From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: "Heart rendering"
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:49:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:49 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:26:18 -0500, Bill Day wrote:

> I was watching news about Ukraine a couple of days ago, and on MSNBC a
> very brave and competent woman reporter on the scene noted that in the
> early hours of the invasion, there were many 'heart rendering' scenes.
> That is just one of many phrases one can hear with clear intent, but
> totally inappropriate usage.
> The one I hear often is "wrecking havoc". I have no idea how to
> instill the correct usages in the public at large.

I have also seen and heard "rend your hearts and not your garments"
rendered as "Render hearts and not your garments."

A case of extraordinary rendition, perhaps?

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: "Heart rendering"

<cn372hdj6d09s2s2fr0pn19njdfvtan4f2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3812&group=alt.english.usage#3812

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 09:26:27 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 16:26 UTC

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:49:22 -0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
<hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:26:18 -0500, Bill Day wrote:
>
>> I was watching news about Ukraine a couple of days ago, and on MSNBC a
>> very brave and competent woman reporter on the scene noted that in the
>> early hours of the invasion, there were many 'heart rendering' scenes.
>> That is just one of many phrases one can hear with clear intent, but
>> totally inappropriate usage.
>> The one I hear often is "wrecking havoc". I have no idea how to
>> instill the correct usages in the public at large.
>

>I have also seen and heard "rend your hearts and not your garments"
>rendered as "Render hearts and not your garments."

I've never heard it, but perhaps someone might say "reindeer hurts and
not your garnets."

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer