Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 08:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Pichon vs Pichon- 2000, 1996, 1989, 1975, plus singles
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 15:15 UTC

Our Bordeaux group got back to claret Tuesday, doing (yet another) Pichon vs Pichon showdown at Balvanera on Lower East Side. With white and Champagne we had bacalao croquetas, then with reds we had beef empanadas. grilled provolone and tomato confit, skirt steaks, arancini, dry aged ribeye, & french fries. Food was delicious as always.

2015 R de Rieussec
(I think this is name, Rieussec sec in any case, first time to try).
Unsure of cepage, but nose was very SB -grass, grapefruit,and ahint of pineapple., while the palate was more Semillon- honied and a little oily, with melon and pineapple. Pretty good dose of oak. Interesting wine. B

2007 Philipponnat 1522 Rose
On the dry side, citrus and cherry with herbs and caraway seed. Long finish,.very nice, A-

1975 Ch. Pichon Baron
My least favorite of the night, yet met or exceeded my expectations! It’s good to have low expectations.It’s alive, with some red plum fruit, but astringent tannins, and a heavy ashtray note overwhelms the cedar and leather.. B-/C+

1975 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Some tannin, but more resolved than Baron, and with a nice smoky black plum base. Complex nose, not as attractive on palate, but still damn good for ‘75 Medoc. B

2000 Ch. Pichon Baron
I was surprised that this was the one I got green/herby notes from. But not unpleasant green, and there’s solid black plum fruit with mocha. Needs time, very good. B+

2000 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Fuller ripe style, rich cassis framed with lead pencil and smoke. B+

1996 Ch. Pichon Baron
Structured, black fruited, soem vanillin oak, moderate finish. B+/B

1996 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Rich and full, wonderful texture, complex young nose, excellent finish. A-

1989 Ch. Pichon Baron
Round, voluptuous, cassis and black cherry, leather,lush texture. B+/A-

1989 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Elegant, smooth, complete. Lovely nose with cigarbox and leather, rich black fruit on palate, excellent length, my WOTN. A-

1990 Ch. Pichon Baron
Ripe but not roasted, cedaryoak, lovely cassis fruit, leather and lead pencil. A-/B+

1986 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Big but still maintaining Comtesse elegance, dark fruit accented with coffee and tobacco, long finish A-/B+

Really fun night , with great people and wines

Group voting (3/2/1)
1989 Ch. Pichon Lalande 16
1996 Ch. Pichon Lalande 8
1989 Ch. Pichon Baron 8
1990 Ch. Pichon Baron 8
1986 Ch. Pichon Lalande 3
2000 Ch. Pichon Baron 3
2000 Ch. Pichon Lalande 2

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.