Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:52:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Jocelyn again
From: schenkej...@gmail.com (Jacqueline Schenke)
 by: Jacqueline Schenke - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 00:52 UTC

On Sunday, 7 January 2007 at 23:18:03 UTC+10:30, Murray Lynn wrote:
> Now that Tim and Leo have convincingly shown that the Jocelyn family
> history claiming Joscelin of Sempringham, father of St Gilbert, as their
> ancestor is incorrect (and have given me vast amounts of information on
> the Jocelyn family tree - thanks again guys!!), I have been wondering if
> I can identify the correct Jocelyn ancestor in the Domesday Book.
> The first firm location of the Jocelyn family, is Hyde Hall near
> Sawbridgeworth in Essex as early as about 1250 (possibly earlier
> according to one account). Their early marriages were to the "Battell
> (Battyle) family of Ongar" ca, 1226 - who appear to have be from
> Stapleford Abbots - and the Hydes of Hyde Hall ca. 1250.
> Assuming that they lived somewhere in the region of Sawbridgeworth ca
> 1086 and that their name was one of the many Jocelyn variants leads me
> to Goscelin the Lorimer of Becontree in Essex.
> Goscelin had the manor of Little Ilford - now Manor Park - at Ilford in
> London on the Roding River. His land was surrounded by church owned
> properties at Barking, East & West Ham etc.
> Little Ilford is only a few miles by river to Stapleford Abbott and
> assuming the river was a natural highway, it would make the then
> inhabitants of the Battell estate one of his nearest neighbours
> (especially since the direct neighbours were presumably religious
> establishments). Hide Hall is only a few more miles up the river -
> about 20 miles from Little Ilford.
> While this is very circumstantial evidence, I feel that Goscelin is a
> strong contender.
> Questions:
> - Does anyone know anything about Goscelin the Lorimer?
> - A lorimer appears to be a metal worker, given that he was some sort of
> nobleman or man of influence would he have been the King's armourer or
> similar?
> - Does a location near to London mean he was generally further up the
> pecking order in Williams court? Glancing at the lists of names in
> Domesday, those closer to London appear to have larger estates and 'seem
> more important'.
> - Is anything known about the Battells or the families of the earlier
> Jocelyn marriages (1200 - 1100): Chastelyn and possibly Threckenholm,
> Bissett, Goushold and Fleming - in particular where they lived?
> I have written up a lot of this at Joscelyn Notes
> <http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mlynn/16_Josselyn/FT_Joscelin_Notes_On_Early_History.html>
> - note that this is still a work in progress but contains most of the
> information I have been gathering.
>
> --
> Kind Regards
> Murray
> Christchurch
> New Zealand
> Web Site <http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mlynn/>
Hi all, I am I believe a descendant of Ralph Josselyn and Marie Bright. If anyone is interested in viewing my lineage of Josselyn's throughout Essex, England, let me know. :)

Re: Jocelyn again

<12cc6ee6-dec1-42e9-a4be-89610029382an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3972&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3972

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:48:56 -0800 (PST)
From: acheso...@gmail.com (ache...@gmail.com)
 by: ache...@gmail.com - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 19:48 UTC

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 7:52:15 PM UTC-5, Jacqueline Schenke wrote:
> [...]
> > - Is anything known about the Battells or the families of the earlier
> > Jocelyn marriages (1200 - 1100): Chastelyn and possibly Threckenholm,
> > Bissett, Goushold and Fleming - in particular where they lived?
> > I have written up a lot of this at Joscelyn Notes
> > <http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mlynn/16_Josselyn/FT_Joscelin_Notes_On_Early_History.html>
> > - note that this is still a work in progress but contains most of the
> > information I have been gathering.
> >
> > --
> > Kind Regards
> > Murray
> > Christchurch
> > New Zealand
> > Web Site <http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mlynn/>
> Hi all, I am I believe a descendant of Ralph Josselyn and Marie Bright. If anyone is interested in viewing my lineage of Josselyn's throughout Essex, England, let me know. :)

I too am descended from this couple through the immigrant Thomas and wife Rebecca.
My line runs via Josselyn, Nichols, Cushing, Baker, Ford, Harris, Chase, Carmichael (my maternal grandmother).

It's a line I've otherwise not yet had a good opportunity to research. My understanding of the ancestral lineage is from the NEHGR, which I haven't verified.
https://books.google.com/books?id=1soUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA250#v=onepage&q&f=false
Have you found it to be more or less accurate?

Thanks,
Richard