Television -- the longest amateur night in history. -- Robert Carson

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronymsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronymsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronymsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronymsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronymsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronymsPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: drummers, science acronymsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms

<f6WdnfgCsrqpNqv_nZ2dnUU7-R_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3750&group=rec.games.trivia#3750

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:19:00 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 04:19 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Drummers

Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/09-07/drummer.pdf
(There are 3 pages.)

Drummers usually aren't the most recognizable musicians, because
they spend the whole concert behind their drum kit. However,
these guys are pretty recognizable. For questions #1-6, we give
you the drummer's name, you give us the picture number.

1. Neil Peart.
2. Nick Mason.
3. Keith Moon.
4. Dave Grohl.
5. Lars Ulrich.
6. Larry Mullen Jr.

After completing the above, please decode the rot13 to see the
picture numbers for questions #7-10, in which you must name the
drummer.

7. Cubgb ahzore frira.
8. Gur avagu cvpgher.
9. Guvf bar vf gur frpbaq cubgb.
10. Cvpgher ahzore ryrira.

And there were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 to see the names and
give the picture numbers if you want for fun, but for no points.

11. Trar Xehcn.
12. Ohqql Zvyrf.
13. Tvatre Onxre.
14. Znk Jvaroret.
15. Avxxb ZpOenva.
16. Zvpx Syrrgjbbq.
17. Nyrk Ina Unyra.
18. Fgrjneg Pbcrynaq.

* Game 9, Round 8 - Science - Scientific Acronyms

We give you the acronym and a description, and you give us the
long name of the thing. Exact answers required.

1. PVC: A type of plastic.
2. NSAID: A class of drugs.
3. ACL: A body part commonly injured by athletes.
4. PDF: A file type associated with Adobe Acrobat software.
5. BMI: A numerical computation regarding height and weight.
6. ADHD: A developmental condition affecting children and adults.

7. PDA: A device such as a Palm Pilot, or now typically a
smartphone.

8. PSA: A protein that helps to identify a certain type of cancer
in a widely used test.

9. HPV: in a minority of cases it can lead to cancers of the cervix,
vulva, vagina, and anus.

10. BBS: A sort of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate
in the (real or imaginary) presence of others.

--
Mark Brader | "To a guy, an RGB value is three bits rather than bytes.
Toronto | ...000 Black, 001 Blue, 010 Green, ..., 111 White."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms

<cf762a72-1061-4b42-b336-41ff6cd312ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3751&group=rec.games.trivia#3751

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 06:18 UTC

#5; #10

#18; #9

#17; #12

#12; #8

#8; #15

> After completing the above, please decode the rot13 to see the
> picture numbers for questions #7-10, in which you must name the
> drummer.
>
> 7. Cubgb ahzore frira.

Lewis

> 8. Gur avagu cvpgher.

Watts

#3. (Make that Znk Jrvaoret.)

> 16. Zvpx Syrrgjbbq.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Science - Scientific Acronyms
>
> We give you the acronym and a description, and you give us the
> long name of the thing. Exact answers required.
>
> 1. PVC: A type of plastic.

polyvinyl chloride

> 2. NSAID: A class of drugs.

non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug

> 3. ACL: A body part commonly injured by athletes.

anterior cruciate ligament

> 4. PDF: A file type associated with Adobe Acrobat software.

portable document format

> 5. BMI: A numerical computation regarding height and weight.

body mass index
> 6. ADHD: A developmental condition affecting children and adults.

attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

> 7. PDA: A device such as a Palm Pilot, or now typically a
> smartphone.

personal digital assistant

> 8. PSA: A protein that helps to identify a certain type of cancer
> in a widely used test.

prostate sensitivity antigen

> 9. HPV: in a minority of cases it can lead to cancers of the cervix,
> vulva, vagina, and anus.

human papilloma virus

> 10. BBS: A sort of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate
> in the (real or imaginary) presence of others.

bashful bladder syndrome

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms

<XnsAE60737373550Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3753&group=rec.games.trivia#3753

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:20:57 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:20 UTC

6

> 2. Nick Mason.

18

1

> 4. Dave Grohl.

14

> 5. Lars Ulrich.

12

8

> After completing the above, please decode the rot13 to see the
> picture numbers for questions #7-10, in which you must name the
> drummer.
>
> 7. Cubgb ahzore frira.

Art Blakey

> 8. Gur avagu cvpgher.

Ringo Starr

> 9. Guvf bar vf gur frpbaq cubgb.

Ginger Baker

> 10. Cvpgher ahzore ryrira.

Phil Collins

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Science - Scientific Acronyms
>
> We give you the acronym and a description, and you give us the
> long name of the thing. Exact answers required.
>
> 1. PVC: A type of plastic.

Polyvinylchloride

> 4. PDF: A file type associated with Adobe Acrobat software.

Portable Document Format

> 5. BMI: A numerical computation regarding height and weight.

Body Mass Index

> 9. HPV: in a minority of cases it can lead to cancers of the cervix,
> vulva, vagina, and anus.

Human Papilom Virus

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms

<t17b96$op2$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3754&group=rec.games.trivia#3754

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:47:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:47 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Drummers

> 1. Neil Peart.

6; 10

> 2. Nick Mason.

1; 2

> 3. Keith Moon.

18

> 4. Dave Grohl.

17

> 5. Lars Ulrich.

4; 13

> 6. Larry Mullen Jr.

8; 9

> 7. Cubgb ahzore frira.

Buddy Rich

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Science - Scientific Acronyms

> 1. PVC: A type of plastic.

polyvinyl chloride

> 2. NSAID: A class of drugs.

non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug

> 3. ACL: A body part commonly injured by athletes.

anterior cruciate ligament

> 4. PDF: A file type associated with Adobe Acrobat software.

portable document format

> 5. BMI: A numerical computation regarding height and weight.

body mass index

> 6. ADHD: A developmental condition affecting children and adults.

attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

> 7. PDA: A device such as a Palm Pilot, or now typically a
> smartphone.

personal digital assistant

> 8. PSA: A protein that helps to identify a certain type of cancer
> in a widely used test.

prostate specific antigen

> 9. HPV: in a minority of cases it can lead to cancers of the cervix,
> vulva, vagina, and anus.

herpes papilloma virus

> 10. BBS: A sort of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate
> in the (real or imaginary) presence of others.

bashful bladder syndrome

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms

<t194b3$v46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3756&group=rec.games.trivia#3756

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:01:05 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 06:01 UTC

On 3/19/22 21:19, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Drummers
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/09-07/drummer.pdf
> (There are 3 pages.)
>
> Drummers usually aren't the most recognizable musicians, because
> they spend the whole concert behind their drum kit. However,
> these guys are pretty recognizable. For questions #1-6, we give
> you the drummer's name, you give us the picture number.
>
> 1. Neil Peart.
> 2. Nick Mason.
> 3. Keith Moon.
> 4. Dave Grohl.
> 5. Lars Ulrich.
> 6. Larry Mullen Jr.
>
> After completing the above, please decode the rot13 to see the
> picture numbers for questions #7-10, in which you must name the
> drummer.
>
> 7. Cubgb ahzore frira.
> 8. Gur avagu cvpgher.
> 9. Guvf bar vf gur frpbaq cubgb.
> 10. Cvpgher ahzore ryrira.
>
> And there were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 to see the names and
> give the picture numbers if you want for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Trar Xehcn.
> 12. Ohqql Zvyrf.
> 13. Tvatre Onxre.
> 14. Znk Jvaroret.
> 15. Avxxb ZpOenva.
> 16. Zvpx Syrrgjbbq.
> 17. Nyrk Ina Unyra.
> 18. Fgrjneg Pbcrynaq.
>

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Science - Scientific Acronyms
>
> We give you the acronym and a description, and you give us the
> long name of the thing. Exact answers required.
>
> 1. PVC: A type of plastic.

PolyVinyl Chloride

> 2. NSAID: A class of drugs.

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug

> 3. ACL: A body part commonly injured by athletes.

Anterior Cruciate Ligament

> 4. PDF: A file type associated with Adobe Acrobat software.
> 5. BMI: A numerical computation regarding height and weight.

Body Mass Index

> 6. ADHD: A developmental condition affecting children and adults.

Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

> 7. PDA: A device such as a Palm Pilot, or now typically a
> smartphone.

Personal Digital Assistant

(I suppose Public Display of Affection is not quite right :)

> 8. PSA: A protein that helps to identify a certain type of cancer
> in a widely used test.
>
> 9. HPV: in a minority of cases it can lead to cancers of the cervix,
> vulva, vagina, and anus.

Human PapillomaVirus

> 10. BBS: A sort of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate
> in the (real or imaginary) presence of others.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: drummers, science acronyms

<t19vpn$kkh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3757&group=rec.games.trivia#3757

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 08:49:42 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:49 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Drummers
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/09-07/drummer.pdf
> (There are 3 pages.)
>
> Drummers usually aren't the most recognizable musicians, because
> they spend the whole concert behind their drum kit. However,
> these guys are pretty recognizable. For questions #1-6, we give
> you the drummer's name, you give us the picture number.
>
> 1. Neil Peart.

6; 15

> 2. Nick Mason.

18; 2

5

> 4. Dave Grohl.

17

> 5. Lars Ulrich.

12

> 6. Larry Mullen Jr.

16

> After completing the above, please decode the rot13 to see the
> picture numbers for questions #7-10, in which you must name the
> drummer.
>
> 7. Cubgb ahzore frira.

Buddy Rich

> 8. Gur avagu cvpgher.

Watts

> 9. Guvf bar vf gur frpbaq cubgb.

Bonham

> 10. Cvpgher ahzore ryrira.
>
> And there were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 to see the names and
> give the picture numbers if you want for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Trar Xehcn.

14

> 12. Ohqql Zvyrf.

16

1

3

> 15. Avxxb ZpOenva.
> 16. Zvpx Syrrgjbbq.

10

> 17. Nyrk Ina Unyra.
> 18. Fgrjneg Pbcrynaq.

13

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Science - Scientific Acronyms
>
> We give you the acronym and a description, and you give us the
> long name of the thing. Exact answers required.
>
> 1. PVC: A type of plastic.

Polyvinyl Chloride

> 2. NSAID: A class of drugs.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug

> 3. ACL: A body part commonly injured by athletes.

Anterior Cruciate Ligament

> 4. PDF: A file type associated with Adobe Acrobat software.
> 5. BMI: A numerical computation regarding height and weight.

Body mass index

> 6. ADHD: A developmental condition affecting children and adults.

Attention Deficit Disease

> 7. PDA: A device such as a Palm Pilot, or now typically a
> smartphone.

Personal Digital Assistant

> 8. PSA: A protein that helps to identify a certain type of cancer
> in a widely used test.

Prostate Specific Antigen

> 9. HPV: in a minority of cases it can lead to cancers of the cervix,
> vulva, vagina, and anus.

Human Pappilloma Virus

> 10. BBS: A sort of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate
> in the (real or imaginary) presence of others.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: drummers, science acronyms

<f6-dndEx9eHXO6f_nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3758&group=rec.games.trivia#3758

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: drummers, science acronyms
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:47:06 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 04:47 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

First, the questions based on "Jeopardy!"'s round on successors,
which I asked when posting the answers to the last QFTCI set.
Erland and Dan Tilque tried these and they both got all of them right.

> $600. Hubert H. Humphrey, as US Vice-President (in 1969).

Spiro Agnew.

> $800. Milton Obote, as President of Uganda (in 1971).

Idi Amin.

> $200. René Coty, as President of France (in 1959).

Charles de Gaulle.

> $400. King William IV (in 1837).

Queen Victoria, as monarch of the UK.

> $1,000. Yoshihito (in 1926).

Hirohito, as Emperor of Japan.

#6. 4 for Joshua and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum and Pete.

#18. 4 for Erland. 3 for Pete.

#5. 4 for Pete.

#17. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

#12. 4 for Erland and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

#8. 4 for Erland. 3 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> After completing the above, please decode the rot13 to see the
> picture numbers for questions #7-10, in which you must name the
> drummer.

> 7. Photo number seven.

Buddy Rich. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 8. The ninth picture.

Charlie Watts. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 9. This one is the second photo.

John Bonham. 4 for Pete.

> 10. Picture number eleven.

Levon Helm.

#14. Pete got this.

#16. Pete got this.

#1. Pete got this.

#3. Joshua and Pete got this.

#4.

#10. Joshua and Pete got this.

#15.

#13. Pete got this.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Science - Scientific Acronyms

> We give you the acronym and a description, and you give us the
> long name of the thing. Exact answers required.

This was the second-easiest round in the original game, after
current events.

I allowed "almost correct" only if a word was present but badly
misspelled.

> 1. PVC: A type of plastic.

PolyVinyl Chloride. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. NSAID: A class of drugs.

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. ACL: A body part commonly injured by athletes.

Anterior Cruciate Ligament. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 4. PDF: A file type associated with Adobe Acrobat software.

Portable Document Format. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 5. BMI: A numerical computation regarding height and weight.

Body Mass Index. 4 for everyone.

> 6. ADHD: A developmental condition affecting children and adults.

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. PDA: A device such as a Palm Pilot, or now typically a
> smartphone.

Personal Digital Assistant. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 8. PSA: A protein that helps to identify a certain type of cancer
> in a widely used test.

Prostate-Specific Antigen. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 9. HPV: in a minority of cases it can lead to cancers of the cervix,
> vulva, vagina, and anus.

Human Papilloma Virus. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Erland.

> 10. BBS: A sort of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate
> in the (real or imaginary) presence of others.

Bashful Bladder Syndrome. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent His Spo Mis Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 16 39 16 32 17 36 124
Pete Gayde 8 16 16 40 30 28 114
Dan Blum 4 12 16 20 14 36 86
Dan Tilque 4 4 12 20 0 28 64
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 20 0 16 15 51

--
Mark Brader | "Perl is a minimalist language at heart.
Toronto | It's just minimalistic about weird things