Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:53:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: ESJ, Prevost, Barou, Jadot,Chevillon, etc
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 19:53 UTC

Roast chicken, bucatini all'amatriciana, broccoli with fried shallots and olives
2013 Luisin Barbaresco Asili
No apparent oak, some tannin, light black cherry fruit, a little coffee. Somewhat stiff and unexpressive. Thought maybe needed air, but held on without developing much over couple days. B-/C+

Thursday I made a quick shrimp etouffee,served with rice and spinach.

2019 Emrich-Schonleber Mineral Riesling trocken
Tangy,zippy, lime and mineral, good match, great QPR wine. B+/A-

Friday Betsy and I met friends at Chambers(former Racines) in Tribeca. Pascaline put together an incredible list, and we did some BYO and some off list. We started with pizza bianca (I’d call sesame focaccia), then shared appetizers (sweatbreads with hakurei turnips, broiled oysters,
Beets, and a castelfranco (radicchio) salad with miso caesar dressing. I had an excellent lamb main (saddle and neck I think), also tried Betsy’s Berkshire pork loin. Finished with a nice cheese plate (others had dessert)

NV (2012) Prevost La Closerie “Les Beguines” Champagne
(off list)Brioche, pear, and floral, full and long, gets (pleasantly)caramelly with some air, ready to go. B+

2019 Arretxea “Gres” Irouleguy
(off list) Dean asked Pascaline to blind us with a saline white. I’m totally lost - it is saline,but it’s also a bit oily on palate. Rich, citrus and mineral, with a waxy note, don’t think it’s Chenin, but wondering Semillon but then she said mountain-grown (I don’t know any mountain Semillon, Nice finish, excellent with the sweetbreads ,I’m relieved it's an Irouleguy because I’ve never had an Irouleguy white. B+

2005 Chevillon Les St,. Georges Nuits St George 1er
Young, a bit tightly wound, but still some rich fruit, complex dirt and leaf aromas, will be really great. BYO but opened at restaurant, lots of sediment especially in last glass.B/B+ (A potential)

1999 Jadot Clos St Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
Double-decanted a few hours before, young, but opens nicely through evening, black cherry, coffee, forest floor. By end it’s singing, and rather elegant for Gevrey, though not lacking in power. A-

1990 Jadot Clos St Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
Also double-decanted before travel. I thought this might be roasted, but while there are soft coffee and chocolate notes,there is fresh cherryfruit as well. Some spice and beet. Really fun,fades a tad at very end. B+/A-

Very fun night

Oysters, sauteed scallops, quinoa, and tatsoi
2021 Baudry Chinon Blanc
Lovely, quince, citrus rind, dry but with sweet fruit, long. B+

The hound turned 6 earlier this month, but her birthday tea was delayed till Sunday. Beautiful fall day, Ruby’s guests included a Bernadoodle, an Aussiepoo, a hound mix, a Lab/Schnauzer mix, a miniature Goldendoodle,and a cameo by a dachshund. The humans mosty had warm cider,but I also offered:

2005 Edmunds St John Bassetti Syrah
Ruby’s personal wine. Still plenty of structure,but quite approachable. Black plums, berries, pepper and smoked meat. Lovely, holds up well through afternoon and dinner. A-

2021 Turenne Cuvee Antoine Cotes de Provence VV Blanc
Others liked this more than I did. Pear, a little grass, a lot of nuts, medium acids. B-/C+

Betsy was making chicken in red wine,garlic, and tarragon, and no way was I sacrificing the ESJ.So opened the 2021 Barou Syrah "Vernes" Vin de Pays Collines Rhodaniennes’ Solid, straightforward Syrah, black raspberry and a little garrigue, good value. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: ESJ, Prevost, Barou, Jadot,Chevillon, etc

<tjrhof$1nr8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=375&group=alt.food.wine#375

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: ESJ, Prevost, Barou, Jadot,Chevillon, etc
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:33:19 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 16:33 UTC

On 10/31/22 3:53 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Friday Betsy and I met friends at Chambers(former Racines) in Tribeca. Pascaline put together an incredible list, and we did some BYO and some off list. We started with pizza bianca (I’d call sesame focaccia), then shared appetizers (sweatbreads with hakurei turnips, broiled oysters,
> Beets, and a castelfranco (radicchio) salad with miso caesar dressing. I had an excellent lamb main (saddle and neck I think), also tried Betsy’s Berkshire pork loin. Finished with a nice cheese plate (others had dessert)

How is the new incarnation, Dale? I did make it to Racines once before
it closed. I haven't heard much at all about the new incarnation (but
it's good to hear that Pascaline is still involved)

> 2019 Arretxea “Gres” Irouleguy
> (off list) Dean asked Pascaline to blind us with a saline white. I’m totally lost - it is saline,but it’s also a bit oily on palate. Rich, citrus and mineral, with a waxy note, don’t think it’s Chenin, but wondering Semillon but then she said mountain-grown (I don’t know any mountain Semillon, Nice finish, excellent with the sweetbreads ,I’m relieved it's an Irouleguy because I’ve never had an Irouleguy white. B+

Yes, that would be an oddball to guess. Ive had a Gros Manseng from
there before, but certainly wouldn't recognize one blind.

> 2005 Chevillon Les St,. Georges Nuits St George 1er
> Young, a bit tightly wound, but still some rich fruit, complex dirt and leaf aromas, will be really great. BYO but opened at restaurant, lots of sediment especially in last glass.B/B+ (A potential)
>
> 1999 Jadot Clos St Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
> Double-decanted a few hours before, young, but opens nicely through evening, black cherry, coffee, forest floor. By end it’s singing, and rather elegant for Gevrey, though not lacking in power. A-
>
> 1990 Jadot Clos St Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
> Also double-decanted before travel. I thought this might be roasted, but while there are soft coffee and chocolate notes,there is fresh cherryfruit as well. Some spice and beet. Really fun,fades a tad at very end. B+/A-

Very nice trio of wines. Were the Jadots off the wine list there or
were they also BYO?

> The hound turned 6 earlier this month, but her birthday tea was delayed till Sunday. Beautiful fall day, Ruby’s guests included a Bernadoodle, an Aussiepoo, a hound mix, a Lab/Schnauzer mix, a miniature Goldendoodle,and a cameo by a dachshund. The humans mosty had warm cider,but I also offered:
>
> 2005 Edmunds St John Bassetti Syrah
> Ruby’s personal wine. Still plenty of structure,but quite approachable. Black plums, berries, pepper and smoked meat. Lovely, holds up well through afternoon and dinner. A-

Congrats to Ruby! I'm sure Steve would be touched by the gesture. I
opened my bottle a few years ago, also for a birthday ;-)

Thanks, as always, for the interesting notes, Dale.

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: ESJ, Prevost, Barou, Jadot,Chevillon, etc

<0dd18d3f-8e6e-4ff7-a60c-cf1442ebe693n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=376&group=alt.food.wine#376

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 10:29:01 -0800 (PST)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 18:29 UTC

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 12:33:22 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 10/31/22 3:53 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> How is the new incarnation, Dale? I did make it to Racines once before
> it closed. I haven't heard much at all about the new incarnation (but
> it's good to hear that Pascaline is still involved)

Good was great, very wine friendly, incredible list

> Very nice trio of wines. Were the Jadots off the wine list there or
> were they also BYO?

All the reds were BYO . But I'dbe happy to just order off list, fun stuff in $50-100 range. Plenty of trophies are well