Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 11:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Mathematically speaking] The Next Decade Could Be Even Worse
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 18:00 UTC

"The year 2020 has been kind to Turchin, for many of the same reasons it has been hell for the rest of us. Cities on fire, elected leaders endorsing violence, homicides surging—­­to a normal American, these are apocalyptic signs. To Turchin, they indicate that his models, which incorporate thousands of years of data about human history, are working. ...He has been warning for a decade that a few key social and political trends portend an “age of discord,” civil unrest and carnage worse than most Americans have experienced. In 2010, he predicted that the unrest would get serious around 2020, and that it wouldn’t let up until those social and political trends reversed. Havoc at the level of the late 1960s and early ’70s is the best-case scenario; all-out civil war is the worst.

The fundamental problems, he says, are a dark triad of social maladies: a bloated elite class, with too few elite jobs to go around; declining living standards among the general population; and a government that can’t cover its financial positions. His models, which track these factors in other societies across history
The problems are deep and structural—not the type that the tedious process of demo­cratic change can fix in time to forestall mayhem. Turchin likens America to a huge ship headed directly for an iceberg: “If you have a discussion among the crew about which way to turn, you will not turn in time, and you hit the iceberg directly.” The past 10 years or so have been discussion. That sickening crunch you now hear—steel twisting, rivets popping—­­is the sound of the ship hitting the iceberg.

“We are almost guaranteed” five hellish years, Turchin predicts, and likely a decade or more. "

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/12/can-history-predict-future/616993/

Re: [Mathematically speaking] The Next Decade Could Be Even Worse

<6eeb32d1-57a4-4d4f-a613-65f620115ec1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3843&group=soc.culture.china#3843

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 05:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:33 UTC

On Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 2:00:58 PM UTC-4, ltlee1 wrote:
> "The year 2020 has been kind to Turchin, for many of the same reasons it has been hell for the rest of us. Cities on fire, elected leaders endorsing violence, homicides surging—­­to a normal American, these are apocalyptic signs. To Turchin, they indicate that his models, which incorporate thousands of years of data about human history, are working. ...He has been warning for a decade that a few key social and political trends portend an “age of discord,” civil unrest and carnage worse than most Americans have experienced. In 2010, he predicted that the unrest would get serious around 2020, and that it wouldn’t let up until those social and political trends reversed. Havoc at the level of the late 1960s and early ’70s is the best-case scenario; all-out civil war is the worst.
>
> The fundamental problems, he says, are a dark triad of social maladies: a bloated elite class, with too few elite jobs to go around; declining living standards among the general population; and a government that can’t cover its financial positions. His models, which track these factors in other societies across history
> The problems are deep and structural—not the type that the tedious process of demo­cratic change can fix in time to forestall mayhem. Turchin likens America to a huge ship headed directly for an iceberg: “If you have a discussion among the crew about which way to turn, you will not turn in time, and you hit the iceberg directly.” The past 10 years or so have been discussion. That sickening crunch you now hear—steel twisting, rivets popping—­­is the sound of the ship hitting the iceberg.
>
> “We are almost guaranteed” five hellish years, Turchin predicts, and likely a decade or more. "
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/12/can-history-predict-future/616993/

Peter Turchin measures three variables, popular immiseration, elite over production, and state indebtedness.

"Popular immiseration has been increasing for decades. I have written before how shocking it was for me to see such Malthusian indicators of stress as declining life expectancy, which turned down before Covid-19. The epidemic has now delivered a body blow to the well-being of the great majority of the Americans, with life expectancy, employment and incomes, as well as subjective measures of well-being all trending down.

Elite overproduction, and especially overproduction of the youth with advanced degrees, continues unabated. Our institutions of higher education have been churning out law, MBA, and PhD degrees, many more than could be absorbed by the economy. In a Bloomberg View article published just a few days ago Noah Smith provides the numbers for the overproduction of PhDs (America Is Pumping Out Too Many Ph.D.s).

The third structural-demographic force pushing up instability is the state indebtedness. It seems less relevant than the first two, as the U.S., due to its control of the world’s reserve currency, can seemingly print the greenbacks at will (although can this really continue indefinitely?). But the more important level is not the federal one, but that of the states, many of which are getting so cash-strapped that they are forced to reduce their police forces, or unable to hire additional medical personnel that are needed to administer Covid-19 vaccine."

https://peterturchin.com/cliodynamica/the-storming-of-the-u-s-capitol/

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: [Mathematically speaking] The Next Decade Could Be Even Worse