Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 13:28:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: Decanting embarassment, Chianti, 2 Rhones, 1 Provencal white
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 21:28 UTC

A friend’s birthday, we joined them and another couple for dinner at Harpers on Main (initially a surprise,but Ron can’t keep secrets).. I started with pork croquetas, good but I was jealous of Betsy’s incredible oyster stew.Ijust had a good burger, but also nibbled at Betsy’s short ribs.

So I thought I’d bring a nice bottle along. I decanted the 1989 La Fleur de Gay (Pomerol) for sediment (lots of sludge). Sniffed when in decanter, then again as getting ready to put back in bottle- wait, was that wet cardboard? No, I think it’s ok. WRONG! When I poured at restaurant it was clearly corked. Embarrassing (that I double decanted and didn’t catch), I’ll open another bottle for them soon.

2005 Clos du Mont Olivet Chateauneuf du Pape
Raspberry, cherry, and black olives,comes across a little hot, but there’s some nice stuff here,though it feels like maybe not much time left. With some air the light smoke note gets more sooty, and it begins to feel like cracking up a bit. B for start, B-/C+ for last glass.
2015 Coursodon Salice St Joseph
New producer to me.Blackberries, black pepper, some herb/wildgrass. Moderate acids, moderate tannins, this is nice but a little awkward at moment, I’d give another 5-8 years B for drinking now, room for upside.

Betsy poached fresh tuna in a puttanesca-esque sauce, then served over pasta with a side.

Cooking wine was the 2021 Turenne "Antoine" Cotes de Provence VV
Quite the value ($15). A little grassy note, but mostly citrus, apple, hints of nuts and fennel seed. Tangy, mineral, will buy again. B+/B

2018 Montesecondo Chianti Classico
Black cherry, dried cranberry, leather. Balanced long and fun. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.