You can observe a lot just by watching. -- Yogi Berra

interests / soc.culture.china / US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

SubjectAuthor
* US home-made drones are inferior and cost more thanltlee1
+- Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more tRusty Wyse
`* Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more thanwaecicu
 `* Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’veltlee1
  `* Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more tbmoore
   `* Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more tltlee1
    `* Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more tbmoore
     `- Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more tltlee1

1
US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<aee993c6-c18d-465e-bdf0-bd677e159395n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3700&group=soc.culture.china#3700

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 11:10:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: US_home-made_drones_are_inferior_and_cost_more_than_
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 18:10 UTC

"The difficulties of America’s efforts to wean itself off Chinese technology have been revealed, after the Pentagon spent over $13m developing far less capable aerial devices. It’s a stark illustration of wider economic woes.

Last year the Trump administration took the step of grounding the entire federal government fleet of drones, many of which were made by Chinese company DJI. Amounting to an inventory of more than 800, the White House was concerned they were being used for espionage and demanded that they be made in America instead.

Biden has embraced this policy wholeheartedly, Congress is currently busy pushing legislation which will restrict them even further. But as a recent Financial Times report has revealed, this is not having the intended results.. Being forced to produce drones made in the US, the government now finds itself paying eight to 14 times more for a product which doesn’t even have 95% of the sensors seen on its Chinese counterpart. Who could have ever seen that coming?"

Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<f284fd1a-832d-41dc-99d8-ea0106c35983n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3711&group=soc.culture.china#3711

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 19:49:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_US_home-made_drones_are_inferior_and_cost_more_t
From: yale....@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 02:49 UTC

On Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 11:10:53 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> "The difficulties of America’s efforts to wean itself off Chinese technology have been revealed, after the Pentagon spent over $13m developing far less capable aerial devices. It’s a stark illustration of wider economic woes.
>
> Last year the Trump administration took the step of grounding the entire federal government fleet of drones, many of which were made by Chinese company DJI. Amounting to an inventory of more than 800, the White House was concerned they were being used for espionage and demanded that they be made in America instead.
>
> Biden has embraced this policy wholeheartedly, Congress is currently busy pushing legislation which will restrict them even further. But as a recent Financial Times report has revealed, this is not having the intended results. Being forced to produce drones made in the US, the government now finds itself paying eight to 14 times more for a product which doesn’t even have 95% of the sensors seen on its Chinese counterpart. Who could have ever seen that coming?"

The Chinese stole our design in the first place.
You mean we can't even copy our own design????

Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<sdh6v1$otv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3743&group=soc.culture.china#3743

From: toi...@tr.com (waecicu)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:09:37 +0800
 by: waecicu - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:09 UTC

On 23/7/2021 2:10 am, ltlee1 wrote:
> "The difficulties of America’s efforts to wean itself off Chinese technology have been revealed, after the Pentagon spent over $13m developing far less capable aerial devices. It’s a stark illustration of wider economic woes.
>
> Last year the Trump administration took the step of grounding the entire federal government fleet of drones, many of which were made by Chinese company DJI. Amounting to an inventory of more than 800, the White House was concerned they were being used for espionage and demanded that they be made in America instead.
>
> Biden has embraced this policy wholeheartedly, Congress is currently busy pushing legislation which will restrict them even further. But as a recent Financial Times report has revealed, this is not having the intended results. Being forced to produce drones made in the US, the government now finds itself paying eight to 14 times more for a product which doesn’t even have 95% of the sensors seen on its Chinese counterpart. Who could have ever seen that coming?"

It is cheaper for US to buy from China. But China should raise their
prices to American price making China's price sold to US is even higher
than US prices so that US will still buy from China and not complained
being cheap price and thence cheap product quality.

Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<9b6af88b-c47b-4753-8a27-9efd3afb9222n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3744&group=soc.culture.china#3744

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 07:41:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_US_home-made_drones_are_inferior_and_cost_more_than_the_Chinese_ones_they’ve_replaced..._-_The_San_Francisco_Telegraph
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:41 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 10:09:39 AM UTC-4, waecicu wrote:
> On 23/7/2021 2:10 am, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "The difficulties of America’s efforts to wean itself off Chinese technology have been revealed, after the Pentagon spent over $13m developing far less capable aerial devices. It’s a stark illustration of wider economic woes.
> >
> > Last year the Trump administration took the step of grounding the entire federal government fleet of drones, many of which were made by Chinese company DJI. Amounting to an inventory of more than 800, the White House was concerned they were being used for espionage and demanded that they be made in America instead.
> >
> > Biden has embraced this policy wholeheartedly, Congress is currently busy pushing legislation which will restrict them even further. But as a recent Financial Times report has revealed, this is not having the intended results. Being forced to produce drones made in the US, the government now finds itself paying eight to 14 times more for a product which doesn’t even have 95% of the sensors seen on its Chinese counterpart. Who could have ever seen that coming?"
> >
> It is cheaper for US to buy from China. But China should raise their
> prices to American price making China's price sold to US is even higher
> than US prices so that US will still buy from China and not complained
> being cheap price and thence cheap product quality.

The Pentagon used to buy from TJI. They stopped for "national security". But changed its mind
and started buying Made in China drone again, presumably two of the most expensive and most
capable models.

US government and the media can say whatever they want, Pentagon buying TJI drones are the
best compliment on quality and value.

Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<1cdb832c-5e94-461e-98d0-7d297b84651cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3748&group=soc.culture.china#3748

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 08:30:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:30 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 7:41:32 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 10:09:39 AM UTC-4, waecicu wrote:
> > On 23/7/2021 2:10 am, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "The difficulties of America’s efforts to wean itself off Chinese technology have been revealed, after the Pentagon spent over $13m developing far less capable aerial devices. It’s a stark illustration of wider economic woes.
> > >
> > > Last year the Trump administration took the step of grounding the entire federal government fleet of drones, many of which were made by Chinese company DJI. Amounting to an inventory of more than 800, the White House was concerned they were being used for espionage and demanded that they be made in America instead.
> > >
> > > Biden has embraced this policy wholeheartedly, Congress is currently busy pushing legislation which will restrict them even further. But as a recent Financial Times report has revealed, this is not having the intended results. Being forced to produce drones made in the US, the government now finds itself paying eight to 14 times more for a product which doesn’t even have 95% of the sensors seen on its Chinese counterpart. Who could have ever seen that coming?"
> > >
> > It is cheaper for US to buy from China. But China should raise their
> > prices to American price making China's price sold to US is even higher
> > than US prices so that US will still buy from China and not complained
> > being cheap price and thence cheap product quality.
> The Pentagon used to buy from TJI. They stopped for "national security". But changed its mind
> and started buying Made in China drone again, presumably two of the most expensive and most
> capable models.
>
> US government and the media can say whatever they want, Pentagon buying TJI drones are the
> best compliment on quality and value.

Nope.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/pentagon-says-reports-da-jiang-innovations-systems-approved-by-us-government-are-2021-07-23/

Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<203e0e94-3b85-4010-b1c4-27c0301c70ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3749&group=soc.culture.china#3749

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 08:56:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:56 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 11:30:41 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 7:41:32 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > It is cheaper for US to buy from China. But China should raise their
> > > prices to American price making China's price sold to US is even higher
> > > than US prices so that US will still buy from China and not complained
> > > being cheap price and thence cheap product quality.
> > The Pentagon used to buy from TJI. They stopped for "national security".. But changed its mind
> > and started buying Made in China drone again, presumably two of the most expensive and most
> > capable models.
> >
> > US government and the media can say whatever they want, Pentagon buying TJI drones are the
> > best compliment on quality and value.
> Nope.
>
> https://www.reuters.com/world/us/pentagon-says-reports-da-jiang-innovations-systems-approved-by-us-government-are-2021-07-23/

"The Defense Department said U.S. Special Operations Command has purchased off-the-shelf drone technology consistent with exemptions permitted under the law.
"Mitigating the threats posed by small UAS (unmanned aircraft systems), including DJI systems, remains a priority across the Department, and DOD (Defense of Defense) continues to ensure existing policy remains current and appropriately implemented," the Pentagon said."

1. Pentagon is not disputing Hill.com's claim that "no malicious code or intent". Of course, not finding "malicious code or intent" does not necessarily mean no potential harm.
2. There are exemption that allow US military to buy the product.

Conclusion:
Special Operation command might have bought DJI drones. But the ban against DJI products are still in force.

Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<9c65e970-618c-47ff-9533-53797379589cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3751&group=soc.culture.china#3751

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 09:17:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:17 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:56:02 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 11:30:41 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:

> > > The Pentagon used to buy from TJI. They stopped for "national security". But changed its mind
> > > and started buying Made in China drone again, presumably two of the most expensive and most
> > > capable models.
> > >
> > > US government and the media can say whatever they want, Pentagon buying TJI drones are the
> > > best compliment on quality and value.
> > Nope.
> >
> > https://www.reuters.com/world/us/pentagon-says-reports-da-jiang-innovations-systems-approved-by-us-government-are-2021-07-23/
> "The Defense Department said U.S. Special Operations Command has purchased off-the-shelf drone technology consistent with exemptions permitted under the law.
> "Mitigating the threats posed by small UAS (unmanned aircraft systems), including DJI systems, remains a priority across the Department, and DOD (Defense of Defense) continues to ensure existing policy remains current and appropriately implemented," the Pentagon said."
>
> 1. Pentagon is not disputing Hill.com's claim that "no malicious code or intent". Of course, not finding "malicious code or intent" does not necessarily mean no potential harm.
> 2. There are exemption that allow US military to buy the product.
>
> Conclusion:
> Special Operation command might have bought DJI drones. But the ban against DJI products are still in force.

"The Pentagon said on Friday that drones produced by Chinese manufacturer Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) pose a potential threat to national security and that a media report that they were approved for purchase by the U.S. government was inaccurate."

So
"US government and the media can say whatever they want, Pentagon buying TJI drones are the best compliment on quality and value."

Nope.

Re: US home-made drones are inferior and cost more than the Chinese ones they’ve replaced... - The San Francisco Telegraph

<43e35a8d-b921-477a-b274-f0c0126da5c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3756&group=soc.culture.china#3756

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 12:45:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:45 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 12:17:32 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:56:02 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > Nope.
> > >
> > > https://www.reuters.com/world/us/pentagon-says-reports-da-jiang-innovations-systems-approved-by-us-government-are-2021-07-23/
> > "The Defense Department said U.S. Special Operations Command has purchased off-the-shelf drone technology consistent with exemptions permitted under the law.
> > "Mitigating the threats posed by small UAS (unmanned aircraft systems), including DJI systems, remains a priority across the Department, and DOD (Defense of Defense) continues to ensure existing policy remains current and appropriately implemented," the Pentagon said."
> >
> > 1. Pentagon is not disputing Hill.com's claim that "no malicious code or intent". Of course, not finding "malicious code or intent" does not necessarily mean no potential harm.
> > 2. There are exemption that allow US military to buy the product.
> >
> > Conclusion:
> > Special Operation command might have bought DJI drones. But the ban against DJI products are still in force.
> "The Pentagon said on Friday that drones produced by Chinese manufacturer Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) pose a potential threat to national security and that a media report that they were approved for purchase by the U.S. government was inaccurate."
>
> So
> "US government and the media can say whatever they want, Pentagon buying TJI drones are the best compliment on quality and value."

Again, the Pentagon statement 1) does not dispute Hill.com's claim that "no malicious code or intent" was found. And 2) It did approve the purchase of presumably DJI drone under exemption.

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2706082/department-statement-on-dji-systems/
"The Department of Defense (DOD) position is that systems produced by Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) pose potential threats to national security. Existing DOD policy and practices associated with the use of these systems by U.S. government entities and forces working with U.S. military services remain unchanged contrary to any written reports not approved for release by the DOD.

A recent report indicated that certain models of DJI systems had been found to be approved for procurement and operations for US government departments and agencies. This report was inaccurate and uncoordinated, and its unauthorized release is currently under review by the department.

“... the Secretary of Defense is exempt from the restriction [of using covered systems] if the operation or procurement is for the purposes ....

U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has purchased commercial off-the-shelf drone technology in recent years as consistent with Section 848 of the FY20 NDAA and Executive Order 13981."