(1) Everything depends. (2) Nothing is always. (3) Everything is sometimes.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFame, South Park

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South ParkMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South ParkJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South ParkDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South ParkDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South ParkPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFame, South ParkMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South Park

<qs6dnXV9h9J4SLP_nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3737&group=rec.games.trivia#3737

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South Park
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 00:43:01 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 05:43 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. A Mitt Romney aide compared his campaign to which children's toy,
sparking controversy?

2. What is the two-word nickname of a ground-beef filler that
US supermarkets are abandoning due to social media pressure?

* Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canada's Walk of Fame

Here are some questions on Canada's Walk of Fame, established in 1998.
Unlike the Hollywood Walk of Fame, fields celebrated on ours include
sports, music, dance, and the fine arts.

In all cases, name the person or group described.

1. He was born in Germany in 1944, and as a teenager immigrated
with his family to Toronto. In 1967, as lead singer, he formed
a band that was named after a Hermann Hesse novel. This band was
at the leading edge of the rebellious and psychedelic late 1960s.
Their first album spawned a major rock anthem and, along with
their hard-edged rendition of "The Pusher", highlighted the
sound track of Easy Rider. He was inducted in 2004. Name him.

2. Widely acclaimed as the most influential figure skater of the
20th century, he revolutionized men's figure skating.
Introducing artistry and freedom of movement to performance on
ice, he took figure skating to new heights and in the process
broke new ground for generations of male skaters.
He was inducted in 2003.

3. Born in Manville, Alberta, in 1919, she grew up in tiny Dauphin,
Manitoba. During World War II she became known as the
"Girlfriend to the Canadian Forces" on the CBC radio show
"Everybody's Program". She began her film career in 1983 and
acted in several David Lynch films, as well as playing Happy
Gilmour's grandmother and guest-starring as Mable Choate on
several "Seinfeld" episodes. She was inducted in 2008 and died
in 2011.

4. Born in Toronto in 1955, this standup comedian and TV host got
his start in 1978 at Yuk Yuk's. There he was billed as "a wild
and crazy borderline psychotic." His repertoire included placing
a latex glove over his head and inflating it by blowing through
his nose, the fingers of the glove extending above his head like
a cockscomb. In 1982 he started a 6-year run on the TV show
"St. Elsewhere". He was inducted in 2009.

5. Born in Montreal during the Great Depression, he was the son of
Scottish immigrants in a family with two brothers and one sister.
After a career-shortening injury, he found his place behind
the bench, where he really could work his magic. He changed
roles in 1987 by working briefly for the CBC's "Hockey Night
in Canada" as a hockey analyst before returning to coaching.
He was inducted in 2003.

6. Born in London, England, on January 15, 1946, she immigrated
to Toronto in 1955 with her parents and sister. Beloved as
one of Canada's best and most versatile ballerinas for more
than a quarter-century, she """has since proven""" equally
skilled as a writer, lecturer, director, producer, teacher,
spokesperson, administrator, and international arts ambassador.
She was inducted in 2001.

7. Over the course of a """16-year""" recording career, this
group """has racked up""" both a singular body of music and an
impressive array of career accomplishments, including """11"""
Juno awards and in excess of 6,000,000 records sold worldwide.
"""More than 30""" of their songs have reached Top 10 status
on Canadian radio. They were inducted in 2002. Name the group.

8. Born in 1972 in Winnipeg, she """has""" represented her country
at the Olympics in both speed skating and cycling, winning a
total of 6 medals. She """is""" involved with Right To Play,
which """is""" an athlete-driven international humanitarian
organization that uses sports to encourage the development of
youth in disadvantaged areas. She was inducted in 2010.

9. While the National Gallery of Canada first began collecting his
work in the 1950s, it was not until exhibitions in Hanover
(Germany) and London (England) in 1969 and 1970 that he
began to experience commercial success. Since then, his work
"""has been""" exhibited around the world, and purchased by
major galleries and private collectors. The """most recent"""
exhibition at the National Gallery of Canada in 2000 commemorated
the artist's 80th birthday. He was inducted in 2002.

10. Her presentation of daily battles, bungles, tears, and smiles
has endeared her to a loyal following in more than 2,000
newspapers in Canada, the US, and 23 other countries worldwide.
Her comic strip """is""" translated into eight other languages.
24 books """are currently""" in print, and her work """is"""
featured on television specials, videocassettes, and calendars.
She was inducted in 2003.

* Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - "South Park"

Since we have not had a "Simpsons" round this year, we thought it
was time for another one... *NOT!* Instead we'll do 10 questions
on another long-running animated show. Answers may repeat.

1. Trey Parker """is""" one of the two creators of "South Park";
who is the other?

2. Unlike "The Simpsons", "South Park" takes place in a real state,
which incidentally has a real town named South Park. Which state
is it?

3. What is the name of the "South Park" musical play on Broadway
that is coming to Toronto """next year"""?

4. What is the complete name of the 1999 "South Park" movie which
was nominated for an Oscar for best original song?

5. What are the first names of the two Canadians that """have"""
their own TV show on "South Park" and fart a lot?

6. What is Mr. Hankey, an occasional Christmas visitor?

7. What word was said 162 times in an episode after an FCC ruling
said it was allowed on the air?

8. Of the four main boys on the show, which one is Jewish?

9. Who was the voice of Chef, a cafeteria worker who was a friend
of the kids?

10. Who was the celebrity that refused to come out of Stan's closet?

--
Mark Brader | "You read war books -- people shooting each other,
Toronto | people bombing each other, people torturing each
| things to each other!" -- Ria, "Butterflies"

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South Park

<463b3db4-d699-4964-97bd-c76ff2c3f8bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3738&group=rec.games.trivia#3738

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 23:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 06:06 UTC

On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 12:43:07 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canada's Walk of Fame
>
> Here are some questions on Canada's Walk of Fame, established in 1998.
> Unlike the Hollywood Walk of Fame, fields celebrated on ours include
> sports, music, dance, and the fine arts.
>
> In all cases, name the person or group described.
>
> 1. He was born in Germany in 1944, and as a teenager immigrated
> with his family to Toronto. In 1967, as lead singer, he formed
> a band that was named after a Hermann Hesse novel. This band was
> at the leading edge of the rebellious and psychedelic late 1960s.
> Their first album spawned a major rock anthem and, along with
> their hard-edged rendition of "The Pusher", highlighted the
> sound track of Easy Rider. He was inducted in 2004. Name him.

John Kay
> 2. Widely acclaimed as the most influential figure skater of the
> 20th century, he revolutionized men's figure skating.
> Introducing artistry and freedom of movement to performance on
> ice, he took figure skating to new heights and in the process
> broke new ground for generations of male skaters.
> He was inducted in 2003.

Brian Boitano
> 4. Born in Toronto in 1955, this standup comedian and TV host got
> his start in 1978 at Yuk Yuk's. There he was billed as "a wild
> and crazy borderline psychotic." His repertoire included placing
> a latex glove over his head and inflating it by blowing through
> his nose, the fingers of the glove extending above his head like
> a cockscomb. In 1982 he started a 6-year run on the TV show
> "St. Elsewhere". He was inducted in 2009.

Howie Mandel

> 7. Over the course of a """16-year""" recording career, this
> group """has racked up""" both a singular body of music and an
> impressive array of career accomplishments, including """11"""
> Juno awards and in excess of 6,000,000 records sold worldwide.
> """More than 30""" of their songs have reached Top 10 status
> on Canadian radio. They were inducted in 2002. Name the group.

The Tragically Hip

> 10. Her presentation of daily battles, bungles, tears, and smiles
> has endeared her to a loyal following in more than 2,000
> newspapers in Canada, the US, and 23 other countries worldwide.
> Her comic strip """is""" translated into eight other languages.
> 24 books """are currently""" in print, and her work """is"""
> featured on television specials, videocassettes, and calendars.
> She was inducted in 2003.

Lynn Johnston

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - "South Park"
>
> Since we have not had a "Simpsons" round this year, we thought it
> was time for another one... *NOT!* Instead we'll do 10 questions
> on another long-running animated show. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Trey Parker """is""" one of the two creators of "South Park";
> who is the other?

Matt Stone
> 2. Unlike "The Simpsons", "South Park" takes place in a real state,
> which incidentally has a real town named South Park. Which state
> is it?

Colorado

> 3. What is the name of the "South Park" musical play on Broadway
> that is coming to Toronto """next year"""?

"The Book of Mormon" (?)

> 4. What is the complete name of the 1999 "South Park" movie which
> was nominated for an Oscar for best original song?

"South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut"

> 5. What are the first names of the two Canadians that """have"""
> their own TV show on "South Park" and fart a lot?

Terrence and Philip

> 6. What is Mr. Hankey, an occasional Christmas visitor?

"poo"

> 7. What word was said 162 times in an episode after an FCC ruling
> said it was allowed on the air?

"shit"

> 8. Of the four main boys on the show, which one is Jewish?

Kyle

> 9. Who was the voice of Chef, a cafeteria worker who was a friend
> of the kids?

Isaac Hayes

> 10. Who was the celebrity that refused to come out of Stan's closet?

Tom Cruise; R. Kelly

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South Park

<t0n6d3$6ss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3739&group=rec.games.trivia#3739

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 03:45:53 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:45 UTC

On 3/13/22 22:43, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]
>
> 9. While the National Gallery of Canada first began collecting his
> work in the 1950s, it was not until exhibitions in Hanover
> (Germany) and London (England) in 1969 and 1970 that he
> began to experience commercial success. Since then, his work
> """has been""" exhibited around the world, and purchased by
> major galleries and private collectors. The """most recent"""
> exhibition at the National Gallery of Canada in 2000 commemorated
> the artist's 80th birthday. He was inducted in 2002.
>
> 10. Her presentation of daily battles, bungles, tears, and smiles
> has endeared her to a loyal following in more than 2,000
> newspapers in Canada, the US, and 23 other countries worldwide.
> Her comic strip """is""" translated into eight other languages.
> 24 books """are currently""" in print, and her work """is"""
> featured on television specials, videocassettes, and calendars.

Lynn Johnston

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - "South Park"
>
> Since we have not had a "Simpsons" round this year, we thought it
> was time for another one... *NOT!* Instead we'll do 10 questions
> on another long-running animated show. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Trey Parker """is""" one of the two creators of "South Park";
> who is the other?
>
> 2. Unlike "The Simpsons", "South Park" takes place in a real state,
> which incidentally has a real town named South Park. Which state
> is it?

Colorado

> 3. What is the name of the "South Park" musical play on Broadway
> that is coming to Toronto """next year"""?
>
> 4. What is the complete name of the 1999 "South Park" movie which
> was nominated for an Oscar for best original song?
>
> 5. What are the first names of the two Canadians that """have"""
> their own TV show on "South Park" and fart a lot?
>
> 6. What is Mr. Hankey, an occasional Christmas visitor?
>
> 7. What word was said 162 times in an episode after an FCC ruling
> said it was allowed on the air?
>
> 8. Of the four main boys on the show, which one is Jewish?
>
> 9. Who was the voice of Chef, a cafeteria worker who was a friend
> of the kids?
>
> 10. Who was the celebrity that refused to come out of Stan's closet?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South Park

<t0otpi$ebr$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3740&group=rec.games.trivia#3740

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 02:31:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 02:31 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 1. A Mitt Romney aide compared his campaign to which children's toy,
> sparking controversy?

yo-yo

> 2. What is the two-word nickname of a ground-beef filler that
> US supermarkets are abandoning due to social media pressure?

pink slime

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canada's Walk of Fame

> 7. Over the course of a """16-year""" recording career, this
> group """has racked up""" both a singular body of music and an
> impressive array of career accomplishments, including """11"""
> Juno awards and in excess of 6,000,000 records sold worldwide.
> """More than 30""" of their songs have reached Top 10 status
> on Canadian radio. They were inducted in 2002. Name the group.

Nickelback

> 10. Her presentation of daily battles, bungles, tears, and smiles
> has endeared her to a loyal following in more than 2,000
> newspapers in Canada, the US, and 23 other countries worldwide.
> Her comic strip """is""" translated into eight other languages.
> 24 books """are currently""" in print, and her work """is"""
> featured on television specials, videocassettes, and calendars.
> She was inducted in 2003.

Lynn Johnston

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - "South Park"

> 1. Trey Parker """is""" one of the two creators of "South Park";
> who is the other?

Stone

> 6. What is Mr. Hankey, an occasional Christmas visitor?

a piece of excrement

> 8. Of the four main boys on the show, which one is Jewish?

Kyle

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South Park

<t0tqc9$2ro$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3741&group=rec.games.trivia#3741

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 18:03:38 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:03 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A Mitt Romney aide compared his campaign to which children's toy,
> sparking controversy?
>
> 2. What is the two-word nickname of a ground-beef filler that
> US supermarkets are abandoning due to social media pressure?

Pink slime

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canada's Walk of Fame
>
> Here are some questions on Canada's Walk of Fame, established in 1998.
> Unlike the Hollywood Walk of Fame, fields celebrated on ours include
> sports, music, dance, and the fine arts.
>
> In all cases, name the person or group described.
>
> 1. He was born in Germany in 1944, and as a teenager immigrated
> with his family to Toronto. In 1967, as lead singer, he formed
> a band that was named after a Hermann Hesse novel. This band was
> at the leading edge of the rebellious and psychedelic late 1960s.
> Their first album spawned a major rock anthem and, along with
> their hard-edged rendition of "The Pusher", highlighted the
> sound track of Easy Rider. He was inducted in 2004. Name him.

Joachim Krauledat (aka John Kay)

> 2. Widely acclaimed as the most influential figure skater of the
> 20th century, he revolutionized men's figure skating.
> Introducing artistry and freedom of movement to performance on
> ice, he took figure skating to new heights and in the process
> broke new ground for generations of male skaters.
> He was inducted in 2003.

Toller Cranston

> 3. Born in Manville, Alberta, in 1919, she grew up in tiny Dauphin,
> Manitoba. During World War II she became known as the
> "Girlfriend to the Canadian Forces" on the CBC radio show
> "Everybody's Program". She began her film career in 1983 and
> acted in several David Lynch films, as well as playing Happy
> Gilmour's grandmother and guest-starring as Mable Choate on
> several "Seinfeld" episodes. She was inducted in 2008 and died
> in 2011.
>
> 4. Born in Toronto in 1955, this standup comedian and TV host got
> his start in 1978 at Yuk Yuk's. There he was billed as "a wild
> and crazy borderline psychotic." His repertoire included placing
> a latex glove over his head and inflating it by blowing through
> his nose, the fingers of the glove extending above his head like
> a cockscomb. In 1982 he started a 6-year run on the TV show
> "St. Elsewhere". He was inducted in 2009.

Steve Martin

> 5. Born in Montreal during the Great Depression, he was the son of
> Scottish immigrants in a family with two brothers and one sister.
> After a career-shortening injury, he found his place behind
> the bench, where he really could work his magic. He changed
> roles in 1987 by working briefly for the CBC's "Hockey Night
> in Canada" as a hockey analyst before returning to coaching.
> He was inducted in 2003.

Don Cherry

> 6. Born in London, England, on January 15, 1946, she immigrated
> to Toronto in 1955 with her parents and sister. Beloved as
> one of Canada's best and most versatile ballerinas for more
> than a quarter-century, she """has since proven""" equally
> skilled as a writer, lecturer, director, producer, teacher,
> spokesperson, administrator, and international arts ambassador.
> She was inducted in 2001.
>
> 7. Over the course of a """16-year""" recording career, this
> group """has racked up""" both a singular body of music and an
> impressive array of career accomplishments, including """11"""
> Juno awards and in excess of 6,000,000 records sold worldwide.
> """More than 30""" of their songs have reached Top 10 status
> on Canadian radio. They were inducted in 2002. Name the group.
>
> 8. Born in 1972 in Winnipeg, she """has""" represented her country
> at the Olympics in both speed skating and cycling, winning a
> total of 6 medals. She """is""" involved with Right To Play,
> which """is""" an athlete-driven international humanitarian
> organization that uses sports to encourage the development of
> youth in disadvantaged areas. She was inducted in 2010.

Catriona Lemay Doan

> 9. While the National Gallery of Canada first began collecting his
> work in the 1950s, it was not until exhibitions in Hanover
> (Germany) and London (England) in 1969 and 1970 that he
> began to experience commercial success. Since then, his work
> """has been""" exhibited around the world, and purchased by
> major galleries and private collectors. The """most recent"""
> exhibition at the National Gallery of Canada in 2000 commemorated
> the artist's 80th birthday. He was inducted in 2002.
>
> 10. Her presentation of daily battles, bungles, tears, and smiles
> has endeared her to a loyal following in more than 2,000
> newspapers in Canada, the US, and 23 other countries worldwide.
> Her comic strip """is""" translated into eight other languages.
> 24 books """are currently""" in print, and her work """is"""
> featured on television specials, videocassettes, and calendars.
> She was inducted in 2003.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - "South Park"
>
> Since we have not had a "Simpsons" round this year, we thought it
> was time for another one... *NOT!* Instead we'll do 10 questions
> on another long-running animated show. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Trey Parker """is""" one of the two creators of "South Park";
> who is the other?
>
> 2. Unlike "The Simpsons", "South Park" takes place in a real state,
> which incidentally has a real town named South Park. Which state
> is it?

Colorado

> 3. What is the name of the "South Park" musical play on Broadway
> that is coming to Toronto """next year"""?
>
> 4. What is the complete name of the 1999 "South Park" movie which
> was nominated for an Oscar for best original song?
>
> 5. What are the first names of the two Canadians that """have"""
> their own TV show on "South Park" and fart a lot?
>
> 6. What is Mr. Hankey, an occasional Christmas visitor?

Feces

> 7. What word was said 162 times in an episode after an FCC ruling
> said it was allowed on the air?
>
> 8. Of the four main boys on the show, which one is Jewish?

Kyle

> 9. Who was the voice of Chef, a cafeteria worker who was a friend
> of the kids?

Isaac Hayes

> 10. Who was the celebrity that refused to come out of Stan's closet?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFame, South Park

<I4mdnV-kCPzSKK__nZ2dnUU7-IvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3742&group=rec.games.trivia#3742

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFame, South Park
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:13:03 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 04:13 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. A Mitt Romney aide compared his campaign to which children's toy,
> sparking controversy?

Etch-a-Sketch. (Referring to how easily its "history" is erased.)

> 2. What is the two-word nickname of a ground-beef filler that
> US supermarkets are abandoning due to social media pressure?

Pink slime. Dan Blum and Pete got this.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canada's Walk of Fame

> Here are some questions on Canada's Walk of Fame, established in 1998.
> Unlike the Hollywood Walk of Fame, fields celebrated on ours include
> sports, music, dance, and the fine arts.

> In all cases, name the person or group described.

> 1. He was born in Germany in 1944, and as a teenager immigrated
> with his family to Toronto. In 1967, as lead singer, he formed
> a band that was named after a Hermann Hesse novel. This band was
> at the leading edge of the rebellious and psychedelic late 1960s.
> Their first album spawned a major rock anthem and, along with
> their hard-edged rendition of "The Pusher", highlighted the
> sound track of Easy Rider. He was inducted in 2004. Name him.

John Kay. (Steppenwolf. Still alive.) 4 for Joshua and Pete
(the hard way).

> 2. Widely acclaimed as the most influential figure skater of the
> 20th century, he revolutionized men's figure skating.
> Introducing artistry and freedom of movement to performance on
> ice, he took figure skating to new heights and in the process
> broke new ground for generations of male skaters.

(Translation: He skated like a girl.)

> He was inducted in 2003.

Toller Cranston. (He died in 2015.) 4 for Pete.

> 3. Born in Manville, Alberta, in 1919, she grew up in tiny Dauphin,
> Manitoba. During World War II she became known as the
> "Girlfriend to the Canadian Forces" on the CBC radio show
> "Everybody's Program". She began her film career in 1983 and
> acted in several David Lynch films, as well as playing Happy
> Gilmour's grandmother and guest-starring as Mable Choate on
> several "Seinfeld" episodes. She was inducted in 2008 and died
> in 2011.

Frances Bay.

> 4. Born in Toronto in 1955, this standup comedian and TV host got
> his start in 1978 at Yuk Yuk's. There he was billed as "a wild
> and crazy borderline psychotic." His repertoire included placing
> a latex glove over his head and inflating it by blowing through
> his nose, the fingers of the glove extending above his head like
> a cockscomb. In 1982 he started a 6-year run on the TV show
> "St. Elsewhere". He was inducted in 2009.

Howie Mandel. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Born in Montreal during the Great Depression, he was the son of
> Scottish immigrants in a family with two brothers and one sister.
> After a career-shortening injury, he found his place behind
> the bench, where he really could work his magic. He changed
> roles in 1987 by working briefly for the CBC's "Hockey Night
> in Canada" as a hockey analyst before returning to coaching.
> He was inducted in 2003.

Scotty Bowman. (Still alive.)

> 6. Born in London, England, on January 15, 1946, she immigrated
> to Toronto in 1955 with her parents and sister. Beloved as
> one of Canada's best and most versatile ballerinas for more
> than a quarter-century, she """has since proven""" equally
> skilled as a writer, lecturer, director, producer, teacher,
> spokesperson, administrator, and international arts ambassador.
> She was inducted in 2001.

Veronica Tennant. (Still alive.)

> 7. Over the course of a """16-year""" recording career, this
> group """has racked up""" both a singular body of music and an
> impressive array of career accomplishments, including """11"""
> Juno awards and in excess of 6,000,000 records sold worldwide.
> """More than 30""" of their songs have reached Top 10 status
> on Canadian radio. They were inducted in 2002. Name the group.

The Tragically Hip. (Now 16 Junos. The group ended after Gord
Downie died in 2017.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Born in 1972 in Winnipeg, she """has""" represented her country
> at the Olympics in both speed skating and cycling, winning a
> total of 6 medals. She """is""" involved with Right To Play,
> which """is""" an athlete-driven international humanitarian
> organization that uses sports to encourage the development of
> youth in disadvantaged areas. She was inducted in 2010.

Clara Hughes. (Still alive and still true.)

> 9. While the National Gallery of Canada first began collecting his
> work in the 1950s, it was not until exhibitions in Hanover
> (Germany) and London (England) in 1969 and 1970 that he
> began to experience commercial success. Since then, his work
> """has been""" exhibited around the world, and purchased by
> major galleries and private collectors. The """most recent"""
> exhibition at the National Gallery of Canada in 2000 commemorated
> the artist's 80th birthday. He was inducted in 2002.

Alex Colville. (He died in 2013.)

> 10. Her presentation of daily battles, bungles, tears, and smiles
> has endeared her to a loyal following in more than 2,000
> newspapers in Canada, the US, and 23 other countries worldwide.
> Her comic strip """is""" translated into eight other languages.
> 24 books """are currently""" in print, and her work """is"""
> featured on television specials, videocassettes, and calendars.
> She was inducted in 2003.

Lynn Johnston. ("For Better or For Worse". Still alive.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

The strip ran from 1979 until 2008, and then started over from the
beginning, with some revisions in the first two years.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - "South Park"

> Since we have not had a "Simpsons" round this year, we thought it
> was time for another one... *NOT!* Instead we'll do 10 questions
> on another long-running animated show. Answers may repeat.

> 1. Trey Parker """is""" one of the two creators of "South Park";
> who is the other?

Matt Stone. (Still alive. They both are.) 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 2. Unlike "The Simpsons", "South Park" takes place in a real state,
> which incidentally has a real town named South Park. Which state
> is it?

Colorado. A "park" in this context is a land formation in the
mountains. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. What is the name of the "South Park" musical play on Broadway
> that is coming to Toronto """next year"""?

"The Book of Mormon". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. What is the complete name of the 1999 "South Park" movie which
> was nominated for an Oscar for best original song?

"South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut". 4 for Joshua.

> 5. What are the first names of the two Canadians that """have"""
> their own TV show on "South Park" and fart a lot?

Terrence and Phillip. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. What is Mr. Hankey, an occasional Christmas visitor?

Shit. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. What word was said 162 times in an episode after an FCC ruling
> said it was allowed on the air?

"Shit". 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Of the four main boys on the show, which one is Jewish?

Kyle. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Who was the voice of Chef, a cafeteria worker who was a friend
> of the kids?

Isaac Hayes. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. Who was the celebrity that refused to come out of Stan's closet?

Tom Cruise. 3 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 16 39 55
Pete Gayde 8 16 24
Dan Blum 4 12 16
Dan Tilque 4 4 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "If all is not lost,
msb@vex.net then where the heck is it?"

Click here to read the complete article