It was all so different before everything changed.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: 2011, pie challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challengePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challengeDan Blum
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: 2011, pie challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challenge

<NMadnYDIpud-lLb_nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3728&group=rec.games.trivia#3728

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 02:35:47 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:35 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Current Events of 2011

We give the event in headline form; you simply give the *month* of
2011 when it occurred. Answers may repeat.

1. No-Fly Zone is Imposed in Libya.
2. Protesters Attack Israeli Embassy in Cairo.
3. Violent Riots Spread through Great Britain.
4. Texas Experiences Record-Breaking Wildfires.
5. President Obama Proposes 2012 Federal Budget.
6. Japan beats USA to win Women's World Cup of soccer.
7. Italy Passes More Austerity Measures, Berlusconi Steps Down.
8. Floods Force Evacuations along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

9. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Among 17 Shot in Assassination Attempt,
6 Killed.

10. Possible Shutdown of US Government Goes Down to the Wire;
Dispute over Spending Cuts Pushes the Federal Budget Agreement
to its Deadline.

** Game 8, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Pie

In honor of Pi Day, 2012-03-14.

* A. Pi

A1. If r is the radius of a sphere, what measure of the sphere
is given by the formula 4 pi r²?

A2. If you have a cylinder of height h and the circular end
of radius r, what formula gives the volume of the cylinder?
(Please write pi as "pi" in the answer, no Unicode.)

* B. Pie

B1. What name is given to a molasses pie considered traditional
among the Pennsylvania Dutch and is also well-known in
Southern cooking?

B2. This savory pie, regarded as a national dish in the area
where it originated, is filled with beef, sliced or diced
potato, swede (also known as a yellow turnip or rutabaga)
and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper, and is baked.
Name it.

* C. "American Pie" (Music)

C1. In the song "American Pie", consider the following lyrics:
"When the jester sang for the King and Queen, in a coat he
borrowed from James Dean." According to most interpretations
of the song, who is the Jester?

C2. Consider the lyrics: "So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be
quick, Jack Flash sat on a candlestick, 'cause fire is the
Devil's only friend." By most interpretations Jack is
Mick Jagger, and McLean is singing about this December
1969 concert that many believe signalled the failure of
the counterculture movement. What concert?

* D. "American Pie" (Movies)

D1. Name the Canadian who """is""" the only actor to have
appeared in """all 8""" of the "American Pie" movies
(including direct-to-video releases), as Noah Levenstein.

D2. This red-haired actress starred as Michelle Flaherty in
"""four""" "American Pie" movies. She """is""" also known
for her roles as Willow Rosenberg in the television series
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and Lily Aldrin on the sitcom
"How I Met Your Mother".

* E. Nursery Rhymes with Pie

Give the full names or descriptions as used in the rhymes.

E1. Who met a pieman going to the fair and asked to taste
his ware?

E2. Who put his thumb into his Christmas pie and pulled out
a plum?

* F. Pius

Give us the *number* of specific Pope Pius described in each question.

F1. This man was the longest-reigning elected Pope, serving from
1846 until his death 32 years later. He convened the First
Vatican Council in 1869, which decreed papal infallibility.
He was the last Pope to rule as the Sovereign of the
Papal States.

F2. This Pope reigned from 1939 to 1958. He was a staunch
opponent of Italian Communist party; anyone who voted for
a Communist candidate in the 1948 elections faced automatic
excommunication.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Here I sit, ego the size of a planet..."
msb@vex.net | --Steve Summit (after Douglas Adams)

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challenge

<XnsAE57D2738DC21Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3731&group=rec.games.trivia#3731

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:41:17 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 19:41 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Current Events of 2011
>
> We give the event in headline form; you simply give the *month* of
> 2011 when it occurred. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. No-Fly Zone is Imposed in Libya.

April

> 2. Protesters Attack Israeli Embassy in Cairo.

March

> 3. Violent Riots Spread through Great Britain.

September

> 4. Texas Experiences Record-Breaking Wildfires.

August

> 5. President Obama Proposes 2012 Federal Budget.

February

> 6. Japan beats USA to win Women's World Cup of soccer.

July

> 7. Italy Passes More Austerity Measures, Berlusconi Steps Down.

November
> 8. Floods Force Evacuations along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

April
> 9. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Among 17 Shot in Assassination Attempt,
> 6 Killed.

October
> 10. Possible Shutdown of US Government Goes Down to the Wire;
> Dispute over Spending Cuts Pushes the Federal Budget Agreement
> to its Deadline.

October

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Pie
>
> In honor of Pi Day, 2012-03-14.
>
> * A. Pi
>
> A1. If r is the radius of a sphere, what measure of the sphere
> is given by the formula 4 pi r²?

Volume
> A2. If you have a cylinder of height h and the circular end
> of radius r, what formula gives the volume of the cylinder?
> (Please write pi as "pi" in the answer, no Unicode.)

2 pi r² h
> * F. Pius
>
> Give us the *number* of specific Pope Pius described in each question.
>
> F1. This man was the longest-reigning elected Pope, serving from
> 1846 until his death 32 years later. He convened the First
> Vatican Council in 1869, which decreed papal infallibility.
> He was the last Pope to rule as the Sovereign of the
> Papal States.

> F2. This Pope reigned from 1939 to 1958. He was a staunch
> opponent of Italian Communist party; anyone who voted for
> a Communist candidate in the 1948 elections faced automatic
> excommunication.

XII

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challenge

<7f08da27-159a-48b5-a2c9-a81da79ed66en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3732&group=rec.games.trivia#3732

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:37:45 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 02:37 UTC

On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 2:35:53 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Current Events of 2011
>
> We give the event in headline form; you simply give the *month* of
> 2011 when it occurred. Answers may repeat.

I'm afraid that some of these events were less memorable than they may have appeared at the time.

> 1. No-Fly Zone is Imposed in Libya.

February; March

> 2. Protesters Attack Israeli Embassy in Cairo.

April; May

> 3. Violent Riots Spread through Great Britain.

June; July

> 4. Texas Experiences Record-Breaking Wildfires.

August; September

> 5. President Obama Proposes 2012 Federal Budget.

February; March

> 6. Japan beats USA to win Women's World Cup of soccer.

July

> 7. Italy Passes More Austerity Measures, Berlusconi Steps Down.

October; November

> 8. Floods Force Evacuations along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

May; June

> 9. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Among 17 Shot in Assassination Attempt,
> 6 Killed.

March; April

> 10. Possible Shutdown of US Government Goes Down to the Wire;
> Dispute over Spending Cuts Pushes the Federal Budget Agreement
> to its Deadline.

October; November

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Pie
>
> In honor of Pi Day, 2012-03-14.
>
> * A. Pi
>
> A1. If r is the radius of a sphere, what measure of the sphere
> is given by the formula 4 pi r²?

surface area

> A2. If you have a cylinder of height h and the circular end
> of radius r, what formula gives the volume of the cylinder?
> (Please write pi as "pi" in the answer, no Unicode.)

(pi)(r^2)h

> * B. Pie
>
> B1. What name is given to a molasses pie considered traditional
> among the Pennsylvania Dutch and is also well-known in
> Southern cooking?

shoofly pie

> * C. "American Pie" (Music)
>
> C1. In the song "American Pie", consider the following lyrics:
> "When the jester sang for the King and Queen, in a coat he
> borrowed from James Dean." According to most interpretations
> of the song, who is the Jester?

Bob Dylan
> C2. Consider the lyrics: "So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be
> quick, Jack Flash sat on a candlestick, 'cause fire is the
> Devil's only friend." By most interpretations Jack is
> Mick Jagger, and McLean is singing about this December
> 1969 concert that many believe signalled the failure of
> the counterculture movement. What concert?

Altamont

> * D. "American Pie" (Movies)
>
> D1. Name the Canadian who """is""" the only actor to have
> appeared in """all 8""" of the "American Pie" movies
> (including direct-to-video releases), as Noah Levenstein.

Eugene Levy

> D2. This red-haired actress starred as Michelle Flaherty in
> """four""" "American Pie" movies. She """is""" also known
> for her roles as Willow Rosenberg in the television series
> "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and Lily Aldrin on the sitcom
> "How I Met Your Mother".

Alyson Hannigan

> * E. Nursery Rhymes with Pie
>
> Give the full names or descriptions as used in the rhymes.
>
> E1. Who met a pieman going to the fair and asked to taste
> his ware?

Simple Simon
> E2. Who put his thumb into his Christmas pie and pulled out
> a plum?

Little Jack Horner

> * F. Pius
>
> Give us the *number* of specific Pope Pius described in each question.
>
> F1. This man was the longest-reigning elected Pope, serving from
> 1846 until his death 32 years later. He convened the First
> Vatican Council in 1869, which decreed papal infallibility.
> He was the last Pope to rule as the Sovereign of the
> Papal States.

Pius IX

> F2. This Pope reigned from 1939 to 1958. He was a staunch
> opponent of Italian Communist party; anyone who voted for
> a Communist candidate in the 1948 elections faced automatic
> excommunication.

Pius XII

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challenge

<t0j6e3$kh0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3733&group=rec.games.trivia#3733

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:21:55 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 22:21 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-19,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Current Events of 2011
>
> We give the event in headline form; you simply give the *month* of
> 2011 when it occurred. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. No-Fly Zone is Imposed in Libya.

January; February

> 2. Protesters Attack Israeli Embassy in Cairo.

March; April

> 3. Violent Riots Spread through Great Britain.

May; June

> 4. Texas Experiences Record-Breaking Wildfires.

June; July

> 5. President Obama Proposes 2012 Federal Budget.

August; September

> 6. Japan beats USA to win Women's World Cup of soccer.

July

> 7. Italy Passes More Austerity Measures, Berlusconi Steps Down.

September; October

> 8. Floods Force Evacuations along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

April; May

> 9. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Among 17 Shot in Assassination Attempt,
> 6 Killed.

July; August

> 10. Possible Shutdown of US Government Goes Down to the Wire;
> Dispute over Spending Cuts Pushes the Federal Budget Agreement
> to its Deadline.

December; November

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Pie
>
> In honor of Pi Day, 2012-03-14.
>
> * A. Pi
>
> A1. If r is the radius of a sphere, what measure of the sphere
> is given by the formula 4 pi r²?
>
> A2. If you have a cylinder of height h and the circular end
> of radius r, what formula gives the volume of the cylinder?
> (Please write pi as "pi" in the answer, no Unicode.)

h * pi * r * r

> * B. Pie
>
> B1. What name is given to a molasses pie considered traditional
> among the Pennsylvania Dutch and is also well-known in
> Southern cooking?
>
> B2. This savory pie, regarded as a national dish in the area
> where it originated, is filled with beef, sliced or diced
> potato, swede (also known as a yellow turnip or rutabaga)
> and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper, and is baked.
> Name it.

Pasty; Shepherd's pie

> * C. "American Pie" (Music)
>
> C1. In the song "American Pie", consider the following lyrics:
> "When the jester sang for the King and Queen, in a coat he
> borrowed from James Dean." According to most interpretations
> of the song, who is the Jester?

Jim Morrison

> C2. Consider the lyrics: "So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be
> quick, Jack Flash sat on a candlestick, 'cause fire is the
> Devil's only friend." By most interpretations Jack is
> Mick Jagger, and McLean is singing about this December
> 1969 concert that many believe signalled the failure of
> the counterculture movement. What concert?

Altamont

> * D. "American Pie" (Movies)
>
> D1. Name the Canadian who """is""" the only actor to have
> appeared in """all 8""" of the "American Pie" movies
> (including direct-to-video releases), as Noah Levenstein.
>
> D2. This red-haired actress starred as Michelle Flaherty in
> """four""" "American Pie" movies. She """is""" also known
> for her roles as Willow Rosenberg in the television series
> "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and Lily Aldrin on the sitcom
> "How I Met Your Mother".
>

> * E. Nursery Rhymes with Pie
>
> Give the full names or descriptions as used in the rhymes.
>
> E1. Who met a pieman going to the fair and asked to taste
> his ware?

Simple Simon

> E2. Who put his thumb into his Christmas pie and pulled out
> a plum?

Little Jack Horner

> * F. Pius
>
> Give us the *number* of specific Pope Pius described in each question.
>
> F1. This man was the longest-reigning elected Pope, serving from
> 1846 until his death 32 years later. He convened the First
> Vatican Council in 1869, which decreed papal infallibility.
> He was the last Pope to rule as the Sovereign of the
> Papal States.

XI; X

> F2. This Pope reigned from 1939 to 1958. He was a staunch
> opponent of Italian Communist party; anyone who voted for
> a Communist candidate in the 1948 elections faced automatic
> excommunication.

XII

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challenge

<t0k056$15l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3734&group=rec.games.trivia#3734

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 21:40:52 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 05:40 UTC

On 3/11/22 00:35, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Current Events of 2011
>
> We give the event in headline form; you simply give the *month* of
> 2011 when it occurred. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. No-Fly Zone is Imposed in Libya.
> 2. Protesters Attack Israeli Embassy in Cairo.
> 3. Violent Riots Spread through Great Britain.
> 4. Texas Experiences Record-Breaking Wildfires.
> 5. President Obama Proposes 2012 Federal Budget.
> 6. Japan beats USA to win Women's World Cup of soccer.

July

> 7. Italy Passes More Austerity Measures, Berlusconi Steps Down.
> 8. Floods Force Evacuations along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

April

> 9. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Among 17 Shot in Assassination Attempt,
> 6 Killed.
>
> 10. Possible Shutdown of US Government Goes Down to the Wire;
> Dispute over Spending Cuts Pushes the Federal Budget Agreement
> to its Deadline.

December

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Pie
>
> In honor of Pi Day, 2012-03-14.
>
> * A. Pi
>
> A1. If r is the radius of a sphere, what measure of the sphere
> is given by the formula 4 pi r²?

surface area

> A2. If you have a cylinder of height h and the circular end
> of radius r, what formula gives the volume of the cylinder?
> (Please write pi as "pi" in the answer, no Unicode.)

h(pi r^2)

> * B. Pie
>
> B1. What name is given to a molasses pie considered traditional
> among the Pennsylvania Dutch and is also well-known in
> Southern cooking?
>
> B2. This savory pie, regarded as a national dish in the area
> where it originated, is filled with beef, sliced or diced
> potato, swede (also known as a yellow turnip or rutabaga)
> and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper, and is baked.
> Name it.

shepherd's pie

> * C. "American Pie" (Music)
>
> C1. In the song "American Pie", consider the following lyrics:
> "When the jester sang for the King and Queen, in a coat he
> borrowed from James Dean." According to most interpretations
> of the song, who is the Jester?

Bob Dylan

> C2. Consider the lyrics: "So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be
> quick, Jack Flash sat on a candlestick, 'cause fire is the
> Devil's only friend." By most interpretations Jack is
> Mick Jagger, and McLean is singing about this December
> 1969 concert that many believe signalled the failure of
> the counterculture movement. What concert?
>

> * D. "American Pie" (Movies)
>
> D1. Name the Canadian who """is""" the only actor to have
> appeared in """all 8""" of the "American Pie" movies
> (including direct-to-video releases), as Noah Levenstein.
>
> D2. This red-haired actress starred as Michelle Flaherty in
> """four""" "American Pie" movies. She """is""" also known
> for her roles as Willow Rosenberg in the television series
> "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and Lily Aldrin on the sitcom
> "How I Met Your Mother".
>

> * E. Nursery Rhymes with Pie
>
> Give the full names or descriptions as used in the rhymes.
>
> E1. Who met a pieman going to the fair and asked to taste
> his ware?
>
> E2. Who put his thumb into his Christmas pie and pulled out
> a plum?

Little Jack Horner

> * F. Pius
>
> Give us the *number* of specific Pope Pius described in each question.
>
> F1. This man was the longest-reigning elected Pope, serving from
> 1846 until his death 32 years later. He convened the First
> Vatican Council in 1869, which decreed papal infallibility.
> He was the last Pope to rule as the Sovereign of the
> Papal States.

Pius X

> F2. This Pope reigned from 1939 to 1958. He was a staunch
> opponent of Italian Communist party; anyone who voted for
> a Communist candidate in the 1948 elections faced automatic
> excommunication.

Pius XII

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: 2011, pie challenge

<t0m0bk$610$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3735&group=rec.games.trivia#3735

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 23:56:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 23:56 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Current Events of 2011

> 1. No-Fly Zone is Imposed in Libya.

February; March

> 2. Protesters Attack Israeli Embassy in Cairo.

March; April

> 3. Violent Riots Spread through Great Britain.

April; May

> 4. Texas Experiences Record-Breaking Wildfires.

August; July

> 5. President Obama Proposes 2012 Federal Budget.

September

> 6. Japan beats USA to win Women's World Cup of soccer.

May

> 7. Italy Passes More Austerity Measures, Berlusconi Steps Down.

October; November

> 8. Floods Force Evacuations along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

April; May

> 9. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Among 17 Shot in Assassination Attempt,
> 6 Killed.

June; July

> 10. Possible Shutdown of US Government Goes Down to the Wire;
> Dispute over Spending Cuts Pushes the Federal Budget Agreement
> to its Deadline.

December

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Pie

> * A. Pi

> A1. If r is the radius of a sphere, what measure of the sphere
> is given by the formula 4 pi r??

surface area

> A2. If you have a cylinder of height h and the circular end
> of radius r, what formula gives the volume of the cylinder?
> (Please write pi as "pi" in the answer, no Unicode.)

h * pi * r^2

> * B. Pie

> B1. What name is given to a molasses pie considered traditional
> among the Pennsylvania Dutch and is also well-known in
> Southern cooking?

shoo-fly pie

> * C. "American Pie" (Music)

> C1. In the song "American Pie", consider the following lyrics:
> "When the jester sang for the King and Queen, in a coat he
> borrowed from James Dean." According to most interpretations
> of the song, who is the Jester?

Bob Dylan

> C2. Consider the lyrics: "So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be
> quick, Jack Flash sat on a candlestick, 'cause fire is the
> Devil's only friend." By most interpretations Jack is
> Mick Jagger, and McLean is singing about this December
> 1969 concert that many believe signalled the failure of
> the counterculture movement. What concert?

Altamont

> * D. "American Pie" (Movies)

> D1. Name the Canadian who """is""" the only actor to have
> appeared in """all 8""" of the "American Pie" movies
> (including direct-to-video releases), as Noah Levenstein.

Eugene Levy

> D2. This red-haired actress starred as Michelle Flaherty in
> """four""" "American Pie" movies. She """is""" also known
> for her roles as Willow Rosenberg in the television series
> "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and Lily Aldrin on the sitcom
> "How I Met Your Mother".

Allyson Hannigan

> * E. Nursery Rhymes with Pie

> E1. Who met a pieman going to the fair and asked to taste
> his ware?

Simple Simon

> E2. Who put his thumb into his Christmas pie and pulled out
> a plum?

Little Jack Horner

> * F. Pius

> F1. This man was the longest-reigning elected Pope, serving from
> 1846 until his death 32 years later. He convened the First
> Vatican Council in 1869, which decreed papal infallibility.
> He was the last Pope to rule as the Sovereign of the
> Papal States.

XIV; XV

> F2. This Pope reigned from 1939 to 1958. He was a staunch
> opponent of Italian Communist party; anyone who voted for
> a Communist candidate in the 1948 elections faced automatic
> excommunication.

XVI

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: 2011, pie challenge

<gJmdnaxB8dPKSLP_nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3736&group=rec.games.trivia#3736

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: 2011, pie challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:40:39 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 05:40 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-19,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

So the winner of Game 8 is JOSHUA KREITZER with room to spare.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Current Events of 2011

> We give the event in headline form; you simply give the *month* of
> 2011 when it occurred. Answers may repeat.

In the original game, this was the hardest round of the entire season.

I looked up a representative date for each event and have shown them
in parentheses. I did not attempt to access the news stories whose
actual headlines are shown, and therefore -- especially for events
that took place over a number of days -- the date I show may not be
the exact date of the headline.

> 1. No-Fly Zone is Imposed in Libya.

March (17). 2 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 2. Protesters Attack Israeli Embassy in Cairo.

September (10).

> 3. Violent Riots Spread through Great Britain.

August (9).

> 4. Texas Experiences Record-Breaking Wildfires.

September (9). 2 for Joshua.

> 5. President Obama Proposes 2012 Federal Budget.

February (14). 4 for Erland. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. Japan beats USA to win Women's World Cup of soccer.

July (17). 4 for Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Italy Passes More Austerity Measures, Berlusconi Steps Down.

November (12). 4 for Erland. 2 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. Floods Force Evacuations along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.

May (5). 3 for Joshua. 2 for Pete and Dan Blum.

> 9. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Among 17 Shot in Assassination Attempt,
> 6 Killed.

January (8).

> 10. Possible Shutdown of US Government Goes Down to the Wire;
> Dispute over Spending Cuts Pushes the Federal Budget Agreement
> to its Deadline.

April (8).

On 2021-11-24, while I was adapting this season for reposting,
"Jeopardy!" had a contestant who was a math teacher but confessed
that, although she was born on March 14, not only did she not like
most pies, she also didn't like any math that involved circles!

She was not the day's winner.

> * A. Pi

> A1. If r is the radius of a sphere, what measure of the sphere
> is given by the formula 4 pi r²?

Surface area of the sphere. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> A2. If you have a cylinder of height h and the circular end
> of radius r, what formula gives the volume of the cylinder?
> (Please write pi as "pi" in the answer, no Unicode.)

pi h r². 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * B. Pie

> B1. What name is given to a molasses pie considered traditional
> among the Pennsylvania Dutch and is also well-known in
> Southern cooking?

Shoofly pie. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> B2. This savory pie, regarded as a national dish in the area
> where it originated, is filled with beef, sliced or diced
> potato, swede (also known as a yellow turnip or rutabaga)
> and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper, and is baked.
> Name it.

Cornish pasty. 3 for Pete.

Rather inappropriately, it rhymes with "nasty" rather than "tasty".
I accepted "pasty" alone for full points.

> * C. "American Pie" (Music)

> C1. In the song "American Pie", consider the following lyrics:
> "When the jester sang for the King and Queen, in a coat he
> borrowed from James Dean." According to most interpretations
> of the song, who is the Jester?

Bob Dylan. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> C2. Consider the lyrics: "So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be
> quick, Jack Flash sat on a candlestick, 'cause fire is the
> Devil's only friend." By most interpretations Jack is
> Mick Jagger, and McLean is singing about this December
> 1969 concert that many believe signalled the failure of
> the counterculture movement. What concert?

Altamont. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> * D. "American Pie" (Movies)

> D1. Name the Canadian who """is""" the only actor to have
> appeared in """all 8""" of the "American Pie" movies
> (including direct-to-video releases), as Noah Levenstein.

Eugene Levy. (Still alive, but he did not appear in the one later
entry in the series.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> D2. This red-haired actress starred as Michelle Flaherty in
> """four""" "American Pie" movies. She """is""" also known
> for her roles as Willow Rosenberg in the television series
> "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and Lily Aldrin on the sitcom
> "How I Met Your Mother".

Alyson Hannigan. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * E. Nursery Rhymes with Pie

> Give the full names or descriptions as used in the rhymes.

> E1. Who met a pieman going to the fair and asked to taste
> his ware?

Simple Simon. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> E2. Who put his thumb into his Christmas pie and pulled out
> a plum?

Little Jack Horner. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * F. Pius

> Give us the *number* of specific Pope Pius described in each question.

> F1. This man was the longest-reigning elected Pope, serving from
> 1846 until his death 32 years later. He convened the First
> Vatican Council in 1869, which decreed papal infallibility.
> He was the last Pope to rule as the Sovereign of the
> Papal States.

IX. 4 for Joshua.

> F2. This Pope reigned from 1939 to 1958. He was a staunch
> opponent of Italian Communist party; anyone who voted for
> a Communist candidate in the 1948 elections faced automatic
> excommunication.

XII. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Sci Spo Can Lit Mis His Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 40 5 26 16 40 4 16 44 182
Dan Blum 28 3 16 7 39 12 6 36 138
Pete Gayde 8 17 23 20 16 20 6 23 119
Dan Tilque 0 13 0 12 -- -- 4 20 49
Erland Sommarskog -- -- -- -- 8 4 12 4 28

--
Mark Brader | "There are no nations! There is only humanity.
Toronto | And if we don't come to understand that right