From: bks...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Subject: The Confused Fascism Of Louisiana Republicans
Date: 3 Apr 2024 13:32:48 -0000
 by: Bradley K. Sherman - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 13:32 UTC

| Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry posted a tweet the morning after
| LSU's 94-87 loss to Iowa calling for the Louisiana Board of
| Regents to create a policy mandating that student-athletes
| be present for a pregame national anthem or risk losing
| their scholarships.
| The governor's request was met with overall befuddlement
| from LSU and its administrators. Jimmy Clarke, the
| University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors chair,
| told the Louisiana Illuminator, "I see some difficulties in
| trying to enforce something like that," while the state's
| commissioner of higher education, Kim Hunter Reed, noted
| that the board of regents plays no role in decisions about
| scholarships.
|
| Meanwhile, an LSU spokesperson pointed out in a statement
| that both the men's and women's basketball teams have
| stayed in the locker room during the national anthem for a
| long time, preparing for the game instead:
<https://sports.yahoo.com/louisiana-gov-jeff-landry-threatens-scholarships-after-lsu-players-miss-national-anthem-before-iowa-loss-225624196.html>

--bks

Re: The Confused Fascism Of Louisiana Republicans

<XnsB14983E25A4E4noemailcomcastnet@69.80.102.21>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37946&group=alt.politics#37946

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: noem...@verizon.net (Mitchell Holman)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 17:55:57 +0000
 by: Mitchell Holman - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 17:55 UTC

bks@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote in

> | Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry posted a tweet the morning after
> | LSU's 94-87 loss to Iowa calling for the Louisiana Board of
> | Regents to create a policy mandating that student-athletes
> | be present for a pregame national anthem or risk losing
> | their scholarships.
> | The governor's request was met with overall befuddlement
> | from LSU and its administrators. Jimmy Clarke, the
> | University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors chair,
> | told the Louisiana Illuminator, "I see some difficulties in
> | trying to enforce something like that," while the state's
> | commissioner of higher education, Kim Hunter Reed, noted
> | that the board of regents plays no role in decisions about
> | scholarships.
> |
> | Meanwhile, an LSU spokesperson pointed out in a statement
> | that both the men's and women's basketball teams have
> | stayed in the locker room during the national anthem for a
> | long time, preparing for the game instead:
> <https://sports.yahoo.com/louisiana-gov-jeff-landry-threatens-scholarsh
> ips-after-lsu-players-miss-national-anthem-before-iowa-loss-225624196.h
> tml>
>
> --bks

The rightwing fixation on the national
anthem amazes me. For most of US history
the anthem didn't even EXIST, yet now it
(and the pldege of allegiance) is treated
as a Holy Mantra that must be recited by
all everywhere or the Empire will fall.