Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:25:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: 1 poor Champagne, but other was good, as were CA and German wines
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:25 UTC

First night of Hanukkah, and a nice group of 9 gathered at our house. Antipasto and Torres truffle chips, then to table for latkes (applesauce, sour cream, ikura, and Korean radish kimchi were toppings), brisket, salad and more.

NV Emile Paris Reserve Personelle Brut Champagne
Well, this was cheap. And it shows. High dosage, rather heavy handed with ripe apple (bordering on apples on the ground), cinnamon, toast. C+

NV Gosset Grande Reserve Brut Champagne
Pears, caraway, pumpernickel, fine mousse, precise. B+

2008 JJ Prum Bernastler Badstube Kabinett
Citrus and apple, nice acids, just enough sugar to balance the acids and match with the applesauce. In a good place, not the most complex, but really good. B+

1986 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow Cabernet Sauvignon
Black raspberry and cassis, touch of bell pepper, cigar smoke, still a touch of chewy tannin. Nicely balanced (listed at 12.5% ) and pretty fresh. B+/A-

2008 Rhys “Alpine” Pinot Noir
Still young, some tannin, good acidic balance, black cherry and rose petals, brambly, no cherry cola in sight. Could use a bit more time but I enjoy. B+

Fun night with good conversation , dreidel spinning (to a stop watch as it seemed weighted), good people.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.