A critic is a bundle of biases held loosely together by a sense of taste. -- Whitney Balliett

interests / alt.politics / Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

SubjectAuthor
* Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StateD. Ray
`* Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaLawrence D'Oliveiro
 `* Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaD. Ray
  `* Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaLawrence D'Oliveiro
   `* Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaD. Ray
    `* Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaLawrence D'Oliveiro
     `* Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaD. Ray
      +- Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaTall Henry
      `* Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaLawrence D'Oliveiro
       `- Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York StaPhil Hendry's Chop shop

1
Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<MIBgTDJQEqRGAWUmkYBJCfQLLBXFMgJR@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38038&group=alt.politics#38038

Date: Sat, 06 Apr 24 21:18:40 UTC
Subject: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State
From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.republicans,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel
 by: D. Ray - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:18 UTC

Albany, New York – In a state where voicing your political opinion could
result in your arrest, a draconian new set of laws proposed by Senate
Republicans could make things even worse.

Just last week, Republicans quietly introduced a series of laws aimed at
cracking down on so-called “antisemitism” in the Empire State, following a
wave of backlash from the widely unpopular Israeli war on Gaza. The
legislation would make it a misdemeanor to tear down pro-Israel posters and
flyers, as well as prohibit the removal of pro-Jewish materials from public
property.

Republican Minority leader, Senator Robert Ortt, said the laws were
proposed to safeguard “religious groups” in the state, and emphasized the
presence Jews have in New York.

“New York is home to the largest Jewish population outside of Israel, and
it is incumbent upon us to take action to ensure nobody is ever made to
feel unsafe because of their religion,” said Ortt.

Some of the protected Jewish material would include the now-infamous
“Kidnapped” posters, which feature the names and faces of Israeli Jews
alleged to have been kidnapped by Hamas Freedom fighters on October 7th.

The proposed laws would also serve to redefine antisemitism under the
state’s current Human Rights Law, making it easier to prosecute instances
of incitement of violence or vandalism as an antisemitic hate crime. The
laws would appear to affect college students the most, a demographic most
engaged with anti-Zionist activism in the wake of October 7th.

Specifically, the laws would,

- Block tuition assistance for those found expressing “anti-Jewish
harassment.”

- Mandate antisemitism awareness and prevention training in City and State
colleges, under threat of losing state funding.

- Add so-called “Nazi symbols” to a list of images that would constitute a
crime of harassing conduct.

In New York, hate crime laws are already exceptionally harsh. As it stands,
displaying certain symbols in public could earn you a felony aggravated
harassment charge, punishable by up to five years in prison. In 2022, a
pro-White activist was arrested, harassed, and red-flagged under New York’s
unconstitutional firearm confiscation laws for a swastika sticker found in
public places at Albany University. The law allows for police to
arbitrarily deem individuals mentally unfit for possessing firearms,
without consulting a doctor or health professional beforehand.

The NY GOP was said to have formed a “working group” to address
antisemitism in March of 2023, months before October 7th. During a press
conference in Albany, Ortt called on Democrats across the aisle to support
the measures, including Jewish US Senator and Democratic Majority Leader
Chuck Schumer, a staunch defender of Israel.

Schumer, like Ortt, believes a wave of so-called “antisemitism” in the
United States is inexorably linked to Israel’s ongoing genocide of Gaza,
which has so far resulted in the deaths of at least 32,000 Palestinians
since hostilities began. While the new GOP laws have yet to be approved,
the chances of them being rejected appear slim, as high-powered Democrats
like Schumer have previously called for tougher hate crime laws to keep
Jews comfortable.

“Jewish Americans feel alone to face all of this — abandoned by too many of
our friends and allies in our greatest time of need, as antisemitic hate
crimes skyrocket across the country,” bemoaned Schumer late last year.

Powerful Jewish organizations and their leaders have been hard at work
since October 7th to stamp out a rising tide of “antisemitism” amid
Israel’s ongoing genocide of Gaza. Many, including Anti-Defamation League
CEO Jonathan Greenblatt, have raised concerns over Generation Z, blaming
social media apps like TikTok for the spread of anti-Zionism.

While a bipartisan measure is currently underway to force the sale of
TikTok to a group of Western investors where it can be more furiously
censored, other measures, such as the recognition of the International
Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s (IHRA) working definition of antisemitism,
has also been floated.

The IHRA definition has been described as incompatible with the First
Amendment, as it lists even mild critiques of Israel as an explicit
antisemitic act. Some Jews have even gone on to suggest that “antisemitism”
be criminalized across the world to protect them from accountability.

The proposed laws in New York closely mirror several other
Republican-hatched hate crime initiatives in the United States, with none
more outrageous than Florida’s current House Bill 269. Signed by Governor
Ron DeSantis during a highly publicized trip to Israel in 2023, the law
gave local law enforcement the ability to issue hate crime “kickers” and
jail time to those accused of even minor infractions, like littering. The
bill has been widely panned as a clear violation of the First Amendment but
has so far gone unchallenged.

In Texas, Republican Governor Greg Abbott signed an executive order to
“punish” so-called antisemitic rhetoric on college campuses. Like the
proposed laws in New York, the order would demand that “all higher
education institutions in Texas review their free speech policies” and
“establish appropriate punishments for antisemitic rhetoric.”

In comments surrounding his executive order, Abbott specifically named the
concept of free speech as “an enemy,” and postulated that his goal was to
“punish” people for their rhetoric.

The move would pale in comparison to that of “anti-woke” Republican North
Dakota Governor, Kristi Noem, who, in March, signed the “strongest hate
crime bill in America” to “protect god’s chosen people.” The bill would
officially recognize the IHRA working definition of antisemitism and
specifically grant Jews “special privileges” in North Dakota.

Efforts to punish those for their First Amendment right to criticize Jews
have already begun to manifest in unexpected places. In Calvert, Maryland,
three middle schoolers were criminally charged over alleged comments made
to a fellow Jewish student. To date, no other race or religious group is
afforded the same level of systemic protection.

Have a story? Please forward any tips or leads to the editors at
justicereporttips@proton.me

<https://justicereport.news/2024/04/01/draconian-new-laws-would-make-it-illegal-to-challenge-israel-in-new-york-state/>

<https://archive.ph/xZFsC>

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<uusv5n$2hm6p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38044&group=alt.politics#38044

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
Subject: Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in
New York State
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 02:07:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 02:07 UTC

On Sat, 06 Apr 24 21:18:40 UTC, D. Ray wrote:

> Powerful Jewish organizations and their leaders have been hard at work
> since October 7th to stamp out a rising tide of “antisemitism” amid
> Israel’s ongoing genocide of Gaza. Many, including Anti-Defamation
> League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt, have raised concerns over Generation Z,
> blaming social media apps like TikTok for the spread of anti-Zionism.

Anti-Zionism ≠ anti-Semitism.

Arabs are Semites, too.

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<dfFCKcSFGqiqpmNbDNvZSQHpayehqIwX@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38049&group=alt.politics#38049

From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 24 13:06:03 UTC
 by: D. Ray - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 13:06 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 24 21:18:40 UTC, D. Ray wrote:
>
>> Powerful Jewish organizations and their leaders have been hard at work
>> since October 7th to stamp out a rising tide of “antisemitism” amid
>> Israel’s ongoing genocide of Gaza. Many, including Anti-Defamation
>> League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt, have raised concerns over Generation Z,
>> blaming social media apps like TikTok for the spread of anti-Zionism.
>
> Anti-Zionism ≠ anti-Semitism.

Greenblatt and his fellow Jews disagree:

“ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt equates anti-Zionist rhetoric with
antisemitism”

<https://www.timesofisrael.com/adl-ceo-jonathan-greenblatt-equates-anti-zionist-rhetoric-with-antisemitism/>

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<uuv1h3$30fkk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38052&group=alt.politics#38052

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
New York State
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:00:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:00 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 24 13:06:03 UTC, D. Ray wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 06 Apr 24 21:18:40 UTC, D. Ray wrote:
>>
>>> Powerful Jewish organizations and their leaders have been hard at work
>>> since October 7th to stamp out a rising tide of “antisemitism” amid
>>> Israel’s ongoing genocide of Gaza. Many, including Anti-Defamation
>>> League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt, have raised concerns over Generation
>>> Z,
>>> blaming social media apps like TikTok for the spread of anti-Zionism.
>>
>> Anti-Zionism ≠ anti-Semitism.
>
> [some random] Jews disagree ...

Most don’t.
<https://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/>
<https://www.ifnotnowmovement.org/>

After all, Arabs are Semites, too.

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<eghlysuAAFDEEwfnWzVfQXkxpIiVwCzQ@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38148&group=alt.politics#38148

Newsgroups: alt.censorship,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 24 00:29:20 UTC
 by: D. Ray - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 00:29 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Apr 24 13:06:03 UTC, D. Ray wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:

>>> Anti-Zionism ≠ anti-Semitism.
>>
>> [some random] Jews disagree ...

Greenblatt is not some random Jew, and same with ADL. Why are you trying to
downplay his importance?

> Most don’t.

You’re wrong:

<https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2021/05/21/u-s-jews-have-widely-differing-views-on-israel/>

> <https://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/>
> <https://www.ifnotnowmovement.org/>

You’ll have to post some proofs that these websites represent most Jews.
Pew Research Center poll state otherwise.

Actually, let’s compare it to Greenblatt’s organization:

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Voice_for_Peace>

Revenue (2021) - $3.9 million
Expenses (2021) - $2.6 million

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Defamation_League>

Revenue (2021) - $101.1 million
Expenses (2021) - $81.5 million
Staff (2021) - 501
Volunteers (2021) - 3,500

Hmm…

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<uva3u3$244as$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38153&group=alt.politics#38153

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.censorship,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
New York State
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 01:48:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 01:48 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 24 00:29:20 UTC, D. Ray wrote:

> Actually, let’s compare it to Greenblatt’s organization:
>
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Voice_for_Peace>
>
> Revenue (2021) - $3.9 million Expenses (2021) - $2.6 million
>
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Defamation_League>
>
> Revenue (2021) - $101.1 million Expenses (2021) - $81.5 million
> Staff (2021) - 501 Volunteers (2021) - 3,500

Ah, so by “speaking for Jews” you actually mean “speaking for dollars”?

That makes it clear where you’re coming from, at any rate ...

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<DnSVdTDGbLUwblWAjgOSfQMUhklpSSOw@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38162&group=alt.politics#38162

From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 24 18:56:43 UTC
 by: D. Ray - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:56 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 24 00:29:20 UTC, D. Ray wrote:
>
>> Actually, let’s compare it to Greenblatt’s organization:
>>
>> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Voice_for_Peace>
>>
>> Revenue (2021) - $3.9 million Expenses (2021) - $2.6 million
>>
>> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Defamation_League>
>>
>> Revenue (2021) - $101.1 million Expenses (2021) - $81.5 million
>> Staff (2021) - 501 Volunteers (2021) - 3,500
>
> Ah, so by “speaking for Jews” you actually mean “speaking for dollars”?

Speaking for Jewish dollars and Jewish political power.

> That makes it clear where you’re coming from, at any rate ...

Evasion noted.

You’re pathetic attempts of pretending to have high moral ground don’t
matter. What matters is who affect policies, money, and votes. Even if you
assume that “Jewish Voice for Peace” is not controlled opposition, in all
three cases it controls nothing because it represents fringe minority of
kikes.

That new law in New York that makes criticism of Israel illegal, did
“Jewish Voice for Peace” lobby for it? Or it was ADL and their buddies? How
come “Jewish Voice” only talk the talk, and ADL walk the walk?

In any case, I don’t really care what “Jewish voice” says. We listened to
“Jewish voices” enough. Time to listen to other people, don’t you think?

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<uvc0vr$ape$2@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38163&group=alt.politics#38163

Followup: uk.legall,ukk.politics.misc,alt.revvisionism,soc.culture.israel
From: not...@home.org (Tall Henry)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:10:51 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: rjac@shell02.TheWorld.com (Quack = SHEIN = Anita = sub-louse nazoid PAEDO Andrew 'Andrzej' Baron)
 by: Tall Henry - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:10 UTC

In article <DnSVdTDGbLUwblWAjgOSfQMUhklpSSOw@news.usenet.farm>,
D. Ray <d@ray> wrote:

[flush]

You're wasting your time posting rubbish, while poor old David
Irving needs help changing his diapers. What has become of
Aryan Brotherhood?

https://irvingbooks.com/blog/support-david-irving/

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<uvch4l$2kbfj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38168&group=alt.politics#38168

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
New York State
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:46:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:46 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 24 18:56:43 UTC, D. Ray wrote:

> You’re pathetic attempts of pretending to have high moral ground don’t
> matter.

Evasion (and bad grammar) noted.

> What matters is who affect policies, money, and votes.

In the US, at any rate, “money” and “votes” tend to be at odds. That’s why
it’s dysfunctional as a democracy.

The vast majority of the world community wants to see justice for
Palestinians. And that includes quite a few Jews, too.

Re: Draconian new laws would make it illegal to challenge Israel in New York State

<20240413122336.3bc2c61d@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38189&group=alt.politics#38189

From: jon...@than.ball (Phil Hendry's Chop shop)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,soc.culture.israel,nz.politics
New York State
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:23:36 -0600
 by: Phil Hendry's C - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:23 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:46:30 -0000 (UTC)
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:

> In the US, at any rate, “money” and “votes” tend to be at odds.
> That’s why it’s dysfunctional as a democrac

See: Uniparty.