From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Worn carb ...
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 07:54:20 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:54 UTC

Seems no matter how much I try , I just can't get the carb on the
1990 Ultra to quit dribblin' gas . Unsurprisingly after 121,000 miles,
it has significant wear in the holes in the carb body the the float pin
rides in , which lets the float tilt in the bowl . There is a difference
of about .050 from side to side when setting the float level ... and I'm
not machinist enough to bore them out for bushings . They only used this
carb for 2 years , '90 and '91 so parts are hard to find .
So , anybody got a 40 mm Keihin take off with low mileage they want
to sell ? I've looked online at new ones , Keihins are out of my budget
and I'm leery of the chinese knockoffs .
Have a shot or 3 of this Ezra 99 while you check your parts boxes ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Worn carb ...

<u6afs1$3mine$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=386&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#386

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Re: Worn carb ...
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:25:52 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 19:25 UTC

On 6/7/2023 5:54 AM, Snag wrote:
>   Seems no matter how much I try , I just can't get the carb on the
> 1990 Ultra to quit dribblin' gas . Unsurprisingly after 121,000 miles,
> it has significant wear in the holes in the carb body the the float pin
> rides in , which lets the float tilt in the bowl . There is a difference
> of about .050 from side to side when setting the float level ... and I'm
> not machinist enough to bore them out for bushings . They only used this
> carb for 2 years , '90 and '91 so parts are hard to find .
>   So , anybody got a 40 mm Keihin take off with low mileage they want
> to sell ? I've looked online at new ones , Keihins are out of my budget
> and I'm leery of the chinese knockoffs .
>   Have a shot or 3 of this Ezra 99 while you check your parts boxes ...

Dribbling carbs usually come down to two things. Bad gaskets and/or
worn out float needle/seat.

Worse comes to worse this is your chance to throw that EV27 CAM and S&S
E series carb on it. Besides I love the race track method S&S taught
for tuning that carb just right. LOL. Not easy and takes lots of
excess time, but lots of fun.

Now if only you could find an old set of White Bros 2:1 headers for it
and you would be set.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Re: Worn carb ...

<u6aiep$3mtgd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=387&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#387

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:10:04 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:10 UTC

On 6/13/2023 2:25 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 6/7/2023 5:54 AM, Snag wrote:
>>    Seems no matter how much I try , I just can't get the carb on the
>> 1990 Ultra to quit dribblin' gas . Unsurprisingly after 121,000 miles,
>> it has significant wear in the holes in the carb body the the float
>> pin rides in , which lets the float tilt in the bowl . There is a
>> difference of about .050 from side to side when setting the float
>> level ... and I'm not machinist enough to bore them out for bushings .
>> They only used this carb for 2 years , '90 and '91 so parts are hard
>> to find .
>>    So , anybody got a 40 mm Keihin take off with low mileage they want
>> to sell ? I've looked online at new ones , Keihins are out of my
>> budget and I'm leery of the chinese knockoffs .
>>    Have a shot or 3 of this Ezra 99 while you check your parts boxes ...
>

> Dribbling carbs usually come down to two things.  Bad gaskets and/or
> worn out float needle/seat.
>
> Worse comes to worse this is your chance to throw that EV27 CAM and S&S
> E series carb on it.  Besides I love the race track method S&S taught
> for tuning that carb just right.  LOL.  Not easy and takes lots of
> excess time, but lots of fun.
>
> Now if only you could find an old set of White Bros 2:1 headers for it
> and you would be set.

I got one of those knockoff CV's for it for 50 bucks ... and I think
it's already got an EV-27 in it . Guy at the shop that did the top end
for the previous owner couldn't remember if it was the EV-27 but he knew
it was the Andrews cam for heavy bikes .
The problem with the old one is likely a damaged needle seat , the
needle and float are both new . And the seat is not replaceable or so
I'm told . I suspect wear on the float pivot shaft supports may be part
of the problem . Whatever the cause is , I ain't going to spend any more
time on the old carb . I think I'll pass on the WB 2:1's , I've got the
rear pipe crossover 90% blocked so it's basically true duals with a
crossover . Sounds good and runs great so I ain't messin' with that
either .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Worn carb ...

<u6qdrt$25glf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=388&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#388

From: somed...@here.com (adule)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:29:48 -0500
 by: adule - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

On 6/7/2023 7:54 AM, Snag wrote:
>   Seems no matter how much I try , I just can't get the carb on the
> 1990 Ultra to quit dribblin' gas . Unsurprisingly after 121,000 miles,
> it has significant wear in the holes in the carb body the the float pin
> rides in , which lets the float tilt in the bowl . There is a difference
> of about .050 from side to side when setting the float level ... and I'm
> not machinist enough to bore them out for bushings . They only used this
> carb for 2 years , '90 and '91 so parts are hard to find .
>   So , anybody got a 40 mm Keihin take off with low mileage they want
> to sell ? I've looked online at new ones , Keihins are out of my budget
> and I'm leery of the chinese knockoffs .
>   Have a shot or 3 of this Ezra 99 while you check your parts boxes ...
Snag, I sent an email to the your *.msn. I've got a carb off a '90
Softail that might work for you. Low mileage. email:
PAXadule@PAXmail.com => 86 the PAXs.

Re: Worn carb ...

<u6qf1t$25mi1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=389&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#389

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:50:06 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 20:50 UTC

On 6/19/2023 3:29 PM, adule wrote:
> On 6/7/2023 7:54 AM, Snag wrote:
>>    Seems no matter how much I try , I just can't get the carb on the
>> 1990 Ultra to quit dribblin' gas . Unsurprisingly after 121,000 miles,
>> it has significant wear in the holes in the carb body the the float
>> pin rides in , which lets the float tilt in the bowl . There is a
>> difference of about .050 from side to side when setting the float
>> level ... and I'm not machinist enough to bore them out for bushings .
>> They only used this carb for 2 years , '90 and '91 so parts are hard
>> to find .
>>    So , anybody got a 40 mm Keihin take off with low mileage they want
>> to sell ? I've looked online at new ones , Keihins are out of my
>> budget and I'm leery of the chinese knockoffs .
>>    Have a shot or 3 of this Ezra 99 while you check your parts boxes ...
> Snag, I sent an email to the your *.msn. I've got a carb off a '90
> Softail that might work for you. Low mileage. email:
> PAXadule@PAXmail.com => 86 the PAXs.

That's my spamtrap email ... I'll respond on my main account . Have a
shot of this Ezra '99 ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Worn carb ...

<u6qfqq$25pra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=390&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#390

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:03:23 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 21:03 UTC

On 6/19/2023 3:29 PM, adule wrote:
> On 6/7/2023 7:54 AM, Snag wrote:
>>    Seems no matter how much I try , I just can't get the carb on the
>> 1990 Ultra to quit dribblin' gas . Unsurprisingly after 121,000 miles,
>> it has significant wear in the holes in the carb body the the float
>> pin rides in , which lets the float tilt in the bowl . There is a
>> difference of about .050 from side to side when setting the float
>> level ... and I'm not machinist enough to bore them out for bushings .
>> They only used this carb for 2 years , '90 and '91 so parts are hard
>> to find .
>>    So , anybody got a 40 mm Keihin take off with low mileage they want
>> to sell ? I've looked online at new ones , Keihins are out of my
>> budget and I'm leery of the chinese knockoffs .
>>    Have a shot or 3 of this Ezra 99 while you check your parts boxes ...
> Snag, I sent an email to the your *.msn. I've got a carb off a '90
> Softail that might work for you. Low mileage. email:
> PAXadule@PAXmail.com => 86 the PAXs.

I don't see an email from you , but I did figure out your email .
Incoming !
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts