Nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: answers colleges, challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challengeswp
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challengePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challengeMark Brader
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: answers colleges, challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge

<WqudnZmFCvwLHtH_nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3793&group=rec.games.trivia#3793

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 12:59:50 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:59 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges

The following are small (or at least relatively small) but
well-known colleges in the United States. In each case, we give
you the name, and you just name the *state* where the main campus
is located.

1. Marquette.
2. Marshall.
3. Morehead State.
4. Oberlin.
5. Northwestern University.
6. Bryn Mawr College.
7. Hofstra.
8. Gonzaga University.
9. Duke University.
10. Seton Hall.

** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. April Observances

A1. What saint is celebrated on April 23, the traditionally
accepted date of his death in 303?

A2. This civic holiday, held on the third Monday in April,
commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and
Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
The Boston Marathon is run on this holiday.

* B. Old-Time Boxing

B1. Who was Jack Dempsey's opponent in the 1926 title fight
that became known as the "Long Count"?

B2. He was the World Heavyweight Champion from September 1952 to
April 1956 and is the only champion to hold the heavyweight
title and go untied and undefeated throughout his career.
Name him.

* C. Gross Food

C1. Which culinary term refers to the entrails and internal
organs of a butchered animal?

C2. This cheese originated during the 19th century in an
area of Europe which is now divided between Belgium, Germany,
and the Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for
its pungent odor, commonly compared to body odor.

* D. Famous Diamonds

In each case, name the diamond.

D1. At 46 carats, this fancy dark grayish-blue diamond is
supposedly cursed. It has a long recorded history (with
a few gaps), in which it changed hands numerous times on
its way from India to France to Britain to the United States.

D2. At 3,107 carats, this was the largest rough gem-quality
diamond ever found. It was cut into 105 diamonds, including
the Great Star of Africa and the Lesser Star of Africa,
both of which are now part of the British crown jewels.

* E. Beer

E1. Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by
carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, what
type of beer brewed in Belgium is produced by spontaneous
fermentation?

E2. Fans of India Pale Ales often compare such beers by looking
at how many IBUs their favourite beer is rated. What does
the B in IBU stand for?

* F. Box Office Disasters

In each case, name the movie.

F1. This 1987 comedy, starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty
as a couple of untalented lounge singers, is synonymous
with the term "box-office flop". It cost $55,000,000 but
only made $15,000,000 at the box office.

F2. This 2002 comedy starred Eddie Murphy as the owner of a
nightclub on the Moon, investigating who was behind the
arson that destroyed it. Directed by Ron Underwood, the
movie grossed $4,000,000 on a $100,000,000 budget.

--
Mark Brader | "...she was quite surprised to find that she remained
Toronto | the same size: to be sure, this generally happens

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge

<t2igl7$hf2$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3794&group=rec.games.trivia#3794

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 22:42:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 22:42 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges

> 1. Marquette.

Wisconsin

> 2. Marshall.

West Virginia

> 3. Morehead State.

Georgia

> 4. Oberlin.

Ohio

> 5. Northwestern University.

Illinois

> 6. Bryn Mawr College.

Pennsylvania

> 7. Hofstra.

New York

> 8. Gonzaga University.

Washington

> 9. Duke University.

North Carolina

> 10. Seton Hall.

New Jersey

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. April Observances

> A1. What saint is celebrated on April 23, the traditionally
> accepted date of his death in 303?

Constantine; Christopher

> A2. This civic holiday, held on the third Monday in April,
> commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and
> Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
> The Boston Marathon is run on this holiday.

Patriot Day

> * B. Old-Time Boxing

> B1. Who was Jack Dempsey's opponent in the 1926 title fight
> that became known as the "Long Count"?

Jack Johnson

> * C. Gross Food

> C1. Which culinary term refers to the entrails and internal
> organs of a butchered animal?

sweetbreads

> C2. This cheese originated during the 19th century in an
> area of Europe which is now divided between Belgium, Germany,
> and the Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for
> its pungent odor, commonly compared to body odor.

Limburger

> * D. Famous Diamonds

> In each case, name the diamond.

> D1. At 46 carats, this fancy dark grayish-blue diamond is
> supposedly cursed. It has a long recorded history (with
> a few gaps), in which it changed hands numerous times on
> its way from India to France to Britain to the United States.

Hope Diamond

> * E. Beer

> E2. Fans of India Pale Ales often compare such beers by looking
> at how many IBUs their favourite beer is rated. What does
> the B in IBU stand for?

bitter; British

> * F. Box Office Disasters

> F1. This 1987 comedy, starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty
> as a couple of untalented lounge singers, is synonymous
> with the term "box-office flop". It cost $55,000,000 but
> only made $15,000,000 at the box office.

Ishtar

> F2. This 2002 comedy starred Eddie Murphy as the owner of a
> nightclub on the Moon, investigating who was behind the
> arson that destroyed it. Directed by Ron Underwood, the
> movie grossed $4,000,000 on a $100,000,000 budget.

Pluto Nash

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge

<5189e962-2330-4ccd-af9a-096c759f3509n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3795&group=rec.games.trivia#3795

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:55:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 23:55 UTC

On Tuesday, April 5, 2022 at 1:59:56 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges
>
> The following are small (or at least relatively small) but
> well-known colleges in the United States. In each case, we give
> you the name, and you just name the *state* where the main campus
> is located.

and a good representation of the big east conference

> 1. Marquette.

wisconsin

> 2. Marshall.

west virginia

> 3. Morehead State.

kentucky

> 4. Oberlin.

oho

> 5. Northwestern University.

illinois

> 6. Bryn Mawr College.

pennsylvania

> 7. Hofstra.

new york

> 8. Gonzaga University.

washington

> 9. Duke University.

north carolina

> 10. Seton Hall.

new jersey

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. April Observances
>
> A1. What saint is celebrated on April 23, the traditionally
> accepted date of his death in 303?

saint george

> A2. This civic holiday, held on the third Monday in April,
> commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and
> Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
> The Boston Marathon is run on this holiday.

patriots' day

> * B. Old-Time Boxing
>
> B1. Who was Jack Dempsey's opponent in the 1926 title fight
> that became known as the "Long Count"?

gene tunney

> B2. He was the World Heavyweight Champion from September 1952 to
> April 1956 and is the only champion to hold the heavyweight
> title and go untied and undefeated throughout his career.
> Name him.

rocky marciano

> * C. Gross Food
>
> C1. Which culinary term refers to the entrails and internal
> organs of a butchered animal?

offal

> C2. This cheese originated during the 19th century in an
> area of Europe which is now divided between Belgium, Germany,
> and the Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for
> its pungent odor, commonly compared to body odor.

limburger

> * D. Famous Diamonds
>
> In each case, name the diamond.
>
> D1. At 46 carats, this fancy dark grayish-blue diamond is
> supposedly cursed. It has a long recorded history (with
> a few gaps), in which it changed hands numerous times on
> its way from India to France to Britain to the United States.

the hope diamond

> D2. At 3,107 carats, this was the largest rough gem-quality
> diamond ever found. It was cut into 105 diamonds, including
> the Great Star of Africa and the Lesser Star of Africa,
> both of which are now part of the British crown jewels.

the cullinan diamond

> * E. Beer
>
> E1. Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by
> carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, what
> type of beer brewed in Belgium is produced by spontaneous
> fermentation?

lambic beer

> E2. Fans of India Pale Ales often compare such beers by looking
> at how many IBUs their favourite beer is rated. What does
> the B in IBU stand for?

bitterness

> * F. Box Office Disasters
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. This 1987 comedy, starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty
> as a couple of untalented lounge singers, is synonymous
> with the term "box-office flop". It cost $55,000,000 but
> only made $15,000,000 at the box office.

ishtar

> F2. This 2002 comedy starred Eddie Murphy as the owner of a
> nightclub on the Moon, investigating who was behind the
> arson that destroyed it. Directed by Ron Underwood, the
> movie grossed $4,000,000 on a $100,000,000 budget.

the adventures of pluto nash

> --
> Mark Brader | "...she was quite surprised to find that she remained
> Toronto | the same size: to be sure, this generally happens
> m...@vex.net | when one eats cake, but..." --Lewis Carroll
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge

<87ddd058-6d92-4d85-a206-75e7057fbebcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3796&group=rec.games.trivia#3796

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 17:51:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 00:51 UTC

On Tuesday, April 5, 2022 at 12:59:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges
>
> The following are small (or at least relatively small) but
> well-known colleges in the United States. In each case, we give
> you the name, and you just name the *state* where the main campus
> is located.
>
> 1. Marquette.

Wisconsin

> 2. Marshall.

West Virginia
> 3. Morehead State.

Minnesota

> 4. Oberlin.

Ohio
> 5. Northwestern University.

Illinois

> 6. Bryn Mawr College.

Pennsylvania

> 7. Hofstra.

New York

> 8. Gonzaga University.

Washington

> 9. Duke University.

North Carolina

> 10. Seton Hall.

New Jersey

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. April Observances
>
> A1. What saint is celebrated on April 23, the traditionally
> accepted date of his death in 303?

George

> A2. This civic holiday, held on the third Monday in April,
> commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and
> Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
> The Boston Marathon is run on this holiday.

Patriots Day

> * B. Old-Time Boxing
>
> B2. He was the World Heavyweight Champion from September 1952 to
> April 1956 and is the only champion to hold the heavyweight
> title and go untied and undefeated throughout his career.
> Name him.

Marciano

> * C. Gross Food
>
> C2. This cheese originated during the 19th century in an
> area of Europe which is now divided between Belgium, Germany,
> and the Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for
> its pungent odor, commonly compared to body odor.

Limburger
> * D. Famous Diamonds
>
> In each case, name the diamond.
>
> D1. At 46 carats, this fancy dark grayish-blue diamond is
> supposedly cursed. It has a long recorded history (with
> a few gaps), in which it changed hands numerous times on
> its way from India to France to Britain to the United States.

Hope Diamond

> D2. At 3,107 carats, this was the largest rough gem-quality
> diamond ever found. It was cut into 105 diamonds, including
> the Great Star of Africa and the Lesser Star of Africa,
> both of which are now part of the British crown jewels.

Koh-i-Noor

> * E. Beer
>
> E1. Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by
> carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, what
> type of beer brewed in Belgium is produced by spontaneous
> fermentation?

lambic

> E2. Fans of India Pale Ales often compare such beers by looking
> at how many IBUs their favourite beer is rated. What does
> the B in IBU stand for?

bitterness

> * F. Box Office Disasters
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. This 1987 comedy, starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty
> as a couple of untalented lounge singers, is synonymous
> with the term "box-office flop". It cost $55,000,000 but
> only made $15,000,000 at the box office.

"Ishtar"

> F2. This 2002 comedy starred Eddie Murphy as the owner of a
> nightclub on the Moon, investigating who was behind the
> arson that destroyed it. Directed by Ron Underwood, the
> movie grossed $4,000,000 on a $100,000,000 budget.

"The Adventures of Pluto Nash"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge

<t2lh37$ect$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3798&group=rec.games.trivia#3798

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 19:08:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 02:08 UTC

On 4/5/22 10:59, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges
>
> The following are small (or at least relatively small) but
> well-known colleges in the United States. In each case, we give
> you the name, and you just name the *state* where the main campus
> is located.
>
> 1. Marquette.

Wisconsin

> 2. Marshall.

West Viginia

> 3. Morehead State.

Minnesota

> 4. Oberlin.

Ohio

> 5. Northwestern University.

Illinois

> 6. Bryn Mawr College.

Pennsylvania

> 7. Hofstra.

New Jersey

> 8. Gonzaga University.

Washington

> 9. Duke University.

North Carolina

> 10. Seton Hall.

Virginia

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. April Observances
>
> A1. What saint is celebrated on April 23, the traditionally
> accepted date of his death in 303?

Christopher; Steven

> A2. This civic holiday, held on the third Monday in April,
> commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and
> Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
> The Boston Marathon is run on this holiday.

Patriots' Day

> * B. Old-Time Boxing
>
> B1. Who was Jack Dempsey's opponent in the 1926 title fight
> that became known as the "Long Count"?
>
> B2. He was the World Heavyweight Champion from September 1952 to
> April 1956 and is the only champion to hold the heavyweight
> title and go untied and undefeated throughout his career.
> Name him.

Joe Lewis

> * C. Gross Food
>
> C1. Which culinary term refers to the entrails and internal
> organs of a butchered animal?

offal

> C2. This cheese originated during the 19th century in an
> area of Europe which is now divided between Belgium, Germany,
> and the Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for
> its pungent odor, commonly compared to body odor.

Limburger

> * D. Famous Diamonds
>
> In each case, name the diamond.
>
> D1. At 46 carats, this fancy dark grayish-blue diamond is
> supposedly cursed. It has a long recorded history (with
> a few gaps), in which it changed hands numerous times on
> its way from India to France to Britain to the United States.

Hope Diamond

> D2. At 3,107 carats, this was the largest rough gem-quality
> diamond ever found. It was cut into 105 diamonds, including
> the Great Star of Africa and the Lesser Star of Africa,
> both of which are now part of the British crown jewels.
>

> * E. Beer
>
> E1. Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by
> carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, what
> type of beer brewed in Belgium is produced by spontaneous
> fermentation?
>
> E2. Fans of India Pale Ales often compare such beers by looking
> at how many IBUs their favourite beer is rated. What does
> the B in IBU stand for?

bitterness

> * F. Box Office Disasters
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. This 1987 comedy, starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty
> as a couple of untalented lounge singers, is synonymous
> with the term "box-office flop". It cost $55,000,000 but
> only made $15,000,000 at the box office.
>
> F2. This 2002 comedy starred Eddie Murphy as the owner of a
> nightclub on the Moon, investigating who was behind the
> arson that destroyed it. Directed by Ron Underwood, the
> movie grossed $4,000,000 on a $100,000,000 budget.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge

<t2pp4g$1h9d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3800&group=rec.games.trivia#3800

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 11:50:23 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:50 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges
>
> The following are small (or at least relatively small) but
> well-known colleges in the United States. In each case, we give
> you the name, and you just name the *state* where the main campus
> is located.
>
> 1. Marquette.

Wisconsin

> 2. Marshall.

Virginia

> 3. Morehead State.

Kentucky

> 4. Oberlin.

Ohio

> 5. Northwestern University.

Illinois

> 6. Bryn Mawr College.

Pennsylvania

> 7. Hofstra.

New York

> 8. Gonzaga University.

Washington

> 9. Duke University.

North Carolina

> 10. Seton Hall.

New Jersey

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. April Observances
>
> A1. What saint is celebrated on April 23, the traditionally
> accepted date of his death in 303?

Augustine;

> A2. This civic holiday, held on the third Monday in April,
> commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and
> Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
> The Boston Marathon is run on this holiday.

Patriots Day

> * B. Old-Time Boxing
>
> B1. Who was Jack Dempsey's opponent in the 1926 title fight
> that became known as the "Long Count"?

Tunney

> B2. He was the World Heavyweight Champion from September 1952 to
> April 1956 and is the only champion to hold the heavyweight
> title and go untied and undefeated throughout his career.
> Name him.

Marciano

> * C. Gross Food
>
> C1. Which culinary term refers to the entrails and internal
> organs of a butchered animal?

Tripe

> C2. This cheese originated during the 19th century in an
> area of Europe which is now divided between Belgium, Germany,
> and the Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for
> its pungent odor, commonly compared to body odor.

Limburger

> * D. Famous Diamonds
>
> In each case, name the diamond.
>
> D1. At 46 carats, this fancy dark grayish-blue diamond is
> supposedly cursed. It has a long recorded history (with
> a few gaps), in which it changed hands numerous times on
> its way from India to France to Britain to the United States.

Hope; Star

> D2. At 3,107 carats, this was the largest rough gem-quality
> diamond ever found. It was cut into 105 diamonds, including
> the Great Star of Africa and the Lesser Star of Africa,
> both of which are now part of the British crown jewels.

Hope; Star

> * E. Beer
>
> E1. Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by
> carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, what
> type of beer brewed in Belgium is produced by spontaneous
> fermentation?

Lambic

> E2. Fans of India Pale Ales often compare such beers by looking
> at how many IBUs their favourite beer is rated. What does
> the B in IBU stand for?

International Bitterness Units

> * F. Box Office Disasters
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> F1. This 1987 comedy, starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty
> as a couple of untalented lounge singers, is synonymous
> with the term "box-office flop". It cost $55,000,000 but
> only made $15,000,000 at the box office.
>
> F2. This 2002 comedy starred Eddie Murphy as the owner of a
> nightclub on the Moon, investigating who was behind the
> arson that destroyed it. Directed by Ron Underwood, the
> movie grossed $4,000,000 on a $100,000,000 budget.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: colleges, challenge

<t_idnRODCrHXt8z_nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3801&group=rec.games.trivia#3801

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 01:40:10 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 06:40 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 10 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won, successfully holding
off a late charge by Stephen Perry. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges

> The following are small (or at least relatively small) but
> well-known colleges in the United States. In each case, we give
> you the name, and you just name the *state* where the main campus
> is located.

This was the hardest round in the original game and the
3rd-hardest of the entire season.

> 1. Marquette.

(I'm showing the city as well, when it isn't the same as the first
word in the college's name.) Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 4 for everyone --
Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Marshall.

Huntington, West Virginia. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Morehead State.

Kentucky. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 4. Oberlin.

Ohio. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Northwestern University.

Evanston, Illinois. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Bryn Mawr College.

Pennsylvania. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Hofstra.

Hempstead, New York. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. Gonzaga University.

Spokane, Washington. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Duke University.

Durham, North Carolina. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Seton Hall.

South Orange, New Jersey. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. April Observances

> A1. What saint is celebrated on April 23, the traditionally
> accepted date of his death in 303?

St. George. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> A2. This civic holiday, held on the third Monday in April,
> commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and
> Concord, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
> The Boston Marathon is run on this holiday.

Patriots' Day. 4 for everyone.

> * B. Old-Time Boxing

> B1. Who was Jack Dempsey's opponent in the 1926 title fight
> that became known as the "Long Count"?

Gene Tunney. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

No points for "a United States Marine"! (He was one once, though.)

> B2. He was the World Heavyweight Champion from September 1952 to
> April 1956 and is the only champion to hold the heavyweight
> title and go untied and undefeated throughout his career.
> Name him.

Rocky Marciano. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> * C. Gross Food

> C1. Which culinary term refers to the entrails and internal
> organs of a butchered animal?

Offal. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

Other terms guessed refer to specific organs.

> C2. This cheese originated during the 19th century in an
> area of Europe which is now divided between Belgium, Germany,
> and the Netherlands. The cheese is especially known for
> its pungent odor, commonly compared to body odor.

Limburger. 4 for everyone.

> * D. Famous Diamonds

> In each case, name the diamond.

> D1. At 46 carats, this fancy dark grayish-blue diamond is
> supposedly cursed. It has a long recorded history (with
> a few gaps), in which it changed hands numerous times on
> its way from India to France to Britain to the United States.

Hope Diamond. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Pete.

> D2. At 3,107 carats, this was the largest rough gem-quality
> diamond ever found. It was cut into 105 diamonds, including
> the Great Star of Africa and the Lesser Star of Africa,
> both of which are now part of the British crown jewels.

Cullinan Diamond. 4 for Stephen.

> * E. Beer

> E1. Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by
> carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, what
> type of beer brewed in Belgium is produced by spontaneous
> fermentation?

Lambic beer. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> E2. Fans of India Pale Ales often compare such beers by looking
> at how many IBUs their favourite beer is rated. What does
> the B in IBU stand for?

Bitterness. They're International Bitterness Units. 4 for Stephen,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> * F. Box Office Disasters

> In each case, name the movie.

> F1. This 1987 comedy, starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty
> as a couple of untalented lounge singers, is synonymous
> with the term "box-office flop". It cost $55,000,000 but
> only made $15,000,000 at the box office.

"Ishtar". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> F2. This 2002 comedy starred Eddie Murphy as the owner of a
> nightclub on the Moon, investigating who was behind the
> arson that destroyed it. Directed by Ron Underwood, the
> movie grossed $4,000,000 on a $100,000,000 budget.

"(The Adventures of) Pluto Nash". 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Spo Can Can Art Ent Geo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 32 23 4 20 36 32 36 36 195
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 40 48 168
Pete Gayde -- -- 4 19 40 20 36 27 146
Dan Blum 16 4 0 12 14 32 36 23 133
Dan Tilque 8 12 24 8 0 16 28 20 108
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 4 4 12 0 -- -- 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can be gullible about these kinds of things.
msb@vex.net | Or so people tell me, and I believe them."

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: answers colleges, challenge

<lu2dnX7R7-4ktsz_nZ2dnUU7-c3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3803&group=rec.games.trivia#3803

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: answers colleges, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Supersedes: <t_idnRODCrHXt8z_nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 01:46:17 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 06:46 UTC

(Reposting with the correct subject line.)

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 10 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won, successfully holding
off a late charge by Stephen Perry. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Geography - Small US Colleges

> The following are small (or at least relatively small) but
> well-known colleges in the United States. In each case, we give
> you the name, and you just name the *state* where the main campus
> is located.

This was the hardest round in the original game and the
3rd-hardest of the entire season.

> 1. Marquette.

(I'm showing the city as well, when it isn't the same as the first
word in the college's name.) Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 4 for everyone --
Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Marshall.

Huntington, West Virginia. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Morehead State.

Kentucky. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 4. Oberlin.