Getting into trouble is easy. -- D. Winkel and F. Prosser

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: documentaries, social icons

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social iconsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social iconsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social iconsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social iconsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social iconsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social iconsPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: documentaries, social iconsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social icons

<04ednUnOWp6WBeX_nZ2dnUU7-c3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3877&group=rec.games.trivia#3877

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social icons
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 23:26:51 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 9 May 2022 04:26 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar-Winning Documentaries

Dates refer to the year of the film's release, not the Oscar ceremoney.

1. Only short subjects were eligible for the first Best Documentary
Oscar. When was that? Answer within 5 years.

2. The 1978 winner was about a program for troubled teens at Rahway
State Prison. Name the documentary or the program.

3. The Norwegian documentary that won the 1951 statuette chronicled
the testing of Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis on how the Polynesian
islands might have been originally colonized. Name it.

4. The 1996 winner was about a boxing match between Ali and Foreman.
Name it.

5. The 2002 winner included interviews with Marilyn Manson and
"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone about the causes of violence
in society, and a visit by two shooting victims with bullets
embedded in their bodies to the world headquarters of K-Mart
to try to return the bullets for a refund. Name the documentary.

6. The 1970 winner was filmed over 4 days, August 15-18, 1969,
in Bethel, NY. Name it.

7. The 2010 winner exposed Japan's dolphin-hunting culture.
Name it.

8. The 1956 winner introduced North America to Jacques Cousteau.
It was based on his 1953 book of the same name, and was the
first movie to show the ocean depths in color. Cousteau,
not yet a conservationist, drew criticism for dynamiting coral
reefs and slaughtering a school of sharks. Name the documentary.

9. The 2008 winner was about a feat performed by Philippe Petit
in 1974 in New York, that would not be possible now: walking
a tightrope between the World Trade Center's twin towers.
Name the documentary.

10. The 2007 winner was about the death of an Afghani civilian named
Dilawar at the hands of American soldiers while in detention.
The film goes on to examine the US's policy on torture and
interrogation, and the CIA's use of torture and experimentation
into sensory deprivation. Name it.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Social Networking Pollution

Internet pages these days are littered with icons to allow
immediate connection to a plethora of social networking sites
and functions. Please see the handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-8/social.jpg

and answer these questions.

*Note*: in all cases you are being asked for the *grid location*
of the icon, a letter and a digit from A1 up to F5, not a single
character and not the application's name.

*Note*: This round has not been updated. You are being asked about
icons, company names, etc. in the versions that were used in 2012.

1. Which icon is used by RSS, a web feed format that allows easy
publication of web page updates?

2. Which icon is for Technorati, a popular blog search program?

3. Which icon represents the social news platform Newsvine, owned by
MSNBC, which draws content from users as well as mainstream
sources?

4. Which icon represents Stumbleupon, a web search engine that
finds and recommends content to its user?

5. Which icon represents Delicious, a social bookmarking web
service which was acquired by Yahoo in 2005?

6. Which icon represent Facebook's predecessor, MySpace?

7. Which icon represents both the premier voice-over-Internet
protocol and the application people fire up to place an online
voice or video call?

8. Which icon is for the web site Flickr, where people post pictures
they have taken?

9. Which site represents the Internet's most popular career-based
social site, where people post information about themselves based
on current and past positions, keep in contact with colleagues,
list their job skills, post articles to forums, etc.?

10. Which icon represents AOL Messenger, one of the earliest
instant chat programs on the Internet?

So there were 20 decoys, and 2 icons that were used in the round but
the services weren't named in the question. If you like, for fun,
but for no points, decode the rot13 and identify these 22 icons.

11. Gjvggre.
12. Qevooyr.
13. YvaxrqVa.
14. Qrivnagneg.
15. Oybttre.
16. Jbeqcerff.
17. Gur Bavba.
18. Ivzrb.
19. Oynpxoreel.
20. Erqqvg.
21. Snprobbx.
22. ZFA.
23. Fxlcr.
24. Ghzoye.
25. Fcbgvsl.
26. Tbbtyr Cyhf.
27. Qvtt.
28. ZNP BF.
29. Orob.
30. FubhgJver.
31. Tebbirfunex.
32. Sevraqsrrq.

--
Mark Brader | "Justices look solemn in their formal black robes, but
Toronto | every so often they like to have a little fun by taking on

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social icons

<t5a6md$e6i$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3878&group=rec.games.trivia#3878

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 04:52:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 9 May 2022 04:52 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar-Winning Documentaries

> 1. Only short subjects were eligible for the first Best Documentary
> Oscar. When was that? Answer within 5 years.

1940; 1951

> 3. The Norwegian documentary that won the 1951 statuette chronicled
> the testing of Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis on how the Polynesian
> islands might have been originally colonized. Name it.

Kon-Tiki

> 4. The 1996 winner was about a boxing match between Ali and Foreman.
> Name it.

When We Were Kings

> 5. The 2002 winner included interviews with Marilyn Manson and
> "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone about the causes of violence
> in society, and a visit by two shooting victims with bullets
> embedded in their bodies to the world headquarters of K-Mart
> to try to return the bullets for a refund. Name the documentary.

Bowling for Columbine

> 6. The 1970 winner was filmed over 4 days, August 15-18, 1969,
> in Bethel, NY. Name it.

Woodstock

> 9. The 2008 winner was about a feat performed by Philippe Petit
> in 1974 in New York, that would not be possible now: walking
> a tightrope between the World Trade Center's twin towers.
> Name the documentary.

Man on Wire

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Social Networking Pollution

> 1. Which icon is used by RSS, a web feed format that allows easy
> publication of web page updates?

A2

> 2. Which icon is for Technorati, a popular blog search program?

A3; C1

> 3. Which icon represents the social news platform Newsvine, owned by
> MSNBC, which draws content from users as well as mainstream
> sources?

E2

> 4. Which icon represents Stumbleupon, a web search engine that
> finds and recommends content to its user?

F2

> 5. Which icon represents Delicious, a social bookmarking web
> service which was acquired by Yahoo in 2005?

D5; D2

> 6. Which icon represent Facebook's predecessor, MySpace?

F4; C2

> 7. Which icon represents both the premier voice-over-Internet
> protocol and the application people fire up to place an online
> voice or video call?

A4

> 8. Which icon is for the web site Flickr, where people post pictures
> they have taken?

F3

> 9. Which site represents the Internet's most popular career-based
> social site, where people post information about themselves based
> on current and past positions, keep in contact with colleagues,
> list their job skills, post articles to forums, etc.?

A1

> 10. Which icon represents AOL Messenger, one of the earliest
> instant chat programs on the Internet?

F4

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social icons

<t5aacq$old$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3880&group=rec.games.trivia#3880

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:55:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 9 May 2022 05:55 UTC

On 5/8/22 21:26, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]
> character and not the application's name.
>
> *Note*: This round has not been updated. You are being asked about
> icons, company names, etc. in the versions that were used in 2012.
>
> 1. Which icon is used by RSS, a web feed format that allows easy
> publication of web page updates?

A2

> 2. Which icon is for Technorati, a popular blog search program?
>
> 3. Which icon represents the social news platform Newsvine, owned by
> MSNBC, which draws content from users as well as mainstream
> sources?
>
> 4. Which icon represents Stumbleupon, a web search engine that
> finds and recommends content to its user?

F2

> 5. Which icon represents Delicious, a social bookmarking web
> service which was acquired by Yahoo in 2005?
>
> 6. Which icon represent Facebook's predecessor, MySpace?

C2

> 7. Which icon represents both the premier voice-over-Internet
> protocol and the application people fire up to place an online
> voice or video call?

E2

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social icons

<e4c86fee-d41e-4312-b67d-5705614d6566n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3881&group=rec.games.trivia#3881

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 00:39:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 9 May 2022 07:39 UTC

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 11:26:57 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar-Winning Documentaries
>
> Dates refer to the year of the film's release, not the Oscar ceremoney.
>
> 1. Only short subjects were eligible for the first Best Documentary
> Oscar. When was that? Answer within 5 years.

1941
> 2. The 1978 winner was about a program for troubled teens at Rahway
> State Prison. Name the documentary or the program.

"Scared Straight"

> 3. The Norwegian documentary that won the 1951 statuette chronicled
> the testing of Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis on how the Polynesian
> islands might have been originally colonized. Name it.

"Kon-Tiki"

> 4. The 1996 winner was about a boxing match between Ali and Foreman.
> Name it.

"When We Were Kings"

> 5. The 2002 winner included interviews with Marilyn Manson and
> "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone about the causes of violence
> in society, and a visit by two shooting victims with bullets
> embedded in their bodies to the world headquarters of K-Mart
> to try to return the bullets for a refund. Name the documentary.

"Bowling for Columbine"

> 6. The 1970 winner was filmed over 4 days, August 15-18, 1969,
> in Bethel, NY. Name it.

"Woodstock"

> 7. The 2010 winner exposed Japan's dolphin-hunting culture.
> Name it.

"Blackfish"

> 8. The 1956 winner introduced North America to Jacques Cousteau.
> It was based on his 1953 book of the same name, and was the
> first movie to show the ocean depths in color. Cousteau,
> not yet a conservationist, drew criticism for dynamiting coral
> reefs and slaughtering a school of sharks. Name the documentary.

"The Undersea World"

> 9. The 2008 winner was about a feat performed by Philippe Petit
> in 1974 in New York, that would not be possible now: walking
> a tightrope between the World Trade Center's twin towers.
> Name the documentary.

"Man on Wire"

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Social Networking Pollution
>
> Internet pages these days are littered with icons to allow
> immediate connection to a plethora of social networking sites
> and functions. Please see the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-8/social.jpg
>
> and answer these questions.
>
> 1. Which icon is used by RSS, a web feed format that allows easy
> publication of web page updates?

A2

> 2. Which icon is for Technorati, a popular blog search program?

D5; B1

> 3. Which icon represents the social news platform Newsvine, owned by
> MSNBC, which draws content from users as well as mainstream
> sources?

E2

> 4. Which icon represents Stumbleupon, a web search engine that
> finds and recommends content to its user?

F2

> 5. Which icon represents Delicious, a social bookmarking web
> service which was acquired by Yahoo in 2005?

C1; E1

> 6. Which icon represent Facebook's predecessor, MySpace?

B5
(note: MySpace was not Facebook's "predecessor" but a separate social networking service)
> 7. Which icon represents both the premier voice-over-Internet
> protocol and the application people fire up to place an online
> voice or video call?

C5; E5

> 8. Which icon is for the web site Flickr, where people post pictures
> they have taken?

C4

> 9. Which site represents the Internet's most popular career-based
> social site, where people post information about themselves based
> on current and past positions, keep in contact with colleagues,
> list their job skills, post articles to forums, etc.?

A1

> 10. Which icon represents AOL Messenger, one of the earliest
> instant chat programs on the Internet?

F4

> So there were 20 decoys, and 2 icons that were used in the round but
> the services weren't named in the question. If you like, for fun,
> but for no points, decode the rot13 and identify these 22 icons.
>
> 13. YvaxrqVa.

A1

> 15. Oybttre.

C3

> 16. Jbeqcerff.

D3

> 17. Gur Bavba.

B2

> 20. Erqqvg.

D4

> 21. Snprobbx.

E3

> 22. ZFA.

F3

> 24. Ghzoye.

D1

> 26. Tbbtyr Cyhf.

F5

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social icons

<XnsAE92964ACEB43Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3882&group=rec.games.trivia#3882

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 14:46:27 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 9 May 2022 12:46 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar-Winning Documentaries
>
> 3. The Norwegian documentary that won the 1951 statuette chronicled
> the testing of Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis on how the Polynesian
> islands might have been originally colonized. Name it.

Kon-Tiki
> 4. The 1996 winner was about a boxing match between Ali and Foreman.
> Name it.

The Rumble in the Jungle.
> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Social Networking Pollution
>
> 1. Which icon is used by RSS, a web feed format that allows easy
> publication of web page updates?

A2

> 2. Which icon is for Technorati, a popular blog search program?

A3

> 3. Which icon represents the social news platform Newsvine, owned by
> MSNBC, which draws content from users as well as mainstream
> sources?

E2
> 4. Which icon represents Stumbleupon, a web search engine that
> finds and recommends content to its user?

F2
> 5. Which icon represents Delicious, a social bookmarking web
> service which was acquired by Yahoo in 2005?

E1

> 6. Which icon represent Facebook's predecessor, MySpace?

C1
> 7. Which icon represents both the premier voice-over-Internet
> protocol and the application people fire up to place an online
> voice or video call?

A5
> 8. Which icon is for the web site Flickr, where people post pictures
> they have taken?

E4
> 9. Which site represents the Internet's most popular career-based
> social site, where people post information about themselves based
> on current and past positions, keep in contact with colleagues,
> list their job skills, post articles to forums, etc.?

A1

> 10. Which icon represents AOL Messenger, one of the earliest
> instant chat programs on the Internet?>

B4

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: documentaries, social icons

<t5gt33$aa7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3884&group=rec.games.trivia#3884

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 12:51:32 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:51 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar-Winning Documentaries
>
> Dates refer to the year of the film's release, not the Oscar ceremoney.
>
> 1. Only short subjects were eligible for the first Best Documentary
> Oscar. When was that? Answer within 5 years.

1950; 1961

> 2. The 1978 winner was about a program for troubled teens at Rahway
> State Prison. Name the documentary or the program.
>
> 3. The Norwegian documentary that won the 1951 statuette chronicled
> the testing of Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis on how the Polynesian
> islands might have been originally colonized. Name it.

Kon Tiki

> 4. The 1996 winner was about a boxing match between Ali and Foreman.
> Name it.

Rumble in the Jungle

> 5. The 2002 winner included interviews with Marilyn Manson and
> "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone about the causes of violence
> in society, and a visit by two shooting victims with bullets
> embedded in their bodies to the world headquarters of K-Mart
> to try to return the bullets for a refund. Name the documentary.
>
> 6. The 1970 winner was filmed over 4 days, August 15-18, 1969,
> in Bethel, NY. Name it.

Woodstock

> 7. The 2010 winner exposed Japan's dolphin-hunting culture.
> Name it.
>
> 8. The 1956 winner introduced North America to Jacques Cousteau.
> It was based on his 1953 book of the same name, and was the
> first movie to show the ocean depths in color. Cousteau,
> not yet a conservationist, drew criticism for dynamiting coral
> reefs and slaughtering a school of sharks. Name the documentary.
>
> 9. The 2008 winner was about a feat performed by Philippe Petit
> in 1974 in New York, that would not be possible now: walking
> a tightrope between the World Trade Center's twin towers.
> Name the documentary.
>
> 10. The 2007 winner was about the death of an Afghani civilian named
> Dilawar at the hands of American soldiers while in detention.
> The film goes on to examine the US's policy on torture and
> interrogation, and the CIA's use of torture and experimentation
> into sensory deprivation. Name it.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Social Networking Pollution
>
> Internet pages these days are littered with icons to allow
> immediate connection to a plethora of social networking sites
> and functions. Please see the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-8/social.jpg
>
> and answer these questions.
>
> *Note*: in all cases you are being asked for the *grid location*
> of the icon, a letter and a digit from A1 up to F5, not a single
> character and not the application's name.
>
> *Note*: This round has not been updated. You are being asked about
> icons, company names, etc. in the versions that were used in 2012.
>
> 1. Which icon is used by RSS, a web feed format that allows easy
> publication of web page updates?

A2

> 2. Which icon is for Technorati, a popular blog search program?

A3; D1

> 3. Which icon represents the social news platform Newsvine, owned by
> MSNBC, which draws content from users as well as mainstream
> sources?

F3

> 4. Which icon represents Stumbleupon, a web search engine that
> finds and recommends content to its user?

F2

> 5. Which icon represents Delicious, a social bookmarking web
> service which was acquired by Yahoo in 2005?

E1

> > 6. Which icon represent Facebook's predecessor, MySpace?

C2; B5

> 7. Which icon represents both the premier voice-over-Internet
> protocol and the application people fire up to place an online
> voice or video call?

A4

> 8. Which icon is for the web site Flickr, where people post pictures
> they have taken?

E4

> 9. Which site represents the Internet's most popular career-based
> social site, where people post information about themselves based
> on current and past positions, keep in contact with colleagues,
> list their job skills, post articles to forums, etc.?

A1

> 10. Which icon represents AOL Messenger, one of the earliest
> instant chat programs on the Internet?

F4

> So there were 20 decoys, and 2 icons that were used in the round but
> the services weren't named in the question. If you like, for fun,
> but for no points, decode the rot13 and identify these 22 icons.
>
> 11. Gjvggre.
> 12. Qevooyr.
> 13. YvaxrqVa.
> 14. Qrivnagneg.
> 15. Oybttre.
> 16. Jbeqcerff.
> 17. Gur Bavba.
> 18. Ivzrb.
> 19. Oynpxoreel.
> 20. Erqqvg.
> 21. Snprobbx.
> 22. ZFA.
> 23. Fxlcr.
> 24. Ghzoye.
> 25. Fcbgvsl.
> 26. Tbbtyr Cyhf.
> 27. Qvtt.
> 28. ZNP BF.
> 29. Orob.
> 30. FubhgJver.
> 31. Tebbirfunex.
> 32. Sevraqsrrq.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: documentaries, social icons

<APSdnaXTmIkhGuH_nZ2dnUU7-ffNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3885&group=rec.games.trivia#3885

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: documentaries, social icons
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:06:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 12 May 2022 04:06 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar-Winning Documentaries

> Dates refer to the year of the film's release, not the Oscar ceremoney.

> 1. Only short subjects were eligible for the first Best Documentary
> Oscar. When was that? Answer within 5 years.

1941 (accepting 1936-46). ("Churchill's Island", about wartime
Britain.) 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

Considering that dates as early as 1951 were mentioned in later
questions, you would think that entrants would not have guessed
anything later, but some did in 2012 and at least one this time as
well. (I didn't bother rot13ing questions #2-10 because I would've
had to rewrite all the dates in them using words, and anyway I thought
a range from the 1920s to the early 1950s was still sufficient to
keep question #1 interesting.)

In the Oscars for 1942, documentaries of any length were combined
under a single category, but with four winners. The following year
separate awards for short and feature documentaries were established.
The original version of this question asked for 1942 but without
clarifying the year-to-year variations.

> 2. The 1978 winner was about a program for troubled teens at Rahway
> State Prison. Name the documentary or the program.

"Scared Straight" (same answer for both). 4 for Joshua.

> 3. The Norwegian documentary that won the 1951 statuette chronicled
> the testing of Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis on how the Polynesian
> islands might have been originally colonized. Name it.

"Kon-Tiki". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 4. The 1996 winner was about a boxing match between Ali and Foreman.
> Name it.

"When We Were Kings". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. The 2002 winner included interviews with Marilyn Manson and
> "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone about the causes of violence
> in society, and a visit by two shooting victims with bullets
> embedded in their bodies to the world headquarters of K-Mart
> to try to return the bullets for a refund. Name the documentary.

"Bowling for Columbine". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 6. The 1970 winner was filmed over 4 days, August 15-18, 1969,
> in Bethel, NY. Name it.

"Woodstock". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. The 2010 winner exposed Japan's dolphin-hunting culture.
> Name it.

"The Cove".

> 8. The 1956 winner introduced North America to Jacques Cousteau.
> It was based on his 1953 book of the same name, and was the
> first movie to show the ocean depths in color. Cousteau,
> not yet a conservationist, drew criticism for dynamiting coral
> reefs and slaughtering a school of sharks. Name the documentary.

"The Silent World" ("Le monde du silence").

> 9. The 2008 winner was about a feat performed by Philippe Petit
> in 1974 in New York, that would not be possible now: walking
> a tightrope between the World Trade Center's twin towers.
> Name the documentary.

"Man on Wire". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. The 2007 winner was about the death of an Afghani civilian named
> Dilawar at the hands of American soldiers while in detention.
> The film goes on to examine the US's policy on torture and
> interrogation, and the CIA's use of torture and experimentation
> into sensory deprivation. Name it.

"Taxi to the Dark Side".

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Social Networking Pollution

> Internet pages these days are littered with icons to allow
> immediate connection to a plethora of social networking sites
> and functions. Please see the handout

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-8/social.jpg

> and answer these questions.

> *Note*: in all cases you are being asked for the *grid location*
> of the icon, a letter and a digit from A1 up to F5, not a single
> character and not the application's name.

> *Note*: This round has not been updated. You are being asked about
> icons, company names, etc. in the versions that were used in 2012.

> 1. Which icon is used by RSS, a web feed format that allows easy
> publication of web page updates?

A2. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 2. Which icon is for Technorati, a popular blog search program?

D5. 3 for Joshua.

> 3. Which icon represents the social news platform Newsvine, owned by
> MSNBC, which draws content from users as well as mainstream
> sources?

E2. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

> 4. Which icon represents Stumbleupon, a web search engine that
> finds and recommends content to its user?

F2. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Which icon represents Delicious, a social bookmarking web
> service which was acquired by Yahoo in 2005?

B3.

> 6. Which icon represent Facebook's predecessor, MySpace?

B5. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 7. Which icon represents both the premier voice-over-Internet
> protocol and the application people fire up to place an online
> voice or video call?

A4 (Skype). 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 8. Which icon is for the web site Flickr, where people post pictures
> they have taken?

C4. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Which site represents the Internet's most popular career-based
> social site, where people post information about themselves based
> on current and past positions, keep in contact with colleagues,
> list their job skills, post articles to forums, etc.?

A1 (LinkedIn). 4 for everyone.

> 10. Which icon represents AOL Messenger, one of the earliest
> instant chat programs on the Internet?

F4. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> So there were 20 decoys, and 2 icons that were used in the round but
> the services weren't named in the question. If you like, for fun,
> but for no points, decode the rot13 and identify these 22 icons.

In 2012 Stephen got all 22 of these. He didn't try this time.

> 11. Twitter.

D1.

> 12. Dribble.

F1.

> 13. LinkedIn.

A1. Joshua got this.

> 14. Deviantart.

E1.

> 15. Blogger.

C3. Joshua got this.

> 16. Wordpress.

D3. Joshua got this.

> 17. The Onion.

B2. Joshua got this.

> 18. Vimeo.

A5.

> 19. Blackberry.

B4.

> 20. Reddit.

D4. Joshua got this.

> 21. Facebook.

E3. Joshua got this.

> 22. MSN.

F3. Joshua got this.

> 23. Skype.

A4.

> 24. Tumblr.

A3.

> 25. Spotify.

E5.

> 26. Google Plus.

F5. Joshua got this.

> 27. Digg.

B1.

> 28. MAC OS.

C2.

> 29. Bebo.

D2.

> 30. ShoutWire.

C5.

> 31. Grooveshark.

C1.

> 32. Friendfeed.

E4.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Lit Geo Spo Ent Mis FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 32 20 28 31 131
Dan Blum 36 36 24 8 23 24 120
Pete Gayde -- -- 36 32 8 22 98
Erland Sommarskog 32 4 -- -- 4 16 56
Dan Tilque 32 4 -- -- 0 16 52

--
Mark Brader "I always hoped that when someone quoted me
Toronto it would be because I said something profound."