Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 13:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Fareed Zakaria: Britain resigns as a world power
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 20:58 UTC

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 11:44:49 AM UTC-4, Johanne Strause wrote:
> It's irrelevant to the context of this discussion. Oh dear, tiger mom is
> just a typical one with her intent to make her story that she wrote worthy
> of her sales. There is nothing to glue when a empire is reduced and
> diminishing in their own quiet ways.
>
> I believe Britain don’t have this magic glue to keep the empire wealthy and
> powerful is a myth and imagination. Their dependent of resources from those
> ex-colonies and their stealing of their coffers from them over their years
> made them rich, bullying and powerful pulling further ahead from them.
>
> But ever since their pullouts of their former colonial countries, they
> dwindled from their own fault caused by their own welfare system that
> drained them of their wealth. When they have no more wealth, unless they are
> sent home, their problem will begin to fester in their own country, and this
> can cause collapses.

Brexit and the election of Donald Trump without doubt had forced the Brits to think
deeply concerning the future of the kingdom. Leaving the EU means the UK will be
more independent economically speaking. The election of Donald Trump also afforded
the UK an opportunity through influencing Trump, as suggested by Nigel Kim Darroch's
(UK's ambassador to the USA) leaked memo .

Since then, the UK appears to pursuit an empire of the mind.

> [...]
> > to commit to maintaining budgets at that level. (It should be said that
> > most
> > other European countries are worse, which means that the United States
> > accounts for more than 70 percent of NATO's military spending.) The same
> > is
> > true of other elements of Britain's global influence. In Cameron's first
> > term, the Foreign Office budget was cut by more than a quarter, and
> > further
> > trims are likely. The BBC World Service, perhaps the most influential arm
> > of
> > the country's global public diplomacy, has shuttered five of its
> > foreign-language broadcasts, and the organization's entire budget has been
> > slashed, with more cuts to come.
> >
> > The country is suspicious of a robust foreign policy of any kind --
> > including serious sanctions against Russia, getting tough in trade talks
> > with China, the use of force in the Middle East and an engaged
> > relationship
> > with the rest of Europe. During the recent election, as The Post reported,
> > foreign policy barely surfaced.
> >
> > Why does this matter? Because on almost all global issues, Britain has a
> > voice that is intelligent, engaged and forward-looking. It wants to
> > strengthen and uphold today's international system -- one based on the
> > free
> > flow of ideas, goods and services around the world, one that promotes
> > individual rights and the rule of law.
> >
> > This is not an accident. Britain essentially created the world we live in.
> > In his excellent book "God and Gold," Walter Russell Mead points out that
> > in the 16th century many countries were poised to advance economically and
> > politically -- Northern Italy's city-states, the Hanseatic League, the Low
> > Countries, France, Spain. But Britain managed to edge out the others,
> > becoming the first great industrial economy and the modern world's first
> > superpower. It colonized and shaped countries and cultures from Australia
> > India to Africa to the Western Hemisphere, including of course, its
> > settlements in North America. Had Spain or Germany become the world's
> > leading power, things would look very different today.
> >
> > It is a paradox, readily apparent to visitors to Britain, that London
> > continues to thrive as a global hub, increasingly cosmopolitan and
> > worldly.
> > More than a third of Londoners were born outside the United Kingdom. And
> > this government has been more than willing to travel around the world
> > petitioning for investment, whether it be Chinese, Russian or Arab. That
> > is
> > fine as a strategy for an aspiring entrepôt or financial haven, but
> > Britain
> > is not Luxembourg. It is, even now, a country with the talent, history and
> > capacity to shape the international order. Which is why the inward turn of
> > the United Kingdom is a tragedy not just for it but for all of us.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Fareed Zakaria: Britain resigns as a world power

<sddl1s$ft5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3717&group=soc.culture.china#3717

From: fawc...@fawcett.co.uk (fawcett)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 22:46:55 +0800
 by: fawcett - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 14:46 UTC

UK's shackle by EU is now free and easy. UK hence wants to restore its
cunning pride of becoming an evil empire again to dictate and tell and
influence its former colonies not to work with China but them and US and the
5 eyes.

<d474543a-2aee-47e0-ba12-200cd487e3e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3721&group=soc.culture.china#3721

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 07:00:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 14:00 UTC

Yes. That is the idea.
In addition, the UK military budget got a double digit increase last year.

On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 1:45:35 AM UTC-4, fawcett wrote:
> UK's shackle by EU is now free and easy. UK hence wants to restore its
> cunning pride of becoming an evil empire again to dictate and tell and
> influence its former colonies not to work with China but them and US and the
> 5 eyes.
>

> "ltlee1" wrote in message
> On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 11:44:49 AM UTC-4, Johanne Strause wrote:
> > It's irrelevant to the context of this discussion. Oh dear, tiger mom is
> > just a typical one with her intent to make her story that she wrote worthy
> > of her sales. There is nothing to glue when a empire is reduced and
> > diminishing in their own quiet ways.
> >
> > I believe Britain don’t have this magic glue to keep the empire wealthy
> > and
> > powerful is a myth and imagination. Their dependent of resources from
> > those
> > ex-colonies and their stealing of their coffers from them over their years
> > made them rich, bullying and powerful pulling further ahead from them.
> >
> > But ever since their pullouts of their former colonial countries, they
> > dwindled from their own fault caused by their own welfare system that
> > drained them of their wealth. When they have no more wealth, unless they
> > are
> > sent home, their problem will begin to fester in their own country, and
> > this
> > can cause collapses.
> >
> Brexit and the election of Donald Trump without doubt had forced the Brits
> to think
> deeply concerning the future of the kingdom. Leaving the EU means the UK
> will be
> more independent economically speaking. The election of Donald Trump also
> afforded
> the UK an opportunity through influencing Trump, as suggested by Nigel Kim
> Darroch's
> (UK's ambassador to the USA) leaked memo .
>
> Since then, the UK appears to pursuit an empire of the mind.
$120 billion of the budget is committed to new equipment and support.
Is Tiger mom still right? Could the UK use the budget to get itself wealthier?

> [...]
> > > continues to thrive as a global hub, increasingly cosmopolitan and
> > > worldly.
> > > More than a third of Londoners were born outside the United Kingdom. And
> > > this government has been more than willing to travel around the world
> > > petitioning for investment, whether it be Chinese, Russian or Arab. That
> > > is
> > > fine as a strategy for an aspiring entrepôt or financial haven, but
> > > Britain
> > > is not Luxembourg. It is, even now, a country with the talent, history
> > > and
> > > capacity to shape the international order. Which is why the inward turn
> > > of
> > > the United Kingdom is a tragedy not just for it but for all of us.
> > >
> > > ------------------

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Fareed Zakaria: Britain resigns as a world power

<9OudnZCHVtuojGb9nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3728&group=soc.culture.china#3728

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,can.politics,talk.politics.misc
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:57:54 -0500
 by: Byker - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 18:57 UTC

"fawcett" wrote in message news:sddl1s$ft5$1@dont-email.me...

> UK's shackle by EU is now free and easy. UK hence wants to restore its
> cunning pride of becoming an evil empire again to dictate and tell and
> influence its former colonies not to work with China but them and US and
> the 5 eyes.

For once I can agree with Fareed Zakaria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zj-HFUSagA

Good luck calling HIM a "Nazi"...

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Fareed Zakaria: Britain resigns as a world power