I'm glad I was not born before tea. -- Sidney Smith (1771-1845)

interests / soc.culture.polish / Re: Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?

SubjectAuthor
* Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?Russet Bulba
`- Re: Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?Russet Bulba

1
Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?

<a1abaae1-4fd1-4383-8434-5ea69523d9a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38791&group=soc.culture.polish#38791

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 03:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?
From: cyrylmet...@gmail.com (Russet Bulba)
 by: Russet Bulba - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:56 UTC

Bo strategia blitzkriegu Putina wyraznie zawiodla.

Mearsheimer's first book Conventional Deterrence (1983) addresses the question of how decisions to start a war depend on the projected outcome of military conflict. In other words, how do decision makers' beliefs about the outcome of war affect the success or failure of deterrence? Mearsheimer's basic argument is that deterrence is likely to work when the potential attacker believes that an attack will be costly, and unlikely to succeed. If the potential attacker, however, has reason to believe the attack will entail low costs and be likely to succeed, deterrence is likely to break down, which is now widely accepted to be how the principle of deterrence works. Specifically, Mearsheimer argues that the success of deterrence is determined by the strategy available to the potential attacker. He lays out three strategies.
Firstly, an attrition strategy entails a high level of uncertainty about the outcome of war and high costs for the attacker. Secondly, a limited-aims strategy entails fewer risks and lower costs. Thirdly, a blitzkrieg strategy, provides a way to defeat the enemy rapidly and decisively with relatively low costs. For Mearsheimer, failures in the modern battlefield are caused mostly by the potential attacker's belief that it can successfully implement a blitzkrieg strategy in which tanks and other mechanized forces are employed swiftly to cause a deep penetration and to disrupt the enemy's rear.[11] The two other strategies are unlikely to lead to deterrence failures because they would entail a low probability of success, accompanied by high costs (war of attrition) or limited gains and the possibility of the conflict turning into a war of attrition (limited aims). If the attacker has a coherent blitzkrieg strategy available, however, an attack is likely to ensue, as its potential benefits outweigh the costs and risks of starting a war.[12]

Re: Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?

<0d1becc5-a2b8-4ff9-a043-810bc5ed9301n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38800&group=soc.culture.polish#38800

Newsgroups: soc.culture.polish
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 06:37:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?
From: cyrylmet...@gmail.com (Russet Bulba)
 by: Russet Bulba - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:37 UTC

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 7:56:55 AM UTC-3, Russet Bulba wrote:
> Bo strategia blitzkriegu Putina wyraznie zawiodla.
>

> Mearsheimer's first book Conventional Deterrence (1983) addresses the question of how decisions to start a war depend on the projected outcome of military conflict. In other words, how do decision makers' beliefs about the outcome of war affect the success or failure of deterrence? Mearsheimer's basic argument is that deterrence is likely to work when the potential attacker believes that an attack will be costly, and unlikely to succeed. If the potential attacker, however, has reason to believe the attack will entail low costs and be likely to succeed, deterrence is likely to break down, which is now widely accepted to be how the principle of deterrence works. Specifically, Mearsheimer argues that the success of deterrence is determined by the strategy available to the potential attacker. He lays out three strategies.
> Firstly, an attrition strategy entails a high level of uncertainty about the outcome of war and high costs for the attacker. Secondly, a limited-aims strategy entails fewer risks and lower costs. Thirdly, a blitzkrieg strategy, provides a way to defeat the enemy rapidly and decisively with relatively low costs. For Mearsheimer, failures in the modern battlefield are caused mostly by the potential attacker's belief that it can successfully implement a blitzkrieg strategy in which tanks and other mechanized forces are employed swiftly to cause a deep penetration and to disrupt the enemy's rear..[11] The two other strategies are unlikely to lead to deterrence failures because they would entail a low probability of success, accompanied by high costs (war of attrition) or limited gains and the possibility of the conflict turning into a war of attrition (limited aims). If the attacker has a coherent blitzkrieg strategy available, however, an attack is likely to ensue, as its potential benefits outweigh the costs and risks of starting a war..[12]

Putin w oczywisty sposob zaczal od Blitzkriegu, ktory nie wyszedl, tak wiec przeszedl na faze limitowanych celow a potem przy braku sukcesu i przy tej strategii na wojne na wyczerpanie, ktora faze mamy teraz. Tak wiec klasyka..

interests / soc.culture.polish / Re: Czy Putin studiowal Mearsheimera?