial quantities. It was connected
> to the grid in 1956 and shut down in 2003. In which country
> was it located?

The UK (or specifically England). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 10. This is the term given to the dismantling of a nuclear
> power plant, involving decontamination of the site to a state
> no longer requiring radiation protection for the general public.
> (It is also used in other fields.) Name it.

Decommissioning. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Can Spo Sci
Stephen Perry 39 4 40 36 119
Joshua Kreitzer 40 0 36 27 103
Dan Blum 16 8 23 30 77
Erland Sommarskog 4 4 20 23 51
Dan Tilque 0 4 16 27 47
Pete Gayde 13 8 -- -- 21

--
Mark Brader "Hey, I don't want to control people's lives!
Toronto (If they did things right, I wouldn't have to.)"