Confessions may be good for the soul, but they are bad for the reputation. -- Lord Thomas Dewar

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: geologic time, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge roundswp
`- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: geologic time, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge round

<PeCdnXTU2IKpFeH_nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3886&group=rec.games.trivia#3886

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:08:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 12 May 2022 04:08 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - Geologic Time Scale

Please see <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-9/geol.pdf>, and
answer these questions about facts from the geologic time scale.

1. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#1"
on the handout?

2. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#2"?

3. The lowest subdivisions shown in the handout are epochs; but
epochs are further divided into another level, which includes
such spans as the Ionian, the Calabrian, and the Aquitanian.
What are those next-level subdivisions called?

4. The epoch we are currently living in, the Holocene, has another
accepted name. This name is based on the supposition that
mankind is the primary force affecting the current and future
cycles of life of earth. What is this alternative name?

Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
you have finished with #1-4.

5. Jung *ren* ner jr pheeragyl yvivat va? Vg'f fubja ol #3 ba gur
puneg, jvgu n fgnegvat cbvag 65,000,000 lrnef ntb. Vgf anzr
vf qrevirq sebz gur Terrx jbeqf sbe "arj" naq "yvsr", naq vg'f
nyfb ersreerq gb nf gur Ntr bs Znzznyf.

6. Dhrfgvbaf #6-10 rnpu nfx lbh gb anzr n *crevbq*, v.r. n ebj
haqre gur urnqvat "(#2)". Tvir gur anzr bs gur crevbq fubja
ol "#5" ba gur unaqbhg. Vgf raqcbvag jnf gur znff rkgvapgvba
qhevat juvpu gur qvabfnhef qvfnccrnerq.

7. Gur nafjref gb dhrfgvbaf #7-10 ner crevbqf anzrq ba gur puneg.
Nsgre gur oernxhc bs gur fhcrepbagvarag Ebqvavn, gur qvfehcgvba
bs gur bprna pheeragf yrq gb gur cbyne ertvbaf fcernqvat gb
pbire gur ragver Rnegu, pnhfvat gur "Fabjonyy Rnegu" rirag.
Qhevat juvpu crevbq ner gurfr riragf ulcbgurfvmrq gb unir ynfg
unccrarq, naq gur rnegu sebmra bire?

8. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Znwbe
vapernfr va inevrgvrf bs cynagf naq navznyf. Svefg pubeqngr
navznyf nccrne, svefg cerqngbef nccrne, cerphefbef sbe nyy
bs zbqrea culyn bs navznyf cerfrag. Fhcrepbagvarag Tbaqjnan
rzretrf. Shatv nccrne.

9. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Gur svefg
sreaf, frrq-ornevat cynagf, naq gerrf nccrne ba ynaq. Wnjrq svfu
ehyr gur frn. Nccnynpuvna Zbhagnvaf orvat sbezvat.

10. Qhevat jung crevbq qvq gur Grgulf Bprna qvfnccrne nf gur
Vaqb-Nhfgenyvna cyngr pbyyvqrq jvgu gur Rhenfvna cyngr,
riraghnyyl chfuvat hc gur Uvznynlna Zbhagnvaf nf Vaqvn pbagvahrq
vgf znepu abegu?

This round included an emergency question. Answer if you like
for fun, but for no points.

11. Give the *eon* during which there is the first evidence
of possible life, as silicon fragments from this time contain
compounds of photosynthetic kerogen.

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge

* A. Literature: Super-lative Heroes

We all know that Spider-Man is "Amazing" and the Hulk is
"Incredible". But what are the usual adjectives associated
with these other superpersons?

A1. The first group of X-Men, published continually since 1963.
(For the first 19 years it was it was the only group
of X-Men).

A2. Iron Man.

* B. Science: Lines on a Graph

Give the correct name for the type of line found in a graphed
equation that satisfies the given condition.

B1. A straight line that a given curve approaches but does
not meet, as one of the variables in the equation approaches
infinity.

B2. A line that touches a curve at only one point, at which
the slopes of the line and curve are equal.

* C. Geography: World Flags

C1. This Asian nation is the only country whose flag is
not a rectangle or square; it is a 5-sided figure.
What country is this?

C2. This African nation is the only country to have used a
flag in recent history that was a single solid color,
without any design. What country is this?

* D. History: English Peerage Titles

D1. Born Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Battenberg in 1900,
he is more commonly known by the peerage title he held
at his death, or the title of his political position.
Give *either*.

D2. This person, born 1925, """has""" the peerage title Baroness
of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire. What """is"""
her real name?

* E. Entertainment: Wham!

Answer these 2 questions about entertaining products from Wham-O.

E1. US soldiers in Iraq """have""" used this Wham-O product
to detect tripwires. Not military issue, soldiers """have
been having""" their families send it to them by the case.
Name the Wham-O product.

E2. The Coen brothers' 1994 film "The Hudsucker Proxy" tells
a fictionalized story about the invention of this Wham-O
product. In the movie it's referred to, among other things,
as an "Extruded Plastic Dingus". Give the actual name of
the Wham-O product.

* F. Sports: FIFA Tourneys

*Note*: In each case either give the original answer or else
give the year and country for a future occurrence of the
respective tournament.

F1. What country """will host""" FIFA's 2018 World Cup?
F2. What nation """will host""" FIFA's 2015 Women's World Cup?

--
Mark Brader | "...most people who borrow over $1,000,000 from a bank
Toronto | would at least remember the name of the bank."

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge round

<t5i3l9$dsn$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3887&group=rec.games.trivia#3887

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 04:49:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 12 May 2022 04:49 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - Geologic Time Scale

> 1. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#1"
> on the handout?

era

> 2. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#2"?

period

> 4. The epoch we are currently living in, the Holocene, has another
> accepted name. This name is based on the supposition that
> mankind is the primary force affecting the current and future
> cycles of life of earth. What is this alternative name?

anthropocene

> 5. Jung *ren* ner jr pheeragyl yvivat va? Vg'f fubja ol #3 ba gur
> puneg, jvgu n fgnegvat cbvag 65,000,000 lrnef ntb. Vgf anzr
> vf qrevirq sebz gur Terrx jbeqf sbe "arj" naq "yvsr", naq vg'f
> nyfb ersreerq gb nf gur Ntr bs Znzznyf.

Cenozoic

> 7. Gur nafjref gb dhrfgvbaf #7-10 ner crevbqf anzrq ba gur puneg.
> Nsgre gur oernxhc bs gur fhcrepbagvarag Ebqvavn, gur qvfehcgvba
> bs gur bprna pheeragf yrq gb gur cbyne ertvbaf fcernqvat gb
> pbire gur ragver Rnegu, pnhfvat gur "Fabjonyy Rnegu" rirag.
> Qhevat juvpu crevbq ner gurfr riragf ulcbgurfvmrq gb unir ynfg
> unccrarq, naq gur rnegu sebmra bire?

Cryogenian

> 8. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Znwbe
> vapernfr va inevrgvrf bs cynagf naq navznyf. Svefg pubeqngr
> navznyf nccrne, svefg cerqngbef nccrne, cerphefbef sbe nyy
> bs zbqrea culyn bs navznyf cerfrag. Fhcrepbagvarag Tbaqjnan
> rzretrf. Shatv nccrne.

Cambrian

> 9. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Gur svefg
> sreaf, frrq-ornevat cynagf, naq gerrf nccrne ba ynaq. Wnjrq svfu
> ehyr gur frn. Nccnynpuvna Zbhagnvaf orvat sbezvat.

Ordovician

> 10. Qhevat jung crevbq qvq gur Grgulf Bprna qvfnccrne nf gur
> Vaqb-Nhfgenyvna cyngr pbyyvqrq jvgu gur Rhenfvna cyngr,
> riraghnyyl chfuvat hc gur Uvznynlna Zbhagnvaf nf Vaqvn pbagvahrq
> vgf znepu abegu?

Paleogene; Jurassic

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge

> * A. Literature: Super-lative Heroes

> A1. The first group of X-Men, published continually since 1963.
> (For the first 19 years it was it was the only group
> of X-Men).

uncanny

> * B. Science: Lines on a Graph

> B1. A straight line that a given curve approaches but does
> not meet, as one of the variables in the equation approaches
> infinity.

asymptote

> B2. A line that touches a curve at only one point, at which
> the slopes of the line and curve are equal.

tangent

> * C. Geography: World Flags

> C1. This Asian nation is the only country whose flag is
> not a rectangle or square; it is a 5-sided figure.
> What country is this?

Nepal

> C2. This African nation is the only country to have used a
> flag in recent history that was a single solid color,
> without any design. What country is this?

Libya

> * D. History: English Peerage Titles

> D1. Born Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Battenberg in 1900,
> he is more commonly known by the peerage title he held
> at his death, or the title of his political position.
> Give *either*.

Lord Mountbatten

> D2. This person, born 1925, """has""" the peerage title Baroness
> of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire. What """is"""
> her real name?

Margaret Thatcher

> * E. Entertainment: Wham!

> E1. US soldiers in Iraq """have""" used this Wham-O product
> to detect tripwires. Not military issue, soldiers """have
> been having""" their families send it to them by the case.
> Name the Wham-O product.

Silly String

> E2. The Coen brothers' 1994 film "The Hudsucker Proxy" tells
> a fictionalized story about the invention of this Wham-O
> product. In the movie it's referred to, among other things,
> as an "Extruded Plastic Dingus". Give the actual name of
> the Wham-O product.

Frisbee

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge round

<9eebd048-9df0-4247-aeb6-1fd6728a52fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3888&group=rec.games.trivia#3888

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 12 May 2022 04:55 UTC

On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 11:08:26 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - Geologic Time Scale
>
> Please see <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-9/geol.pdf>, and
> answer these questions about facts from the geologic time scale.
>
> 1. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#1"
> on the handout?

era

> 2. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#2"?

period

> 4. The epoch we are currently living in, the Holocene, has another
> accepted name. This name is based on the supposition that
> mankind is the primary force affecting the current and future
> cycles of life of earth. What is this alternative name?

Anthropocene
> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.
>
> 5. Jung *ren* ner jr pheeragyl yvivat va? Vg'f fubja ol #3 ba gur
> puneg, jvgu n fgnegvat cbvag 65,000,000 lrnef ntb. Vgf anzr
> vf qrevirq sebz gur Terrx jbeqf sbe "arj" naq "yvsr", naq vg'f
> nyfb ersreerq gb nf gur Ntr bs Znzznyf.

Cenozoic

> 7. Gur nafjref gb dhrfgvbaf #7-10 ner crevbqf anzrq ba gur puneg.
> Nsgre gur oernxhc bs gur fhcrepbagvarag Ebqvavn, gur qvfehcgvba
> bs gur bprna pheeragf yrq gb gur cbyne ertvbaf fcernqvat gb
> pbire gur ragver Rnegu, pnhfvat gur "Fabjonyy Rnegu" rirag.
> Qhevat juvpu crevbq ner gurfr riragf ulcbgurfvmrq gb unir ynfg
> unccrarq, naq gur rnegu sebmra bire?

Ordovician; Silurian

> 8. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Znwbe
> vapernfr va inevrgvrf bs cynagf naq navznyf. Svefg pubeqngr
> navznyf nccrne, svefg cerqngbef nccrne, cerphefbef sbe nyy
> bs zbqrea culyn bs navznyf cerfrag. Fhcrepbagvarag Tbaqjnan
> rzretrf. Shatv nccrne.

Devonian; Carboniferous Mississippian

> 9. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Gur svefg
> sreaf, frrq-ornevat cynagf, naq gerrf nccrne ba ynaq. Wnjrq svfu
> ehyr gur frn. Nccnynpuvna Zbhagnvaf orvat sbezvat.

Carboniferous Pennsylvania; Permian

> 10. Qhevat jung crevbq qvq gur Grgulf Bprna qvfnccrne nf gur
> Vaqb-Nhfgenyvna cyngr pbyyvqrq jvgu gur Rhenfvna cyngr,
> riraghnyyl chfuvat hc gur Uvznynlna Zbhagnvaf nf Vaqvn pbagvahrq
> vgf znepu abegu?

Devonian; Silurian

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge
>
> * A. Literature: Super-lative Heroes
>
> We all know that Spider-Man is "Amazing" and the Hulk is
> "Incredible". But what are the usual adjectives associated
> with these other superpersons?
>
> A1. The first group of X-Men, published continually since 1963.
> (For the first 19 years it was it was the only group
> of X-Men).

Uncanny
> * B. Science: Lines on a Graph
>
> Give the correct name for the type of line found in a graphed
> equation that satisfies the given condition.
>
> B1. A straight line that a given curve approaches but does
> not meet, as one of the variables in the equation approaches
> infinity.

asymptote
> B2. A line that touches a curve at only one point, at which
> the slopes of the line and curve are equal.

tangent

> * C. Geography: World Flags
>
> C1. This Asian nation is the only country whose flag is
> not a rectangle or square; it is a 5-sided figure.
> What country is this?

Nepal
> C2. This African nation is the only country to have used a
> flag in recent history that was a single solid color,
> without any design. What country is this?

Libya

> * D. History: English Peerage Titles
>
> D1. Born Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Battenberg in 1900,
> he is more commonly known by the peerage title he held
> at his death, or the title of his political position.
> Give *either*.

Earl Mountbatten of Burma

> D2. This person, born 1925, """has""" the peerage title Baroness
> of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire. What """is"""
> her real name?

Margaret Thatcher

> * E. Entertainment: Wham!
>
> Answer these 2 questions about entertaining products from Wham-O.
>
> E1. US soldiers in Iraq """have""" used this Wham-O product
> to detect tripwires. Not military issue, soldiers """have
> been having""" their families send it to them by the case.
> Name the Wham-O product.

Silly Putty

> E2. The Coen brothers' 1994 film "The Hudsucker Proxy" tells
> a fictionalized story about the invention of this Wham-O
> product. In the movie it's referred to, among other things,
> as an "Extruded Plastic Dingus". Give the actual name of
> the Wham-O product.

Hula-Hoop

> * F. Sports: FIFA Tourneys
>
> *Note*: In each case either give the original answer or else
> give the year and country for a future occurrence of the
> respective tournament.
>
> F1. What country """will host""" FIFA's 2018 World Cup?

Qatar - 2022

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge round

<t5jaao$d6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3889&group=rec.games.trivia#3889

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:49:44 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 12 May 2022 15:49 UTC

On 5/11/22 21:08, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - Geologic Time Scale
>
> Please see <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-9/geol.pdf>, and
> answer these questions about facts from the geologic time scale.
>
> 1. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#1"
> on the handout?

Era

> 2. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#2"?

Era

> 3. The lowest subdivisions shown in the handout are epochs; but
> epochs are further divided into another level, which includes
> such spans as the Ionian, the Calabrian, and the Aquitanian.
> What are those next-level subdivisions called?

Age

> 4. The epoch we are currently living in, the Holocene, has another
> accepted name. This name is based on the supposition that
> mankind is the primary force affecting the current and future
> cycles of life of earth. What is this alternative name?

Anthopocene

> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.
>
> 5. Jung *ren* ner jr pheeragyl yvivat va? Vg'f fubja ol #3 ba gur
> puneg, jvgu n fgnegvat cbvag 65,000,000 lrnef ntb. Vgf anzr
> vf qrevirq sebz gur Terrx jbeqf sbe "arj" naq "yvsr", naq vg'f
> nyfb ersreerq gb nf gur Ntr bs Znzznyf.

Neozoic

> 6. Dhrfgvbaf #6-10 rnpu nfx lbh gb anzr n *crevbq*, v.r. n ebj
> haqre gur urnqvat "(#2)". Tvir gur anzr bs gur crevbq fubja
> ol "#5" ba gur unaqbhg. Vgf raqcbvag jnf gur znff rkgvapgvba
> qhevat juvpu gur qvabfnhef qvfnccrnerq.

Cretaceous

> 7. Gur nafjref gb dhrfgvbaf #7-10 ner crevbqf anzrq ba gur puneg.
> Nsgre gur oernxhc bs gur fhcrepbagvarag Ebqvavn, gur qvfehcgvba
> bs gur bprna pheeragf yrq gb gur cbyne ertvbaf fcernqvat gb
> pbire gur ragver Rnegu, pnhfvat gur "Fabjonyy Rnegu" rirag.
> Qhevat juvpu crevbq ner gurfr riragf ulcbgurfvmrq gb unir ynfg
> unccrarq, naq gur rnegu sebmra bire?

Neo-proterozoic

> 8. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Znwbe
> vapernfr va inevrgvrf bs cynagf naq navznyf. Svefg pubeqngr
> navznyf nccrne, svefg cerqngbef nccrne, cerphefbef sbe nyy
> bs zbqrea culyn bs navznyf cerfrag. Fhcrepbagvarag Tbaqjnan
> rzretrf. Shatv nccrne.

Cambrian

> 9. Tvir gur crevbq jura gur sbyybjvat riragf bppheerq. Gur svefg
> sreaf, frrq-ornevat cynagf, naq gerrf nccrne ba ynaq. Wnjrq svfu
> ehyr gur frn. Nccnynpuvna Zbhagnvaf orvat sbezvat.

Silurian

> 10. Qhevat jung crevbq qvq gur Grgulf Bprna qvfnccrne nf gur
> Vaqb-Nhfgenyvna cyngr pbyyvqrq jvgu gur Rhenfvna cyngr,
> riraghnyyl chfuvat hc gur Uvznynlna Zbhagnvaf nf Vaqvn pbagvahrq
> vgf znepu abegu?

Carboniferous Pennsylvanian; Carboniferous Mississippian

> This round included an emergency question. Answer if you like
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Give the *eon* during which there is the first evidence
> of possible life, as silicon fragments from this time contain
> compounds of photosynthetic kerogen.

Hadean

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge
>
> * A. Literature: Super-lative Heroes
>
> We all know that Spider-Man is "Amazing" and the Hulk is
> "Incredible". But what are the usual adjectives associated
> with these other superpersons?
>
> A1. The first group of X-Men, published continually since 1963.
> (For the first 19 years it was it was the only group
> of X-Men).
>
> A2. Iron Man.
>

> * B. Science: Lines on a Graph
>
> Give the correct name for the type of line found in a graphed
> equation that satisfies the given condition.
>
> B1. A straight line that a given curve approaches but does
> not meet, as one of the variables in the equation approaches
> infinity.

asymptote

> B2. A line that touches a curve at only one point, at which
> the slopes of the line and curve are equal.

tangent

> * C. Geography: World Flags
>
> C1. This Asian nation is the only country whose flag is
> not a rectangle or square; it is a 5-sided figure.
> What country is this?

Nepal

> C2. This African nation is the only country to have used a
> flag in recent history that was a single solid color,
> without any design. What country is this?

Libya

> * D. History: English Peerage Titles
>
> D1. Born Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Battenberg in 1900,
> he is more commonly known by the peerage title he held
> at his death, or the title of his political position.
> Give *either*.

Lord Mountbatten

> D2. This person, born 1925, """has""" the peerage title Baroness
> of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire. What """is"""
> her real name?

Margaret Thatcher

> * E. Entertainment: Wham!
>
> Answer these 2 questions about entertaining products from Wham-O.
>
> E1. US soldiers in Iraq """have""" used this Wham-O product
> to detect tripwires. Not military issue, soldiers """have
> been having""" their families send it to them by the case.
> Name the Wham-O product.
>
> E2. The Coen brothers' 1994 film "The Hudsucker Proxy" tells
> a fictionalized story about the invention of this Wham-O
> product. In the movie it's referred to, among other things,
> as an "Extruded Plastic Dingus". Give the actual name of
> the Wham-O product.

frisbee; hula hoop

> * F. Sports: FIFA Tourneys
>
> *Note*: In each case either give the original answer or else
> give the year and country for a future occurrence of the
> respective tournament.
>
> F1. What country """will host""" FIFA's 2018 World Cup?
> F2. What nation """will host""" FIFA's 2015 Women's World Cup?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge round

<XnsAE95D08306BA9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3890&group=rec.games.trivia#3890

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 20:29:51 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:29 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - Geologic Time Scale

I remember that I read a book on this with fascination when I was
eight years old or so. But since that was while ago, I've forgotten
most of it. And I didn't know English then, so I read a Swedish
book. Anyway, I give a try on this question:
> 10. Qhevat jung crevbq qvq gur Grgulf Bprna qvfnccrne nf gur
> Vaqb-Nhfgenyvna cyngr pbyyvqrq jvgu gur Rhenfvna cyngr,
> riraghnyyl chfuvat hc gur Uvznynlna Zbhagnvaf nf Vaqvn pbagvahrq
> vgf znepu abegu?

Neogene
> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge
>
> * A. Literature: Super-lative Heroes
>
> * B. Science: Lines on a Graph
>
> Give the correct name for the type of line found in a graphed
> equation that satisfies the given condition.
>
> B1. A straight line that a given curve approaches but does
> not meet, as one of the variables in the equation approaches
> infinity.

Asymptote
> B2. A line that touches a curve at only one point, at which
> the slopes of the line and curve are equal.

Tangent
> * C. Geography: World Flags
>
> C1. This Asian nation is the only country whose flag is
> not a rectangle or square; it is a 5-sided figure.
> What country is this?

Nepal
> C2. This African nation is the only country to have used a
> flag in recent history that was a single solid color,
> without any design. What country is this?

Libya
> * F. Sports: FIFA Tourneys
>
> *Note*: In each case either give the original answer or else
> give the year and country for a future occurrence of the
> respective tournament.
>
> F1. What country """will host""" FIFA's 2018 World Cup?

Russia

> F2. What nation """will host""" FIFA's 2015 Women's World Cup?

Australia and New Zealand will host the event in 2023.

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: geologic time, challenge round

<f301d4a9-3cdf-44ed-be05-20b3c20b9e72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3891&group=rec.games.trivia#3891

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 15:08:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:08 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 12:08:26 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - Geologic Time Scale
>
> Please see <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-9/geol.pdf>, and
> answer these questions about facts from the geologic time scale.
>
> 1. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#1"
> on the handout?

era

> 2. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#2"?

period

> 3. The lowest subdivisions shown in the handout are epochs; but
> epochs are further divided into another level, which includes
> such spans as the Ionian, the Calabrian, and the Aquitanian.
> What are those next-level subdivisions called?

chronozones

> 4. The epoch we are currently living in, the Holocene, has another
> accepted name. This name is based on the supposition that
> mankind is the primary force affecting the current and future
> cycles of life of earth. What is this alternative name?

anthropocene

> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.

> 5. What *era* are we currently living in? It's shown by #3 on the
> chart, with a starting point 65,000,000 years ago. Its name
> is derived from the Greek words for "new" and "life", and it's
> also referred to as the Age of Mammals.

cenozoic

> 6. Questions #6-10 each ask you to name a *period*, i.e. a row
> under the heading "(#2)". Give the name of the period shown
> by "#5" on the handout. Its endpoint was the mass extinction
> during which the dinosaurs disappeared.

cretaceous

> 7. The answers to questions #7-10 are periods named on the chart.
> After the breakup of the supercontinent Rodinia, the disruption
> of the ocean currents led to the polar regions spreading to
> cover the entire Earth, causing the "Snowball Earth" event.
> During which period are these events hypothesized to have last
> happened, and the earth frozen over?

cryogenian

> 8. Give the period when the following events occurred. Major
> increase in varieties of plants and animals. First chordate
> animals appear, first predators appear, precursors for all
> of modern phyla of animals present. Supercontinent Gondwana
> emerges. Fungi appear.

cambrian

> 9. Give the period when the following events occurred. The first
> ferns, seed-bearing plants, and trees appear on land. Jawed fish
> rule the sea. Appalachian Mountains being forming.

devonian

> 10. During what period did the Tethys Ocean disappear as the
> Indo-Australian plate collided with the Eurasian plate,
> eventually pushing up the Himalayan Mountains as India continued
> its march north?

paleogene

> This round included an emergency question. Answer if you like
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Give the *eon* during which there is the first evidence
> of possible life, as silicon fragments from this time contain
> compounds of photosynthetic kerogen.

hadean

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge
>
> * A. Literature: Super-lative Heroes
>
> We all know that Spider-Man is "Amazing" and the Hulk is
> "Incredible". But what are the usual adjectives associated
> with these other superpersons?
>
> A1. The first group of X-Men, published continually since 1963.
> (For the first 19 years it was it was the only group
> of X-Men).

uncanny

> A2. Iron Man.

invincible

> * B. Science: Lines on a Graph
>
> Give the correct name for the type of line found in a graphed
> equation that satisfies the given condition.
>
> B1. A straight line that a given curve approaches but does
> not meet, as one of the variables in the equation approaches
> infinity.

asymptote

> B2. A line that touches a curve at only one point, at which
> the slopes of the line and curve are equal.

tangent

> * C. Geography: World Flags
>
> C1. This Asian nation is the only country whose flag is
> not a rectangle or square; it is a 5-sided figure.
> What country is this?

nepal

> C2. This African nation is the only country to have used a
> flag in recent history that was a single solid color,
> without any design. What country is this?

libya

> * D. History: English Peerage Titles
>
> D1. Born Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Battenberg in 1900,
> he is more commonly known by the peerage title he held
> at his death, or the title of his political position.
> Give *either*.

lord mountbatten

> D2. This person, born 1925, """has""" the peerage title Baroness
> of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire. What """is"""
> her real name?

margaret "the iron lady" thatcher

> * E. Entertainment: Wham!
>
> Answer these 2 questions about entertaining products from Wham-O.
>
> E1. US soldiers in Iraq """have""" used this Wham-O product
> to detect tripwires. Not military issue, soldiers """have
> been having""" their families send it to them by the case.
> Name the Wham-O product.

silly string

> E2. The Coen brothers' 1994 film "The Hudsucker Proxy" tells
> a fictionalized story about the invention of this Wham-O
> product. In the movie it's referred to, among other things,
> as an "Extruded Plastic Dingus". Give the actual name of
> the Wham-O product.

hula hoop

> * F. Sports: FIFA Tourneys
>
> *Note*: In each case either give the original answer or else
> give the year and country for a future occurrence of the
> respective tournament.
>
> F1. What country """will host""" FIFA's 2018 World Cup?

russia

> F2. What nation """will host""" FIFA's 2015 Women's World Cup?

canada

> --
> Mark Brader | "...most people who borrow over $1,000,000 from a bank
> Toronto | would at least remember the name of the bank."
> m...@vex.net | -- Judge Donald Bowman, Tax Court of Canada
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who buried his father in Arlington national cemetery 2 days ago

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: geologic time, challenge round

<I8SdnbtjEaQG4R3_nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3892&group=rec.games.trivia#3892

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: geologic time, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 23:07:55 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 15 May 2022 04:07 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 2 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner!
Hearty congratulations, eh?

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - Geologic Time Scale

> Please see <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-9/geol.pdf>, and
> answer these questions about facts from the geologic time scale.

> 1. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#1"
> on the handout?

Era. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 2. What is the term for the level of divisions represented by "#2"?

Period. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. The lowest subdivisions shown in the handout are epochs; but
> epochs are further divided into another level, which includes
> such spans as the Ionian, the Calabrian, and the Aquitanian.
> What are those next-level subdivisions called?

Ages or chrons or chronozones. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 4. The epoch we are currently living in, the Holocene, has another
> accepted name. This name is based on the supposition that
> mankind is the primary force affecting the current and future
> cycles of life of earth. What is this alternative name?

Anthropocene. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> Please decode the rot13 for the remaining questions only after
> you have finished with #1-4.

> 5. What *era* are we currently living in? It's shown by #3 on the
> chart, with a starting point 65,000,000 years ago. Its name
> is derived from the Greek words for "new" and "life", and it's
> also referred to as the Age of Mammals.

Cenozoic. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 6. Questions #6-10 each ask you to name a *period*, i.e. a row
> under the heading "(#2)". Give the name of the period shown
> by "#5" on the handout. Its endpoint was the mass extinction
> during which the dinosaurs disappeared.

Cretaceous. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 7. The answers to questions #7-10 are periods named on the chart.
> After the breakup of the supercontinent Rodinia, the disruption
> of the ocean currents led to the polar regions spreading to
> cover the entire Earth, causing the "Snowball Earth" event.
> During which period are these events hypothesized to have last
> happened, and the earth frozen over?

Cryogenian. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 8. Give the period when the following events occurred. Major
> increase in varieties of plants and animals. First chordate
> animals appear, first predators appear, precursors for all
> of modern phyla of animals present. Supercontinent Gondwana
> emerges. Fungi appear.

Cambrian. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 9. Give the period when the following events occurred. The first
> ferns, seed-bearing plants, and trees appear on land. Jawed fish
> rule the sea. Appalachian Mountains being forming.

Devonian. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. During what period did the Tethys Ocean disappear as the
> Indo-Australian plate collided with the Eurasian plate,
> eventually pushing up the Himalayan Mountains as India continued
> its march north?

Paleogene. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> This round included an emergency question. Answer if you like
> for fun, but for no points.

> 11. Give the *eon* during which there is the first evidence
> of possible life, as silicon fragments from this time contain
> compounds of photosynthetic kerogen.

Hadean. Dan Tilque and Stephen got this.

As to the other blank on the handout, #4, note that this super eon
coincides with the Phanerozoic Eon, so it doens't need its own name
as a super eon.

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge

> * A. Literature: Super-lative Heroes

> We all know that Spider-Man is "Amazing" and the Hulk is
> "Incredible". But what are the usual adjectives associated
> with these other superpersons?

> A1. The first group of X-Men, published continually since 1963.
> (For the first 19 years it was it was the only group
> of X-Men).

Uncanny. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> A2. Iron Man.

Invincible. 4 for Stephen.

> * B. Science: Lines on a Graph

> Give the correct name for the type of line found in a graphed
> equation that satisfies the given condition.

> B1. A straight line that a given curve approaches but does
> not meet, as one of the variables in the equation approaches
> infinity.

Asymptote. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Stephen.

> B2. A line that touches a curve at only one point, at which
> the slopes of the line and curve are equal.

Tangent. 4 for everyone.

> * C. Geography: World Flags

> C1. This Asian nation is the only country whose flag is
> not a rectangle or square; it is a 5-sided figure.
> What country is this?

Nepal. 4 for everyone.

> C2. This African nation is the only country to have used a
> flag in recent history that was a single solid color,
> without any design. What country is this?

Libya. 4 for everyone.

They used http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/l/ly_1977.gif from
1977 to 2011. With Khadafi gone, they have now returned to their
1951-69 flag, http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/l/ly.gif

> * D. History: English Peerage Titles

> D1. Born Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Battenberg in 1900,
> he is more commonly known by the peerage title he held
> at his death, or the title of his political position.
> Give *either*.

Lord/Earl Mountbatten (of Burma), Viceroy (later interim
Governor-General) of India. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> D2. This person, born 1925, """has""" the peerage title Baroness
> of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire. What """is"""
> her real name?

Margaret Thatcher. (She died in 2013.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> * E. Entertainment: Wham!

> Answer these 2 questions about entertaining products from Wham-O.

> E1. US soldiers in Iraq """have""" used this Wham-O product
> to detect tripwires. Not military issue, soldiers """have
> been having""" their families send it to them by the case.
> Name the Wham-O product.

Silly String. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> E2. The Coen brothers' 1994 film "The Hudsucker Proxy" tells
> a fictionalized story about the invention of this Wham-O
> product. In the movie it's referred to, among other things,
> as an "Extruded Plastic Dingus". Give the actual name of
> the Wham-O product.

Hula Hoop. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> * F. Sports: FIFA Tourneys

> *Note*: In each case either give the original answer or else
> give the year and country for a future occurrence of the
> respective tournament.

> F1. What country """will host""" FIFA's 2018 World Cup?

2018 answer: Russia. 2022 answer: Qatar. 2026 answer: US, Mexico,
and Canada -- all three required. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Stephen.

> F2. What nation """will host""" FIFA's 2015 Women's World Cup?

2015 answer: Canada. 2023 answer: Australia and New Zealand --
both required. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

The host for the 2027 event has not yet been decided.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Lit Geo Spo Ent Mis Sci Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 32 20 28 31 16 36 195
Dan Blum 36 36 24 8 23 24 27 32 179
Pete Gayde -- -- 36 32 8 22 -- -- 98
Dan Tilque 32 4 -- -- 0 16 20 26 98
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- -- 40 48 88
Erland Sommarskog 32 4 -- -- 4 16 0 24 80

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net | "...but I could be wromg." --Rodney Boyd