From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: How to spirit eggs
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:35:29 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 07:35 UTC

Hello, all

Can you please explain to me the meaning of "spiriting"
eggs, as Margarita Cuff describes in "Short, Sweet Summer of
a Tomboy":

My father taught me how to choose the most perfect eggs
to spirit under the clucks after dark. We screbbed the
eggs with our color crayons to identify them from the new
eggs laid by others in the flock. I know how the eye of
the egg grows, how the embryo looks as it develops. I
saw the wet feathers of the unhatched chick and knew the
indescribably wonder as the fluffy bits of yellow emerged
into the sunlight for the first time.

Does `spirit' here mean to steal or to animate? In either
case, I do not understand the description. What did she do
to observe the embryo at various states of its development?

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: How to spirit eggs

<pp7h2hd55hdfk3cskrqiegpuado1buc42a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3839&group=alt.english.usage#3839

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: How to spirit eggs
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 14:38:26 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:38 UTC

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:35:29 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

>Hello, all
>
>Can you please explain to me the meaning of "spiriting"
>eggs, as Margarita Cuff describes in "Short, Sweet Summer of
>a Tomboy":
>
> My father taught me how to choose the most perfect eggs
> to spirit under the clucks after dark. We screbbed the
> eggs with our color crayons to identify them from the new
> eggs laid by others in the flock. I know how the eye of
> the egg grows, how the embryo looks as it develops. I
> saw the wet feathers of the unhatched chick and knew the
> indescribably wonder as the fluffy bits of yellow emerged
> into the sunlight for the first time.
>
>Does `spirit' here mean to steal or to animate? In either
>case, I do not understand the description. What did she do
>to observe the embryo at various states of its development?

I'm not sure, but from the context I think it means the opposite of
steal -- to put eggs under a hen that come from another hen, so that
she will hatch them, perhaps because the real mother has died or
abandoned them.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: How to spirit eggs

<n09h2hdkvpnfg2e11o5pqr98iodp6qee34@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3840&group=alt.english.usage#3840

From: mai...@peterduncanson.net (Peter Duncanson [BrE])
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 13:02:48 +0000
 by: Peter Duncanson [BrE - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:02 UTC

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:35:29 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

>Hello, all
>
>Can you please explain to me the meaning of "spiriting"
>eggs, as Margarita Cuff describes in "Short, Sweet Summer of
>a Tomboy":
>
> My father taught me how to choose the most perfect eggs
> to spirit under the clucks after dark. We screbbed the
> eggs with our color crayons to identify them from the new
> eggs laid by others in the flock. I know how the eye of
> the egg grows, how the embryo looks as it develops. I
> saw the wet feathers of the unhatched chick and knew the
> indescribably wonder as the fluffy bits of yellow emerged
> into the sunlight for the first time.
>
>Does `spirit' here mean to steal or to animate? In either
>case, I do not understand the description. What did she do
>to observe the embryo at various states of its development?

I guessed that "spirit" might mean to apply a fluid such as methylated
spirit, white spirit, etc, to the eggshells to make them transparent.

In fact it seems that vinegar is a fluid that can make an eggshell
transparent.

https://www.education.com/activity/article/see_through_egg_first/

See-Through Egg Science
First Grade Science Activities: See-Through Egg Science

In first grade, students learn about living things – what they need,
how they grow, and how they change. First graders are often given
the opportunity to observe living things up close in the classroom,
from insects to chicks. But what if things are growing that we can't
see, such as seeds or chrysalises or eggs?

Here's a science exploration that your child can do with a real
chicken egg. Using vinegar, you can make the egg's shell
see-through, and observe what's going on inside!

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Re: How to spirit eggs

<t0a9ud$1a9g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3841&group=alt.english.usage#3841

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:26:35 -0500
 by: CDB - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:26 UTC

On 3/9/2022 8:02 AM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
> Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

>> Hello, all

>> Can you please explain to me the meaning of "spiriting" eggs,
>> as Margarita Cuff describes in "Short, Sweet Summer of a Tomboy":

>> My father taught me how to choose the most perfect eggs to spirit
>> under the clucks after dark. We screbbed the eggs with our color
>> crayons to identify them from the new eggs laid by others in the
>> flock. I know how the eye of the egg grows, how the embryo
>> looks as it develops. I saw the wet feathers of the unhatched
>> chick and knew the indescribably wonder as the fluffy bits of
>> yellow emerged into the sunlight for the first time.

>> Does `spirit' here mean to steal or to animate? In either case,
>> I do not understand the description. What did she do to observe
>> the embryo at various states of its development?
>
> I guessed that "spirit" might mean to apply a fluid such as
> methylated spirit, white spirit, etc, to the eggshells to make them
> transparent.

> In fact it seems that vinegar is a fluid that can make an eggshell
> transparent.

> https://www.education.com/activity/article/see_through_egg_first/

> See-Through Egg Science First Grade Science Activities: See-Through
> Egg Science

> In first grade, students learn about living things – what they need,
> how they grow, and how they change. First graders are often given the
> opportunity to observe living things up close in the classroom, from
> insects to chicks. But what if things are growing that we can't see,
> such as seeds or chrysalises or eggs?

> Here's a science exploration that your child can do with a real
> chicken egg. Using vinegar, you can make the egg's shell see-through,
> and observe what's going on inside!

Or perhaps to see through by holding in front of a spirit lamp, as you
"candle" eggs by holding them in front of the flame of a candle?

Their marking of the eggs with crayon implies that they put them back
under the hen after examining them, and it seems to me that embryos,
which need to breathe, wouldn't survive harsh treatment of their shells.

There may also be a kind of association of ideas in the use of the verb
"spirit", which might be an extension of its use in "spirit away", to
remove by stealth. Presumably they did the "spiriting" after dark so
the the hens wouldn't realise what they were doing.

Re: How to spirit eggs

<ep9t2h92hf6rovbd853phchop7a96v9qbe@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3898&group=alt.english.usage#3898

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 04:26:47 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 02:26 UTC

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:26:35 -0500, CDB <bellemarecd@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/9/2022 8:02 AM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
>> Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hello, all
>
>>> Can you please explain to me the meaning of "spiriting" eggs,
>>> as Margarita Cuff describes in "Short, Sweet Summer of a Tomboy":
>
>>> My father taught me how to choose the most perfect eggs to spirit
>>> under the clucks after dark. We screbbed the eggs with our color
>>> crayons to identify them from the new eggs laid by others in the
>>> flock. I know how the eye of the egg grows, how the embryo
>>> looks as it develops. I saw the wet feathers of the unhatched
>>> chick and knew the indescribably wonder as the fluffy bits of
>>> yellow emerged into the sunlight for the first time.
>
>>> Does `spirit' here mean to steal or to animate? In either case,
>>> I do not understand the description. What did she do to observe
>>> the embryo at various states of its development?
>>
>> I guessed that "spirit" might mean to apply a fluid such as
>> methylated spirit, white spirit, etc, to the eggshells to make them
>> transparent.
>
>> In fact it seems that vinegar is a fluid that can make an eggshell
>> transparent.
>
>> https://www.education.com/activity/article/see_through_egg_first/
>
>> See-Through Egg Science First Grade Science Activities: See-Through
>> Egg Science
>
>> In first grade, students learn about living things – what they need,
>> how they grow, and how they change. First graders are often given the
>> opportunity to observe living things up close in the classroom, from
>> insects to chicks. But what if things are growing that we can't see,
>> such as seeds or chrysalises or eggs?
>
>> Here's a science exploration that your child can do with a real
>> chicken egg. Using vinegar, you can make the egg's shell see-through,
>> and observe what's going on inside!
>
>Or perhaps to see through by holding in front of a spirit lamp, as you
>"candle" eggs by holding them in front of the flame of a candle?
>
>Their marking of the eggs with crayon implies that they put them back
>under the hen after examining them, and it seems to me that embryos,
>which need to breathe, wouldn't survive harsh treatment of their shells.
>
>There may also be a kind of association of ideas in the use of the verb
>"spirit", which might be an extension of its use in "spirit away", to
>remove by stealth. Presumably they did the "spiriting" after dark so
>the the hens wouldn't realise what they were doing.

Yes, in this context I think it means to place by steath rather than
to remove by stealth.

I don't think it has much to do with applying liquids to eggshells in
this context, though as a child I had a book that said that if you
soaked eggs in soething called "waterglass" you could soften the shell
and squeeze them into the neck of a bottle.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: How to spirit eggs

<46qu2h51rp58ral01f72jh46df8ea095fd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3915&group=alt.english.usage#3915

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 09:20:03 -0700
 by: Mack A. Damia - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:20 UTC

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:35:29 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

>Hello, all
>
>Can you please explain to me the meaning of "spiriting"
>eggs, as Margarita Cuff describes in "Short, Sweet Summer of
>a Tomboy":
>
> My father taught me how to choose the most perfect eggs
> to spirit under the clucks after dark. We screbbed the
> eggs with our color crayons to identify them from the new
> eggs laid by others in the flock. I know how the eye of
> the egg grows, how the embryo looks as it develops. I
> saw the wet feathers of the unhatched chick and knew the
> indescribably wonder as the fluffy bits of yellow emerged
> into the sunlight for the first time.
>
>Does `spirit' here mean to steal or to animate? In either
>case, I do not understand the description. What did she do
>to observe the embryo at various states of its development?

I think to "spirit" an egg in this context means to color it, usually
done at Easter time., but she was coloring eggs to identify them.

She did not observe the embryo. She knew about it, probably from
pictures, etc. If you have ever seen an egg hatch, you can see wet
feathers through the initial break.