If you continually give you will continually have.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparksMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparksDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparksJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparksPete Gayde
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: halls of fame, ballparksMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparksDan Tilque
 `- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparksMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks

<V9ydnXGZ05DbO-n_nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3872&group=rec.games.trivia#3872

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 23:38:30 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 6 May 2022 04:38 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Halls of Fame by Location

Given a location, and maybe another hint, identify the Hall of
Fame located there.

1. Canton, OH.
2. Cleveland, OH.
3. Nashville, TN.
4. Cooperstown, NY.
5. Memphis, TN. Inductees include Albert Collins.
6. 1333 Dorval Drive, Oakville, ON. Opened in 1972.
7. Tim Horton's Field, 64 Melrose Av. N., Hamilton, ON. Also opened
in 1972.

8. """Amsterdam, NY""". Inductees include Freddie Blassie and
Ric Flair.

9. Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA. Inductees include Gort,
Bender, and Navlab 5.

10. """Co-located at 5040 Yonge St., Toronto, and at 600 Boul. de
Maisonneuve, Montreal.""" Inductees include Leonard Cohen.

* Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Major League Baseball Stadiums

1. All current MLB fields have natural grass playing surfaces except
"""two""": Toronto's Rogers Centre has Astroturf and """this
other facility has FieldTurf. Name the *stadium*."""

2. Since the first one opened in 1923, the New York Yankees have
normally played their home games at one or another Yankee
Stadium. But during the 1974 and 1975 seasons, what other
stadium did they play their home games at?

3. Before moving to Olympic Stadium in 1976, where did the Montreal
Expos originally play?

4. Charlie O. Finley bought the Kansas City Athletics in 1960.
He went about making several changes to the stadium, which
included moving the outfield fences closer to home plate,
creating a zoo in right field, and installing a compressed-air
device, known as the Little Blowhard, at home plate to blow dirt
off the plate when the umpire stepped on a pedal. Finley also
installed another mechanical device at home plate, and replicated
the device in Oakland when he moved the Athletics to Oakland.
What was this other device (name or function)?

5. Originally the Houston Colt .45's, the team changed its name
to the Houston Astros when it moved in 1965 into the stadium
that became known unofficially as the Houston Astrodome.
What did the "astro" allude to?

6. Cleveland Municipal Stadium began operations in 1932 as the
home of the Cleveland Indians. It reportedly had been built
as part of a failed bid for the 1932 Summer Olympics that
were awarded to Los Angeles before construction was begun.
As a result, what derisive nickname was applied to the stadium
that stuck for decades afterwards?

7. As a strategy to increase name recognition, what Canadian
company paid $7,500,000 for the naming rights to the then home
of the Florida Marlins?

8. The original name of this California facility was the Oakland-
Alameda County Coliseum. By what name """is it known now"""?

9. The term "Chavez Ravine" has caused much confusion over
the years. There has never actually been a stadium named
Chavez Ravine, although the """current""" Dodger Stadium is
built on a filled-in landform of that name. But one team did
*call* its home park Chavez Ravine for one season, primarily
for reasons of pride. This was during its inaugural year --
1961 -- in the American League. What team was it?

10. The number 34 was proudly displayed on the turf along both
the first and third base lines at the Hubert H. Humphrey
Metrodome in Minneapolis. What was its significance?
Be specific. (Hint: It is NOT the number of times the roof
collapsed.)

--
Mark Brader "If you design for compatibility with a
Toronto donkey cart, what you get is a donkey cart."

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks

<t54503$82h$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3873&group=rec.games.trivia#3873

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 21:46:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 6 May 2022 21:46 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Halls of Fame by Location

> 1. Canton, OH.

(American) football

> 2. Cleveland, OH.

rock and roll

> 3. Nashville, TN.

country music

> 4. Cooperstown, NY.

baseball

> 9. Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA. Inductees include Gort,
> Bender, and Navlab 5.

robot

> 10. """Co-located at 5040 Yonge St., Toronto, and at 600 Boul. de
> Maisonneuve, Montreal.""" Inductees include Leonard Cohen.

Canadian music

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Major League Baseball Stadiums

> 2. Since the first one opened in 1923, the New York Yankees have
> normally played their home games at one or another Yankee
> Stadium. But during the 1974 and 1975 seasons, what other
> stadium did they play their home games at?

Shea

> 5. Originally the Houston Colt .45's, the team changed its name
> to the Houston Astros when it moved in 1965 into the stadium
> that became known unofficially as the Houston Astrodome.
> What did the "astro" allude to?

astronauts, because NASA's mission control was located in Houston

> 9. The term "Chavez Ravine" has caused much confusion over
> the years. There has never actually been a stadium named
> Chavez Ravine, although the """current""" Dodger Stadium is
> built on a filled-in landform of that name. But one team did
> *call* its home park Chavez Ravine for one season, primarily
> for reasons of pride. This was during its inaugural year --
> 1961 -- in the American League. What team was it?

San Diego Padres

> 10. The number 34 was proudly displayed on the turf along both
> the first and third base lines at the Hubert H. Humphrey
> Metrodome in Minneapolis. What was its significance?
> Be specific. (Hint: It is NOT the number of times the roof
> collapsed.)

Minnesota was the 34th state

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks

<217a39cc-ed02-45ba-b861-a5f6ec87ec6cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3874&group=rec.games.trivia#3874

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 19:02:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 7 May 2022 02:02 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 11:38:36 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Halls of Fame by Location
>
> Given a location, and maybe another hint, identify the Hall of
> Fame located there.
>
> 1. Canton, OH.

Pro Football

> 2. Cleveland, OH.

Rock and Roll

> 3. Nashville, TN.

Country Music

> 4. Cooperstown, NY.

Baseball
> 5. Memphis, TN. Inductees include Albert Collins.

Blues

> 6. 1333 Dorval Drive, Oakville, ON. Opened in 1972.

Hockey

> 7. Tim Horton's Field, 64 Melrose Av. N., Hamilton, ON. Also opened
> in 1972.

Canadian Baseball

> 8. """Amsterdam, NY""". Inductees include Freddie Blassie and
> Ric Flair.

Pro Wrestling

> 9. Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA. Inductees include Gort,
> Bender, and Navlab 5.

Robot

> 10. """Co-located at 5040 Yonge St., Toronto, and at 600 Boul. de
> Maisonneuve, Montreal.""" Inductees include Leonard Cohen.

Canadian Music

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Major League Baseball Stadiums
>
> 1. All current MLB fields have natural grass playing surfaces except
> """two""": Toronto's Rogers Centre has Astroturf and """this
> other facility has FieldTurf. Name the *stadium*."""

Tropicana Field
> 2. Since the first one opened in 1923, the New York Yankees have
> normally played their home games at one or another Yankee
> Stadium. But during the 1974 and 1975 seasons, what other
> stadium did they play their home games at?

Shea Stadium

> 3. Before moving to Olympic Stadium in 1976, where did the Montreal
> Expos originally play?

Jarry Park

> 5. Originally the Houston Colt .45's, the team changed its name
> to the Houston Astros when it moved in 1965 into the stadium
> that became known unofficially as the Houston Astrodome.
> What did the "astro" allude to?

the U.S. space program which is based in Houston
> 6. Cleveland Municipal Stadium began operations in 1932 as the
> home of the Cleveland Indians. It reportedly had been built
> as part of a failed bid for the 1932 Summer Olympics that
> were awarded to Los Angeles before construction was begun.
> As a result, what derisive nickname was applied to the stadium
> that stuck for decades afterwards?

White Elephant

> 7. As a strategy to increase name recognition, what Canadian
> company paid $7,500,000 for the naming rights to the then home
> of the Florida Marlins?

Pro Player

> 8. The original name of this California facility was the Oakland-
> Alameda County Coliseum. By what name """is it known now"""?

Oakland-Alameda County Stadium
(I think the sponsorship has expired since this was originally posted)

> 9. The term "Chavez Ravine" has caused much confusion over
> the years. There has never actually been a stadium named
> Chavez Ravine, although the """current""" Dodger Stadium is
> built on a filled-in landform of that name. But one team did
> *call* its home park Chavez Ravine for one season, primarily
> for reasons of pride. This was during its inaugural year --
> 1961 -- in the American League. What team was it?

Los Angeles Angels

> 10. The number 34 was proudly displayed on the turf along both
> the first and third base lines at the Hubert H. Humphrey
> Metrodome in Minneapolis. What was its significance?
> Be specific. (Hint: It is NOT the number of times the roof
> collapsed.)

Harmon Killebrew's uniform number; Rod Carew's uniform number

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks

<t578ut$1gg6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3875&group=rec.games.trivia#3875

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 21:12:45 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 8 May 2022 02:12 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Halls of Fame by Location
>
> Given a location, and maybe another hint, identify the Hall of
> Fame located there.
>
> 1. Canton, OH.

American Football

> 2. Cleveland, OH.

Rock and Roll

> 3. Nashville, TN.

Country Music

> 4. Cooperstown, NY.

Baseball

> 5. Memphis, TN. Inductees include Albert Collins.

Blues Music

> 6. 1333 Dorval Drive, Oakville, ON. Opened in 1972.

Lacrosse

> 7. Tim Horton's Field, 64 Melrose Av. N., Hamilton, ON. Also opened
> in 1972.

Canadian Football

> 8. """Amsterdam, NY""". Inductees include Freddie Blassie and
> Ric Flair.

Professional Wrestling

> 9. Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA. Inductees include Gort,
> Bender, and Navlab 5.

Robot

> 10. """Co-located at 5040 Yonge St., Toronto, and at 600 Boul. de
> Maisonneuve, Montreal.""" Inductees include Leonard Cohen.

Canadian Musicians

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Major League Baseball Stadiums
>
> 1. All current MLB fields have natural grass playing surfaces except
> """two""": Toronto's Rogers Centre has Astroturf and """this
> other facility has FieldTurf. Name the *stadium*."""

Tampa's Tropicana Field

> 2. Since the first one opened in 1923, the New York Yankees have
> normally played their home games at one or another Yankee
> Stadium. But during the 1974 and 1975 seasons, what other
> stadium did they play their home games at?

Shea Stadium

> 3. Before moving to Olympic Stadium in 1976, where did the Montreal
> Expos originally play?

Jarry Park

> 4. Charlie O. Finley bought the Kansas City Athletics in 1960.
> He went about making several changes to the stadium, which
> included moving the outfield fences closer to home plate,
> creating a zoo in right field, and installing a compressed-air
> device, known as the Little Blowhard, at home plate to blow dirt
> off the plate when the umpire stepped on a pedal. Finley also
> installed another mechanical device at home plate, and replicated
> the device in Oakland when he moved the Athletics to Oakland.
> What was this other device (name or function)?

Deliver baseballs to the umpire

> 5. Originally the Houston Colt .45's, the team changed its name
> to the Houston Astros when it moved in 1965 into the stadium
> that became known unofficially as the Houston Astrodome.
> What did the "astro" allude to?

Houston Space Center

> 6. Cleveland Municipal Stadium began operations in 1932 as the
> home of the Cleveland Indians. It reportedly had been built
> as part of a failed bid for the 1932 Summer Olympics that
> were awarded to Los Angeles before construction was begun.
> As a result, what derisive nickname was applied to the stadium
> that stuck for decades afterwards?

Mistake on the Lake

> 7. As a strategy to increase name recognition, what Canadian
> company paid $7,500,000 for the naming rights to the then home
> of the Florida Marlins?
>
> 8. The original name of this California facility was the Oakland-
> Alameda County Coliseum. By what name """is it known now"""?

Oracle Stadium

> 9. The term "Chavez Ravine" has caused much confusion over
> the years. There has never actually been a stadium named
> Chavez Ravine, although the """current""" Dodger Stadium is
> built on a filled-in landform of that name. But one team did
> *call* its home park Chavez Ravine for one season, primarily
> for reasons of pride. This was during its inaugural year --
> 1961 -- in the American League. What team was it?

Los Angeles Angels

> 10. The number 34 was proudly displayed on the turf along both
> the first and third base lines at the Hubert H. Humphrey
> Metrodome in Minneapolis. What was its significance?
> Be specific. (Hint: It is NOT the number of times the roof
> collapsed.)

Kirby Puckett's uniform number

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: halls of fame, ballparks

<67-dnUZ58djxCuX_nZ2dnUU7-TnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3876&group=rec.games.trivia#3876

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: halls of fame, ballparks
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 23:24:12 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 9 May 2022 04:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Halls of Fame by Location

> Given a location, and maybe another hint, identify the Hall of
> Fame located there.

This was the second-easiest round in the original games, after
the current events round.

> 1. Canton, OH.

Professional (American) football. 4 for everyone -- Dan, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 2. Cleveland, OH.

Rock and Roll. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Nashville, TN.

Country music. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Cooperstown, NY.

Baseball. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Memphis, TN. Inductees include Albert Collins.

Blues. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 6. 1333 Dorval Drive, Oakville, ON. Opened in 1972.

Canadian Golf (accepting CPGA). I scored "golf" as almost correct.

> 7. Tim Horton's Field, 64 Melrose Av. N., Hamilton, ON. Also opened
> in 1972.

Canadian Football (accepting CFL). 4 for Pete.

> 8. """Amsterdam, NY""". Inductees include Freddie Blassie and
> Ric Flair.

Professional Wrestling. I would have accepted "wrestling" although
it is a completely :-) unrelated thing. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

It's now in Wichita Falls, TX.

> 9. Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA. Inductees include Gort,
> Bender, and Navlab 5.

Robot. 4 for everyone.

> 10. """Co-located at 5040 Yonge St., Toronto, and at 600 Boul. de
> Maisonneuve, Montreal.""" Inductees include Leonard Cohen.

Canadian Songwriters. (Accepting "Canadian Music", as that HOF is
now on the same premises.) 4 for everyone.

Now at 850 4 St. SE, Calgary.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Major League Baseball Stadiums

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. All current MLB fields have natural grass playing surfaces except
> """two""": Toronto's Rogers Centre has Astroturf and """this
> other facility has FieldTurf. Name the *stadium*."""

2012 answer: Tropicana Field (St. Petersburg FL). 2022 answer:
If Wikipedia is correct, there are now three more, all four now
having Shaw Sports Turf. Also accepting Chase Field (Phoenix AX),
Globe Life Field (Arlington TX), and LoanDepot Park (Miami FL).
4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. Since the first one opened in 1923, the New York Yankees have
> normally played their home games at one or another Yankee
> Stadium. But during the 1974 and 1975 seasons, what other
> stadium did they play their home games at?

Shea Stadium. 4 for everyone.

That was when Yankee Stadium was being renovated.

> 3. Before moving to Olympic Stadium in 1976, where did the Montreal
> Expos originally play?

Jarry Park. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 4. Charlie O. Finley bought the Kansas City Athletics in 1960.
> He went about making several changes to the stadium, which
> included moving the outfield fences closer to home plate,
> creating a zoo in right field, and installing a compressed-air
> device, known as the Little Blowhard, at home plate to blow dirt
> off the plate when the umpire stepped on a pedal. Finley also
> installed another mechanical device at home plate, and replicated
> the device in Oakland when he moved the Athletics to Oakland.
> What was this other device (name or function)?

Harvey, a popup rabbit to deliver new baseballs to the umpire.
4 for Pete.

> 5. Originally the Houston Colt .45's, the team changed its name
> to the Houston Astros when it moved in 1965 into the stadium
> that became known unofficially as the Houston Astrodome.
> What did the "astro" allude to?

Houston's role in the space program. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Cleveland Municipal Stadium began operations in 1932 as the
> home of the Cleveland Indians. It reportedly had been built
> as part of a failed bid for the 1932 Summer Olympics that
> were awarded to Los Angeles before construction was begun.
> As a result, what derisive nickname was applied to the stadium
> that stuck for decades afterwards?

The Mistake by the Lake. 4 for Pete.

> 7. As a strategy to increase name recognition, what Canadian
> company paid $7,500,000 for the naming rights to the then home
> of the Florida Marlins?

Sun Life.

That name lasted from 2010 until 2016 -- the place is now Hard Rock
Stadium -- but the Marlins moved out in 2012 to Marlins Park, now
LoanDepot Park.

> 8. The original name of this California facility was the Oakland-
> Alameda County Coliseum. By what name """is it known now"""?

2012 answer: O.co [sic] Coliseum. 2022 answer: RingCentral Coliseum.

> 9. The term "Chavez Ravine" has caused much confusion over
> the years. There has never actually been a stadium named
> Chavez Ravine, although the """current""" Dodger Stadium is
> built on a filled-in landform of that name. But one team did
> *call* its home park Chavez Ravine for one season, primarily
> for reasons of pride. This was during its inaugural year --
> 1961 -- in the American League. What team was it?

The Los Angeles Angels (aka California Angels, Anaheim Angels,
or Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim). 4 for Joshua and Pete.

That is, until Angel Stadium opened they shared the Dodgers' stadium,
but they didn't want to use its actual name, Dodger Stadium.

> 10. The number 34 was proudly displayed on the turf along both
> the first and third base lines at the Hubert H. Humphrey
> Metrodome in Minneapolis. What was its significance?
> Be specific. (Hint: It is NOT the number of times the roof
> collapsed.)

It is the retired number of Kirby Puckett, a Twins superstar who
lived 1960-2006. 4 for Pete.

In 2012 Bruce Bowler answered "it's their address"!

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit Geo Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 32 20 120
Dan Blum 36 36 24 8 104
Pete Gayde -- -- 36 32 68
Dan Tilque 32 4 -- -- 36
Erland Sommarskog 32 4 -- -- 36

--
Mark Brader | "We're not quarreling: we're in complete agreement.
Toronto | We hate each other."

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks

<t5a9mr$kr2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3879&group=rec.games.trivia#3879

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:43:53 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 9 May 2022 05:43 UTC

On 5/5/22 21:38, Mark Brader wrote:
For some reason I forgot to check into the newsgroup during this round.
But I didn't answer because I didn't know any answers, which is probably
the most common reason I don't enter.

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Halls of Fame by Location
>
> Given a location, and maybe another hint, identify the Hall of
> Fame located there.
>
> 1. Canton, OH.

Pro Football

> 2. Cleveland, OH.

Rock 'n' Roll

> 3. Nashville, TN.

Country Music

> 4. Cooperstown, NY.

Baseball

> 5. Memphis, TN. Inductees include Albert Collins.
> 6. 1333 Dorval Drive, Oakville, ON. Opened in 1972.
> 7. Tim Horton's Field, 64 Melrose Av. N., Hamilton, ON. Also opened
> in 1972.
>
> 8. """Amsterdam, NY""". Inductees include Freddie Blassie and
> Ric Flair.
>
> 9. Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA. Inductees include Gort,
> Bender, and Navlab 5.
>
> 10. """Co-located at 5040 Yonge St., Toronto, and at 600 Boul. de
> Maisonneuve, Montreal.""" Inductees include Leonard Cohen.
>

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Sports - Major League Baseball Stadiums
>
> 1. All current MLB fields have natural grass playing surfaces except
> """two""": Toronto's Rogers Centre has Astroturf and """this
> other facility has FieldTurf. Name the *stadium*."""
>
> 2. Since the first one opened in 1923, the New York Yankees have
> normally played their home games at one or another Yankee
> Stadium. But during the 1974 and 1975 seasons, what other
> stadium did they play their home games at?

Shea Stadium

> 3. Before moving to Olympic Stadium in 1976, where did the Montreal
> Expos originally play?
>
> 4. Charlie O. Finley bought the Kansas City Athletics in 1960.
> He went about making several changes to the stadium, which
> included moving the outfield fences closer to home plate,
> creating a zoo in right field, and installing a compressed-air
> device, known as the Little Blowhard, at home plate to blow dirt
> off the plate when the umpire stepped on a pedal. Finley also
> installed another mechanical device at home plate, and replicated
> the device in Oakland when he moved the Athletics to Oakland.
> What was this other device (name or function)?
>
> 5. Originally the Houston Colt .45's, the team changed its name
> to the Houston Astros when it moved in 1965 into the stadium
> that became known unofficially as the Houston Astrodome.
> What did the "astro" allude to?

Astronauts, since their training facility was in the Houston area.

> 6. Cleveland Municipal Stadium began operations in 1932 as the
> home of the Cleveland Indians. It reportedly had been built
> as part of a failed bid for the 1932 Summer Olympics that
> were awarded to Los Angeles before construction was begun.
> As a result, what derisive nickname was applied to the stadium
> that stuck for decades afterwards?
>
> 7. As a strategy to increase name recognition, what Canadian
> company paid $7,500,000 for the naming rights to the then home
> of the Florida Marlins?
>
> 8. The original name of this California facility was the Oakland-
> Alameda County Coliseum. By what name """is it known now"""?
>
> 9. The term "Chavez Ravine" has caused much confusion over
> the years. There has never actually been a stadium named
> Chavez Ravine, although the """current""" Dodger Stadium is
> built on a filled-in landform of that name. But one team did
> *call* its home park Chavez Ravine for one season, primarily
> for reasons of pride. This was during its inaugural year --
> 1961 -- in the American League. What team was it?

California Angels

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: halls of fame, ballparks

<n-WdncBzQpmncuT_nZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3883&group=rec.games.trivia#3883

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 23:51:06 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 10 May 2022 04:51 UTC

Dan Tilque:
> For some reason I forgot to check into the newsgroup during this round.
> But I didn't answer because I didn't know any answers, which is probably
> the most common reason I don't enter.

Nevertheless, if Dan's answers had been posted on time, he would have
scored 16 points on Round 4 and 12 on Round 6, for a running total of 64.
--
Mark Brader | "A private business wants to make a profit, so they
Toronto | aren't going to do things to hurt their customers.