Sin boldly. -- Martin Luther

interests / alt.politics / Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

SubjectAuthor
* Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouBradley K. Sherman
+* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouBradley K. Sherman
|`* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouBradley K. Sherman
| `* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouBradley K. Sherman
|  +* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouBorax Man
|  |+- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouPaul
|  |+* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouGovernor Swill
|  ||`* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouBorax Man
|  || `- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouMax Boot
|  |`- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouMax Boot
|  +* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouNoBody
|  |`* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouGovernor Swill
|  | +* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouLittle@man.Ball
|  | |+- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouNoBody
|  | |`* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouGovernor Swill
|  | | +- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouGovernor Swill
|  | | `- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouGovernor Swill
|  | +- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouNoBody
|  | `- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouMax Boot
|  `- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouMax Boot
`* Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouMax Boot
 `- Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At YouLawrence D'Oliveiro

1
Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<uoe1ge$el0$1@panix3.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=34533&group=alt.politics#34533

From: bks...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Subject: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You
Date: 19 Jan 2024 14:38:06 -0000
 by: Bradley K. Sherman - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:38 UTC

| A new report claims "resounding evidence" shows that high
| corporate profits are a main driver of ongoing inflation,
| and companies continue to keep prices high even as their
| inflationary costs drop.
<https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/19/us-inflation-caused-by-corporate-profits>

--bks

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<uprgbo$kvp$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=34947&group=alt.politics#34947

From: bks...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Subject: Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:27:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bradley K. Sherman - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:27 UTC

> | A new report claims "resounding evidence" shows that high
> | corporate profits are a main driver of ongoing inflation,
> | and companies continue to keep prices high even as their
> | inflationary costs drop.

| Boeing--worth $128 billion--paid a net $0 in federal income
| tax the first 5 years of the Trump tax scam.
|
| They even got a net $2.6 billion refund.
|
| Meanwhile, they spent BILLIONS on CEO pay and stock
| buybacks.
|
| Yes, this is the same Boeing who had a plane panel blow off
| mid-flight.

<https://twitter.com/4TaxFairness/status/1754508370906595801>

--bks

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<usl236$mn0$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37091&group=alt.politics#37091

From: bks...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:36:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bradley K. Sherman - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:36 UTC

>> | A new report claims "resounding evidence" shows that high
>> | corporate profits are a main driver of ongoing inflation,
>> | and companies continue to keep prices high even as their
>> | inflationary costs drop.

> | Boeing--worth $128 billion--paid a net $0 in federal income
> | tax the first 5 years of the Trump tax scam.

| How Trump's Justice Dept. Derailed an Investigation of a
| Major Company
|
| The industrial giant Caterpillar hired William Barr and
| other lawyers to defuse a federal criminal investigation of
| alleged tax dodges.
|
| In December 2018, a team of federal law enforcement agents
| flew to Amsterdam to interview a witness in a yearslong
| criminal investigation into Caterpillar, which had avoided
| billions of dollars of income taxes by shifting profits to
| a Swiss subsidiary.
|
| A few hours before the interview was set to begin, the
| agents were startled to hear that the Justice Department
| was telling them to cancel the long-planned meeting.
|
| The interview was never rescheduled, and the investigation
| would limp along for another few years before culminating,
| in late 2022, with a victory for Caterpillar. The Internal
| Revenue Service told the giant industrial company to pay
| less than a quarter of the back taxes the government once
| claimed that Caterpillar owed and did not impose any
| penalties. The criminal investigation was closed without
| charges being filed -- and even without agents having the
| chance to review records seized from the company.
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/09/business/caterpillar-tax-trump-barr.html>

--bks

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<v0h4hd$nd2$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38768&group=alt.politics#38768

From: bks...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bradley K. Sherman - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58 UTC

Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
<https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>

--bks

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<20240427120010.0ebc59c0@Nostromo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38779&group=alt.politics#38779

From: rotfl...@hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:00:10 +1000
 by: Borax Man - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 02:00 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC)
bks@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:

> Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
> <https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>
> --bks

I always find it amusing when they try to blame parents doing grocery
shopping and choosing to buy biscuits and meat as driving inflation.
I've literally seen people say we should buy less and spend less to
ease inflation, as if we ourselves are the cause.

Of course, if we buy less spend less, then we get blamed for some
other economic issue.

Anything to deflect from the real source of the problem.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<v0hqb8$5aih$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38781&group=alt.politics#38781

Followup: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh.tv-show,soc.support.transgendered,alt.atheism.satire
From: privatem...@protonmail.com (Paul)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 03:10:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 03:10 UTC

>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC)
>bks@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
>
>> Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
>> <https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>>
>> --bks
>
>I always find it amusing when they try to blame parents doing grocery
>shopping and choosing to buy biscuits and meat as driving inflation.
>I've literally seen people say we should buy less and spend less to
>ease inflation, as if we ourselves are the cause.
>
>Of course, if we buy less spend less, then we get blamed for some
>other economic issue.
>
>Anything to deflect from the real source of the problem.

Maybe more Trump tax cuts for the wealthy can save us.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<0v3p2jtpjc5odhbgbqn6vf26khpn8qcv4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38785&group=alt.politics#38785

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 01:43:50 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 05:43 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:00:10 +1000, Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC)
>bks@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
>
>> Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
>> <https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>>
>> --bks
>
>I always find it amusing when they try to blame parents doing grocery
>shopping and choosing to buy biscuits and meat as driving inflation.
>I've literally seen people say we should buy less and spend less to
>ease inflation, as if we ourselves are the cause.
>
>Of course, if we buy less spend less, then we get blamed for some
>other economic issue.
>
>Anything to deflect from the real source of the problem.

The biggest reason for inflation was the government dumping trillions into the economy in
2020 trying to prevent it from completely collapsing. Another factor is that having gone
much of a year without going out to eat or be entertained, folks found lots of extra cash
in their accounts at the end of the month. As the economy re-opened and expanded, that
extra cash got spent lavishly on things that, often, had been out of stock due to supply
chain interruptions.

Blaming it on "administration policies" is a crutch for those who don't want to think.

Swill
--
Conservative thinking only predicts the past. - R Kym Horsell

https://www.gocomics.com/mattdavies/2024/04/01

https://www.forwardparty.com/ . .

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<slrnv2pl2a.56e.rotflol2@zerosignal.strangled.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38789&group=alt.politics#38789

Followup: talk.politics.misc
From: rotfl...@hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:32:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Borax Man - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:32 UTC

["Followup-To:" header set to talk.politics.misc.]
On 2024-04-27, Governor Swill <governor.swill@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:00:10 +1000, Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC)
>>bks@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
>>
>>> Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
>>> <https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>>>
>>> --bks
>>
>>I always find it amusing when they try to blame parents doing grocery
>>shopping and choosing to buy biscuits and meat as driving inflation.
>>I've literally seen people say we should buy less and spend less to
>>ease inflation, as if we ourselves are the cause.
>>
>>Of course, if we buy less spend less, then we get blamed for some
>>other economic issue.
>>
>>Anything to deflect from the real source of the problem.
>
> The biggest reason for inflation was the government dumping trillions into the economy in
> 2020 trying to prevent it from completely collapsing. Another factor is that having gone
> much of a year without going out to eat or be entertained, folks found lots of extra cash
> in their accounts at the end of the month. As the economy re-opened and expanded, that
> extra cash got spent lavishly on things that, often, had been out of stock due to supply
> chain interruptions.
>
> Blaming it on "administration policies" is a crutch for those who don't want to think.

Indeed, nevertheless the rhetoric blames us. Interest rates go up to
curb our spending, because, well, we're spending too much, despite the
increase in the cost of living.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<vn1q2j9cd28vkdeil9n3hclqa2n4149h6e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38799&group=alt.politics#38799

From: NoB...@nowhere.com (NoBody)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:09:48 -0400
 by: NoBody - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:09 UTC

Sherman) wrote:

>Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
><https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>
> --bks

Sorry I don't click on random youtube links.
Please try again with a credible cite.

Oh and if it did (which it didn't) Biden ALLOWED it.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<pdiq2jt82g8sr92a8skc86k2g1ak0l384g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38806&group=alt.politics#38806

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:56:28 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:56 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:09:48 -0400, NoBody <NoBody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC), bks@panix.com (Bradley K.
>Sherman) wrote:
>
>>Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
>><https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>>
>> --bks
>
>Sorry I don't click on random youtube links.

That's your excuse for dodging facts. It's not a 'random' link, it's a link to a video.
In this case, a short one in the form of an editorial opinion by a noted economist citing
verifiable data.

>Please try again with a credible cite.

The irony is deep in here.

>Oh and if it did (which it didn't) Biden ALLOWED it.

Again, the President doesn't set prices for retail goods - unless he's President of Russia
or China. This is America where companies are free to set their own prices.

Swill
--
Conservative thinking only predicts the past. - R Kym Horsell

https://www.gocomics.com/mattdavies/2024/04/01

https://www.forwardparty.com/ . .

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<20240427141329.2d879df7@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38808&group=alt.politics#38808

From: suc...@ra.mentos (Little@man.Ball)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:13:29 -0600
 by: Little@man.Ball - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:13 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:56:28 -0400
Governor Swill <governor.swill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, the President doesn't set prices for retail goods - unless
> he's President of Russia or China. This is America where companies
> are free to set their own prices.

Nope.

https://www.uschamber.com/health-care/how-american-patients-will-bear-the-cost-of-government-price-controls
How American Patients Will Bear the Cost of Government Price Controls
Up to 44% fewer medicines will be launched in the United States because
of government price controls, according to the 2024 Patient Access
Report.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price-controls.asp
Rent control is used to keep housing stock affordable in New York City, but the demand for these cheap apartments far outstrips the supply. Since market-rate rents are among the highest in the country, rent-controlled apartments in the city are often passed down within families as a coveted good.

Price controls may specify a price ceiling (a maximum), a price floor
(a minimum), or both. They may apply to staple goods such as sugar and
soap, or to more intangible prices such as interest rates. They may
change in response to shifts in supply and demand, either by design or
on an ad hoc basis.

https://www.cato.org/commentary/problems-price-controls
In the era of U.S. airline regulation when the Civil Aeronautics Board
set prices, airlines tried to attract customers with food, empty seats,
and frequency of flights. This form of competition can be as expensive
as competing on price. Despite high prices and protection from new
entrants, established carriers competed away their rents and did not
earn high profits.

Faced with having to charge Medicaid the lowest price given to any
other customer, pharmaceutical firms reduced discounts. The legislation
resulted in an increase in drug expenditures for many private buyers as
drug manufacturers tried to raise prices on government sales.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<7gls2jhq0o6fb15s08olh1l7afl96iu0as@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38822&group=alt.politics#38822

From: NoB...@nowhere.com (NoBody)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:00:10 -0400
 by: NoBody - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:00 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:56:28 -0400, Governor Swill
<governor.swill@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:09:48 -0400, NoBody <NoBody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC), bks@panix.com (Bradley K.
>>Sherman) wrote:
>>
>>>Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
>>><https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>>>
>>> --bks
>>
>>Sorry I don't click on random youtube links.
>
>That's your excuse for dodging facts. It's not a 'random' link, it's a link to a video.
>In this case, a short one in the form of an editorial opinion by a noted economist citing
>verifiable data.

Put in in text and cite a legitimate source. Is this REALLY too much
to ask.

>>Please try again with a credible cite.
>
>The irony is deep in here.

I guess the admission from you is that there isn't one.

>>Oh and if it did (which it didn't) Biden ALLOWED it.
>
>Again, the President doesn't set prices for retail goods - unless he's President of Russia
>or China. This is America where companies are free to set their own prices.
>
>Swill

This is about inflation not the setting of prices.
You're trolling again...just so you know.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<vjls2j1tukd2pj9htnkmbi1pko3m0u7lj4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38823&group=alt.politics#38823

From: NoB...@nowhere.com (NoBody)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:01:01 -0400
 by: NoBody - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:01 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:13:29 -0600, "Little@man.Ball" <suck@ra.mentos>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:56:28 -0400
>Governor Swill <governor.swill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Again, the President doesn't set prices for retail goods - unless
>> he's President of Russia or China. This is America where companies
>> are free to set their own prices.
>
>Nope.
>
>https://www.uschamber.com/health-care/how-american-patients-will-bear-the-cost-of-government-price-controls
>How American Patients Will Bear the Cost of Government Price Controls
>Up to 44% fewer medicines will be launched in the United States because
>of government price controls, according to the 2024 Patient Access
>Report.
>
>https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price-controls.asp
>Rent control is used to keep housing stock affordable in New York City, but the demand for these cheap apartments far outstrips the supply. Since market-rate rents are among the highest in the country, rent-controlled apartments in the city are often passed down within families as a coveted good.
>
>Price controls may specify a price ceiling (a maximum), a price floor
>(a minimum), or both. They may apply to staple goods such as sugar and
>soap, or to more intangible prices such as interest rates. They may
>change in response to shifts in supply and demand, either by design or
>on an ad hoc basis.
>
>https://www.cato.org/commentary/problems-price-controls
>In the era of U.S. airline regulation when the Civil Aeronautics Board
>set prices, airlines tried to attract customers with food, empty seats,
>and frequency of flights. This form of competition can be as expensive
>as competing on price. Despite high prices and protection from new
>entrants, established carriers competed away their rents and did not
>earn high profits.
>
>Faced with having to charge Medicaid the lowest price given to any
>other customer, pharmaceutical firms reduced discounts. The legislation
>resulted in an increase in drug expenditures for many private buyers as
>drug manufacturers tried to raise prices on government sales.

Should be interesting to see if Swilly has an intelligent rebuttal to
this.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<yRuXN.11297$yT%1.4079@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38828&group=alt.politics#38828

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: max.b...@lathymes.com (Max Boot)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 09:31:25 -0700
 by: Max Boot - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:31 UTC

On 1/19/2024 6:38 AM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:

> | A new report claims "resounding evidence" shows that high
> | corporate profits are a main driver of ongoing inflation,
> | and companies continue to keep prices high even as their
> | inflationary costs drop.
> <https://www.theguardian.com/business/

The Guardian is mostly a great news source, but *never* on economics or business.

Businesses — fuck off with this "corporations" commie bullshit talk, because you
mean *businesses* — cannot arbitrarily jack up prices or keep them high. If
prices are high, it's because *consumers* are paying them.

*Business* (not "corporate") profits are not "driving" inflation. They are the
*result* of inflation. Business *likes* inflation because it keeps profits high.

Here's that *non-economist* Reich: "The latest research shows that corporate
profits drove 53% of inflation during the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2023." *What*
"research"? He doesn't cite any. What he's re-spewing is typical left-wingnut
anti-private enterprise commie bullshit.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<jSuXN.11298$yT%1.728@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38829&group=alt.politics#38829

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: max.b...@lathymes.com (Max Boot)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 09:32:14 -0700
 by: Max Boot - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:32 UTC

On 4/26/2024 1:58 PM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
> <https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>

That's just *non-economist* Reich repeating his bullshit. It's bullshit.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<2ivXN.30689$A1d8.1550@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38830&group=alt.politics#38830

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: max.b...@lathymes.com (Max Boot)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:01:49 -0700
 by: Max Boot - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:01 UTC

On 4/26/2024 7:00 PM, Borax Man wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC)
> bks@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
>
>> Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
>> <https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>>
>> --bks
>
> I always find it amusing when they try to blame parents doing grocery
> shopping and choosing to buy biscuits and meat as driving inflation.
> I've literally seen people say we should buy less and spend less to
> ease inflation, as if we ourselves are the cause.
>
> Of course, if we buy less spend less, then we get blamed for some
> other economic issue.
>
> Anything to deflect from the real source of the problem.

I will tell you the real source of the problem: too much money chasing too few
goods and services. Inflation is *purely* a monetary phenomenon. It's the money
supply, stupid. "Corporate profits" are not driving inflation; it's the other
way around.

Here's some typical commie fuckwittery from some typical commie fuckwits calling
themselves "Groundwork Collaborative" (words like "collaborative" and "project"
and "collective" are *always* tells for commie fuckwittery):

Overview

Inflation has come down significantly from its peak over the past year, yet
prices remain high for American consumers. As supply chain snarls have
receded and the economy has stabilized, businesses continue to pad their
bottom lines, rather than passing these savings on to consumers.

They start by conflating *high* and *rising* prices. "High" prices are not
inflation; inflation is *rising* prices where the increase is not caused by
fundamental economic activity, but rather by excessive increases in the money
supply. If the price of eggs and chicken rises rapidly due to a massive outbreak
of avian flu leading to a slaughter of tens of millions of chickens, that is
*not* inflation — it's a supply constraint leading to a "shortage" at the former
price. This is why there's no such thing as "price gouging" when natural
disasters hit.

But then the "collaborative" compounds their fuckwittery with this bullshit
about "passing savings on to consumers." Consumers are *willingly* paying the
"high" [sic] prices after producers' costs have fallen. Why *should* businesses
lower their prices, when consumers are willingly paying them? Let's say the
retail price of a dozen eggs has risen to $10, and consumers keep buying them.
Let's further say that grocery stores' profit margin on eggs is 200%: they can
sell a dozen eggs for three times what it costs them to acquire the eggs and pay
their staff to handle them (stock the eggs case, check them out, etc.) Consumers
keep buying all the eggs the grocery stores put out there. How are the grocery
stores doing anything wrong? Answer: they're doing *nothing* wrong. No one puts
a gun to the heads of consumers and "force" them to buy eggs at $10 per dozen.
If anything, what the grocers are doing wrong is they're charging *too little*
for the eggs. They should raise the retail price until consumers start cutting
back on purchases of eggs.

Remember: inflation is *rising* prices over time. Profit is the residual left to
a firm at a *point* in time. A transaction takes place, and if the revenue to
the seller exceeds the total cost of supplying the goods or services, the seller
realizes a profit. Firms *cannot* arbitrarily set prices to ensure a profit. If
Piggly Wiggly tries to sell eggs at $20 per dozen when all other grocers are
selling them at $10 per dozen, Piggly Wiggly will sell almost no eggs.

Fact: "corporate" (that is, *business*) profits are *not* driving inflation.
Rather, inflation is *resulting* in high business profits.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<yvvXN.33547$TyYf.5553@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38831&group=alt.politics#38831

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: max.b...@lathymes.com (Max Boot)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:16:13 -0700
 by: Max Boot - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:16 UTC

On 4/27/2024 3:32 AM, Borax Man wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to talk.politics.misc.]

Followup headers set *back* to what they were, because asshole Boraxo Brain
doesn't call the shots.

> On 2024-04-27, Governor Swill <governor.swill@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:00:10 +1000, Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I always find it amusing when they try to blame parents doing grocery
>>> shopping and choosing to buy biscuits and meat as driving inflation.
>>> I've literally seen people say we should buy less and spend less to
>>> ease inflation, as if we ourselves are the cause.
>>>
>>> Of course, if we buy less spend less, then we get blamed for some
>>> other economic issue.
>>>
>>> Anything to deflect from the real source of the problem.
>>
>> The biggest reason for inflation was the government dumping trillions into the economy in
>> 2020 trying to prevent it from completely collapsing. Another factor is that having gone
>> much of a year without going out to eat or be entertained, folks found lots of extra cash
>> in their accounts at the end of the month. As the economy re-opened and expanded, that
>> extra cash got spent lavishly on things that, often, had been out of stock due to supply
>> chain interruptions.
>>
>> Blaming it on "administration policies" is a crutch for those who don't want to think.
>
> Indeed, nevertheless the rhetoric blames us.

Yes, and correctly so, because consumers *willingly* paying retail prices, even
as those prices are rising, is what keeps inflation going. No one puts a gun to
your head to force you to buy anything. You buy it because you consider the
goods and services at the market-clearing prices to be more valuable to you than
the money in your pocket. You might think "Well, I'm not really 'willingly'
paying these prices, because I think they're 'too high'." But you *are* willing
paying them, because you continue doing it. Your fucked-up sense of what prices
"ought" to be is nonsense.

> Interest rates go up to curb our spending,

No, that's false. First of all, interest rates are *not* going up. They're
higher now than what they were in 2020-2021, but they are *not* rising — they're
holding steady. By historical standards, up until the Great Recession of 2008,
interest rates are not exceptionally high.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FEDFUNDS

High(er) interest rates are not intended to curb very much consumer spending,
because most consumer spending is not on durable goods like cars and appliances
and furniture. *Most* consumer spending is on goods and services that are
immediately consumed, such as groceries, fuel. Rising credit card debt is *not*
due to people buying perishables.

Rising interest rates are intended to curb *business* spending, not consumer
spending.

> because, well, we're spending too much,

No one is saying you're spending "too much." The issue is that you're willingly
spending a growing supply of money that comes into your hands.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<qPvXN.5663$iSy3.1735@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38832&group=alt.politics#38832

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: max.b...@lathymes.com (Max Boot)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:37:25 -0700
 by: Max Boot - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:37 UTC

On 4/27/2024 11:56 AM, Governor Swill wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:09:48 -0400, NoBody <NoBody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:58:21 -0000 (UTC), bks@panix.com (Bradley K.
>> Sherman) wrote:
>>
>>> Corporate profits drove 53% of inflation:
>>> <https://youtu.be/mqdTuirsMiY>
>>>
>>> --bks
>>
>> Sorry I don't click on random youtube links.
>
> That's your excuse for dodging facts. It's not a 'random' link, it's a link to a video.
> In this case, a short one in the form of an editorial opinion by a noted economist citing
> verifiable data.

Sorry, but that's wrong. First of all, Reich is *not* an economist. Although
Reich studied some economics, he has no degree in the field and has never worked
professionally as an economist. His BA is in history, and his only graduate
degree is a JD from Yale law school. In no way can Reich be called an economist.

Secondly, in *nothing* Reich has posted has he cited any "verifiable data." In
that absurd video, he starts out saying "The 'latest research' [sic] shows that
corporate profits drove 53% of inflation during the second and third quarters of
2023." *WHAT* research? Where's a source? Answer: there isn't any. He's simply
regurgitating a claim made by a far-left advocacy group called "Groundwork
Collaborative." In their extravagantly ignorant claim, the "collaborative"
*also* cites not research; it's just unsupported claims
(https://groundworkcollaborative.org/news/new-groundwork-report-finds-corporate-profits-driving-more-than-half-of-inflation/)
The people writing this bullshit are *also* not economists. Lindsay Owens, the
executive director, is described in the Wikipedia entry on her as an "economic
sociologist." There is no such thing. She's a sociologist, straight up, and
sociology is pure academic bullshit; completely unscientific and not even making
a good *pretense* of being scientific. As my *real* economics professors at UCLA
put it, sociology is "poetry," i.e. story telling.

There is no legitimate economic research behind Reich's (and "Groundwork
Collaborative's") claim — none whatsoever. As before, "corporate" (commies'
pejorative for *business*) profits do not drive inflation — inflation drives
business profits. Business firms are *able* to keep raising prices *because*
consumers keep spending their money.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<v0mcm8$18fm6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38835&group=alt.politics#38835

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.politics,nz.politics
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:48:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:48 UTC

On Sun, 28 Apr 2024 09:31:25 -0700, Max Boot wrote:

> Businesses — fuck off with this "corporations" commie bullshit talk,
> because you mean *businesses* — cannot arbitrarily jack up prices or
> keep them high. If prices are high, it's because *consumers* are paying
> them.

Then why does your country have “anti-trust” laws?

> Here's that *non-economist* Reich: "The latest research shows that
> corporate profits drove 53% of inflation during the 2nd and 3rd quarters
> of 2023." *What* "research"?

How about this:
<https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/19/us-inflation-caused-by-corporate-profits>
referencing the “Groundwork Collaborative”, more details going further
back here
<https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-profits-have-contributed-disproportionately-to-inflation-how-should-policymakers-respond/>.

All I had to do was type the relevant phrase into a search engine.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<34dt2j5k9pbgjjiio8v1iajjk8apc85vle@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38836&group=alt.politics#38836

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:20:51 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 21:20 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:13:29 -0600, "Little@man.Ball" <suck@ra.mentos> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:56:28 -0400
>Governor Swill <governor.swill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Again, the President doesn't set prices for retail goods - unless
>> he's President of Russia or China. This is America where companies
>> are free to set their own prices.
>
>Nope.
>
>https://www.uschamber.com/health-care/how-american-patients-will-bear-the-cost-of-government-price-controls
>How American Patients Will Bear the Cost of Government Price Controls
>Up to 44% fewer medicines will be launched in the United States because
>of government price controls, according to the 2024 Patient Access
>Report.

Did I say there was no regulation of prices? No, I didn't. I said the President doesn't
sent prices and he doesn't. Big Pharma brought this latest round of regulation on
themselves by their abuse of the insulin market. Btw, this regulatory policy worked well.
Big Pharma fell in line behind Eli Lilly and brought the costs down to more realistic
levels thus saving American consumers, insurance companies and the Federal government
billions in medication costs.

Btw, would this be a good time to note that if we weren't subsidizing sugar and highly
processed foods, there might be less diabetes in America?

>https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price-controls.asp
>Rent control is used to keep housing stock affordable in New York City, but the demand for these cheap apartments far outstrips the supply. Since market-rate rents are among the highest in the country, rent-controlled apartments in the city are often passed down within families as a coveted good.
>
>Price controls may specify a price ceiling (a maximum), a price floor
>(a minimum), or both. They may apply to staple goods such as sugar and
>soap, or to more intangible prices such as interest rates. They may
>change in response to shifts in supply and demand, either by design or
>on an ad hoc basis.

This has even less to do with the President since this is a reference to municipal rather
than federal regulations.

>https://www.cato.org/commentary/problems-price-controls
>In the era of U.S. airline regulation when the Civil Aeronautics Board
>set prices, airlines tried to attract customers with food, empty seats,
>and frequency of flights. This form of competition can be as expensive
>as competing on price. Despite high prices and protection from new
>entrants, established carriers competed away their rents and did not
>earn high profits.

This is *counterproductive* to your argument. Federal regulation of airline pricing ended
with Jimmy Carter's signature in 1978. This was followed by Carter and the Democrats
deregulating the trucking industry in 1980; the same year they also deregulated the
Savings and Loan industry.

But back to the current century. The President does not set the prices of airline tickets
because a Democratic President and his Democratic Congress ended government control of
their pricing over forty years ago.

>Faced with having to charge Medicaid the lowest price given to any
>other customer, pharmaceutical firms reduced discounts. The legislation
>resulted in an increase in drug expenditures for many private buyers as
>drug manufacturers tried to raise prices on government sales.

This brings to mind the utter failure of Republicans to allow the federal government to
negotiate prices for Medicare Part D. They insisted the Washington would pay the Pharmas
full retail for medication covered under Part D rejecting a Democratic rider that would
allow Medicare to negotiate with distributors.

So again, and I'll put this in caps since you missed it the first time I wrote it,

THE PRESIDENT DOES NOT SET PRICES.

Which brings us to the cost of eggs and ketchup. Bird flu is rampant again due to modern
methods of egg and meat production that cram animals into small spaces where diseases are
more rapidly spread causing flocks to be destroyed. I mention ketchup only because, well,
how ridiculous is it of you to imply the President decrees the price of a bottle of
ketchup

Swill
--
Conservative thinking only predicts the past. - R Kym Horsell

https://www.gocomics.com/mattdavies/2024/04/01

https://www.forwardparty.com/ . .

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<hn503jdqaajdin39qp1dojhd0raqd4gd86@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38892&group=alt.politics#38892

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 17:55:26 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 21:55 UTC

On Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:20:51 -0400, Governor Swill <governor.swill@gmail.com> wrote:

And once again, Nobody has fled with her skirt tucked into her panties.

Swill

--
Conservative thinking only predicts the past. - R Kym Horsell

https://www.gocomics.com/mattdavies/2024/04/01

https://www.forwardparty.com/ . .

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.

Re: Corporate Overlords Are Laughing At You

<3l903j9u4bfd7bvneijpkoco4hj3abooq2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38895&group=alt.politics#38895

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:01:55 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 23:01 UTC

> [...]

>>drug manufacturers tried to raise prices on government sales.
>
>This brings to mind the utter failure of Republicans to allow the federal government to
>negotiate prices for Medicare Part D. They insisted the Washington would pay the Pharmas
>full retail for medication covered under Part D rejecting a Democratic rider that would
>allow Medicare to negotiate with distributors.
>
>So again, and I'll put this in caps since you missed it the first time I wrote it,
>
>THE PRESIDENT DOES NOT SET PRICES.
>
>Which brings us to the cost of eggs and ketchup. Bird flu is rampant again due to modern
>methods of egg and meat production that cram animals into small spaces where diseases are
>more rapidly spread causing flocks to be destroyed. I mention ketchup only because, well,
>how ridiculous is it of you to imply the President decrees the price of a bottle of

So, Kremlin girl! Is this not the reply you were so interested to see, or have you run
away again with your skirt tucked into your panties?

Swill