From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: 2 Rides
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 09:36:03 -0500
 by: sticks - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 14:36 UTC

Finally cooled down a little here, but I'm still thirsty. Plastic's on
the bar. I'll have a draft.

Last week, finally got to go to the National Motorcycle Museum in
Anamosa, Ia. I had planned on going and now I hear from watching the
Mecum auctions they are closing at the end of summer, 9/4/23, and
selling everything at auction. After going, I don't know how they can
get that done. The amount of just riding memorabilia is incredible.
Endless. As far as the bikes, it was just one amazing sight after
another. Hard to believe how many of the very old machines they have
there. They even had RoaDog there, but I think just for display.
Amazing sight and in person looks more rideable than I thought. I will
certainly catch the auction when it goes live just to see how they get
this done. If your close, or on the way to Sturgis, might want to see
it before it's gone. It was only about 375 miles round trip for us.

<https://nationalmcmuseum.org/>

Yesterday, we went the other way up to a place called Gills Rock in Door
County Wisconsin. Rode along Lake Michigan from Manitowac to the north.
Cool small towns along the way, with great views of the Lake. On the
way back, it was later in the afternoon and coming over the last hill
before seeing Lake Winnebago was awesome. The sun was low and
reflecting on the back of the lake with amazing colors. Temps were
cooler yesterday and actually had to wear the leather coat all day.
Just a perfect day to hang out with the bike on good roads. 565 Miles
for the day and I asked the wife if her ass was sore, and she said she
was ready to go again tomorrow. That brought a grin outta me.

Today I'll just wipe the bug off the bike and get ready for the next
one. I think it'll be up to LaCrosse and over into Minnesota, then down
along the Mississippi through Iowa, before crossing back into Illinois.
That circle is a little over 500 miles of great riding IIRC.

Oh, the one thing I did notice is that the speedometer is about 3 MPH
faster than what the GPS reports at about 75. I'm guessing the GPS is
right and might be the reason I've scooted by without getting any
tickets in recent years. I was going slower than I thought. Ha!

Damn typing made me thirsty. Can we get another.

Re: 2 Rides

<u6utgd$2so08$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=395&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#395

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Re: 2 Rides
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 08:21:15 -0500
 by: sticks - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:21 UTC

On 6/9/2023 9:36 AM, sticks wrote:
> Today I'll just wipe the bug off the bike and get ready for the next
> one.  I think it'll be up to LaCrosse and over into Minnesota, then down
> along the Mississippi through Iowa, before crossing back into Illinois.
> That circle is a little over 500 miles of great riding IIRC.

We did do the ride, but did it going backwards. Went up into Wisconsin
first and headed over the Mississippi River into Dubuque. We saw many
Amish, and were on 81 where the semi ran over and killed a horse and a
young female occupant a couple days ago up there. Very sad.

The ride up the west side of the river is really good with nice hilly
and winding roads. The GPS does come in handy for seeing around the
corner and over hills to get an idea of how much you can push the speed
safely. Up into Minnesota where the cliffs get a little higher as you
go up further north, and crossed back over the river into Wisconsin.
Took 14 back because of the longer days, never getting on the big road.

One close call with a pair of Sand Cranes who I saw running off to my
left to take off over the road. I slowed down enough to get them by,
but even after about 50 feet they were still only just above the road
and I would have hit one if I hadn't slowed. Cool seeing them that
close struggling to get in the air.

Roads were great, temps were cool, an all in all great day. Wasn't as
many miles as I thought coming in at right about 450. Nice ride. She's
already wiped down and ready for the next one.

Oh, and that guy bitching about his 09 Ultra made me laugh. I got an 09
and have a completely different experience. If he's gone, I'd like to
get a round. Just coffee for me.