Idleness is the holiday of fools.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengeswp
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengeDan Tilque
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: whatware, ulterior challengeMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengePete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<t96dnYZOfewYTAP_nZ2dnUU7-LvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3944&group=rec.games.trivia#3944

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 23:18:13 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 04:18 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?

Given a definition, identify the matching computerware term
from the following list. In some cases more than one answer
is acceptable.

Abandonware Foistware Shelfware
Adware Freeware Shovelware
Annoyware Glossyware Silverware
Beltware Groupware Socialware
Betaware Guiltware Software
Bloatware Hardware Sourceware
Brochureware Liveware Spyware
Charityware Malware Stemware
Courseware Middleware Tableware
Crippleware Nagware Teamware
Delaware Payware Thiefware
Donationware Postcardware Treeware
Firmware Ransomware Vaporware
Flatware Shareware Webware

1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
share documents.

3. This general term includes all software that is written with
intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
or somehow steal personal information.

4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
resources to run.

6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
working version.

7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
supports, nor assumes any liability for.

8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
it and user must install it to use the original product.

9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
be updated.

10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
be delayed by years.

** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif

* A. Literature in Theory

A1. A 1968 book of the same title as its maxim, and named
for one of the co-authors, explains: "In a hierarchy,
every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".
Name the book/maxim.

A2. A 1996 book of the same title as its doctrine, but named
for a fictional character, explains: "The most ineffective
workers are systematically moved to the place where they can
do the least damage: Management". Name the book/doctrine.

* B. Eek! It's Coming Closer!

Answer these questions on types of animal movement.

B1. Brachiation ["brack-ee-A-shun"] is the term for what kind
of locomotion?

B2. Give the term used to describe an earthworm's movement.
It is the same term used to describe the rhythmic
contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.

* C. More than One Capital City

Some countries have different administrative, legislative and/or
judicial centers, giving them two or three capitals.

C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
of this South American country, while the administrative and
legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
country.

C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
"""is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
judiciary. What country?

* D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note

D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
Not a who?

D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
Who was that?

* E. Every Who? Down in Where? Read That Out Loud Again.

Every Who down in Who-ville liked these questions a lot. But the
Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, *did not*.

E1. The 1966 animated special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
scary role. Name the actor.

E2. The 2000 live-action movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
scary role. Name the actor.

* F. Most Expensive Locations

We give you the name of the most expensive property in an edition
of Monopoly -- the square that would be Boardwalk in the standard
US edition. You give us the *edition*. For example, if we said
"Apple Studios", it would be the Beatles Edition.

F1. Mayfair.
F2. Burns Manor.

--
Mark Brader | Many "business-oriented" packagings of these
Toronto | [UNIXes] ... omit the games section. Those
| as worker insects of some sort. -- "J. E. Lapin"

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<t7mlfm$2hb$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3945&group=rec.games.trivia#3945

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 04:51:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 04:51 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?

> 1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

treeware

> 2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
> share documents.

teamware

> 3. This general term includes all software that is written with
> intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
> or somehow steal personal information.

malware

> 4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
> new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

shelfware

> 5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
> while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
> resources to run.

bloatware

> 6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
> removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
> working version.

crippleware

> 7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
> supports, nor assumes any liability for.

abandonware

> 8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
> unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
> it and user must install it to use the original product.

foistware

> 9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
> a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
> be updated.

firmware

> 10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
> deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
> point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
> be delayed by years.

vaporware

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif

> * A. Literature in Theory

> A1. A 1968 book of the same title as its maxim, and named
> for one of the co-authors, explains: "In a hierarchy,
> every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".
> Name the book/maxim.

The Peter Principle

> A2. A 1996 book of the same title as its doctrine, but named
> for a fictional character, explains: "The most ineffective
> workers are systematically moved to the place where they can
> do the least damage: Management". Name the book/doctrine.

The Dilbert Principle

> * B. Eek! It's Coming Closer!

> B1. Brachiation ["brack-ee-A-shun"] is the term for what kind
> of locomotion?

using one's arms to swing from tree to tree

> B2. Give the term used to describe an earthworm's movement.
> It is the same term used to describe the rhythmic
> contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.

peristalsis

> * C. More than One Capital City

> C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
> of this South American country, while the administrative and
> legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
> country.

Bolivia

> C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
> national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
> """is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
> judiciary. What country?

Malaysia

> * D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note

> D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
> Not a who?

Lincoln

> D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
> victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
> nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
> Who was that?

Chamberlain

> * E. Every Who? Down in Where? Read That Out Loud Again.

> E1. The 1966 animated special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Paul Frees

> E2. The 2000 live-action movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Anthony Hopkins

> * F. Most Expensive Locations

> F1. Mayfair.

London Edition

> F2. Burns Manor.

Simpsons Edition

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<369d8033-c7e3-4710-b88a-b6502f7ca9f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3946&group=rec.games.trivia#3946

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 23:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 06:10 UTC

On Monday, June 6, 2022 at 11:18:19 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?
>
> Given a definition, identify the matching computerware term
> from the following list. In some cases more than one answer
> is acceptable.
>
> 1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

Treeware; Brochureware

> 2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
> share documents.

Groupware; Teamware

> 3. This general term includes all software that is written with
> intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
> or somehow steal personal information.

Malware
> 4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
> new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

Shelfware

> 5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
> while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
> resources to run.

Bloatware

> 6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
> removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
> working version.

Crippleware

> 7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
> supports, nor assumes any liability for.

Abandonware

> 8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
> unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
> it and user must install it to use the original product.

Foistware

> 9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
> a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
> be updated.

Firmware

> 10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
> deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
> point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
> be delayed by years.

Vaporware

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif
>
> * A. Literature in Theory
>
> A1. A 1968 book of the same title as its maxim, and named
> for one of the co-authors, explains: "In a hierarchy,
> every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".
> Name the book/maxim.

The Peter Principle

> A2. A 1996 book of the same title as its doctrine, but named
> for a fictional character, explains: "The most ineffective
> workers are systematically moved to the place where they can
> do the least damage: Management". Name the book/doctrine.

The Dilbert Principle

> * B. Eek! It's Coming Closer!
>
> Answer these questions on types of animal movement.
>
> B1. Brachiation ["brack-ee-A-shun"] is the term for what kind
> of locomotion?

using arms to move

> B2. Give the term used to describe an earthworm's movement.
> It is the same term used to describe the rhythmic
> contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.

peristalsis

> * C. More than One Capital City
>
> C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
> of this South American country, while the administrative and
> legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
> country.

Bolivia

> C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
> national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
> """is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
> judiciary. What country?

Malaysia

> * D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note
>
> D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
> Not a who?

Lincoln

> D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
> victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
> nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
> Who was that?

Neville Chamberlain

> * E. Every Who? Down in Where? Read That Out Loud Again.
>
> E1. The 1966 animated special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Boris Karloff

> E2. The 2000 live-action movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Christopher Lee

> * F. Most Expensive Locations
>
> We give you the name of the most expensive property in an edition
> of Monopoly -- the square that would be Boardwalk in the standard
> US edition. You give us the *edition*. For example, if we said
> "Apple Studios", it would be the Beatles Edition.
>
> F1. Mayfair.

UK edition

> F2. Burns Manor.

The Simpsons edition

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<XnsAEAFCF785CFDCYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3949&group=rec.games.trivia#3949

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 20:23:42 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 18:23 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?
>
> Given a definition, identify the matching computerware term
> from the following list. In some cases more than one answer
> is acceptable.
>
> Abandonware Foistware Shelfware
> Adware Freeware Shovelware
> Annoyware Glossyware Silverware
> Beltware Groupware Socialware
> Betaware Guiltware Software
> Bloatware Hardware Sourceware
> Brochureware Liveware Spyware
> Charityware Malware Stemware
> Courseware Middleware Tableware
> Crippleware Nagware Teamware
> Delaware Payware Thiefware
> Donationware Postcardware Treeware
> Firmware Ransomware Vaporware
> Flatware Shareware Webware
>
> 1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

Treeware
> 2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
> share documents.

Groupware
> 3. This general term includes all software that is written with
> intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
> or somehow steal personal information.

Malware
> 4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
> new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

Shelfware
> 5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
> while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
> resources to run.

Bloatware
> 6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
> removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
> working version.

Shareware
> 7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
> supports, nor assumes any liability for.

Abandonware
> 8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
> unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
> it and user must install it to use the original product.

Adware
> 9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
> a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
> be updated.

Firmware
> 10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
> deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
> point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
> be delayed by years.

Vaporware

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif
>
> * C. More than One Capital City
>
> Some countries have different administrative, legislative and/or
> judicial centers, giving them two or three capitals.
>
> C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
> of this South American country, while the administrative and
> legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
> country.

Bolivia
> C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
> national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
> """is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
> judiciary. What country?

Malaysia
> * D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note
>
> D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
> Not a who?

Lincoln
> D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
> victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
> nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
> Who was that?

Hitler
> * F. Most Expensive Locations
>
> We give you the name of the most expensive property in an edition
> of Monopoly -- the square that would be Boardwalk in the standard
> US edition. You give us the *edition*. For example, if we said
> "Apple Studios", it would be the Beatles Edition.
>
> F1. Mayfair.

British

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<ab32c026-b12a-4474-a753-357dc10bb375n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3950&group=rec.games.trivia#3950

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 15:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 22:22 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:18:19 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?
>
> Given a definition, identify the matching computerware term
> from the following list. In some cases more than one answer
> is acceptable.
>
> Abandonware Foistware Shelfware
> Adware Freeware Shovelware
> Annoyware Glossyware Silverware
> Beltware Groupware Socialware
> Betaware Guiltware Software
> Bloatware Hardware Sourceware
> Brochureware Liveware Spyware
> Charityware Malware Stemware
> Courseware Middleware Tableware
> Crippleware Nagware Teamware
> Delaware Payware Thiefware
> Donationware Postcardware Treeware
> Firmware Ransomware Vaporware
> Flatware Shareware Webware

*snort* *giggle*
[still makes me laugh all these years later]

> 1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

treeware

> 2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
> share documents.

teamware

> 3. This general term includes all software that is written with
> intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
> or somehow steal personal information.

malware

> 4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
> new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

shelfware

> 5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
> while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
> resources to run.

bloatware

> 6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
> removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
> working version.

shareware

> 7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
> supports, nor assumes any liability for.

abandonware

> 8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
> unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
> it and user must install it to use the original product.

foistware

> 9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
> a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
> be updated.

firmware

> 10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
> deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
> point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
> be delayed by years.

vaporware

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif
>
> * A. Literature in Theory
>
> A1. A 1968 book of the same title as its maxim, and named
> for one of the co-authors, explains: "In a hierarchy,
> every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".
> Name the book/maxim.

the peter principle

> A2. A 1996 book of the same title as its doctrine, but named
> for a fictional character, explains: "The most ineffective
> workers are systematically moved to the place where they can
> do the least damage: Management". Name the book/doctrine.

the dilbert principle

> * B. Eek! It's Coming Closer!
>
> Answer these questions on types of animal movement.
>
> B1. Brachiation ["brack-ee-A-shun"] is the term for what kind
> of locomotion?

swinging by the arms from limb to limb in trees

> B2. Give the term used to describe an earthworm's movement.
> It is the same term used to describe the rhythmic
> contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.

peristalsis

> * C. More than One Capital City
>
> Some countries have different administrative, legislative and/or
> judicial centers, giving them two or three capitals.
>
> C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
> of this South American country, while the administrative and
> legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
> country.

bolivia

> C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
> national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
> """is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
> judiciary. What country?

malaysia

> * D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note
>
> D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
> Not a who?

lincoln

> D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
> victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
> nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
> Who was that?

chamberlain

> * E. Every Who? Down in Where? Read That Out Loud Again.
>
> Every Who down in Who-ville liked these questions a lot. But the
> Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, *did not*.
>
> E1. The 1966 animated special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

boris karloff

> E2. The 2000 live-action movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

anthony hopkins

> * F. Most Expensive Locations
>
> We give you the name of the most expensive property in an edition
> of Monopoly -- the square that would be Boardwalk in the standard
> US edition. You give us the *edition*. For example, if we said
> "Apple Studios", it would be the Beatles Edition.
>
> F1. Mayfair.

british edition

> F2. Burns Manor.

the simpsons edition

> --
> Mark Brader | Many "business-oriented" packagings of these
> Toronto | [UNIXes] ... omit the games section. Those
> m...@vex.net | responsible will doubtless be reincarnated
> | as worker insects of some sort. -- "J. E. Lapin"
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<t7sl5p$upb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3951&group=rec.games.trivia#3951

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 04:22:31 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 11:22 UTC

On 6/6/22 21:18, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?
>
> Given a definition, identify the matching computerware term
> from the following list. In some cases more than one answer
> is acceptable.
>
> Abandonware Foistware Shelfware
> Adware Freeware Shovelware
> Annoyware Glossyware Silverware
> Beltware Groupware Socialware
> Betaware Guiltware Software
> Bloatware Hardware Sourceware
> Brochureware Liveware Spyware
> Charityware Malware Stemware
> Courseware Middleware Tableware
> Crippleware Nagware Teamware
> Delaware Payware Thiefware
> Donationware Postcardware Treeware
> Firmware Ransomware Vaporware
> Flatware Shareware Webware
>
> 1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

treeware

> 2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
> share documents.

teamware

> 3. This general term includes all software that is written with
> intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
> or somehow steal personal information.

malware

> 4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
> new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

shelfware

> 5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
> while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
> resources to run.

bloatware

> 6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
> removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
> working version.

crippleware

> 7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
> supports, nor assumes any liability for.

abandonware

> 8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
> unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
> it and user must install it to use the original product.

foistware

> 9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
> a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
> be updated.

firmware

> 10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
> deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
> point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
> be delayed by years.

vaporware

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif
>
> * A. Literature in Theory
>
> A1. A 1968 book of the same title as its maxim, and named
> for one of the co-authors, explains: "In a hierarchy,
> every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".
> Name the book/maxim.

Peter Principle

> A2. A 1996 book of the same title as its doctrine, but named
> for a fictional character, explains: "The most ineffective
> workers are systematically moved to the place where they can
> do the least damage: Management". Name the book/doctrine.
>

> * B. Eek! It's Coming Closer!
>
> Answer these questions on types of animal movement.
>
> B1. Brachiation ["brack-ee-A-shun"] is the term for what kind
> of locomotion?

swinging through trees

> B2. Give the term used to describe an earthworm's movement.
> It is the same term used to describe the rhythmic
> contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.

peristalis

> * C. More than One Capital City
>
> Some countries have different administrative, legislative and/or
> judicial centers, giving them two or three capitals.
>
> C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
> of this South American country, while the administrative and
> legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
> country.

Bolivia

> C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
> national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
> """is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
> judiciary. What country?

Malaysia

> * D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note
>
> D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
> Not a who?
>
> D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
> victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
> nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
> Who was that?

Neville Chamberlain

> * E. Every Who? Down in Where? Read That Out Loud Again.
>
> Every Who down in Who-ville liked these questions a lot. But the
> Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, *did not*.
>
> E1. The 1966 animated special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Karloff

> E2. The 2000 live-action movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.
>

> * F. Most Expensive Locations
>
> We give you the name of the most expensive property in an edition
> of Monopoly -- the square that would be Boardwalk in the standard
> US edition. You give us the *edition*. For example, if we said
> "Apple Studios", it would be the Beatles Edition.
>
> F1. Mayfair.

British Edition

> F2. Burns Manor.

Simpsons edition

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: whatware, ulterior challenge

<hv-dnUchG7yyWD__nZ2dnUU7-ffNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3952&group=rec.games.trivia#3952

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10 answers: whatware, ulterior challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 23:14:39 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 04:14 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 4 is over and STEPHEN PERRY is the winner. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?

> Given a definition, identify the matching computerware term
> from the following list. In some cases more than one answer
> is acceptable...

> 1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

Glossyware or treeware. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
> share documents.

Groupware or teamware. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua (the hard way),
Erland, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This general term includes all software that is written with
> intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
> or somehow steal personal information.

Malware. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
> new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

Shelfware. 4 for everyone.

> 5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
> while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
> resources to run.

Bloatware. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
> removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
> working version.

Crippleware. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
> supports, nor assumes any liability for.

Abandonware. Which sadly describes some of my best work.
4 for everyone.

> 8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
> unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
> it and user must install it to use the original product.

Foistware. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
> a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
> be updated.

Firmware. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
> deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
> point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
> be delayed by years.

Vaporware. 4 for everyone.

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif

This was the second-easiest round in the original game, after
current events.

> * A. Literature in Theory

> A1. A 1968 book of the same title as its maxim, and named
> for one of the co-authors, explains: "In a hierarchy,
> every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".
> Name the book/maxim.

"The Peter Principle" (by Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull).
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> A2. A 1996 book of the same title as its doctrine, but named
> for a fictional character, explains: "The most ineffective
> workers are systematically moved to the place where they can
> do the least damage: Management". Name the book/doctrine.

"The Dilbert Principle" (by Scott Adams). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> * B. Eek! It's Coming Closer!

> Answer these questions on types of animal movement.

> B1. Brachiation ["brack-ee-A-shun"] is the term for what kind
> of locomotion?

Movement through trees by climbing or swinging between the branches.
4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> B2. Give the term used to describe an earthworm's movement.
> It is the same term used to describe the rhythmic
> contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.

Peristalsis. (I accepted "peristalis".) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. More than One Capital City

> Some countries have different administrative, legislative and/or
> judicial centers, giving them two or three capitals.

> C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
> of this South American country, while the administrative and
> legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
> country.

Bolivia. (La Paz is the other. Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
> national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
> """is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
> judiciary. What country?

Malaysia. (Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> * D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note

> D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
> Not a who?

Lincoln. (A pun on cars and presidents.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Erland, and Stephen.

> D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
> victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
> nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
> Who was that?

Neville Chamberlain. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

See Wikipedia's article on "Peace for our time".

> * E. Every Who? Down in Where? Read That Out Loud Again.

> Every Who down in Who-ville liked these questions a lot. But the
> Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, *did not*.

> E1. The 1966 animated special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Boris Karloff. (The monster in "Frankenstein" (1931).) 4 for Joshua,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. The 2000 live-action movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Anthony Hopkins. (Hannibal Lecter in "The Silence of the Lambs"
(1991).) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> * F. Most Expensive Locations

> We give you the name of the most expensive property in an edition
> of Monopoly -- the square that would be Boardwalk in the standard
> US edition. You give us the *edition*. For example, if we said
> "Apple Studios", it would be the Beatles Edition.

> F1. Mayfair.

British/English. Accepting "London". 4 for everyone.

> F2. Burns Manor.

"The Simpsons". Accepting "Springfield". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 7 8 2 3 4 6 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Mis His Can Geo Spo Sci Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 36 40 40 32 40 36 48 244
Joshua Kreitzer 36 31 20 8 16 12 39 40 182
Dan Blum 4 19 24 12 12 8 40 44 151
Dan Tilque 0 16 -- -- 24 8 40 36 124
Pete Gayde 16 32 12 0 32 8 -- -- 100
Erland Sommarskog 12 12 -- -- 4 0 32 16 76

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We chose them very carefully, in order to decide
msb@vex.net | that none of them were suitable." --David Hartley

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<t80liv$1dns$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3956&group=rec.games.trivia#3956

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:54:07 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 23:54 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-05-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Science - Ware in my Computer?
>
> Given a definition, identify the matching computerware term
> from the following list. In some cases more than one answer
> is acceptable.
>
> Abandonware Foistware Shelfware
> Adware Freeware Shovelware
> Annoyware Glossyware Silverware
> Beltware Groupware Socialware
> Betaware Guiltware Software
> Bloatware Hardware Sourceware
> Brochureware Liveware Spyware
> Charityware Malware Stemware
> Courseware Middleware Tableware
> Crippleware Nagware Teamware
> Delaware Payware Thiefware
> Donationware Postcardware Treeware
> Firmware Ransomware Vaporware
> Flatware Shareware Webware
>
> 1. The printed documentation included in a package of software.

Treeware

> 2. Software that permits multiple users at separate location to
> share documents.

Groupware

> 3. This general term includes all software that is written with
> intent to damage, disable, or take control of a computer system,
> or somehow steal personal information.

Malware

> 4. Software purchased on a whim, for compliance reasons, for a
> new project, or to use up annual budget, but never installed.

Guiltware

> 5. This term refers to software that provides minimal functionality
> while requiring a disproportionately large amount of system
> resources to run.

Bloatware

> 6. Free software that some important functionality was deliberately
> removed from, so as to entice potential users to pay for a full
> working version.

Crippleware

> 7. Older software which the original vendor no longer sells,
> supports, nor assumes any liability for.

Abandonware

> 8. Add-on software bundled with a main product that is usually
> unrelated, but the manufacturer receives payment for including
> it and user must install it to use the original product.

Bloatware

> 9. Embedded software contained in ePROM, or flash memory within
> a computer that remains after powering off, and which can
> be updated.

Firmware

> 10. Software that a manufacturer (say, Microsoft) promises to
> deliver soon, within such a short period that buyers see no
> point in going to a competitor, but whose actual release may
> be delayed by years.

Vaporware

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge - Ulterior Motif
>
> * A. Literature in Theory
>
> A1. A 1968 book of the same title as its maxim, and named
> for one of the co-authors, explains: "In a hierarchy,
> every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".
> Name the book/maxim.

The Peter Principle

> A2. A 1996 book of the same title as its doctrine, but named
> for a fictional character, explains: "The most ineffective
> workers are systematically moved to the place where they can
> do the least damage: Management". Name the book/doctrine.
>

> * B. Eek! It's Coming Closer!
>
> Answer these questions on types of animal movement.
>
> B1. Brachiation ["brack-ee-A-shun"] is the term for what kind
> of locomotion?

Slithering

> B2. Give the term used to describe an earthworm's movement.
> It is the same term used to describe the rhythmic
> contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.
>

> * C. More than One Capital City
>
> Some countries have different administrative, legislative and/or
> judicial centers, giving them two or three capitals.
>
> C1. Sucre """is""" the constitutional and judiciary capital
> of this South American country, while the administrative and
> legislative centres """are""" in another city. Name the
> country.

Bolivia

> C2. Kuala Lumpur """is""" the official capital and seat of the
> national legislature for this country, while Putrajaya
> """is""" the administrative center and seat of the national
> judiciary. What country?

Malaysia

> * D. Quotable Quotes about People of Note
>
> D1. Gerald Ford said: "I am a Ford, not a(n) <answer D1>".
> Not a who?

Chevy

> D2. The London "Times" said: "No conqueror returning from a
> victory on the battlefield has come home adorned with
> nobler laurels than <answer D2> from Munich yesterday".
> Who was that?

Chamberlain

> * E. Every Who? Down in Where? Read That Out Loud Again.
>
> Every Who down in Who-ville liked these questions a lot. But the
> Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, *did not*.
>
> E1. The 1966 animated special "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Boris Karloff

> E2. The 2000 live-action movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
> was narrated by this actor, best known for a playing a very
> scary role. Name the actor.

Carrey

> * F. Most Expensive Locations
>
> We give you the name of the most expensive property in an edition
> of Monopoly -- the square that would be Boardwalk in the standard
> US edition. You give us the *edition*. For example, if we said
> "Apple Studios", it would be the Beatles Edition.
>
> F1. Mayfair.

Mary Poppins

> F2. Burns Manor.

The Simpsons

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: whatware, ulterior challenge

<a5OdnRQsH-kXfD7_nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3957&group=rec.games.trivia#3957

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 19:27:54 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 00:27 UTC

If Pete Gayde had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
32 points on Round 9 and 24 on Round 10, to finish 4th with 148 points.
--
Mark Brader | "It sounds good, of course, and everybody says
Toronto | they've got it -- but that's my point: Everybody