All Finagle Laws may be bypassed by learning the simple art of doing without thinking.

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

SubjectAuthor
* Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,David Heiden
+* Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,JBrand
|`* Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,Elizabeth A
| `- Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,Will Johnson
`* Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,Patrick Nielsen Hayden
 `* Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,Darrell E. Larocque
  `* Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,Patrick Nielsen Hayden
   +- Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,Darrell E. Larocque
   `* Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,John Higgins
    `- Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,Johnny Brananas

1
Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<9fda0820-8d3d-4518-80fa-b1210b93625en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3931&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3931

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:09:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,
From: dahei...@gmail.com (David Heiden)
 by: David Heiden - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:09 UTC

Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690, of Middlesex Co., CT the son of George Griswold 1548-1615 and Dorothy James 1567-1630.

"The testimony of Capt. George Griswold aged about 72 years, and the testimony of Mr. John Griswold aged about 69 years, they both being sons of George Griswold, the deponents being both of Windsor in the county of Hartford and Colony of Connecticut in New England is as follows: viz: that our Grandfather's name was EDWARD GRISWOLD and it was formerly and has ever since been always accepted and reputed that our said Grandfather's father's name was yes is it snowing out there now I know where am I Little bit chubby OK darlin’ well I feel them now so they’re having a little picnic on Sunday OK bye-bye I can’t GRISWOLD and the said George Griswold our Great Grandfather had three sons, the eldest named Edward, the second named Matthew and the third or youngest son named Thomas; and the said Edward the eldest son and the said Matthew the second son came into New England from Killingsworth in Warwickshire in England; and in all our discourses amongst the families of said Griswolds in New England, together with other elderly observing gentlemen, they are and have ever been so accepted and reputed to be, without contradiction or gainsaying, according to the best of our remembrance.
"And the Deponents further add and say that the above named Edward Griswold's eldest son has always been called and reputed to be Francis Griswold, without any contradiction or gainsaying as aforesaid that we know of.
"Windsor in Hartford County in Connecticut, New England, personally appeared, on the 19th day of January, Anno Dom. 1737-8. Capt. George Griswold and John Griswold, the above named Deponents, and made solemn Oath, in due form of law, to the truth of the above written testimony, before me,
Henry Allan, Justice of Peace

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<7cf9c56c-48ed-4df1-9a4b-6fb70d7340a4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3932&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3932

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:41:12 -0800 (PST)
From: starbuc...@hotmail.com (JBrand)
 by: JBrand - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:41 UTC

On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 11:09:09 AM UTC-5, dahe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690, of Middlesex Co., CT the son of George Griswold 1548-1615 and Dorothy James 1567-1630.
>
> "The testimony of Capt. George Griswold aged about 72 years, and the testimony of Mr. John Griswold aged about 69 years, they both being sons of George Griswold, the deponents being both of Windsor in the county of Hartford and Colony of Connecticut in New England is as follows: viz: that our Grandfather's name was EDWARD GRISWOLD and it was formerly and has ever since been always accepted and reputed that our said Grandfather's father's name was yes is it snowing out there now I know where am I Little bit chubby OK darlin’ well I feel them now so they’re having a little picnic on Sunday OK bye-bye I can’t GRISWOLD and the said George Griswold our Great Grandfather had three sons, the eldest named Edward, the second named Matthew and the third or youngest son named Thomas; and the said Edward the eldest son and the said Matthew the second son came into New England from Killingsworth in Warwickshire in England; and in all our discourses amongst the families of said Griswolds in New England, together with other elderly observing gentlemen, they are and have ever been so accepted and reputed to be, without contradiction or gainsaying, according to the best of our remembrance.
> "And the Deponents further add and say that the above named Edward Griswold's eldest son has always been called and reputed to be Francis Griswold, without any contradiction or gainsaying as aforesaid that we know of.
> "Windsor in Hartford County in Connecticut, New England, personally appeared, on the 19th day of January, Anno Dom. 1737-8. Capt. George Griswold and John Griswold, the above named Deponents, and made solemn Oath, in due form of law, to the truth of the above written testimony, before me,
> Henry Allan, Justice of Peace

It's amazing that in the sixteenth century they named someone "Yes is it snowing out there now I know where am I Little bit chubby OK darlin’ well I feel them now so they’re having a little picnic on Sunday OK bye-bye I can’t Griswold." I guess sort of like Hate-Evil Nutter and Praise-God Barebones?

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<43048bed-eff7-4379-8a03-bac2eb7c248cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3933&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3933

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:50:59 -0800 (PST)
From: starwars...@gmail.com (Elizabeth A)
 by: Elizabeth A - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:50 UTC

On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 12:41:14 PM UTC-5, JBrand wrote:
> On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 11:09:09 AM UTC-5, dahe...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690, of Middlesex Co., CT the son of George Griswold 1548-1615 and Dorothy James 1567-1630.
> >
> > "The testimony of Capt. George Griswold aged about 72 years, and the testimony of Mr. John Griswold aged about 69 years, they both being sons of George Griswold, the deponents being both of Windsor in the county of Hartford and Colony of Connecticut in New England is as follows: viz: that our Grandfather's name was EDWARD GRISWOLD and it was formerly and has ever since been always accepted and reputed that our said Grandfather's father's name was yes is it snowing out there now I know where am I Little bit chubby OK darlin’ well I feel them now so they’re having a little picnic on Sunday OK bye-bye I can’t GRISWOLD and the said George Griswold our Great Grandfather had three sons, the eldest named Edward, the second named Matthew and the third or youngest son named Thomas; and the said Edward the eldest son and the said Matthew the second son came into New England from Killingsworth in Warwickshire in England; and in all our discourses amongst the families of said Griswolds in New England, together with other elderly observing gentlemen, they are and have ever been so accepted and reputed to be, without contradiction or gainsaying, according to the best of our remembrance.
> > "And the Deponents further add and say that the above named Edward Griswold's eldest son has always been called and reputed to be Francis Griswold, without any contradiction or gainsaying as aforesaid that we know of.
> > "Windsor in Hartford County in Connecticut, New England, personally appeared, on the 19th day of January, Anno Dom. 1737-8. Capt. George Griswold and John Griswold, the above named Deponents, and made solemn Oath, in due form of law, to the truth of the above written testimony, before me,
> > Henry Allan, Justice of Peace
> It's amazing that in the sixteenth century they named someone "Yes is it snowing out there now I know where am I Little bit chubby OK darlin’ well I feel them now so they’re having a little picnic on Sunday OK bye-bye I can’t Griswold." I guess sort of like Hate-Evil Nutter and Praise-God Barebones?

I too found it amusing, and questioned the authenticity of the alleged document. Then I realized that probably the poster was using voice-to-text to transcribe the document in question, when they were interrupted by a side-conversation, and didn't realize that their device was still transcribing their voice.

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<562828c0-ec5a-496e-95ba-e9c0ca667a9bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3935&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3935

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 06:44:23 -0800 (PST)
From: wjhonson...@gmail.com (Will Johnson)
 by: Will Johnson - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:44 UTC

It has been transcribed into Wikitree as well

"On 19 Jan 1737/8, Capt. George Griswold, aged about 72, and Mr. John Griswold, aged about 69, sons of George Griwsold, both of Windsor, Conn., testified that their grandfather's name was Edward Griswold, that their great-greatfather was George Griswold who had three sons, the eldest named Edward, the second named Matthew and the third or youngest named Thomas, of whom the first two came to New England from "Killigsworth" in Warwickshire; also that said Edward's eldest son has always been reputed to be Francis Griswold. "

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<slrnsub43b.grp.pnh@panix5.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3936&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3936

From: pnh...@panix.com (Patrick Nielsen Hayden)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:51:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Patrick Nielsen Hayd - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:51 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:09:07 -0800 (PST), David Heiden <daheiden@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690, of Middlesex Co.,
> CT the son of George Griswold 1548-1615 and Dorothy James 1567-1630.

This may be a little confused. To the best of my knowledge the 9 May 1700
testimony of George Griswold, aged about 67, does not address the identity
of the mother of the immigrant Edward Griswold; nor does the 19 Jan 1737/8
testimony of Capt. George Griswold, aged about 72.

Dorothy James was the wife of a Henry Griswold of Grete and Yardley. This
Henry Griswold is shown in a visitation of Warwickshire as the father of a
George Griswold, and this George Griswold was by some people identified
as the father of the immigrant Edward (b. 1607). But in 1963 Genevieve
Tylee Kiepura showed ("Griswold Ancestry in England", TAG 39:176) that the
marriage bond of Henry Griswold and Dorothy James is dated 1592, making it
implausible that their son George was the George who was identified by
multiple descendants as the father of the immigrant Edward.

Elsewhere in the same article it's noted that the parish record of Wooten
Wawen (a chapelry of Henley) contains the baptism of an Edward, son of
George Griswold, 26 Jul 1607, which matches tidily with records of the
immigrant's age; also the baptism of George, son of Roger, 6 Nov 1574, and
the burial of Dousabel, wife of George Griswold, 28 Aug 1615. This Dousabel
would seem to be a plausible candidate to have been the mother of the
immigrant Edward, even if his younger brothers had a different mother. A
Dousabel Leigh married a George Griswold on 1 Jul 1594 at Kenilworth. At
any rate, it seems reasonably clear that the immigrant Edward's mother was
not Dorothy James.

--
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
pnh@panix.com

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<312ae320-7fd1-4311-9aca-428a3a0fa23fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3937&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3937

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:17:16 -0800 (PST)
From: frenchco...@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:17 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 10:51:09 AM UTC-5, p...@panix.com wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:09:07 -0800 (PST), David Heiden <dahe...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690, of Middlesex Co.,
> > CT the son of George Griswold 1548-1615 and Dorothy James 1567-1630.
> This may be a little confused. To the best of my knowledge the 9 May 1700
> testimony of George Griswold, aged about 67, does not address the identity
> of the mother of the immigrant Edward Griswold; nor does the 19 Jan 1737/8
> testimony of Capt. George Griswold, aged about 72.
>
> Dorothy James was the wife of a Henry Griswold of Grete and Yardley. This
> Henry Griswold is shown in a visitation of Warwickshire as the father of a
> George Griswold, and this George Griswold was by some people identified
> as the father of the immigrant Edward (b. 1607). But in 1963 Genevieve
> Tylee Kiepura showed ("Griswold Ancestry in England", TAG 39:176) that the
> marriage bond of Henry Griswold and Dorothy James is dated 1592, making it
> implausible that their son George was the George who was identified by
> multiple descendants as the father of the immigrant Edward.
>
> Elsewhere in the same article it's noted that the parish record of Wooten
> Wawen (a chapelry of Henley) contains the baptism of an Edward, son of
> George Griswold, 26 Jul 1607, which matches tidily with records of the
> immigrant's age; also the baptism of George, son of Roger, 6 Nov 1574, and
> the burial of Dousabel, wife of George Griswold, 28 Aug 1615. This Dousabel
> would seem to be a plausible candidate to have been the mother of the
> immigrant Edward, even if his younger brothers had a different mother. A
> Dousabel Leigh married a George Griswold on 1 Jul 1594 at Kenilworth. At
> any rate, it seems reasonably clear that the immigrant Edward's mother was
> not Dorothy James.
>
> --
> Patrick Nielsen Hayden
> p...@panix.com
> http://nielsenhayden.com/genealogy-tng

Patrick,

I may have to send you an email regarding the Wentworth genealogy one of these days soon as I noticed it on your site. I am going to be working on my Berney of Reedham line and it ties into Wentworth in England. Have you been working on that family or your wife?

I am also a Margaret Wyatt Allyn descendant as well and I am curious to also view your research as well!

Darrell E. Larocque

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<slrnsuitk2.suu.pnh@panix5.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3940&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3940

From: pnh...@panix.com (Patrick Nielsen Hayden)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:49:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Patrick Nielsen Hayd - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:49 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:17:16 -0800 (PST),
Darrell E. Larocque <frenchconnection1973@gmail.com> wrote:

> Patrick,
>

> I may have to send you an email regarding the Wentworth genealogy one of
> these days soon as I noticed it on your site. I am going to be working on
> my Berney of Reedham line and it ties into Wentworth in England. Have you
> been working on that family or your wife?

All I know about the Berneys of Reedham is that a granddaughter of John
Berney of Reedham (d. 1440) married John Paston (1421-1466) of the Paston
Letters family. My knowledge of the ancestry of the immigrant William
Wentworth comes entirely from secondary sources, and my understanding is
that one or more articles forthcoming in TAG will disprove at least one of his
long-claimed royal ancestors. I'm no expert.

> I am also a Margaret Wyatt Allyn descendant as well and I am curious to
> also view your research as well!

It's all there on my site's entry for her:

http://nielsenhayden.com/genealogy-tng/getperson.php?personID=I4584&tree=nh1

I'm not holding anything back. There's lots more about her husband Matthew
Allyn, if you click through the link to his page; he was a genuinely
interesting figure in early Connecticut history. But this is getting a
little afield of medieval genealogy.

--
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
pnh@panix.com
http://nielsenhayden.com/genealogy-tng

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<3f2d9965-5b9d-46d5-8ee3-5fc7c033aa0en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3942&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3942

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:06:55 -0800 (PST)
From: frenchco...@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:06 UTC

On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 9:49:41 AM UTC-5, p...@panix.com wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:17:16 -0800 (PST),
> Darrell E. Larocque <frenchconn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Patrick,
> >

> > I may have to send you an email regarding the Wentworth genealogy one of
> > these days soon as I noticed it on your site. I am going to be working on
> > my Berney of Reedham line and it ties into Wentworth in England. Have you
> > been working on that family or your wife?
> All I know about the Berneys of Reedham is that a granddaughter of John
> Berney of Reedham (d. 1440) married John Paston (1421-1466) of the Paston
> Letters family. My knowledge of the ancestry of the immigrant William
> Wentworth comes entirely from secondary sources, and my understanding is
> that one or more articles forthcoming in TAG will disprove at least one of his
> long-claimed royal ancestors. I'm no expert.

That's fine, I didn't expect you to be an expert, far from it, just looking at what you have.

The Berney genealogy is more of a mess than the Devereux genealogy I had been working on. It turns out that many in the Paston Letters are my ancestors, but trying to identify the true lineages has proven to be incredibly frustrating.

If there is forthcoming information from TAG then I look forward to it.

> > I am also a Margaret Wyatt Allyn descendant as well and I am curious to
> > also view your research as well!
> It's all there on my site's entry for her:
>
> http://nielsenhayden.com/genealogy-tng/getperson.php?personID=I4584&tree=nh1
>
> I'm not holding anything back. There's lots more about her husband Matthew
> Allyn, if you click through the link to his page; he was a genuinely
> interesting figure in early Connecticut history. But this is getting a
> little afield of medieval genealogy.

I will look at it, and yes, it is not medieval, just a note!

Darrell

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<b4be5337-7988-4a9f-9a66-386dc1ed2c9dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3945&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3945

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:55:13 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:55 UTC

On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 6:49:41 AM UTC-8, p...@panix.com wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:17:16 -0800 (PST),
> Darrell E. Larocque <frenchconn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Patrick,

My knowledge of the ancestry of the immigrant William
> Wentworth comes entirely from secondary sources, and my understanding is
> that one or more articles forthcoming in TAG will disprove at least one of his
> long-claimed royal ancestors. I'm no expert.

> Patrick Nielsen Hayden
> p...@panix.com
> http://nielsenhayden.com/genealogy-tng
Terry J. Booth, Paul C. Reed, and Nathaniel Lane Taylor published an article in 2 parts in vol. 90 (2018) of TAG, showing the male-line ancestry of William Wentworth for five generations.. As I recall, there was a footnote discussing the status of various proposed royal descents for William Wentworth. Per the authors at that time, there may be further articles planned.

More recently the same authors published another article in 2 parts in vol. 91 (2021) of TAG regarding Margaret de Brewse, 1st Wife of Sir Thomas Hawley, which is subtitled "A New Royal Line for the Marbury-Wentworth Immigrant Cousins". I haven't yet read the 2nd two-part article.

You can see the detailed citations these articles here: https://americangenealogist.com/contents/recent-issues/

If your local library has an interlibrary service, it should be easy for you to obtain copies of these articles if you're interested.

Re: Looking for confirmation that Edward Griswold 1607-1690,

<a71033c7-dd05-42d9-ab51-42ade4f13ecen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3946&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3946

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 11:27:12 -0800 (PST)
From: ravinmav...@yahoo.com (Johnny Brananas)
 by: Johnny Brananas - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 19:27 UTC

On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 1:55:15 PM UTC-5, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 6:49:41 AM UTC-8, p...@panix.com wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:17:16 -0800 (PST),
> > Darrell E. Larocque <frenchconn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Patrick,
> > >

> My knowledge of the ancestry of the immigrant William
> > Wentworth comes entirely from secondary sources, and my understanding is
> > that one or more articles forthcoming in TAG will disprove at least one of his
> > long-claimed royal ancestors. I'm no expert.
> > Patrick Nielsen Hayden
> > p...@panix.com
> > http://nielsenhayden.com/genealogy-tng
> Terry J. Booth, Paul C. Reed, and Nathaniel Lane Taylor published an article in 2 parts in vol. 90 (2018) of TAG, showing the male-line ancestry of William Wentworth for five generations.. As I recall, there was a footnote discussing the status of various proposed royal descents for William Wentworth. Per the authors at that time, there may be further articles planned.
>
> More recently the same authors published another article in 2 parts in vol. 91 (2021) of TAG regarding Margaret de Brewse, 1st Wife of Sir Thomas Hawley, which is subtitled "A New Royal Line for the Marbury-Wentworth Immigrant Cousins". I haven't yet read the 2nd two-part article.
>
> You can see the detailed citations these articles here: https://americangenealogist.com/contents/recent-issues/
>
> If your local library has an interlibrary service, it should be easy for you to obtain copies of these articles if you're interested.

Margaret de Brewse (or de Braose) was a member of the same family ancestral to a number of other immigrants, including Gov. Thomas Dudley, Edmund Hawes, and (probably) the Ward-Markham group from Little Wratting.

I wonder what the Samuel Bellingham note is about ... hopefully not just a repetition of stuff that was posted on the newsgroup in the recent past.

https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/9CfzJSyc_R0/m/t-mlBMFpAgAJ

I notice that some collection of manuscripts contains (used to contain?) a letter from Samuel Bellingham to his son Samuel, 1666.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Catalogue_of_the_Manuscripts_Preserved/1f8UAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22samuel+bellingham%22+letter&pg=PA742&printsec=frontcover

Possibly the same people?