From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens.organic
Subject: Re: No new news?
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:11:51 -0500
 by: songbird - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:11 UTC

Gary Woods wrote:
> Followups set to rec.gardens.edible, rec.gardens.organic
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 15:18:32 -0500, songbird <songbird@anthive.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Russell Crow of A Bean Collectors Window website is a bean
>>friend of mine. he runs a network of growers from a
>>subcollection of his and i've enjoyed trading beans with him
>>and growing some beans for him too. i'll be doing it again
>>this season.
>
> I've seen Russell several times at the SSE summer "campout." The last
> few years, I camped at a motel in Decorah.
> Got several beans from him, including "Cherokee Trail of Tears," which
> makes kudzu look anemic!

we've talked on the phone a few times and i met him about
two years ago at our local regional seed swap. sadly that is
not happening this year. i hope to see him again sometime. :)
bean friends are always good to see. the problem with a seed
swap is that once it gets going it is often very busy and there
isn't too much time to talk or look through things we've
brought.

i am not into pole beans but i'm familiar with that name
and i have grown some pole beans in the past that were over
the top of the fence by the 4th of July (even in our rather
poor soil). that is impressive. :)

last year i only grew a few pole beans of one variety and
it wasn't a stable one so i didn't get back the beans i was
hoping for.

the year before i grew out a lot of pole beans and had
some return but we got frosted in September 15th and so much
of the beans that were plump but not dried down were ruined.
i just can't afford to do too many beans like that and won't
do it again. a lot of work for not much return. instead
what i work on here myself and for my own collection and
growing are earlier season bush beans so that they are
mostly done by mid-September. that's my cut-off date. any-
thing that goes longer than that isn't my primary focus at
all. just experimental or i'm selecting and hoping for
earlier crosses which keep the same seed coat pattern and
other desired traits. :) i get a few beans here or there
that fit my needs and that is fun and why i keep doing it.

songbird