Rebellion lay in his way, and he found it. -- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"

interests / alt.politics / Re: Fundie Baby Voice

SubjectAuthor
* Fundie Baby VoiceBradley K. Sherman
+- Re: Fundie Baby VoiceMax Boot
`* Re: Fundie Baby Voicepothead
 +- Re: Fundie Baby VoiceMitchell Holman
 +* Re: Fundie Baby Voice67hx.1803
 |+* Re: Fundie Baby Voice67hz.1803
 ||`* Re: Fundie Baby Voice67hx.1803
 || `- Re: Fundie Baby Voice67hz.1803
 |`- Re: Fundie Baby Voicepothead
 `- Re: Fundie Baby VoiceGovernor Swill

1
Fundie Baby Voice

<usl40n$mov$1@panix3.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37093&group=alt.politics#37093

From: bks...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Subject: Fundie Baby Voice
Date: 10 Mar 2024 20:08:55 -0000
 by: Bradley K. Sherman - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:08 UTC

| The Fundie Baby Voice
|
| As soon as Senator Katie Britt started speaking, I knew
| exactly who she is. She is so many of the pastor's wives
| and Sunday School teachers I knew growing up in an
| Evangelical church. Be sweet. Obey.
<https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice>

--bks

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<sKoHN.79889$zF_1.56596@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37094&group=alt.politics#37094

Subject: Re: Fundie Baby Voice
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: max.b...@lathymes.com (Max Boot)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:29:13 -0700
 by: Max Boot - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:29 UTC

On 3/10/2024 1:08 PM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:

> | The Fundie Baby Voice
> |
> | As soon as Senator Katie Britt started speaking, I knew
> | exactly who she is. She is so many of the pastor's wives
> | and Sunday School teachers I knew growing up in an
> | Evangelical church. Be sweet. Obey.
> <https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice>

The whole thing needs to be posted:

I was about to head to bed after the State of the Union last night, when I
heard a voice coming from my television that stopped me in my tracks. I
didn’t know who was speaking, but it really didn’t matter—I recognized the
voice. It was so many voices from my childhood. It was so many Sunday
mornings and Wednesday evenings. It was potlucks, and baby showers, and
graduations, and birthday parties.

It was Senator Katie Britt using her well-practiced fundie baby voice.

I threw so many folks for a loop last year when I discussed the voice in a
video. I used my “training” as a former Evangelical, a Southern Baptist, to
describe the breathy cadence and the soft, child-like high pitch. Folks
outside of Fundamentalist culture had never heard the term—they just knew the
voice made them uncomfortable.

I know that voice well…in fact I can’t shake it myself. It was engrained in
every woman I knew from church and every time I speak about it, folks will
point out that I sound that way myself. Yes, friends. That’s the point.

Be sweet. Obey. Prove it by speaking in muted tones.

You all know Michelle Duggar. Remember her voice? Too high pitched? Too much
like a little girl? Too breathy. That’s purposeful. Michelle has to show
submission to her husband in all interactions public. She stared at Jim Bob
anytime he spoke. She was quiet until given a question or prompt. She was
also harboring secrets and that’s something I can’t forget. Terrible secrets
behind that voice.

Christian nationalist Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, is married to a
woman who also uses the voice. I first heard her speak in a Fox News
interview. I had the same reaction I had to Senator Britt. I turned the video
up and listened…and got a cold shiver. Kelly Johnson says nothing too awfully
problematic during the interview, but we all know she holds anti-LGBTQ views
and even once correlated gay folks with bestiality and incest.

Johnson removed a document from her Christian Counseling site that said, “We
believe and the Bible teaches that any form of sexual immorality, such as
adultery, fornication, homosexuality, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest,
pornography or any attempt to change one’s sex, or disagreement with one’s
biological sex, is sinful and offensive to God,”

Some women use their fundie baby voices from habit. From years of lessons,
but some have something to hide which they cover for in fundie baby voice and
a good-natured temperament. From an abusive husband, to a drinking problem,
to hiding a pack of cigarettes in the kitchen, it was often something.

Many of these women also couldn’t keep it up at all times, and I saw lots of
masks slip when these women spoke to their children. I remember staying the
night with a friend and her mom dropping the voice at home. It can be a
little creepy to watch the venom spewed at a child who has spilled his milk
when his mother was dripping honey from her mouth just the instant before. It
feels cold.

Back to Sen Katie Britt and the Republican response to the State of the Union
speech; it was filled with Fundamentalist ideology and the fundie baby voice.
The setting was her kitchen—that is not by accident. It is likely that she
thinks this is where most women should spend their time. She’s wearing a
modest shirt, opened just far enough to see her cross necklace. She started
her speech by indicating that she’s “just a mom” mentioning her children’s
names to assure other fundamentalist Christians that she understands her role
in society.

Her face says as much as her voice in fundie culture—that hyperbolic wince
that she performed each time she said “Biden.” It means, “I’m going to say
something here that isn’t very nice, but y’all know I’m going to keep it
sweet.”

The bless your heart effect.

The breathless speech, the incongruent facial movements and smiles. The
cadence of condescension. I am better than you, and here are the ways. I have
children. They are perfect. I have a marriage. It is perfect. I am pretty and
well-educated. I am a Christian—I am god fearing and I prove it by holding
hands with my family and praying for the rest of you. I am better than you.

Now that you know the term and what to look for, I want to warn you that the
voice doesn’t always equate to a terrible woman or even a submissive one. I
grew up with so many who used the voice because they were trained to use it.
They are kind women who show up for others in sickness and in need. They take
care of their families and their neighbors and their church sisters and
brothers. They are living the life they feel called to lead—I give them grace
and understanding. They are not out to harm others.

But, I pay attention to the voice when I hear it from folks in power. I am
jolted awake when I hear the voice dripping sugar from a mouth that claims to
love all while stripping rights from many.

I know that they believe proximity to power, submitting to men in power, will
save them and their families and keep them in the good grace of the men truly
in power.

I know they are wrong.

The author, Jess Piper, clanks in just one place: "They are not out to harm
others." That is false. They *are* out to harm those who don't look and think
like them.

I went looking for an instance of Kelly Johnson, Ayatollah Mike's wife,
speaking, and Jess Piper got it exactly right — it fully lived down to my
expectations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWXmicOTiU

These people are evil. They are not 100% evil, but in politics and in what they
want to inflict on the country, they are evil.

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<uslbb5$36fmk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37100&group=alt.politics#37100

From: poth...@snakebite.com (pothead)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:13:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pothead - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:13 UTC

On 2024-03-10, Bradley K. Sherman <bks@panix.com> wrote:

> | The Fundie Baby Voice
> |
> | As soon as Senator Katie Britt started speaking, I knew
> | exactly who she is. She is so many of the pastor's wives
> | and Sunday School teachers I knew growing up in an
> | Evangelical church. Be sweet. Obey.
><https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice>

--bkshttps://www.newsweek.com/trump-never-informed-chinese-balloons-pentagon-congressman-1779069

Church and state should be separate.

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024.

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<XnsB131DC76ED224noemailcomcastnet@69.80.102.18>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37116&group=alt.politics#37116

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: noem...@verizon.net (Mitchell Holman)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 02:37:34 +0000
 by: Mitchell Holman - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 02:37 UTC

pothead <pothead@snakebite.com> wrote in

> Church and state should be separate.

But you support Trump.

More hypocrisy.

"The Trump administration managed to divert
even more public money to houses of worship
in the coronavirus relief bill�s PPP funding.
In addition to funding private religious
schools, the Trump administration allowed
houses of worship to take part. For the
first time in U.S. history, federal funds
were used to pay the salaries of ministers
and other employees engaged in religious
activities."
https://tinyurl.com/5fyscp4e

Sitting on billions, Catholic dioceses amassed taxpayer aid
February 4, 2021
https://tinyurl.com/6us7wr8e

Dallas megachurch that hosted Pence approved for millions
in coronavirus aid
07/07/20
https://tinyurl.com/jr4f6j76

Religious Organizations Receive $7.3 Billion in PPP Loans,
Megachurches Amass Millions
7/7/20
https://tinyurl.com/3mub345w

Joel Osteen�s Houston megachurch defends getting
$4.4 million in federal PPP loans
Dec 19 2020
https://tinyurl.com/3ymhwaz2

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<tqydnZ9rOv3373P4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37118&group=alt.politics#37118

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: 67hx.1...@g4t5x.net (67hx.1803)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:54:33 -0400
 by: 67hx.1803 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 02:54 UTC

On 3/10/24 6:13 PM, pothead wrote:
> On 2024-03-10, Bradley K. Sherman <bks@panix.com> wrote:
>> |
>> | The Fundie Baby Voice
>> |
>> | As soon as Senator Katie Britt started speaking, I knew
>> | exactly who she is. She is so many of the pastor's wives
>> | and Sunday School teachers I knew growing up in an
>> | Evangelical church. Be sweet. Obey.
>> <https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice>
>>

> --bkshttps://www.newsweek.com/trump-never-informed-chinese-balloons-pentagon-congressman-1779069
>
> Church and state should be separate.

Never happens, anywhere.

"Church" provides the 'moral/ethical framework"
within which State is supposed to operate. Also
combined, feeding off each others rep and audience,
both grow stronger.

Even Putin immediately began to push religion once
he achieved power.

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<lywHN.113449$GX69.651@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37122&group=alt.politics#37122

From: 67hz.1...@g4t5x.net (67hz.1803)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:21:55 -0700
 by: 67hz.1803 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 05:21 UTC

On 3/10/2024 7:54 PM, 67hx.1803 wrote:

>>> <https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice>
>>>
>> --bkshttps://www.newsweek.com/trump-never-informed-chinese-balloons-pentagon-congressman-1779069
>>
>> Church and state should be separate.
>
>   Never happens, anywhere.
>
>   "Church" provides the 'moral/ethical framework"
>   within which State is supposed to operate.

Bullshit. Just fucking bullshit.

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<1-GdnY3AHeL8BnP4nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37125&group=alt.politics#37125

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: 67hx.1...@g4t5x.net (67hx.1803)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:49:20 -0400
 by: 67hx.1803 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 05:49 UTC

On 3/11/24 1:21 AM, 67hz.1803 wrote:
> On 3/10/2024 7:54 PM, 67hx.1803 wrote:

>>> --bkshttps://www.newsweek.com/trump-never-informed-chinese-balloons-pentagon-congressman-1779069
>>>

>>> Church and state should be separate.
>>
>>    Never happens, anywhere.
>>
>>    "Church" provides the 'moral/ethical framework"
>>    within which State is supposed to operate.
>
> Bullshit. Just fucking bullshit.

I would not expect any of Xi's little lapdogs
to have any proper education in historical
matters .....

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<T6xHN.115961$U1cc.24720@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37127&group=alt.politics#37127

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: 67hz.1...@g4t5x.net (67hz.1803)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:01:24 -0700
 by: 67hz.1803 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 06:01 UTC

On 3/10/2024 10:49 PM, 67hx.1803 wrote:
> On 3/11/24 1:21 AM, 67hz.1803 wrote:

>>>    Never happens, anywhere.
>>>
>>>    "Church" provides the 'moral/ethical framework"
>>>    within which State is supposed to operate.
>>
>> Bullshit. Just fucking bullshit.
>
>   I would not expect any of Xi's little lapdogs

You do not know history. Just fuck off. You're a pompous uneducated windbag. You
fancy yourself some kind of sage, and you're nothing of the kind.

"Church" has nothing to do with morality — nothing at all. Religion originally
did, but no longer. Religion is not "church." Fundie religions and churches are
only about telling people what to do, and punishing them if they don't do as
told, for reasons having nothing to do with morality. Evangelical "Christianity"
is nothing but Nazism. You, of course, are a Nazi, as you keep telling us.

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<usngq7$3oe8u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37143&group=alt.politics#37143

From: poth...@snakebite.com (pothead)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:59:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pothead - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:59 UTC

On 2024-03-11, 67hx.1803 <67hx.1802@g4t5x.net> wrote:

>>> <https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice>
>>>

>> --bkshttps://www.newsweek.com/trump-never-informed-chinese-balloons-pentagon-congressman-1779069
>>
>> Church and state should be separate.
>
> Never happens, anywhere.
>
> "Church" provides the 'moral/ethical framework"
> within which State is supposed to operate. Also
> combined, feeding off each others rep and audience,
> both grow stronger.
>
> Even Putin immediately began to push religion once
> he achieved power.

That's a fair point.

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024.
Crazy Joe Biden Is A Demented Imbecile.
Impeach Joe Biden 2022.

Re: Fundie Baby Voice

<96uuuid6q1gv13be8rr02detjsvlql1efc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37149&group=alt.politics#37149

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:34:21 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:34 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:13:57 -0000 (UTC), pothead <pothead@snakebite.com> wrote:

>Church and state should be separate.

You don't actually believe that or you wouldn't be supporting Republicans.

Swill
--
"There are no wrong books. What's wrong is the fear of them."

When Donald Trump was in third grade . . .
https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1987/07/10

Not left, not right, https://www.forwardparty.com/

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.