I am what you will be; I was what you are.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firsts

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firstsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firstsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firstsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firstsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firstsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firstsDan Tilque
`* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firstsMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firstsMark Brader
  `- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firstsErland Sommarskog

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<sZWdnXNEW-SEufH_nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3856&group=rec.games.trivia#3856

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firsts
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:44:57 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:44 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 1, Round 9 - Science - Astronomical Terms

1. What type of object has gravity so strong that the escape
velocity exceeds the speed of light?

2. What do we call a celestial object that emits radio waves with
a high degree of regularity?

3. What is a bolide?

4. What term do we give to a sudden eruption of energy on the
solar disk from which radiation and particles are emitted?

5. What is a nebula made of?

6. What term do we give a mass of stone or metal that has reached
the earth from outer space?

7. What do we call the glow in a planet's ionosphere caused by
the interaction between the magnetic field and particles that
have been charged by the Sun?

8. What is a parsec? Be specific.

9. Hubble's Law states that the velocity of recession of distant
galaxies from our own is proportional to what?

10. What name do we give to celestial objects whose large red
shift and apparent brightness imply extreme distance and huge
energy output?

** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge - Challenging Firsts

* A. Literature: Debut Novels

A1. Give the name of the 2004 first novel of Mark Haddon,
the story of an autistic boy wrongfully accused of killing
a neighbor's pet.

A2. Give the name of Sue Monk Kidd's 2003 debut novel. Set in
South Carolina in 1964, it tells the story of Lily Owens
trying to discover the truth about her mother's death.

* B. Science: Pioneers of Archaeology

B1. Name the pioneering French archeologist who first deciphered
the Rosetta Stone and realized the importance of the King
List scroll to date early Egyptian times. His book "Précis
du Système Hiéroglyphique" gave birth to the entire field
of modern Egyptian study, and so he is referred to as the
"Father of Egyptology".

B2. Two men are often referred to as the "Father of Modern
Archaeology". One is the German who discovered and excavated
the remains of Troy, thus showing that ancient epics could
reflect actual events. The other is the Englishman who
developed many processes now in common use: painstaking
recording of facts; non-destructive, non-intrusive gentle
excavation techniques; etc. He developed pottery seriation
to date civilizations, and discovered the important
Merneptah stele. Name *either* man.

* C. Geography: 1st-Level National Divisions

C1. Japan does not have states or provinces; name the divisions
it has instead.

C2. Barbados does not have states or provinces; it has these
divisions instead, which were based on the locations of
churches. What are they called?

* D. History: First in Space

D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
What country?

D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
the previous question. Anzr gur lrne gung gur svefg Pnanqvna
jrag vagb fcnpr, jvguva 1.

* E. Entertainment: One-Named Female Singers

E1. Name the one-named Colombian singer whose song "Whenever,
Wherever" was the global #1 best-selling single in 2002.
She sang to open both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup Final
games.

E2. Name the one-named Irish singer who had a best-selling album
with "Watermark" in 1998, featuring the single "Orinoco
Flow".

* F. Sports: NCAA Division 1 Football Team Names

*Note*: Since NCAA's own web site doesn't list team names,
this question has been updated with information from Wikipedia.
The answers now are the same as in 2012 anyway.

F1. The most common name among Division 1 football teams is
used by such teams as Yale, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi
State, and South Carolina State. What is it?

F2. The next most popular name among Division 1 football teams
is used by 11 of them, including Memphis, Clemson, and
Princeton. What is it?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The English future is very confusing!
msb@vex.net (This is not a political statement.)"

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<XnsAE88CBA46D6F6Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3857&group=rec.games.trivia#3857

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:01:07 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:01 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Science - Astronomical Terms
>
> 1. What type of object has gravity so strong that the escape
> velocity exceeds the speed of light?

Black hole
> 2. What do we call a celestial object that emits radio waves with
> a high degree of regularity?

Pulsar
> 4. What term do we give to a sudden eruption of energy on the
> solar disk from which radiation and particles are emitted?

Solar flare
> 5. What is a nebula made of?

Hydrogen gas
> 6. What term do we give a mass of stone or metal that has reached
> the earth from outer space?

Meteor
> 8. What is a parsec? Be specific.

It's length unit, longer than a light year, hm 3.1 light years?

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge - Challenging Firsts
>
> * C. Geography: 1st-Level National Divisions
>
> C1. Japan does not have states or provinces; name the divisions
> it has instead.

Prefectures
> C2. Barbados does not have states or provinces; it has these
> divisions instead, which were based on the locations of
> churches. What are they called?

Parishes?
> * D. History: First in Space
>
> D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
> two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
> Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
> What country?

Czechoslovakia
> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Anzr gur lrne gung gur svefg Pnanqvna
> jrag vagb fcnpr, jvguva 1.

1981
> * E. Entertainment: One-Named Female Singers
>
> E1. Name the one-named Colombian singer whose song "Whenever,
> Wherever" was the global #1 best-selling single in 2002.
> She sang to open both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup Final
> games.

Shakira
> E2. Name the one-named Irish singer who had a best-selling album
> with "Watermark" in 1998, featuring the single "Orinoco
> Flow".

Enya

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<t4hob0$7ko$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3858&group=rec.games.trivia#3858

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:20:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:20 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Science - Astronomical Terms

> 1. What type of object has gravity so strong that the escape
> velocity exceeds the speed of light?

black hole

> 2. What do we call a celestial object that emits radio waves with
> a high degree of regularity?

pulsar

> 4. What term do we give to a sudden eruption of energy on the
> solar disk from which radiation and particles are emitted?

solar flare

> 5. What is a nebula made of?

gas

> 6. What term do we give a mass of stone or metal that has reached
> the earth from outer space?

meteorite

> 7. What do we call the glow in a planet's ionosphere caused by
> the interaction between the magnetic field and particles that
> have been charged by the Sun?

aurora

> 8. What is a parsec? Be specific.

parallel arc second

> 9. Hubble's Law states that the velocity of recession of distant
> galaxies from our own is proportional to what?

their distance from us

> 10. What name do we give to celestial objects whose large red
> shift and apparent brightness imply extreme distance and huge
> energy output?

quasar

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge - Challenging Firsts

> * A. Literature: Debut Novels

> A1. Give the name of the 2004 first novel of Mark Haddon,
> the story of an autistic boy wrongfully accused of killing
> a neighbor's pet.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

> A2. Give the name of Sue Monk Kidd's 2003 debut novel. Set in
> South Carolina in 1964, it tells the story of Lily Owens
> trying to discover the truth about her mother's death.

The Beekeeper

> * B. Science: Pioneers of Archaeology

> B1. Name the pioneering French archeologist who first deciphered
> the Rosetta Stone and realized the importance of the King
> List scroll to date early Egyptian times. His book "Pr?cis
> du Syst?me Hi?roglyphique" gave birth to the entire field
> of modern Egyptian study, and so he is referred to as the
> "Father of Egyptology".

Champollion

> B2. Two men are often referred to as the "Father of Modern
> Archaeology". One is the German who discovered and excavated
> the remains of Troy, thus showing that ancient epics could
> reflect actual events. The other is the Englishman who
> developed many processes now in common use: painstaking
> recording of facts; non-destructive, non-intrusive gentle
> excavation techniques; etc. He developed pottery seriation
> to date civilizations, and discovered the important
> Merneptah stele. Name *either* man.

Schliemann

> * C. Geography: 1st-Level National Divisions

> C1. Japan does not have states or provinces; name the divisions
> it has instead.

prefectures

> C2. Barbados does not have states or provinces; it has these
> divisions instead, which were based on the locations of
> churches. What are they called?

parishes

> * D. History: First in Space

> D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
> two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
> Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
> What country?

Czechoslovakia; Bulgaria

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Anzr gur lrne gung gur svefg Pnanqvna
> jrag vagb fcnpr, jvguva 1.

1984

> * E. Entertainment: One-Named Female Singers

> E2. Name the one-named Irish singer who had a best-selling album
> with "Watermark" in 1998, featuring the single "Orinoco
> Flow".

Enya

> * F. Sports: NCAA Division 1 Football Team Names

> F1. The most common name among Division 1 football teams is
> used by such teams as Yale, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi
> State, and South Carolina State. What is it?

Bulldogs

> F2. The next most popular name among Division 1 football teams
> is used by 11 of them, including Memphis, Clemson, and
> Princeton. What is it?

Tigers

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<t4hs60$14sq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3859&group=rec.games.trivia#3859

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:25:53 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 23:25 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Science - Astronomical Terms
>
> 1. What type of object has gravity so strong that the escape
> velocity exceeds the speed of light?

Black hole

> 2. What do we call a celestial object that emits radio waves with
> a high degree of regularity?

Pulsar

> 3. What is a bolide?
>
> 4. What term do we give to a sudden eruption of energy on the
> solar disk from which radiation and particles are emitted?

Solar flare

> 5. What is a nebula made of?

Star dust

> 6. What term do we give a mass of stone or metal that has reached
> the earth from outer space?

Meteor

> 7. What do we call the glow in a planet's ionosphere caused by
> the interaction between the magnetic field and particles that
> have been charged by the Sun?
>
> 8. What is a parsec? Be specific.

A unit of distance equal to 10 light years; A unit of distance equal to
5 light years

> 9. Hubble's Law states that the velocity of recession of distant
> galaxies from our own is proportional to what?

Time

> 10. What name do we give to celestial objects whose large red
> shift and apparent brightness imply extreme distance and huge
> energy output?
>

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge - Challenging Firsts
>
> * A. Literature: Debut Novels
>
> A1. Give the name of the 2004 first novel of Mark Haddon,
> the story of an autistic boy wrongfully accused of killing
> a neighbor's pet.
>
> A2. Give the name of Sue Monk Kidd's 2003 debut novel. Set in
> South Carolina in 1964, it tells the story of Lily Owens
> trying to discover the truth about her mother's death.
>

> * B. Science: Pioneers of Archaeology
>
> B1. Name the pioneering French archeologist who first deciphered
> the Rosetta Stone and realized the importance of the King
> List scroll to date early Egyptian times. His book "Précis
> du Système Hiéroglyphique" gave birth to the entire field
> of modern Egyptian study, and so he is referred to as the
> "Father of Egyptology".
>
> B2. Two men are often referred to as the "Father of Modern
> Archaeology". One is the German who discovered and excavated
> the remains of Troy, thus showing that ancient epics could
> reflect actual events. The other is the Englishman who
> developed many processes now in common use: painstaking
> recording of facts; non-destructive, non-intrusive gentle
> excavation techniques; etc. He developed pottery seriation
> to date civilizations, and discovered the important
> Merneptah stele. Name *either* man.

Humboldt

> * C. Geography: 1st-Level National Divisions
>
> C1. Japan does not have states or provinces; name the divisions
> it has instead.

Prefectures

> C2. Barbados does not have states or provinces; it has these
> divisions instead, which were based on the locations of
> churches. What are they called?

Parishes

> * D. History: First in Space
>
> D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
> two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
> Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
> What country?

Poland; Hungary

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Anzr gur lrne gung gur svefg Pnanqvna
> jrag vagb fcnpr, jvguva 1.

1985; 1988

> * E. Entertainment: One-Named Female Singers
>
> E1. Name the one-named Colombian singer whose song "Whenever,
> Wherever" was the global #1 best-selling single in 2002.
> She sang to open both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup Final
> games.
>
> E2. Name the one-named Irish singer who had a best-selling album
> with "Watermark" in 1998, featuring the single "Orinoco
> Flow".

Enya

> * F. Sports: NCAA Division 1 Football Team Names
>
> *Note*: Since NCAA's own web site doesn't list team names,
> this question has been updated with information from Wikipedia.
> The answers now are the same as in 2012 anyway.
>
> F1. The most common name among Division 1 football teams is
> used by such teams as Yale, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi
> State, and South Carolina State. What is it?

Bulldogs

> F2. The next most popular name among Division 1 football teams
> is used by 11 of them, including Memphis, Clemson, and
> Princeton. What is it?

Tigers

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<d3b24956-5afa-4ec9-841e-fb9e5343ca7cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3860&group=rec.games.trivia#3860

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:04 UTC

On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 12:45:03 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Science - Astronomical Terms
>
> 1. What type of object has gravity so strong that the escape
> velocity exceeds the speed of light?

black hole
> 2. What do we call a celestial object that emits radio waves with
> a high degree of regularity?

pulsar

> 4. What term do we give to a sudden eruption of energy on the
> solar disk from which radiation and particles are emitted?

nova
> 5. What is a nebula made of?

dust

> 6. What term do we give a mass of stone or metal that has reached
> the earth from outer space?

meteorite

> 8. What is a parsec? Be specific.

a unit of distance
> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge - Challenging Firsts
>
> * A. Literature: Debut Novels
>
> A1. Give the name of the 2004 first novel of Mark Haddon,
> the story of an autistic boy wrongfully accused of killing
> a neighbor's pet.

"The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-Time"
> A2. Give the name of Sue Monk Kidd's 2003 debut novel. Set in
> South Carolina in 1964, it tells the story of Lily Owens
> trying to discover the truth about her mother's death.

"The Secret Life of Bees"

> * B. Science: Pioneers of Archaeology
>
> B1. Name the pioneering French archeologist who first deciphered
> the Rosetta Stone and realized the importance of the King
> List scroll to date early Egyptian times. His book "Précis
> du Système Hiéroglyphique" gave birth to the entire field
> of modern Egyptian study, and so he is referred to as the
> "Father of Egyptology".

Champoillon

> B2. Two men are often referred to as the "Father of Modern
> Archaeology". One is the German who discovered and excavated
> the remains of Troy, thus showing that ancient epics could
> reflect actual events. The other is the Englishman who
> developed many processes now in common use: painstaking
> recording of facts; non-destructive, non-intrusive gentle
> excavation techniques; etc. He developed pottery seriation
> to date civilizations, and discovered the important
> Merneptah stele. Name *either* man.

Schlichter
> * C. Geography: 1st-Level National Divisions
>
> C1. Japan does not have states or provinces; name the divisions
> it has instead.

prefectures

> C2. Barbados does not have states or provinces; it has these
> divisions instead, which were based on the locations of
> churches. What are they called?

parishes

> * D. History: First in Space
>
> D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
> two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
> Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
> What country?

Czechoslovakia; Poland

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Anzr gur lrne gung gur svefg Pnanqvna
> jrag vagb fcnpr, jvguva 1.

1984; 1987

> * E. Entertainment: One-Named Female Singers
>
> E1. Name the one-named Colombian singer whose song "Whenever,
> Wherever" was the global #1 best-selling single in 2002.
> She sang to open both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup Final
> games.

Shakira

> E2. Name the one-named Irish singer who had a best-selling album
> with "Watermark" in 1998, featuring the single "Orinoco
> Flow".

Enya

> * F. Sports: NCAA Division 1 Football Team Names
>
> *Note*: Since NCAA's own web site doesn't list team names,
> this question has been updated with information from Wikipedia.
> The answers now are the same as in 2012 anyway.
>
> F1. The most common name among Division 1 football teams is
> used by such teams as Yale, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi
> State, and South Carolina State. What is it?

Bulldogs

> F2. The next most popular name among Division 1 football teams
> is used by 11 of them, including Memphis, Clemson, and
> Princeton. What is it?

Tigers

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<t4lcr5$la7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3861&group=rec.games.trivia#3861

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 00:28:34 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 1 May 2022 07:28 UTC

On 4/29/22 10:44, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Science - Astronomical Terms
>
> 1. What type of object has gravity so strong that the escape
> velocity exceeds the speed of light?

black hole

> 2. What do we call a celestial object that emits radio waves with
> a high degree of regularity?

pulsar

> 3. What is a bolide?

meteor that explodes in the air

> 4. What term do we give to a sudden eruption of energy on the
> solar disk from which radiation and particles are emitted?

solar flare

> 5. What is a nebula made of?

very tenuous gas and dust

> 6. What term do we give a mass of stone or metal that has reached
> the earth from outer space?

meteorite

> 7. What do we call the glow in a planet's ionosphere caused by
> the interaction between the magnetic field and particles that
> have been charged by the Sun?

aurora

> 8. What is a parsec? Be specific.

the distance a star would be at if its parallax was exactly one second
of arc (3.26 light years)

> 9. Hubble's Law states that the velocity of recession of distant
> galaxies from our own is proportional to what?

their distance

> 10. What name do we give to celestial objects whose large red
> shift and apparent brightness imply extreme distance and huge
> energy output?

quasars

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge - Challenging Firsts
>
> * A. Literature: Debut Novels
>
> A1. Give the name of the 2004 first novel of Mark Haddon,
> the story of an autistic boy wrongfully accused of killing
> a neighbor's pet.
>
> A2. Give the name of Sue Monk Kidd's 2003 debut novel. Set in
> South Carolina in 1964, it tells the story of Lily Owens
> trying to discover the truth about her mother's death.
>

> * B. Science: Pioneers of Archaeology
>
> B1. Name the pioneering French archeologist who first deciphered
> the Rosetta Stone and realized the importance of the King
> List scroll to date early Egyptian times. His book "Précis
> du Système Hiéroglyphique" gave birth to the entire field
> of modern Egyptian study, and so he is referred to as the
> "Father of Egyptology".
>
> B2. Two men are often referred to as the "Father of Modern
> Archaeology". One is the German who discovered and excavated
> the remains of Troy, thus showing that ancient epics could
> reflect actual events. The other is the Englishman who
> developed many processes now in common use: painstaking
> recording of facts; non-destructive, non-intrusive gentle
> excavation techniques; etc. He developed pottery seriation
> to date civilizations, and discovered the important
> Merneptah stele. Name *either* man.

Schliemann

> * C. Geography: 1st-Level National Divisions
>
> C1. Japan does not have states or provinces; name the divisions
> it has instead.

prefecture

> C2. Barbados does not have states or provinces; it has these
> divisions instead, which were based on the locations of
> churches. What are they called?

parishes

> * D. History: First in Space
>
> D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
> two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
> Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
> What country?

Bulgaria

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Anzr gur lrne gung gur svefg Pnanqvna
> jrag vagb fcnpr, jvguva 1.

1980

> * E. Entertainment: One-Named Female Singers
>
> E1. Name the one-named Colombian singer whose song "Whenever,
> Wherever" was the global #1 best-selling single in 2002.
> She sang to open both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup Final
> games.
>
> E2. Name the one-named Irish singer who had a best-selling album
> with "Watermark" in 1998, featuring the single "Orinoco
> Flow".
>

> * F. Sports: NCAA Division 1 Football Team Names
>
> *Note*: Since NCAA's own web site doesn't list team names,
> this question has been updated with information from Wikipedia.
> The answers now are the same as in 2012 anyway.
>
> F1. The most common name among Division 1 football teams is
> used by such teams as Yale, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi
> State, and South Carolina State. What is it?

Bulldogs

> F2. The next most popular name among Division 1 football teams
> is used by 11 of them, including Memphis, Clemson, and
> Princeton. What is it?

Tigers

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<4aednRPnh-x5EO3_nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3862&group=rec.games.trivia#3862

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firsts
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 21:05:24 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 3 May 2022 02:05 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-04-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and the winner is DAN BLUM. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Science - Astronomical Terms

> 1. What type of object has gravity so strong that the escape
> velocity exceeds the speed of light?

Black hole. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. What do we call a celestial object that emits radio waves with
> a high degree of regularity?

Pulsar. 4 for everyone.

> 3. What is a bolide?

An exploding or exceptionally bright meteor. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 4. What term do we give to a sudden eruption of energy on the
> solar disk from which radiation and particles are emitted?

Flare. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What is a nebula made of?

The answer originally expected was "dust and gas". A number
of sources say this is correct, but others say "dust *or* gas".
I'm accepting "dust", "gas", "hydrogen", or any combination of these.
Since the dust comes from stars, I also accepted "star dust".
4 for everyone.

> 6. What term do we give a mass of stone or metal that has reached
> the earth from outer space?

Meteorite. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

It's only a meteor while it's passing through the atmosphere.

> 7. What do we call the glow in a planet's ionosphere caused by
> the interaction between the magnetic field and particles that
> have been charged by the Sun?

An aurora. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 8. What is a parsec? Be specific.

A unit of length, equal to about 3.26 light years, and defined as
the distance from the Earth at which an object is seen to have a
parallax of 1 second of arc due to the Earth's orbit around the sun.
(Either the length or something resembling the correct definition was
required, but in accordance with the original game, if the length is
given then I am accepting an asymmetrical range of 3-4 light years.)
4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Hubble's Law states that the velocity of recession of distant
> galaxies from our own is proportional to what?

Their distance from our galaxy. I accepted any reference to distance
from here, and reluctantly accepted plain "distance" as well.
4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 10. What name do we give to celestial objects whose large red
> shift and apparent brightness imply extreme distance and huge
> energy output?

Quasar. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge - Challenging Firsts

> * A. Literature: Debut Novels

> A1. Give the name of the 2004 first novel of Mark Haddon,
> the story of an autistic boy wrongfully accused of killing
> a neighbor's pet.

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". 4 for Dan Blum.
3 for Joshua.

> A2. Give the name of Sue Monk Kidd's 2003 debut novel. Set in
> South Carolina in 1964, it tells the story of Lily Owens
> trying to discover the truth about her mother's death.

"The Secret Life of Bees". 4 for Joshua.

> * B. Science: Pioneers of Archaeology

> B1. Name the pioneering French archeologist who first deciphered
> the Rosetta Stone and realized the importance of the King
> List scroll to date early Egyptian times. His book "Précis
> du Système Hiéroglyphique" gave birth to the entire field
> of modern Egyptian study, and so he is referred to as the
> "Father of Egyptology".

Jean-François Champollion. I accepted "Champoillon". 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

> B2. Two men are often referred to as the "Father of Modern
> Archaeology". One is the German who discovered and excavated
> the remains of Troy, thus showing that ancient epics could
> reflect actual events. The other is the Englishman who
> developed many processes now in common use: painstaking
> recording of facts; non-destructive, non-intrusive gentle
> excavation techniques; etc. He developed pottery seriation
> to date civilizations, and discovered the important
> Merneptah stele. Name *either* man.

Heinrich Schliemann, Flinders Petrie. "Schlichter" was not quite
close enough to accept. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Geography: 1st-Level National Divisions

> C1. Japan does not have states or provinces; name the divisions
> it has instead.

Prefectures. 4 for everyone.

> C2. Barbados does not have states or provinces; it has these
> divisions instead, which were based on the locations of
> churches. What are they called?

Parishes. 4 for everyone.

> * D. History: First in Space

> D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
> two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
> Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
> What country?

Czechoslovakia. 4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Name the year that the first Canadian
> went into space, within 1.

1984 (accepting 1983-85). (Marc Garneau.) 4 for Dan Blum.
3 for Pete and Joshua.

> * E. Entertainment: One-Named Female Singers

> E1. Name the one-named Colombian singer whose song "Whenever,
> Wherever" was the global #1 best-selling single in 2002.
> She sang to open both the 2006 and 2010 World Cup Final
> games.

Shakira. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> E2. Name the one-named Irish singer who had a best-selling album
> with "Watermark" in 1998, featuring the single "Orinoco
> Flow".

Enya. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> * F. Sports: NCAA Division 1 Football Team Names

> *Note*: Since NCAA's own web site doesn't list team names,
> this question has been updated with information from Wikipedia.
> The answers now are the same as in 2012 anyway.

> F1. The most common name among Division 1 football teams is
> used by such teams as Yale, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi
> State, and South Carolina State. What is it?

Bulldogs. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

There are 12 -- the others are Alabama A&M, Bryant, Butler, the Citadel,
Drake, Fresno State, Georgia, and Samford.

> F2. The next most popular name among Division 1 football teams
> is used by 11 of them, including Memphis, Clemson, and
> Princeton. What is it?

Tigers. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

The others are Auburn, Grambling, Jackson State, Louisiana State,
Missouri, Tennessee State, Texas Southern, and Towson.

Third most common is Wildcats with 10 teams, then Bears with 7,
then Panthers and Eagles with 6 each. The most common non-animal
name is Aggies with 5 teams.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Lit Geo Spo Ent Mis Sci Cha SIX
Dan Blum 4 40 32 40 32 28 32 39 215
Joshua Kreitzer 9 32 28 32 32 32 16 41 197
Dan Tilque 0 28 28 16 8 12 40 20 144
Pete Gayde 3 12 20 28 20 28 16 23 135
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 16 8 0 8 20 20 76

--
Mark Brader | "This is a moral that runs at large;
Toronto | Take it. -- You're welcome. -- No extra charge."

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<aaadnXNgbfZqtO7_nZ2dnUU7-KHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3869&group=rec.games.trivia#3869

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 20:35:51 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:35 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
> > two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
> > Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
> > What country?
>
> Czechoslovakia. 4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Incidentally, a multiple-choice version of this question came up
on yesterday's episode of ABC's version of "The Chase". Both the
contestant and the chaser correctly picked Czech from the choices,
although one of them assumed the country was the Czech Republic.
--
Mark Brader | "Perl is a minimalist language at heart.
Toronto | It's just minimalistic about weird things

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: astronomy, challenge of firsts

<XnsAE8ED8D2762EYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3870&group=rec.games.trivia#3870

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 21:18:52 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 5 May 2022 19:18 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> > D1. The Soviet Union and the United States were the first
>> > two countries to have citizens in space. In 1978 Vladimir
>> > Remek became the first citizen of a third country into space.
>> > What country?
>>
>> Czechoslovakia. 4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Blum and Joshua.
>
> Incidentally, a multiple-choice version of this question came up
> on yesterday's episode of ABC's version of "The Chase". Both the
> contestant and the chaser correctly picked Czech from the choices,
> although one of them assumed the country was the Czech Republic.

Oh-oh, a small brainfart there. Actually, I think my first thought
was the same, but an internal alarm fired and corrected me.

By the way, I did not know the answer, but Remek sounds like a very
Czech name to me. Or for that matter a Slovak.