Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: foreign references, object of games
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 14:10:01 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:10 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Foreign references in English

The names of foreign countries, or a corresponding adjective,
often appear as part of an expression in English -- and not always
in a good sense. For example, a prostitute and a sex doll have
both been called a "Dutch wife"; a modern style of coffee maker
has been called a "French press".

We will give you the definition; you give us the phrase involving
the country. Countries may repeat. *Note*: Answers may involve
former countries or, like the examples above, may not use the
country's name directly.

1. A childhood disease.
2. High waistline style.
3. Large colorful sea slug.
4. Cheese sauce over toast.
5. A sweet roll, often for breakfast.
6. A dangerous game involving revolvers.
7. Confrontation between three opponents facing each other.

8. Software that performs a desirable effect and a covert malicious
effect simultaneously.

9. A board game for 2-6 players played on a surface in the shape
of a 6-pointed star.

10. Opportunity for an individual or a party to very easily take
advantage of a situation.

* Game 1, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure - Object of the Game

We give you the objective; you name the game.

1. Be the first person to get around the board, through the Molasses
Swamp, and reach Home Sweet Home.

2. When you reach the final square, identify the image being drawn
by your teammate before your opponents do the same.

3. Be the last person to stack a block without the tower falling
over.

4. Occupy all 42 territories on the board by eliminating your
opponent's armies.

5. To be the person who has acquired the largest fortune in
paintings and cash at the end of the game when all the bank's
paintings have been sold.

6. Be the first to determine how and where the victim was killed,
and who did it.

7. Be the first person to bear off all 15 of your men from your
home board.

8. Be the first person to reach square #100.

9. Solve your opponent's code in fewer moves than it takes your
opponent to solve your code.

10. Once there are no more stones in the hollows, to have more
stones in your store than your opponent has in their store.

--
Mark Brader | "UNIX are quality sectional bookcases, made of solid oak.
Toronto | Open or glass-fronted, in three sizes and three finishes,
| -- Daily Mail Ideal Home Book, 1951-52

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: foreign references, object of games

<0dee0ba8-45e7-40de-ab1f-0142f3b19eb2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3843&group=rec.games.trivia#3843

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 13:38:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 20:38 UTC

On Saturday, April 23, 2022 at 2:10:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Foreign references in English
>
> We will give you the definition; you give us the phrase involving
> the country.
>
> 1. A childhood disease.

German measles

> 4. Cheese sauce over toast.

Welsh rabbit

> 5. A sweet roll, often for breakfast.

Danish pastry

> 6. A dangerous game involving revolvers.

Russian roulette

> 7. Confrontation between three opponents facing each other.

Mexican standoff

> 8. Software that performs a desirable effect and a covert malicious
> effect simultaneously.

Trojan horse

> 9. A board game for 2-6 players played on a surface in the shape
> of a 6-pointed star.

Chinese checkers

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure - Object of the Game
>
> We give you the objective; you name the game.
>
> 1. Be the first person to get around the board, through the Molasses
> Swamp, and reach Home Sweet Home.

Candy Land
> 3. Be the last person to stack a block without the tower falling
> over.

Jenga

> 4. Occupy all 42 territories on the board by eliminating your
> opponent's armies.

Risk

> 6. Be the first to determine how and where the victim was killed,
> and who did it.

Clue

> 7. Be the first person to bear off all 15 of your men from your
> home board.

backgammon

> 8. Be the first person to reach square #100.

Chutes and Ladders

> 9. Solve your opponent's code in fewer moves than it takes your
> opponent to solve your code.

Mastermind

> 10. Once there are no more stones in the hollows, to have more
> stones in your store than your opponent has in their store.

mancala

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: foreign references, object of games

<t41top$gr5$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3844&group=rec.games.trivia#3844

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:14:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:14 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Foreign references in English

> 1. A childhood disease.

German measles

> 2. High waistline style.

Empire waist

> 4. Cheese sauce over toast.

Welsh rarebit

> 5. A sweet roll, often for breakfast.

Danish

> 6. A dangerous game involving revolvers.

Russian roulette

> 7. Confrontation between three opponents facing each other.

Mexican standoff

> 8. Software that performs a desirable effect and a covert malicious
> effect simultaneously.

Trojan horse

> 9. A board game for 2-6 players played on a surface in the shape
> of a 6-pointed star.

Chinese Checkers

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure - Object of the Game

> 1. Be the first person to get around the board, through the Molasses
> Swamp, and reach Home Sweet Home.

Candyland

> 2. When you reach the final square, identify the image being drawn
> by your teammate before your opponents do the same.

Pictionary

> 3. Be the last person to stack a block without the tower falling
> over.

Jenga

> 4. Occupy all 42 territories on the board by eliminating your
> opponent's armies.

Risk

> 5. To be the person who has acquired the largest fortune in
> paintings and cash at the end of the game when all the bank's
> paintings have been sold.

Masterpiece

> 6. Be the first to determine how and where the victim was killed,
> and who did it.

Clue

> 7. Be the first person to bear off all 15 of your men from your
> home board.

Backgammon

> 8. Be the first person to reach square #100.

Chutes and Ladders

> 9. Solve your opponent's code in fewer moves than it takes your
> opponent to solve your code.

Mastermind

> 10. Once there are no more stones in the hollows, to have more
> stones in your store than your opponent has in their store.

Mancala

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: foreign references, object of games

<XnsAE8378DDE19B0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3845&group=rec.games.trivia#3845

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 11:52:54 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:52 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Foreign references in English
>
> 5. A sweet roll, often for breakfast.

Danish pastry

> 6. A dangerous game involving revolvers.

Russian roulette

> 7. Confrontation between three opponents facing each other.

Mexican standoff
> 8. Software that performs a desirable effect and a covert malicious
> effect simultaneously.

Troyan
> 9. A board game for 2-6 players played on a surface in the shape
> of a 6-pointed star.

China chess
> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure - Object of the Game
>
> 4. Occupy all 42 territories on the board by eliminating your
> opponent's armies.

Risk
> 6. Be the first to determine how and where the victim was killed,
> and who did it.

Cluedo

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: foreign references, object of games

<t479io$ioc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3846&group=rec.games.trivia#3846

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: foreign references, object of
games
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:07:04 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:07 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Foreign references in English
>
> The names of foreign countries, or a corresponding adjective,
> often appear as part of an expression in English -- and not always
> in a good sense. For example, a prostitute and a sex doll have
> both been called a "Dutch wife"; a modern style of coffee maker
> has been called a "French press".
>
> We will give you the definition; you give us the phrase involving
> the country. Countries may repeat. *Note*: Answers may involve
> former countries or, like the examples above, may not use the
> country's name directly.
>
> 1. A childhood disease.
> 2. High waistline style.
> 3. Large colorful sea slug.
> 4. Cheese sauce over toast.

Hollandaise

> 5. A sweet roll, often for breakfast.

Danish

> 6. A dangerous game involving revolvers.

Russian roulette

> 7. Confrontation between three opponents facing each other.

Mexican standoff

> 8. Software that performs a desirable effect and a covert malicious
> effect simultaneously.

Trojan horse

> 9. A board game for 2-6 players played on a surface in the shape
> of a 6-pointed star.

Chinese checkers

> 10. Opportunity for an individual or a party to very easily take
> advantage of a situation. >
>
> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure - Object of the Game
>
> We give you the objective; you name the game.
>
> 1. Be the first person to get around the board, through the Molasses
> Swamp, and reach Home Sweet Home.

Candyland

> 2. When you reach the final square, identify the image being drawn
> by your teammate before your opponents do the same.

Pictionary

> 3. Be the last person to stack a block without the tower falling
> over.

Jenga

> 4. Occupy all 42 territories on the board by eliminating your
> opponent's armies.

Risk

> 5. To be the person who has acquired the largest fortune in
> paintings and cash at the end of the game when all the bank's
> paintings have been sold.
>
> 6. Be the first to determine how and where the victim was killed,
> and who did it.

Clue

> 7. Be the first person to bear off all 15 of your men from your
> home board.

Backgammon

> 8. Be the first person to reach square #100.
>
> 9. Solve your opponent's code in fewer moves than it takes your
> opponent to solve your code.

Battleship

> 10. Once there are no more stones in the hollows, to have more
> stones in your store than your opponent has in their store.

Mancala

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6: foreign references, object of games

<t494q6$e1p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3847&group=rec.games.trivia#3847

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
games
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 08:57:55 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:57 UTC

On 4/23/22 12:10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Foreign references in English
>
> The names of foreign countries, or a corresponding adjective,
> often appear as part of an expression in English -- and not always
> in a good sense. For example, a prostitute and a sex doll have
> both been called a "Dutch wife"; a modern style of coffee maker
> has been called a "French press".
>
> We will give you the definition; you give us the phrase involving
> the country. Countries may repeat. *Note*: Answers may involve
> former countries or, like the examples above, may not use the
> country's name directly.
>
> 1. A childhood disease.

German measles

> 2. High waistline style.
> 3. Large colorful sea slug.
> 4. Cheese sauce over toast.

Welsh rarebit

> 5. A sweet roll, often for breakfast.

Danish pastry

> 6. A dangerous game involving revolvers.

Russian roulette

> 7. Confrontation between three opponents facing each other.

Mexican standoff

> 8. Software that performs a desirable effect and a covert malicious
> effect simultaneously.

Trojan horse

> 9. A board game for 2-6 players played on a surface in the shape
> of a 6-pointed star.

Chinese checkers

> 10. Opportunity for an individual or a party to very easily take
> advantage of a situation.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure - Object of the Game
>
> We give you the objective; you name the game.
>
> 1. Be the first person to get around the board, through the Molasses
> Swamp, and reach Home Sweet Home.

Candyland

> 2. When you reach the final square, identify the image being drawn
> by your teammate before your opponents do the same.
>
> 3. Be the last person to stack a block without the tower falling
> over.
>
> 4. Occupy all 42 territories on the board by eliminating your
> opponent's armies.

Risk

> 5. To be the person who has acquired the largest fortune in
> paintings and cash at the end of the game when all the bank's
> paintings have been sold.
>
> 6. Be the first to determine how and where the victim was killed,
> and who did it.

Clue

> 7. Be the first person to bear off all 15 of your men from your
> home board.

Backgammon

> 8. Be the first person to reach square #100.
>
> 9. Solve your opponent's code in fewer moves than it takes your
> opponent to solve your code.
>
> 10. Once there are no more stones in the hollows, to have more
> stones in your store than your opponent has in their store.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: foreign references, object of games

<feOdnZXij7KytfX_nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3848&group=rec.games.trivia#3848

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: foreign references, object of games
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:13:19 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:13 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Geography - Foreign references in English

> The names of foreign countries, or a corresponding adjective,
> often appear as part of an expression in English -- and not always
> in a good sense. For example, a prostitute and a sex doll have
> both been called a "Dutch wife"; a modern style of coffee maker
> has been called a "French press".

> We will give you the definition; you give us the phrase involving
> the country. Countries may repeat. *Note*: Answers may involve
> former countries or, like the examples above, may not use the
> country's name directly.

> 1. A childhood disease.

German measles. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. High waistline style.

French (Empire) cut. I think "Empire" alone was accepted in the
original game; anyway, I'm accepting it. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Large colorful sea slug.

Spanish dancer. See:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IQNCMHJukEc/TrH3AfGV4eI/AAAAAAAAAug/Rf8joiCqyjA/s800/spanish_dancer.jpg

> 4. Cheese sauce over toast.

Welsh rarebit (or rabbit). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. A sweet roll, often for breakfast.

Toasted Danish. I accepted Danish (the usual term in my experience)
or Danish pastry. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. A dangerous game involving revolvers.

Russian roulette. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Confrontation between three opponents facing each other.

Mexican standoff. 4 for everyone.

The term is also used for situations that do not involve three
opponents but that are in some way analogous; Wikipedia has
a decent discussion.

> 8. Software that performs a desirable effect and a covert malicious
> effect simultaneously.

Trojan horse. I accepted "Trojan". 4 for everyone.

> 9. A board game for 2-6 players played on a surface in the shape
> of a 6-pointed star.

Chinese checkers. I did not accept "China chess" as a translation
from Swedish; I would have if this question had occurred in the
following round, but this round asked specifically for expressions
used in English. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Opportunity for an individual or a party to very easily take
> advantage of a situation.

Turkey shoot.

Yes, this one is about the bird, but the bird is named after the
country, so it's an indirect reference.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure - Object of the Game

> We give you the objective; you name the game.

As well as other names for the given games, which some people gave,
I was prepared to accept additional answers if there were other
games fitting the descriptions, but there weren't any. Sheesh --
didn't *anybody* ever play Blockhead?

> 1. Be the first person to get around the board, through the Molasses
> Swamp, and reach Home Sweet Home.

Candyland. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. When you reach the final square, identify the image being drawn
> by your teammate before your opponents do the same.

Pictionary. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 3. Be the last person to stack a block without the tower falling
> over.

Jenga. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 4. Occupy all 42 territories on the board by eliminating your
> opponent's armies.

Risk. 4 for everyone.

> 5. To be the person who has acquired the largest fortune in
> paintings and cash at the end of the game when all the bank's
> paintings have been sold.

Masterpiece. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Be the first to determine how and where the victim was killed,
> and who did it.

Clue (aka Cluedo). 4 for everyone.

> 7. Be the first person to bear off all 15 of your men from your
> home board.

Backgammon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Be the first person to reach square #100.

Snakes and ladders (aka chutes and ladders, etc.). 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 9. Solve your opponent's code in fewer moves than it takes your
> opponent to solve your code.

Mastermind. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. Once there are no more stones in the hollows, to have more
> stones in your store than your opponent has in their store.

Mancala (aka kalah, etc.). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Lit Geo Spo
Dan Blum 4 40 32 40 116
Joshua Kreitzer 9 32 28 32 101
Dan Tilque 0 28 28 16 72
Pete Gayde 3 12 20 28 63
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 16 8 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "History will be kind to me, for I intend
msb@vex.net to write it." -- Churchill