Don't abandon hope: your Tom Mix decoder ring arrives tomorrow.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, scienceMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, scienceErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, scienceDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, scienceswp
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, scienceJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, sciencePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, scienceDan Blum
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: arts&lit, scienceMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

<IYqdnQX74bbytsz_nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3802&group=rec.games.trivia#3802

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 01:45:03 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 06:45 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. More Masters controversy. The CEO of this corporation is given
a membership at Augusta National Golf Club. The problem with
that is, their new CEO is (gasp) a woman! What company?

2. Which US politician got pranked to do a speech before an empty
house on April Fools Day?

3. What major US metropolis was hit by a series of tornadoes last
Wednesday, grounding more than 400 flights at one of the busiest
US airports?

** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature

* Cormac McCarthy

1. What is the collective name given to these three McCarthy novels?
"All the Pretty Horses", "The Crossing", "Cities of the Plain".

2. This is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and
his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape
blasted by an unspecified cataclysm. Name this novel that won
the 2007 Pulitzer Prize.

3. In McCarthy's novel "No Country for Old Men", what is the name
of the main antagonist, a sociopathic hitman? He was portrayed
by Javier Bardem in the movie adaptation.

* Word Origins

4. First used in the context of folklore in 1885, what term
describes a god/spirit/animal who disobeys normal rules and tries
to survive the dangers of the world using deceit? Examples:
Bugs Bunny, "the Tramp" (Charlie Chaplin), Pippi Longstocking.

5. What word, derived from German, describes a form of art that
is a tasteless copy of an extant style of art?

6. What word that means "cheap" or "gaudy" is derived from the
practice of trinkets sold at St. Audrey's Fair in England?

* Artists

7. Which Italian painter's name literally translates to "Little
Barrel"? His work has been seen to represent the linear grace
of Early Renaissance painting. Who is he?

8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?

9. The 1633 painting, "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee", that
depicted the miracle of Jesus calming the waves was stolen
in 1990 from a Boston museum in what was considered to be the
biggest art theft in history. This painting is the only known
seascape by which great artist?

* Last Lines from Novels

In each case, name the novel whose last line is being given.

10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
to say which was which."

11. "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize
me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

12. "Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all,
tomorrow is another day."

* Google Doodles

In each case, name the *writer* being commemorated.

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/15.jpg

** Final, Round 3 - Science

* Clouds

In each case, name the type of cloud shown. You must use the
latinate scientific name.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

* Butterflies of Southern Ontario

In each case, name the butterfly. *Note*: in one or more cases
two words are required, i.e., be sufficiently specific.

4. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/4.jpg>
can be found in Southern Ontario and is named for the large
chestnut-shaped circles on its wings.

5. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/5.jpg>
mimics the Monarch's pattern (except for a black horizontal
stripe that crosses the bottom of its back wings) and fools
birds and other predators into thinking they have the same
bitter taste.

6. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/6.jpg>
is one of the best-known butterflies in this country because
of its size and distinctive pattern. The yellow background
with wide black stripes catches the attention of even the most
casual observer. The underside is yellow, often with extensive
overscaling of orange, and black.

* Semi-Precious Gems

In each case, name the semi-precious stone shown.

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/7.jpg
8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/8.jpg
9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/9.jpg

* Canadian Extreme Weather

10. The deadliest tornado """ever""" in Canadian history hit on
1912-06-30, killing 28 people and damaging or destroying about
500 buildings. At the time it was referred to as a cyclone.
What Canadian city did the tornado strike?

11. Trailer parks are particularly susceptible to the destructive
forces of a tornado. 15 people in the Evergreen Trailer Park
in this Canadian city were killed when a tornado swept through
the eastern part of the city on 1987-07-31. What city?

12. In July of 1996, after two weeks of heavy rains, this Quebec
river experienced one of the worst floods in Canadian history.
A small white house that stood unharmed while torrents of water
flowed around it became the symbol of the flood. What river?

* Books by Scientists

13. Who wrote "The Cosmic Connection"?

14. Who wrote "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male"?

15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
(Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

--
Mark Brader "Although I have not seen any mention of SoftQuad
Toronto or HoTMetaL in the magazine, it is certainly

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

<XnsAE7470B902573Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3804&group=rec.games.trivia#3804

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 11:04:51 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 09:04 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> 1. More Masters controversy. The CEO of this corporation is given
> a membership at Augusta National Golf Club. The problem with
> that is, their new CEO is (gasp) a woman! What company?

Hewlett-Packard
> ** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Artists
>
> 8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
> sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?

Vermeer
> 9. The 1633 painting, "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee", that
> depicted the miracle of Jesus calming the waves was stolen
> in 1990 from a Boston museum in what was considered to be the
> biggest art theft in history. This painting is the only known
> seascape by which great artist?

Rembrandt van Rijn
> * Last Lines from Novels
>
> In each case, name the novel whose last line is being given.
>
> 10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
> to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
> to say which was which."

Aninmal Farm
> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Clouds
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg

Cumulus

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

Cirrus

> 15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
> (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

Newton

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

<t2rjcf$fl7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3805&group=rec.games.trivia#3805

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 02:24:28 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 09:24 UTC

On 4/8/22 23:45, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. More Masters controversy. The CEO of this corporation is given
> a membership at Augusta National Golf Club. The problem with
> that is, their new CEO is (gasp) a woman! What company?
>
> 2. Which US politician got pranked to do a speech before an empty
> house on April Fools Day?
>
> 3. What major US metropolis was hit by a series of tornadoes last
> Wednesday, grounding more than 400 flights at one of the busiest
> US airports?
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Cormac McCarthy
>
> 1. What is the collective name given to these three McCarthy novels?
> "All the Pretty Horses", "The Crossing", "Cities of the Plain".
>
> 2. This is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and
> his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape
> blasted by an unspecified cataclysm. Name this novel that won
> the 2007 Pulitzer Prize.
>
> 3. In McCarthy's novel "No Country for Old Men", what is the name
> of the main antagonist, a sociopathic hitman? He was portrayed
> by Javier Bardem in the movie adaptation.
>

> * Word Origins
>
> 4. First used in the context of folklore in 1885, what term
> describes a god/spirit/animal who disobeys normal rules and tries
> to survive the dangers of the world using deceit? Examples:
> Bugs Bunny, "the Tramp" (Charlie Chaplin), Pippi Longstocking.
>
> 5. What word, derived from German, describes a form of art that
> is a tasteless copy of an extant style of art?
>
> 6. What word that means "cheap" or "gaudy" is derived from the
> practice of trinkets sold at St. Audrey's Fair in England?

tawdry

> * Artists
>
> 7. Which Italian painter's name literally translates to "Little
> Barrel"? His work has been seen to represent the linear grace
> of Early Renaissance painting. Who is he?
>
> 8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
> sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?
>
> 9. The 1633 painting, "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee", that
> depicted the miracle of Jesus calming the waves was stolen
> in 1990 from a Boston museum in what was considered to be the
> biggest art theft in history. This painting is the only known
> seascape by which great artist?
>

> * Last Lines from Novels
>
> In each case, name the novel whose last line is being given.
>
> 10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
> to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
> to say which was which."

Animal Farm

> 11. "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
> the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize
> me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

> 12. "Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all,
> tomorrow is another day."

Gone with the Wind

> * Google Doodles
>
> In each case, name the *writer* being commemorated.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/15.jpg
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Clouds
>
> In each case, name the type of cloud shown. You must use the
> latinate scientific name.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg

cumulus

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/2.jpg

cumulo-nimbus

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

cirrus

> * Butterflies of Southern Ontario
>
> In each case, name the butterfly. *Note*: in one or more cases
> two words are required, i.e., be sufficiently specific.
>
> 4. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/4.jpg>
> can be found in Southern Ontario and is named for the large
> chestnut-shaped circles on its wings.
>
> 5. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/5.jpg>
> mimics the Monarch's pattern (except for a black horizontal
> stripe that crosses the bottom of its back wings) and fools
> birds and other predators into thinking they have the same
> bitter taste.
>
> 6. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/6.jpg>
> is one of the best-known butterflies in this country because
> of its size and distinctive pattern. The yellow background
> with wide black stripes catches the attention of even the most
> casual observer. The underside is yellow, often with extensive
> overscaling of orange, and black.
>

> * Semi-Precious Gems
>
> In each case, name the semi-precious stone shown.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/7.jpg
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/8.jpg
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/9.jpg

opal

> * Canadian Extreme Weather
>
> 10. The deadliest tornado """ever""" in Canadian history hit on
> 1912-06-30, killing 28 people and damaging or destroying about
> 500 buildings. At the time it was referred to as a cyclone.
> What Canadian city did the tornado strike?
>
> 11. Trailer parks are particularly susceptible to the destructive
> forces of a tornado. 15 people in the Evergreen Trailer Park
> in this Canadian city were killed when a tornado swept through
> the eastern part of the city on 1987-07-31. What city?
>
> 12. In July of 1996, after two weeks of heavy rains, this Quebec
> river experienced one of the worst floods in Canadian history.
> A small white house that stood unharmed while torrents of water
> flowed around it became the symbol of the flood. What river?
>

> * Books by Scientists
>
> 13. Who wrote "The Cosmic Connection"?

Sagan

> 14. Who wrote "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male"?

Masters and Johnson

> 15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
> (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

Newton

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

<4eb1c245-0d5b-4cb0-a5af-a5350013e3a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3806&group=rec.games.trivia#3806

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:10:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 14:10 UTC

On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 2:45:09 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. More Masters controversy. The CEO of this corporation is given
> a membership at Augusta National Golf Club. The problem with
> that is, their new CEO is (gasp) a woman! What company?
>
> 2. Which US politician got pranked to do a speech before an empty
> house on April Fools Day?
>
> 3. What major US metropolis was hit by a series of tornadoes last
> Wednesday, grounding more than 400 flights at one of the busiest
> US airports?
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Cormac McCarthy
>
> 1. What is the collective name given to these three McCarthy novels?
> "All the Pretty Horses", "The Crossing", "Cities of the Plain".

border trilogy

> 2. This is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and
> his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape
> blasted by an unspecified cataclysm. Name this novel that won
> the 2007 Pulitzer Prize.

the road

> 3. In McCarthy's novel "No Country for Old Men", what is the name
> of the main antagonist, a sociopathic hitman? He was portrayed
> by Javier Bardem in the movie adaptation.

anton chigurh (friendo)

> * Word Origins
>
> 4. First used in the context of folklore in 1885, what term
> describes a god/spirit/animal who disobeys normal rules and tries
> to survive the dangers of the world using deceit? Examples:
> Bugs Bunny, "the Tramp" (Charlie Chaplin), Pippi Longstocking.

trickster

> 5. What word, derived from German, describes a form of art that
> is a tasteless copy of an extant style of art?

kitsch

> 6. What word that means "cheap" or "gaudy" is derived from the
> practice of trinkets sold at St. Audrey's Fair in England?

tawdry

> * Artists
>
> 7. Which Italian painter's name literally translates to "Little
> Barrel"? His work has been seen to represent the linear grace
> of Early Renaissance painting. Who is he?

botticelli

> 8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
> sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?

vermeer

> 9. The 1633 painting, "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee", that
> depicted the miracle of Jesus calming the waves was stolen
> in 1990 from a Boston museum in what was considered to be the
> biggest art theft in history. This painting is the only known
> seascape by which great artist?

rembrandt van rijn

> * Last Lines from Novels
>
> In each case, name the novel whose last line is being given.
>
> 10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
> to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
> to say which was which."

animal farm

> 11. "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
> the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize
> me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

the adventures of huckleberry finn

> 12. "Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all,
> tomorrow is another day."

gone with the wind

> * Google Doodles
>
> In each case, name the *writer* being commemorated.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/13.jpg

alcott

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/14.jpg

poe

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/15.jpg

dickens

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Clouds
>
> In each case, name the type of cloud shown. You must use the
> latinate scientific name.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg

cumulous
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/2.jpg

cumulonimbus
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

cirrus

> * Butterflies of Southern Ontario
>
> In each case, name the butterfly. *Note*: in one or more cases
> two words are required, i.e., be sufficiently specific.
>
> 4. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/4.jpg>
> can be found in Southern Ontario and is named for the large
> chestnut-shaped circles on its wings.

buckeye butterfly

> 5. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/5.jpg>
> mimics the Monarch's pattern (except for a black horizontal
> stripe that crosses the bottom of its back wings) and fools
> birds and other predators into thinking they have the same
> bitter taste.

viceroy [not monarch, I remember the great image search more than this round]

> 6. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/6.jpg>
> is one of the best-known butterflies in this country because
> of its size and distinctive pattern. The yellow background
> with wide black stripes catches the attention of even the most
> casual observer. The underside is yellow, often with extensive
> over scaling of orange, and black.

tiger swallowtail

> * Semi-Precious Gems
>
> In each case, name the semi-precious stone shown.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/7.jpg

unikite? ; ammolite?
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/8.jpg

peridot
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/9.jpg

tanzanite

> * Canadian Extreme Weather
>
> 10. The deadliest tornado """ever""" in Canadian history hit on
> 1912-06-30, killing 28 people and damaging or destroying about
> 500 buildings. At the time it was referred to as a cyclone.
> What Canadian city did the tornado strike?

regina

> 11. Trailer parks are particularly susceptible to the destructive
> forces of a tornado. 15 people in the Evergreen Trailer Park
> in this Canadian city were killed when a tornado swept through
> the eastern part of the city on 1987-07-31. What city?

edmnton

> 12. In July of 1996, after two weeks of heavy rains, this Quebec
> river experienced one of the worst floods in Canadian history.
> A small white house that stood unharmed while torrents of water
> flowed around it became the symbol of the flood. What river?

saguenay river

> * Books by Scientists
>
> 13. Who wrote "The Cosmic Connection"?

carl saggan

> 14. Who wrote "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male"?

alfred kinsey

> 15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
> (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

isaac newton

> --
> Mark Brader "Although I have not seen any mention of SoftQuad
> Toronto or HoTMetaL in the magazine, it is certainly
> m...@vex.net worth while reading." -- Selwyn Wener
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who refuses to go searching for butterfly pictures again. so I'll start looking at images of semi precious stones instead.

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

<456a4c80-a5ea-4792-aeac-7c7f1e4bfeban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3807&group=rec.games.trivia#3807

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:46:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 20:46 UTC

On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 1:45:09 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. More Masters controversy. The CEO of this corporation is given
> a membership at Augusta National Golf Club. The problem with
> that is, their new CEO is (gasp) a woman! What company?

IBM

> ** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Cormac McCarthy

> 2. This is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and
> his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape
> blasted by an unspecified cataclysm. Name this novel that won
> the 2007 Pulitzer Prize.

"The Road"

> * Word Origins
>
> 4. First used in the context of folklore in 1885, what term
> describes a god/spirit/animal who disobeys normal rules and tries
> to survive the dangers of the world using deceit? Examples:
> Bugs Bunny, "the Tramp" (Charlie Chaplin), Pippi Longstocking.

trickster
> 5. What word, derived from German, describes a form of art that
> is a tasteless copy of an extant style of art?

kitsch

> 6. What word that means "cheap" or "gaudy" is derived from the
> practice of trinkets sold at St. Audrey's Fair in England?

tawdry

> * Artists
>
> 7. Which Italian painter's name literally translates to "Little
> Barrel"? His work has been seen to represent the linear grace
> of Early Renaissance painting. Who is he?

Tintoretto
> 8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
> sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?

Vermeer

> * Last Lines from Novels
>
> In each case, name the novel whose last line is being given.
>
> 10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
> to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
> to say which was which."

"Animal Farm"

> 11. "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
> the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize
> me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

"Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
> 12. "Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all,
> tomorrow is another day."

"Gone with the Wind"

> * Google Doodles
>
> In each case, name the *writer* being commemorated.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/13.jpg

Austen

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/14.jpg

Wilde

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/15.jpg

Dickens

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Clouds
>
> In each case, name the type of cloud shown. You must use the
> latinate scientific name.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg

cumulonimbus; cumulus

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/2.jpg

cumulonimbus; cumulus

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

cumulonimbus; cumulus

> * Books by Scientists

> 14. Who wrote "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male"?

Kinsey
> 15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
> (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

Newton

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

<t2tnjr$1aa8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3808&group=rec.games.trivia#3808

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 23:49:00 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 04:49 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. More Masters controversy. The CEO of this corporation is given
> a membership at Augusta National Golf Club. The problem with
> that is, their new CEO is (gasp) a woman! What company?
>
> 2. Which US politician got pranked to do a speech before an empty
> house on April Fools Day?
>
> 3. What major US metropolis was hit by a series of tornadoes last
> Wednesday, grounding more than 400 flights at one of the busiest
> US airports?
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Cormac McCarthy
>
> 1. What is the collective name given to these three McCarthy novels?
> "All the Pretty Horses", "The Crossing", "Cities of the Plain".
>
> 2. This is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and
> his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape
> blasted by an unspecified cataclysm. Name this novel that won
> the 2007 Pulitzer Prize.

The Road

> 3. In McCarthy's novel "No Country for Old Men", what is the name
> of the main antagonist, a sociopathic hitman? He was portrayed
> by Javier Bardem in the movie adaptation.

Chighur

> * Word Origins
>
> 4. First used in the context of folklore in 1885, what term
> describes a god/spirit/animal who disobeys normal rules and tries
> to survive the dangers of the world using deceit? Examples:
> Bugs Bunny, "the Tramp" (Charlie Chaplin), Pippi Longstocking.
>
> 5. What word, derived from German, describes a form of art that
> is a tasteless copy of an extant style of art?
>
> 6. What word that means "cheap" or "gaudy" is derived from the
> practice of trinkets sold at St. Audrey's Fair in England?

Farago

> * Artists
>
> 7. Which Italian painter's name literally translates to "Little
> Barrel"? His work has been seen to represent the linear grace
> of Early Renaissance painting. Who is he?
>
> 8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
> sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?

Rembrandt

> 9. The 1633 painting, "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee", that
> depicted the miracle of Jesus calming the waves was stolen
> in 1990 from a Boston museum in what was considered to be the
> biggest art theft in history. This painting is the only known
> seascape by which great artist?
>

> * Last Lines from Novels
>
> In each case, name the novel whose last line is being given.
>
> 10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
> to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
> to say which was which."

Animal Farm

> 11. "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
> the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize
> me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

Huckleberry Finn

> 12. "Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all,
> tomorrow is another day."

Gone With the Wind

> * Google Doodles
>
> In each case, name the *writer* being commemorated.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/14.jpg

Wilde

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/15.jpg

Dickens

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science
>
> * Clouds
>
> In each case, name the type of cloud shown. You must use the
> latinate scientific name.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg

Cumulo nimbus

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/2.jpg

Cumulo nimbus

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

Cumulo nimbus

> * Butterflies of Southern Ontario
>
> In each case, name the butterfly. *Note*: in one or more cases
> two words are required, i.e., be sufficiently specific.
>
> 4. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/4.jpg>
> can be found in Southern Ontario and is named for the large
> chestnut-shaped circles on its wings.
>
> 5. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/5.jpg>
> mimics the Monarch's pattern (except for a black horizontal
> stripe that crosses the bottom of its back wings) and fools
> birds and other predators into thinking they have the same
> bitter taste.

Tiger

> 6. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/6.jpg>
> is one of the best-known butterflies in this country because
> of its size and distinctive pattern. The yellow background
> with wide black stripes catches the attention of even the most
> casual observer. The underside is yellow, often with extensive
> overscaling of orange, and black.
>

> * Semi-Precious Gems
>
> In each case, name the semi-precious stone shown.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/7.jpg
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/8.jpg

Tanzanite

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/9.jpg
>

> * Canadian Extreme Weather
>
> 10. The deadliest tornado """ever""" in Canadian history hit on
> 1912-06-30, killing 28 people and damaging or destroying about
> 500 buildings. At the time it was referred to as a cyclone.
> What Canadian city did the tornado strike?
>
> 11. Trailer parks are particularly susceptible to the destructive
> forces of a tornado. 15 people in the Evergreen Trailer Park
> in this Canadian city were killed when a tornado swept through
> the eastern part of the city on 1987-07-31. What city?
>
> 12. In July of 1996, after two weeks of heavy rains, this Quebec
> river experienced one of the worst floods in Canadian history.
> A small white house that stood unharmed while torrents of water
> flowed around it became the symbol of the flood. What river?
>

> * Books by Scientists
>
> 13. Who wrote "The Cosmic Connection"?
>
> 14. Who wrote "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male"?
>
> 15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
> (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3: arts&lit, science

<t2vcgc$com$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3809&group=rec.games.trivia#3809

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:51:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:51 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature

> * Cormac McCarthy

> 2. This is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and
> his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape
> blasted by an unspecified cataclysm. Name this novel that won
> the 2007 Pulitzer Prize.

The Road

> * Word Origins

> 4. First used in the context of folklore in 1885, what term
> describes a god/spirit/animal who disobeys normal rules and tries
> to survive the dangers of the world using deceit? Examples:
> Bugs Bunny, "the Tramp" (Charlie Chaplin), Pippi Longstocking.

trickster

> 5. What word, derived from German, describes a form of art that
> is a tasteless copy of an extant style of art?

kitsch

> 6. What word that means "cheap" or "gaudy" is derived from the
> practice of trinkets sold at St. Audrey's Fair in England?

tawdry

> * Artists

> 7. Which Italian painter's name literally translates to "Little
> Barrel"? His work has been seen to represent the linear grace
> of Early Renaissance painting. Who is he?

Botticelli

> 8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
> sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?

Vermeer

> 9. The 1633 painting, "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee", that
> depicted the miracle of Jesus calming the waves was stolen
> in 1990 from a Boston museum in what was considered to be the
> biggest art theft in history. This painting is the only known
> seascape by which great artist?

Rembrandt

> * Last Lines from Novels

> 10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
> to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
> to say which was which."

Animal Farm

> 11. "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
> the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize
> me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

> 12. "Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all,
> tomorrow is another day."

Gone With the Wind

> * Google Doodles

> In each case, name the *writer* being commemorated.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/13.jpg

Jane Austen

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/14.jpg

Oscar Wilde; Edgar Allen Poe

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/15.jpg

Charles Dickens

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science

> * Clouds

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg

cumulus

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/2.jpg

stratocumulus

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

cirrus

> * Butterflies of Southern Ontario

> 5. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/5.jpg>
> mimics the Monarch's pattern (except for a black horizontal
> stripe that crosses the bottom of its back wings) and fools
> birds and other predators into thinking they have the same
> bitter taste.

Viceroy

> * Semi-Precious Gems

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/7.jpg

opal

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/8.jpg

tourmaline

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/9.jpg

sapphire; topaz

> * Books by Scientists

> 13. Who wrote "The Cosmic Connection"?

Carl Sagan

> 14. Who wrote "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male"?

Kinsey

> 15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
> (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

Isaac Newton

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: arts&lit, science

<noOdnZKkm_bl18j_nZ2dnUU7-bXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3810&group=rec.games.trivia#3810

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: arts&lit, science
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 04:46:32 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:46 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. More Masters controversy. The CEO of this corporation is given
> a membership at Augusta National Golf Club. The problem with
> that is, their new CEO is (gasp) a woman! What company?

IBM. (Ginni Rometty.) Joshua got this.

> 2. Which US politician got pranked to do a speech before an empty
> house on April Fools Day?

Mitt Romney.

> 3. What major US metropolis was hit by a series of tornadoes last
> Wednesday, grounding more than 400 flights at one of the busiest
> US airports?

Dallas.

> ** Final, Round 2 - Arts & Literature

In the original game, this was tied for being the second-easiest
round, after Current Events.

> * Cormac McCarthy

> 1. What is the collective name given to these three McCarthy novels?
> "All the Pretty Horses", "The Crossing", "Cities of the Plain".

Border Trilogy. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. This is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and
> his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape
> blasted by an unspecified cataclysm. Name this novel that won
> the 2007 Pulitzer Prize.

"The Road". 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 3. In McCarthy's novel "No Country for Old Men", what is the name
> of the main antagonist, a sociopathic hitman? He was portrayed
> by Javier Bardem in the movie adaptation.

Anton Chigurh. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> * Word Origins

> 4. First used in the context of folklore in 1885, what term
> describes a god/spirit/animal who disobeys normal rules and tries
> to survive the dangers of the world using deceit? Examples:
> Bugs Bunny, "the Tramp" (Charlie Chaplin), Pippi Longstocking.

Trickster. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 5. What word, derived from German, describes a form of art that
> is a tasteless copy of an extant style of art?

Kitsch. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 6. What word that means "cheap" or "gaudy" is derived from the
> practice of trinkets sold at St. Audrey's Fair in England?

Tawdry. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> * Artists

> 7. Which Italian painter's name literally translates to "Little
> Barrel"? His work has been seen to represent the linear grace
> of Early Renaissance painting. Who is he?

Sandro Botticelli. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> 8. Who painted the 17th century work "Girl With a Pearl Earring",
> sometimes referred to as the "Mona Lisa of the North"?

Johannes Vermeer. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 9. The 1633 painting, "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee", that
> depicted the miracle of Jesus calming the waves was stolen
> in 1990 from a Boston museum in what was considered to be the
> biggest art theft in history. This painting is the only known
> seascape by which great artist?

Rembrandt van Rijn. Yes, Rembrandt was sufficient. 4 for Erland,
Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> * Last Lines from Novels

> In each case, name the novel whose last line is being given.

> 10. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man
> to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible
> to say which was which."

"Animal Farm". 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Tilque, Stephen,
Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 11. "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of
> the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize
> me and I can't stand it. I been there before."

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". The last two words were
sufficient. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 12. "Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all,
> tomorrow is another day."

"Gone With the Wind". 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Blum.

> * Google Doodles

> In each case, name the *writer* being commemorated.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/13.jpg

Jane Austen. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/14.jpg

Oscar Wilde. 4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-02/google/15.jpg

Charles Dickens. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> ** Final, Round 3 - Science

And this was the hardest round in the original game.

> * Clouds

> In each case, name the type of cloud shown. You must use the
> latinate scientific name.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/1.jpg

Cumulus. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.
2 for Joshua.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/2.jpg

Cumulonimbus. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/cloud/3.jpg

Cirrus. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> * Butterflies of Southern Ontario

> In each case, name the butterfly. *Note*: in one or more cases
> two words are required, i.e., be sufficiently specific.

> 4. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/4.jpg>
> can be found in Southern Ontario and is named for the large
> chestnut-shaped circles on its wings.

Buckeye. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/5.jpg>
> mimics the Monarch's pattern (except for a black horizontal
> stripe that crosses the bottom of its back wings) and fools
> birds and other predators into thinking they have the same
> bitter taste.

Viceroy. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> 6. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/insect/6.jpg>
> is one of the best-known butterflies in this country because
> of its size and distinctive pattern. The yellow background
> with wide black stripes catches the attention of even the most
> casual observer. The underside is yellow, often with extensive
> overscaling of orange, and black.

Tiger swallowtail (both words required). 4 for Stephen.

> * Semi-Precious Gems

> In each case, name the semi-precious stone shown.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/7.jpg

Ammolite. 2 for Stephen.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/8.jpg

Peridot. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi-03/gem/9.jpg

Tanzanite. 4 for Stephen.

> * Canadian Extreme Weather

> 10. The deadliest tornado """ever""" in Canadian history hit on
> 1912-06-30, killing 28 people and damaging or destroying about
> 500 buildings. At the time it was referred to as a cyclone.
> What Canadian city did the tornado strike?

Regina. (Still true.) 4 for Stephen.

> 11. Trailer parks are particularly susceptible to the destructive
> forces of a tornado. 15 people in the Evergreen Trailer Park
> in this Canadian city were killed when a tornado swept through
> the eastern part of the city on 1987-07-31. What city?

Edmonton. 4 for Stephen.

> 12. In July of 1996, after two weeks of heavy rains, this Quebec
> river experienced one of the worst floods in Canadian history.
> A small white house that stood unharmed while torrents of water
> flowed around it became the symbol of the flood. What river?

Saguenay. 4 for Stephen.

> * Books by Scientists

> 13. Who wrote "The Cosmic Connection"?

Carl Sagan. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 14. Who wrote "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male"?

Alfred Kinsey. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 15. Who wrote "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica"
> (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy)?

Isaac Newton. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> A+L Sci
Stephen Perry 52 58 110
Dan Blum 51 24 75
Joshua Kreitzer 44 13 57
Dan Tilque 16 20 36
Pete Gayde 28 4 32
Erland Sommarskog 12 12 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "For want of a bit the loop was lost..."
msb@vex.net -- Steve Summit