They can't stop us... we're on a mission from God! -- The Blues Brothers

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: What's the difference?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: What's the difference?Steve Hayes
+* Re: What's the difference?Ken Blake
|`- Re: What's the difference?J. J. Lodder
`* Re: What's the difference?J. J. Lodder
 `- Re: What's the difference?wugi

1
Re: What's the difference?

<svvl0p$f3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3801&group=alt.english.usage#3801

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: What's the difference?
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:28:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:28 UTC

On Thu, 03 Mar 2022 03:06:17 +0000, musika wrote:

>> This makes me wonder why both spellings exist. Is is just a matter of
>> the names being transcribed differently at some time in the past, or
>> has the "berg" and "burg" some meaning that I'm not aware of? There
>> are other names that end with either "berg" or "burg".
>>
> In German a Berg is a mountain and a Burg is a fortress.

And burg is also linked etymologically to Scottish "burgh" and English
"borough".

I used to go to school at Magaliesberg (the mountain range) a few miles
from Magaliesburg (the village),

I don't know about German or Dutch, but in Afrikaans they are pronounced
different, though ub English the pronunciation is the same.

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: What's the difference?

<0e372hphmq7dpfj06nkj20vsalkagohc4q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3811&group=alt.english.usage#3811

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 09:21:42 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 16:21 UTC

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:28:09 -0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
<hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Mar 2022 03:06:17 +0000, musika wrote:
>
>>> This makes me wonder why both spellings exist. Is is just a matter of
>>> the names being transcribed differently at some time in the past, or
>>> has the "berg" and "burg" some meaning that I'm not aware of? There
>>> are other names that end with either "berg" or "burg".
>>>
>> In German a Berg is a mountain and a Burg is a fortress.
>
>And burg is also linked etymologically to Scottish "burgh" and English
>"borough".
>
>I used to go to school at Magaliesberg (the mountain range) a few miles
>from Magaliesburg (the village),

That makes we wonder whether there has ever been a village named
something like "Magaliesbergburg."

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: What's the difference?

<1pocnyn.kjrjlskbgwb6N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3813&group=alt.english.usage#3813

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 18:25:11 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 17:25 UTC

Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2022 03:06:17 +0000, musika wrote:
>
> >> This makes me wonder why both spellings exist. Is is just a matter of
> >> the names being transcribed differently at some time in the past, or
> >> has the "berg" and "burg" some meaning that I'm not aware of? There
> >> are other names that end with either "berg" or "burg".
> >>
> > In German a Berg is a mountain and a Burg is a fortress.
>
> And burg is also linked etymologically to Scottish "burgh" and English
> "borough".
>
> I used to go to school at Magaliesberg (the mountain range) a few miles
> from Magaliesburg (the village),
>
> I don't know about German or Dutch, but in Afrikaans they are pronounced
> different, though ub English the pronunciation is the same.

Of course they are different in Dutch.
It is Afrikaans that is worn down,
not Dutch,

Jan

Re: What's the difference?

<1pocwk2.1gkykc81b088q5N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3814&group=alt.english.usage#3814

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 21:25:09 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 20:25 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:28:09 -0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
> <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> >> In German a Berg is a mountain and a Burg is a fortress.
> >
> >And burg is also linked etymologically to Scottish "burgh" and English
> >"borough".
> >
> >I used to go to school at Magaliesberg (the mountain range) a few miles
> >from Magaliesburg (the village),
>

> That makes we wonder whether there has ever been a village named
> something like "Magaliesbergburg."

A Dutch name could have been Magaliesburg ten Berg,

Jan

Re: What's the difference?

<t00nsp$18b3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3815&group=alt.english.usage#3815

From: wug...@scrlt.com (wugi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 23:23:22 +0100
 by: wugi - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 22:23 UTC

Op 5/03/2022 om 18:25 schreef J. J. Lodder:
> Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>> In German a Berg is a mountain and a Burg is a fortress.
>>
>> And burg is also linked etymologically to Scottish "burgh" and English
>> "borough".
>>
>> I used to go to school at Magaliesberg (the mountain range) a few miles
>> from Magaliesburg (the village),
>>
>> I don't know about German or Dutch, but in Afrikaans they are pronounced
>> different, though ub English the pronunciation is the same.
>
> Of course they are different in Dutch.
> It is Afrikaans that is worn down,

Read better, that's not what was said.

--