You will be audited by the Internal Revenue Service.

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

SubjectAuthor
* Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestryfosgate3
+* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryDarrell E. Larocque
|+* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryWilliam Acton
||`* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestryfosgate3
|| `- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestryfosgate3
|`- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestryfosgate3
+* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohn Higgins
|+* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestrylancast...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohn Higgins
|+* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohn Higgins
||+* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryDarrell E. Larocque
|||`* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestrytaf
||| `- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryDarrell E. Larocque
||`* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryWilliam Acton
|| `- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohn Higgins
|`* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryGreg Cooke
| `* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohn Higgins
|  +* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryGreg Cooke
|  |+- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryDarrell E. Larocque
|  |`- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohn Higgins
|  `- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestrytaf
`* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryDouglas Richardson
 +- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohn Higgins
 +- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestryfosgate3
 `* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryWilliam Acton
  `* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryDouglas Richardson
   +* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryDouglas Richardson
   |`* Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryWilliam Acton
   | `- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryJohnny Brananas
   `- Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet AncestryWilliam Acton

Pages:12
Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<cde7fbfd-ffb1-49cc-9dc5-45e8d314aad3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3974&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3974

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 19:04:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry
From: gdcarlso...@gmail.com (fosgate3)
 by: fosgate3 - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 03:04 UTC

In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?

Thanks in advance for reading.

~Glen~

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<ece8e5fd-1bd1-4343-b8e2-7c4cde15cdddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3976&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3976

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 19:33:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry
From: frenchco...@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 03:33 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 10:04:05 PM UTC-5, fosgate3 wrote:
> In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
>
> Thanks in advance for reading.
>
> ~Glen~

The reference of VCH Wiltshire 8 (1965) pp. 96-103 must be the source for this possible marriage to John Stapleton. I have attempted to find the reference online without success. Sometimes a reference offers a possibility without explanation and that may be the case here.

I wish I could be of help as I have been doing a lot of Stapleton research, but this Stapleton line appears to be an outlier.

Darrell

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<956623b2-7f9b-48ad-a11d-41c7e4857cafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3983&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3983

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 23:32:20 -0800 (PST)
From: wbld.ac...@gmail.com (William Acton)
 by: William Acton - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 07:32 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 3:33:31 AM UTC, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 10:04:05 PM UTC-5, fosgate3 wrote:
> > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for reading.
> >
> > ~Glen~
> The reference of VCH Wiltshire 8 (1965) pp. 96-103 must be the source for this possible marriage to John Stapleton. I have attempted to find the reference online without success. Sometimes a reference offers a possibility without explanation and that may be the case here.
>
> I wish I could be of help as I have been doing a lot of Stapleton research, but this Stapleton line appears to be an outlier.
>
> Darrell

It's a mistake. The name of Margaret's husband(s) and the surnames of her two daughters are unknown.

Transactions of Shropshire (1915), p. 221
https://archive.org/details/transactionsofsh45shro/page/n493/mode/2up

"De Banco, Easter, 10 Edw. 4., No. 343.
SALOP. John Leghton, Richard Bondes & Joan his wife, Robert Cresset & Christine his wife,– Robert Mountfort & Thomas Acton were summoned at the suit of Thomas Horde & Joyce his wife in a plea that they should permit a partition to be made of the manors of Stepulton, Armegrove & Folhampton which formerly belonged to John Stepulton, Armiger, the father of the said Joyce, and of whom she was one of the heirs, between the said Joyce & the said John Leghton son & heir of Elizabeth, daughter and the second of the heirs of the said John Stepulton and the said Richard & Joan the daughter and the third heir of the said John Stepulton & Robert Cresset and Christine the daughter of Margaret, the daughter and the fourth heir of the said John Stepulton, and the said Robert Mountfort in right of Mary late his wife and another of the heirs of the said Margaret, & Thomas Acton in right of Mary late his wife, the daughter and fifth heir of the said John Stepulton."

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<eebba8d0-f8ad-40b6-b800-c62730dced24n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3984&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3984

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 05:52:17 -0800 (PST)
From: gdcarlso...@gmail.com (fosgate3)
 by: fosgate3 - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 13:52 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-6, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 10:04:05 PM UTC-5, fosgate3 wrote:
> > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for reading.
> >
> > ~Glen~
> The reference of VCH Wiltshire 8 (1965) pp. 96-103 must be the source for this possible marriage to John Stapleton. I have attempted to find the reference online without success. Sometimes a reference offers a possibility without explanation and that may be the case here.
>
> I wish I could be of help as I have been doing a lot of Stapleton research, but this Stapleton line appears to be an outlier.
>
> Darrell
Thank you for the info you were able to provide. I appreciate it!

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<25bbcbf8-7f36-478d-a4db-abc4089daf8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3985&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3985

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 05:52:59 -0800 (PST)
From: gdcarlso...@gmail.com (fosgate3)

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:32:21 AM UTC-6, William Acton wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 3:33:31 AM UTC, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 10:04:05 PM UTC-5, fosgate3 wrote:
> > > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for reading.
> > >
> > > ~Glen~
> > The reference of VCH Wiltshire 8 (1965) pp. 96-103 must be the source for this possible marriage to John Stapleton. I have attempted to find the reference online without success. Sometimes a reference offers a possibility without explanation and that may be the case here.
> >
> > I wish I could be of help as I have been doing a lot of Stapleton research, but this Stapleton line appears to be an outlier.
> >
> > Darrell
> It's a mistake. The name of Margaret's husband(s) and the surnames of her two daughters are unknown.
>
> Transactions of Shropshire (1915), p. 221
> https://archive.org/details/transactionsofsh45shro/page/n493/mode/2up
>
> "De Banco, Easter, 10 Edw. 4., No. 343.
> SALOP. John Leghton, Richard Bondes & Joan his wife, Robert Cresset & Christine his wife,– Robert Mountfort & Thomas Acton were summoned at the suit of Thomas Horde & Joyce his wife in a plea that they should permit a partition to be made of the manors of Stepulton, Armegrove & Folhampton which formerly belonged to John Stepulton, Armiger, the father of the said Joyce, and of whom she was one of the heirs, between the said Joyce & the said John Leghton son & heir of Elizabeth, daughter and the second of the heirs of the said John Stepulton and the said Richard & Joan the daughter and the third heir of the said John Stepulton & Robert Cresset and Christine the daughter of Margaret, the daughter and the fourth heir of the said John Stepulton, and the said Robert Mountfort in right of Mary late his wife and another of the heirs of the said Margaret, & Thomas Acton in right of Mary late his wife, the daughter and fifth heir of the said John Stepulton."

Good to know and thank you. I will update my records accordingly.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<2e10813c-61f0-4157-94f8-01fff478f1edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3986&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3986

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 06:43:26 -0800 (PST)
From: gdcarlso...@gmail.com (fosgate3)
 by: fosgate3 - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 14:43 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 7:53:00 AM UTC-6, fosgate3 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:32:21 AM UTC-6, William Acton wrote:

> > > The reference of VCH Wiltshire 8 (1965) pp. 96-103 must be the source for this possible marriage to John Stapleton. I have attempted to find the reference online without success. Sometimes a reference offers a possibility without explanation and that may be the case here.
> > >
> > > I wish I could be of help as I have been doing a lot of Stapleton research, but this Stapleton line appears to be an outlier.
> > >
> > > Darrell
> > It's a mistake. The name of Margaret's husband(s) and the surnames of her two daughters are unknown.
> >
> > Transactions of Shropshire (1915), p. 221
> > https://archive.org/details/transactionsofsh45shro/page/n493/mode/2up
> >
> > "De Banco, Easter, 10 Edw. 4., No. 343.
> > SALOP. John Leghton, Richard Bondes & Joan his wife, Robert Cresset & Christine his wife,– Robert Mountfort & Thomas Acton were summoned at the suit of Thomas Horde & Joyce his wife in a plea that they should permit a partition to be made of the manors of Stepulton, Armegrove & Folhampton which formerly belonged to John Stepulton, Armiger, the father of the said Joyce, and of whom she was one of the heirs, between the said Joyce & the said John Leghton son & heir of Elizabeth, daughter and the second of the heirs of the said John Stepulton and the said Richard & Joan the daughter and the third heir of the said John Stepulton & Robert Cresset and Christine the daughter of Margaret, the daughter and the fourth heir of the said John Stepulton, and the said Robert Mountfort in right of Mary late his wife and another of the heirs of the said Margaret, & Thomas Acton in right of Mary late his wife, the daughter and fifth heir of the said John Stepulton."
> Good to know and thank you. I will update my records accordingly.
Has anyone ever discovered which member of the Eyton family Margaret's daughter was supposed to have married?

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<d5ceff49-ae17-4cc6-b2c9-55665d2ff75cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3989&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3989

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 12:38:05 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:38 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:04:05 PM UTC-8, fosgate3 wrote:
> In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
>
> Thanks in advance for reading.
>
> ~Glen~
The information you've referenced in vol. 2 p. 93 of the 2nd edition of PA also appears in vol. 2 p. 640 of the more recent Royal Ancestry. Aside from the reference to VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 (which unfortunately does not appear to be available online), there are two sources listed for "Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414".

The first source is Weaver's Somerset Medieval Wills, vol. 16, pp. 66-67, which is available via the FHL here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/285169?availability=Family%20History%20Library The reference is to the 1414 will of Margaret Stapleton's grandmother Margaret Hakeluyt. The will mentions "Margaret Stepilton", but it's hard to see how one could conclude from this that Margaret "possibly married John Stapleton".

The second source is Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 1914, p. 221. Several copies of this volume are available via Hathitrust, microfilmed from different library collections. None of of these copies has a page 221 - the volume ends with page 201. And the Stapleton name does not appear in the index for the volume. Something is amiss here....

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<2bdb99a0-57a6-45b4-a480-ddd444ad2208n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3990&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3990

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 14:46:04 -0800 (PST)
From: lancaste...@gmail.com (lancast...@gmail.com)
 by: lancast...@gmail.com - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:46 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 9:38:06 PM UTC+1, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:04:05 PM UTC-8, fosgate3 wrote:
> > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for reading.
> >
> > ~Glen~
> The information you've referenced in vol. 2 p. 93 of the 2nd edition of PA also appears in vol. 2 p. 640 of the more recent Royal Ancestry. Aside from the reference to VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 (which unfortunately does not appear to be available online), there are two sources listed for "Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414".
>
> The first source is Weaver's Somerset Medieval Wills, vol. 16, pp. 66-67, which is available via the FHL here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/285169?availability=Family%20History%20Library The reference is to the 1414 will of Margaret Stapleton's grandmother Margaret Hakeluyt. The will mentions "Margaret Stepilton", but it's hard to see how one could conclude from this that Margaret "possibly married John Stapleton".
>
> The second source is Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 1914, p. 221. Several copies of this volume are available via Hathitrust, microfilmed from different library collections. None of of these copies has a page 221 - the volume ends with page 201. And the Stapleton name does not appear in the index for the volume. Something is amiss here....

Might there be more than one edition (or volume)?

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<5613b9a4-05f7-4975-bbd5-a0a98f8d7aeen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3991&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3991

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:00:31 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 23:00 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 2:46:05 PM UTC-8, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 9:38:06 PM UTC+1, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:04:05 PM UTC-8, fosgate3 wrote:
> > > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for reading.
> > >
> > > ~Glen~
> > The information you've referenced in vol. 2 p. 93 of the 2nd edition of PA also appears in vol. 2 p. 640 of the more recent Royal Ancestry. Aside from the reference to VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 (which unfortunately does not appear to be available online), there are two sources listed for "Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414".
> >
> > The first source is Weaver's Somerset Medieval Wills, vol. 16, pp. 66-67, which is available via the FHL here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/285169?availability=Family%20History%20Library The reference is to the 1414 will of Margaret Stapleton's grandmother Margaret Hakeluyt. The will mentions "Margaret Stepilton", but it's hard to see how one could conclude from this that Margaret "possibly married John Stapleton".
> >
> > The second source is Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 1914, p. 221. Several copies of this volume are available via Hathitrust, microfilmed from different library collections. None of of these copies has a page 221 - the volume ends with page 201. And the Stapleton name does not appear in the index for the volume. Something is amiss here....
> Might there be more than one edition (or volume)?
I had thought of that, but there is no indication of multiple editions or volumes for that year in the collections of CHS that I looked at. I was also hoping that there might be a comprehensive index covering the entire series, or at least various segments of it, but I haven't been able to locate such and index.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<543c3b67-d3c8-4665-867e-3864cbe8873fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3992&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3992

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:15:40 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:15 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 12:38:06 PM UTC-8, John Higgins wrote:
> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:04:05 PM UTC-8, fosgate3 wrote:
> > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for reading.
> >
> > ~Glen~
> The information you've referenced in vol. 2 p. 93 of the 2nd edition of PA also appears in vol. 2 p. 640 of the more recent Royal Ancestry. Aside from the reference to VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 (which unfortunately does not appear to be available online), there are two sources listed for "Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414".

..I was mistaken when I said that VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 was not available online. In fact, it is online, and pp. 96-103 cited by Richardson comprise the section titled “Warminster- Manors” which is available here: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol8/pp96-103. The pertinent part of the discussion is about halfway down the section, in regard to the disposition of the Warminster property among the heirs of the four daughters of Sir Mathew Furneaux (among which heirs were the Stapleton family). The references to the Stapleton family are in these paragraphs:

“The Warminster property was allotted to the descendants of the youngest of these daughters, Margaret, who had married Sir John Beaupré. Their daughter Isabel married John Longland (fn. 158) and left three daughters and coheirs. Of these the eldest, Margaret, married Sir Leonard Hackluyt, and left a daughter who married into the Stapleton family of Shropshire and had a son Leonard. The third, Anne, married John Farwaye and left two daughters, one of whom married Thomas Berkeley. At the division of the Furneaux property in 1421, Warminster was divided between Leonard Stapleton, who received 2/3, and Thomas Berkeley, who received ⅓. (fn. 159)

Leonard Stapleton died without issue, and his widow Joyce sued his feoffees for a life estate in the lands in Warminster which had been promised her. (fn. 160) Stapleton's estates, however, went to the heirs of a certain John Stapleton, perhaps his brother, whose lands in Shropshire were the subject of a lawsuit in 1470. (fn. 161) The Warminster property was evidently divided between two of the coheirs of John Stapleton, for in 1483 William Ruynon quitclaimed all the lands in Warminster which he had by feoffment of Leonard Stapleton to George Booth and Katharine his wife, John Leighton, and Robert Cressett and Christine his wife. (fn. 162) Of these, Leighton was the son of Elizabeth, one of John Stapleton's coheirs. Elizabeth's sister Margaret had married a Cressett of Upton Cressett (Salop.), and left two daughters, one of whom married Robert Cressett and the other Robert Mountfort. (fn.. 163) Mountfort's daughter and heir married George Booth of Dunham Massey, (Cheshire). (fn. 164) Thus of Stapleton's 2/3 of Furnax, ⅓ had passed to John Leighton and 1/6 each to Robert Cressett and George Booth.” [end quote]

Note the reference to “a certain John Stapleton, perhaps his [Leonard Stapleton’s] brother”. This is presumably the same person that the Richardson narrative in PA and RA refers to when it says “Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414”. So this second John Stapleton would be, according to Richardson, a brother in-law (not brother) of Leonard Stapleton – but with no indication of exactly how he may be otherwise related to the family. BTW footnote 161 in the section refers to the Shropshire ANHS Transactions article mentioned earlier in this thread by William Acton – which does not entirely agree with the Richardson narrative.

The elder John Stapleton was an MP and has a biography in HOP 1386-1421: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/stapleton-john-ii
Some of the statements in that bio also appear to be at variance with the Richardson narrative in PA and RA.

This is quite a mare’s nest – not just the Stapleton matter but the entire Furneaux inheritance. The sections in PA and RA are based almost entirely on a lengthy Richardson post in SGM in 2007 titled “Descendants of King John's alleged illegitimate daughter, Isabel, wife of Sir Richard Fitz Ives”. https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/0xjbaUOubo4/m/6DlUYQa0PIcJ It’s quite an impressive treatment of a very complex topic, but it may be time for a re-review of the material.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<5ab4ba4c-d917-435c-9fa4-5c4f168ad2dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3994&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3994

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:28:45 -0800 (PST)
From: frenchco...@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:28 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 8:15:42 PM UTC-5, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> The elder John Stapleton was an MP and has a biography in HOP 1386-1421: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/stapleton-john-ii
> Some of the statements in that bio also appear to be at variance with the Richardson narrative in PA and RA.
>
> This is quite a mare’s nest – not just the Stapleton matter but the entire Furneaux inheritance. The sections in PA and RA are based almost entirely on a lengthy Richardson post in SGM in 2007 titled “Descendants of King John's alleged illegitimate daughter, Isabel, wife of Sir Richard Fitz Ives”. https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy..medieval/c/0xjbaUOubo4/m/6DlUYQa0PIcJ It’s quite an impressive treatment of a very complex topic, but it may be time for a re-review of the material.

Twice during my research I have found HOP to be extremely accurate when it came to their biographies, and have contradicted a host of other sources which frankly got it wrong. I would highly recommend reviewing every source used at HOP and just maybe you might find something valuable. Just my observations...

Darrell

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<0341a8b9-99be-4143-b86c-0fabb2cd3fe8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3995&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3995

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 23:29:51 -0800 (PST)
From: wbld.ac...@gmail.com (William Acton)
 by: William Acton - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:29 UTC

<snip>
> Leonard Stapleton died without issue, and his widow Joyce sued his feoffees for a life estate in the lands in Warminster which had been promised her.. (fn. 160) Stapleton's estates, however, went to the heirs of a certain John Stapleton, perhaps his brother, whose lands in Shropshire were the subject of a lawsuit in 1470. (fn. 161) The Warminster property was evidently divided between two of the coheirs of John Stapleton, for in 1483 William Ruynon quitclaimed all the lands in Warminster which he had by feoffment of Leonard Stapleton to George Booth and Katharine his wife, John Leighton, and Robert Cressett and Christine his wife. (fn. 162) Of these, Leighton was the son of Elizabeth, one of John Stapleton's coheirs. Elizabeth's sister Margaret had married a Cressett of Upton Cressett (Salop.), and left two daughters, one of whom married Robert Cressett and the other Robert Mountfort. (fn. 163) Mountfort's daughter and heir married George Booth of Dunham Massey, (Cheshire). (fn. 164) Thus of Stapleton's 2/3 of Furnax, ⅓ had passed to John Leighton and 1/6 each to Robert Cressett and George Booth.” [end quote]
>
> Note the reference to “a certain John Stapleton, perhaps his [Leonard Stapleton’s] brother”.
<snip>

Leonard died childless. Clearly the John Stapleton referred to here is his father not his brother.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<edbb57ca-cc9c-4e9f-842f-44ffd3ab29bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3996&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3996

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:11:17 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:11 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 11:29:52 PM UTC-8, William Acton wrote:
> <snip>
> > Leonard Stapleton died without issue, and his widow Joyce sued his feoffees for a life estate in the lands in Warminster which had been promised her. (fn. 160) Stapleton's estates, however, went to the heirs of a certain John Stapleton, perhaps his brother, whose lands in Shropshire were the subject of a lawsuit in 1470. (fn. 161) The Warminster property was evidently divided between two of the coheirs of John Stapleton, for in 1483 William Ruynon quitclaimed all the lands in Warminster which he had by feoffment of Leonard Stapleton to George Booth and Katharine his wife, John Leighton, and Robert Cressett and Christine his wife. (fn. 162) Of these, Leighton was the son of Elizabeth, one of John Stapleton's coheirs. Elizabeth's sister Margaret had married a Cressett of Upton Cressett (Salop.), and left two daughters, one of whom married Robert Cressett and the other Robert Mountfort. (fn. 163) Mountfort's daughter and heir married George Booth of Dunham Massey, (Cheshire). (fn. 164) Thus of Stapleton's 2/3 of Furnax, ⅓ had passed to John Leighton and 1/6 each to Robert Cressett and George Booth.” [end quote]
> >
> > Note the reference to “a certain John Stapleton, perhaps his [Leonard Stapleton’s] brother”.
> <snip>
>
> Leonard died childless. Clearly the John Stapleton referred to here is his father not his brother.

That was my opinion too, but Richardson obviously reached a different conclusion.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<f235463f-b6e7-44f4-a698-4839d1a0002an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3998&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3998

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:50:07 -0800 (PST)
From: taf.medi...@gmail.com (taf)
 by: taf - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:50 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 5:28:46 PM UTC-8, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:

> Twice during my research I have found HOP to be extremely accurate when it came
> to their biographies, and have contradicted a host of other sources which frankly got
> it wrong. I would highly recommend reviewing every source used at HOP and just
> maybe you might find something valuable. Just my observations...

I agree for the most part, but I have also found instances where incorrect genealogical information is provided that has simply been taken from sources like Vivian's Visitations of Devon without any attempt to independently evaluate the information.

taf

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<0138d847-e1e0-46c9-8e3d-e63801895d12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3999&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#3999

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 12:38:01 -0800 (PST)
From: frenchco...@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:38 UTC

On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 12:50:08 PM UTC-5, taf wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 5:28:46 PM UTC-8, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
>
> > Twice during my research I have found HOP to be extremely accurate when it came
> > to their biographies, and have contradicted a host of other sources which frankly got
> > it wrong. I would highly recommend reviewing every source used at HOP and just
> > maybe you might find something valuable. Just my observations...
> I agree for the most part, but I have also found instances where incorrect genealogical information is provided that has simply been taken from sources like Vivian's Visitations of Devon without any attempt to independently evaluate the information.
>
> taf

It is inevitable to find issues with just about every source, but I of course didn't mean to imply HOP was right in every instance. I am still fascinated how HOP was able to nail down the Walter Devereux parentage I was working on when a mind boggling number of sources got it wrong. I am hopeful that in the sources HOP provided for John Stapleton there might be a clue.

I also agree that John Stapleton the father is plausible, and have no idea why Richardson assumed it was her husband.

Darrell

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<f4e6ee3d-10c6-4bbc-bad4-27e5905b7d11n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4000&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4000

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:30:07 -0800 (PST)
From: gdcook...@gmail.com (Greg Cooke)
 by: Greg Cooke - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 00:30 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:38:06 PM UTC-7, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:04:05 PM UTC-8, fosgate3 wrote:
> > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for reading.
> >
> > ~Glen~
> The information you've referenced in vol. 2 p. 93 of the 2nd edition of PA also appears in vol. 2 p. 640 of the more recent Royal Ancestry. Aside from the reference to VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 (which unfortunately does not appear to be available online), there are two sources listed for "Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414".
>
> The first source is Weaver's Somerset Medieval Wills, vol. 16, pp. 66-67, which is available via the FHL here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/285169?availability=Family%20History%20Library The reference is to the 1414 will of Margaret Stapleton's grandmother Margaret Hakeluyt. The will mentions "Margaret Stepilton", but it's hard to see how one could conclude from this that Margaret "possibly married John Stapleton".
>
> The second source is Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 1914, p. 221. Several copies of this volume are available via Hathitrust, microfilmed from different library collections. None of of these copies has a page 221 - the volume ends with page 201. And the Stapleton name does not appear in the index for the volume. Something is amiss here....

FWIW: Just a guess here, but I suspect the reference to p221 probably refers to the Transactions reference first mentioned in William Acton's earlier posting and not the Collections volume.

Greg

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<1ec800ec-9940-4e21-8d15-243938a1073bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4002&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4002

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:47:53 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 05:47 UTC

On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 4:30:09 PM UTC-8, gdco...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:38:06 PM UTC-7, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 7:04:05 PM UTC-8, fosgate3 wrote:
> > > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for reading.
> > >
> > > ~Glen~
> > The information you've referenced in vol. 2 p. 93 of the 2nd edition of PA also appears in vol. 2 p. 640 of the more recent Royal Ancestry. Aside from the reference to VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 (which unfortunately does not appear to be available online), there are two sources listed for "Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414".
> >
> > The first source is Weaver's Somerset Medieval Wills, vol. 16, pp. 66-67, which is available via the FHL here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/285169?availability=Family%20History%20Library The reference is to the 1414 will of Margaret Stapleton's grandmother Margaret Hakeluyt. The will mentions "Margaret Stepilton", but it's hard to see how one could conclude from this that Margaret "possibly married John Stapleton".
> >
> > The second source is Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 1914, p. 221. Several copies of this volume are available via Hathitrust, microfilmed from different library collections. None of of these copies has a page 221 - the volume ends with page 201. And the Stapleton name does not appear in the index for the volume. Something is amiss here....
> FWIW: Just a guess here, but I suspect the reference to p221 probably refers to the Transactions reference first mentioned in William Acton's earlier posting and not the Collections volume.
>
> Greg
I assume you're basing this on the fact that both references refer to a page 221. What you're suggesting, of course, is that a genealogist of Richardson's caliber confused a 1915 issue of the Shropshire ANHS Transactions with a 1914 issue of Collections for a History of Staffordshire. That's a pretty serious error - I doubt that Richardson would be that careless.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<18a3cd1d-bc5b-461d-95b3-e1576f0134fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4003&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4003

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 05:44:58 -0800 (PST)
From: gdcook...@gmail.com (Greg Cooke)
 by: Greg Cooke - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 13:44 UTC

> > > The second source is Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 1914, p. 221. Several copies of this volume are available via Hathitrust, microfilmed from different library collections. None of of these copies has a page 221 - the volume ends with page 201. And the Stapleton name does not appear in the index for the volume. Something is amiss here....
> > FWIW: Just a guess here, but I suspect the reference to p221 probably refers to the Transactions reference first mentioned in William Acton's earlier posting and not the Collections volume.
> >
> > Greg
> I assume you're basing this on the fact that both references refer to a page 221. What you're suggesting, of course, is that a genealogist of Richardson's caliber confused a 1915 issue of the Shropshire ANHS Transactions with a 1914 issue of Collections for a History of Staffordshire. That's a pretty serious error - I doubt that Richardson would be that careless.
=========John,
I won't dispute DR's qualifications as a genealogist (though some might argue about some of his conclusions).

That said, there's also no denying that there is no genealogist (ever) who has not made a mistake. It should not be surprising that within the ~3600 pages of RA that there are some errors. Personally, I have compiled a 15 page document of suggestions and corrections to RA. Granted, most of these are editorial in nature, including erroneous cross-references, various inconsistencies in wording, and many others due to post-publication research, but still, "mistakes were made."

Greg

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<cbcd8522-b0c0-4cd9-b544-8c2ee5c818d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4004&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4004

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:43:19 -0800 (PST)
From: frenchco...@gmail.com (Darrell E. Larocque)
 by: Darrell E. Larocque - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 15:43 UTC

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 8:44:59 AM UTC-5, gdco...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > FWIW: Just a guess here, but I suspect the reference to p221 probably refers to the Transactions reference first mentioned in William Acton's earlier posting and not the Collections volume.
> > >
> > > Greg
> > I assume you're basing this on the fact that both references refer to a page 221. What you're suggesting, of course, is that a genealogist of Richardson's caliber confused a 1915 issue of the Shropshire ANHS Transactions with a 1914 issue of Collections for a History of Staffordshire. That's a pretty serious error - I doubt that Richardson would be that careless.
> ==========
> John,
> I won't dispute DR's qualifications as a genealogist (though some might argue about some of his conclusions).
>
> That said, there's also no denying that there is no genealogist (ever) who has not made a mistake. It should not be surprising that within the ~3600 pages of RA that there are some errors. Personally, I have compiled a 15 page document of suggestions and corrections to RA. Granted, most of these are editorial in nature, including erroneous cross-references, various inconsistencies in wording, and many others due to post-publication research, but still, "mistakes were made."
>
> Greg

The pitfalls that we face are numerous, and I second this. I started off my journey working with medieval sources after Richardson in his MCA made my ancestor, Charles Barnes, a footnote and I had to work backwards through to get to a documented line within the MCA. I ended up finding some errors and a major discovery which needs correcting, so I wouldn't call it careless to make a mistake as we're human. I'm sure that DR appreciates all of the notes and if they don't end up making it into a future edition, there should be serious consideration of some sort of consolidated collaborative effort to note all of the corrections that are needed.

Darrell

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<ac6216cf-9b29-4700-b5dd-a6e1c004af70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4005&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4005

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:46:41 -0800 (PST)
From: taf.medi...@gmail.com (taf)
 by: taf - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 17:46 UTC

On Monday, January 24, 2022 at 9:47:55 PM UTC-8, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I assume you're basing this on the fact that both references refer to a page 221. What
> you're suggesting, of course, is that a genealogist of Richardson's caliber confused a
> 1915 issue of the Shropshire ANHS Transactions with a 1914 issue of Collections for
> a History of Staffordshire. That's a pretty serious error - I doubt that Richardson would
> be that careless.

Except we KNOW he made a mistake - there is no page 221 in the named volume.. He either got the page wrong (but the index doesn't show the person on a different page of that volume, though it must be said that indexes of this era were terribly incomplete), he got the volume number wrong, or he named the wrong publication. Given he would have been shuffling back and forth among a small number of publications, it is a simple slip to mistakenly put in one source name when intending another, and such a slip is all the harder to catch because both the page number and the publication name would have looked familiar, without necessarily catching that they don't go together.. I have found this kind of error in doing a final review of something I was writing, but can see how it easily could be missed (all the moreso given both the length of the work and the fact that it is self-published, without an editor double checking everything).

Given that in associated generations he was citing a work with pertinent information on page 221 of a different publication, it is indeed the most likely explanation of the error that he accidentally put the wrong publication name in this citation.

taf

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<9405aa06-bd71-4dc2-96b5-88c69db87e90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4006&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4006

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:30:53 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 19:30 UTC

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 5:44:59 AM UTC-8, gdco...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > FWIW: Just a guess here, but I suspect the reference to p221 probably refers to the Transactions reference first mentioned in William Acton's earlier posting and not the Collections volume.
> > >
> > > Greg
> > I assume you're basing this on the fact that both references refer to a page 221. What you're suggesting, of course, is that a genealogist of Richardson's caliber confused a 1915 issue of the Shropshire ANHS Transactions with a 1914 issue of Collections for a History of Staffordshire. That's a pretty serious error - I doubt that Richardson would be that careless.
> ==========
> John,
> I won't dispute DR's qualifications as a genealogist (though some might argue about some of his conclusions).
>
> That said, there's also no denying that there is no genealogist (ever) who has not made a mistake. It should not be surprising that within the ~3600 pages of RA that there are some errors. Personally, I have compiled a 15 page document of suggestions and corrections to RA. Granted, most of these are editorial in nature, including erroneous cross-references, various inconsistencies in wording, and many others due to post-publication research, but still, "mistakes were made."
>
> Greg
You're correct - the word "careless" was perhaps too strong here.

In checking adjacent sections of RA in which the Stapleton matter is discussed, I see that an erroneous reference to the 1914 issue of Collections for a History of Staffordshire was substituted for a reference to the 1915 issue of the Shropshire ANHS Transactions in at least four other paragraphs in the narrative. In other words, the error occurs five times. So, he made a mistake and copied it forward four times. At any rate, as Edward has noted earlier, it's hard to see how the article in the 1915 issue of the Shropshire ANHS Transactions supports Richardson's conclusions.

Two other articles are also cited several times throughout Richardson's narrative of the Furneaux inheritance (which also involves the Stapletons):
Collectaneaa Topographica et Genealogica, vol.1 (1834), pp. 243-248 {Descendants of Matthew Furneaux]
https://archive.org/details/collectaneatopo03nichgoog/page/n257/mode/2up?q=%22Descendants+of+Matthew+Furneaux%22
Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries vol 16 (1920, pp. 281-285 [The Co-Heirs of Furneaux]
https://archive.org/details/notesqueriesfors16brid/page/280/mode/2up

Both of these provide some support for Richardson's conclusions, but neither appears to adequately support his conclusions regarding the Stapleton family.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<2b3234fa-85af-4b8e-9c50-582b37c4f596n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4037&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4037

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:20:21 -0800 (PST)
From: celticpr...@gmail.com (Douglas Richardson)
 by: Douglas Richardson - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 18:20 UTC

Dear Glen ~

For your interest, I've copied below my current file account of the Stapleton-Deviock and related families.

In response to your specific question, the identity of the husband of Margaret Stapleton [Generation 10, ii below] is not clear in contemporary records. We know of Margaret's existence from two records, namely the will of her grandmother, Margaret Hakeluyt, dated 1414, and a Common Pleas lawsuit dated 1470. The 1470 lawsuit clearly identifies two daughters for Margaret Stapleton, namely Mary and Christine. There is no reason to doubt the veracity of the 1470 lawsuit as both Mary and Christine and their respective husbands appear with other Stapleton family members in other contemporary records cited below. Unfortunately the 1470 lawsuit does not give the maiden names of either Mary or Christine, who were Margaret Stapleton's daughters. As such, it is necessary to fall back on other records to tell us their surname.

According to Lennard & Vincent, Vis. of Warwick 1619 (H.S.P. 12) (1877): 54–56, Margaret's daughter Mary was the "daughter and heir of Leonard Stapleton.”

And, according to Tresswell & Vincent, Vis. of Shropshire 1623, 1569 & 1584 1 (H.S.P. 28) (1889): 157–158 , Margaret's daughter Christine was the "daughter and heir of John Stepleton, of Stepleton, Knt."

As you can see, both visitations assign the surname Stapleton to both Mary and Christine, but differ as to the name of their father. Clearly Leonard Stapleton is an error, as Leonard was the known brother of Margaret Stapleton herself, thus uncle to the two girls.

That leaves us with the statement in the Shropshire visitation that Christine was the daughter and heir of John Stepleton, Knt. I'm suspicious of this statement as there doesn't appear to be a Sir John Stapleton in the right generation to be the husband of Margaret Stapleton. Be that as it may, it should still be considered to be a possibility

Inasmuch as both visitations assign Stapleton as the birth surname of both Mary and Christine, I'm inclined to accept those statements, albeit the name of the father differ in these accounts.

Should you encounter additional information regarding this matter, by all means, be sure to let me know.

Douglas Richardson, Author

+ + + + + + + + +

9. MARGARET LONGLAND, daughter and co-heiress, born about 1362 (aged 18 in 1380). She married (1st) JOHN DEVIOCK (or DEVYOK, DEVIOKE). They had one daughter, Margaret. JOHN DEVIOCK died before 16 August 1380. In 1381 Roger Lamarl sued Margaret Devyok, John Fareweye and Agnes his wife, and John Rewenon [Ruynon] and Joan his wife, daughters and heirs of John Langelond in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £40. In 1384 William Bowyer, Citizen and skinner of London, sued Margaret Devyok in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £20. Margaret married (2nd) before 1394 LEONARD HAKELUYT (or HAKLUYT), Knt., of Stoke Edith, Herefordshire, and, in right of his wife, of Grove (in South Brent), Somerset, and Degembris (in Newlyn East), Tremough, and Carveth (in Mabe), Cornwall, Knight of the Shire for Herefordshire, 1385, 1388, 1394, Escheator of Herefordshire, 1401–2, Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1402, 1408–9, Knight of the Shire for Somerset, 1404, 1406, son of Edmund Hakluyt, Knt., of Longland, Herefordshire, by his wife, Emma. He was born about 1352. They had no issue.. In 1388 he sued Thomas Gournay, of Over ?Waye, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £6 7s. 8d. In 1390 he claimed the manor of Shepton Mallet, Somerset, by virtue of a prior settlement dated 1368. In 1394 and again in 1411, he and Margaret his wife made a settlement of her lands. In 1394 he sued Roger Pauncefot in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a trespass [vi et armis] at Weston by Yarkhill, Herefordshire. In 1394 and 1398 John Coleman, Thomas Blast, and two others, executors of the will of Joan, widow of Edmund Fitz Herbert, sued him in a Sussex plea regarding a debt of 25 marks. In 1399 he sued Hugh Frensch, parson of the church of Zedfyn, and John Drake in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £20. In 1404 he was granted the keeping of Mawardyn and Much Marcle, Herefordshire as long as the manors remain in the king’s hand. The same year he presented to the church of Shepton Mallet, Somerset. In 1408 he sued William More, of Linton, Herefordshire, and others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a trespass [vi et armis] at Much Marcle, Herefordshire. In 1409 he sued Thomas Mill and others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £28 8s. 11d. He was a legatee in the 1410 will of Thomas Clanvowe, Knt. In 1412 he sued Richard Amquy and John Amquy in the Court of Common Pleas in a Somerset plea regarding a trespass. At an unknown date, Margaret his wife claimed the right to dig turves in the manor of Edington, Somerset by a grant dated c.1269–89 made by John Fitz Geoffrey, lord of Edington, to her ancestor, Hugh de Langlonde and Eleanor his wife. SIR LEONARD HAKELUYT left a will dated 3 August 1413, proved 17 August 1413. His widow, Margaret, took a vow of perpetual chastity 2 October 1413. In Jan. 1413/4 she was dispensed from a vow she voluntarily made for life to fast every Saturday, which she was unable to do owing to the infirmity of her body. In 1414 Margaret was co-heiress to her Furneaux cousin, Alice Blount, wife successively of Richard Stafford, Knt., and Richard Stury, Knt.. Margaret left a will dated 29 July 1414, proved 11 August 1414, requesting burial in the church of the Friars Minor at Bridgwater, Somerset by her late husband, Sir Leonard Hakluyt.

Coll. Top. et Gen. 1 (1834): 243–248 (Furneaux ped.: “The furst doughter Margaret [Longland] maried Leonard Hakeluet, kt. of whom commyth Stepulton of Shroppeshier, and had for his parte lands besides Warmester, and in divers places.”). Benolte, Vis. of Somerset 1531, 1573 & 1591 (1885): 108 (Furneaux ped.: “Margerett [Longland], ux. Leonard hackluit.”). Antiq. 14 (1886): 115 (Deviock arms: Party per saltier argent and sable). Weaver, Somerset Incumbents (1889): 180. List of Sheriffs for England & Wales (PRO Lists and Indexes 9) (1898): 60. Giffard & Bowett, Regs. of Walter Giffard & Henry Bowett, Bishops of Bath & Wells (Somerset Rec. Soc. 13) (1899): 57. Procs. Bath Natural Hist. & Antiq. Field Club 9 (1901): 188–201. Weaver, Somerset Medieval Wills 1 (Somerset Rec. Soc. 16) (1901): 61–62 (will of Leonard Hakeluyt, Knt.), 66–67 (will of Margaret Hakeluyt). Bubwith, Reg. of Nicholas Bubwith Bishop of Bath & Wells 1 (Somerset Rec. Soc. 29) (1914): 148, 167. Somerset & Dorset Notes & Queries 16 (1920): 281–285 (Furneaux ped. dated 1421: “Et predicta Margareta [de Longland] prima filia predictorum Johannis [de Longland] et Isabelle marritata fuit Johanni Devyok et habuerunt exitum Margaretam [Devyok] que fuit marritata Johanni Stepulton et habuerunt exitum Leonardum Stepulton.”). C.F.R. 9 (1926): 214–215; 12 (1931): 279–280. Year Books of Richard II 7 (Ames Found.. 10) (1929): 159–166. Rowe & Tapley-Soper, Cornwall Feet of Fines 2 (Devon & Cornwall Rec. Soc. 1950) (1950): 75, 109. VCH Wiltshire 8 (1965): 96–103. Chancery Misc. 3 (List & Index Soc. 26) (1967): 255. Dunning, Hylle Cartulary (Somerset Rec. Soc. 68) (1968): 62. Cal. IPM 15 (1970): 101–102. List of Escheators for England & Wales (List & Index Soc. 72) (1971): 61. Roskell, House of Commons 1386–1421 3 (1992): 265–267 (biog. of Leonard Hakluyt). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/483, image 415 (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no483/483_0415.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/494, image 92 (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no494/494_0092.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/511, image 130 (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no511/511_0130.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/533, image 108 (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no533/533_0108.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/533, image 147 (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no533/533_0147.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/553, image 1339d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/R2/CP40no553/bCP40no553dorses/IMG_1339.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/589, image 57f (available at http://aalt..law.uh.edu/AALT2/H4/CP40no589/aCP40no589fronts/IMG_0057.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/594, image 1102d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H4/CP40no594/bCP40no594dorses/IMG_1102.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/605, image 608f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H4/CP40no605/aCP40no605fronts/IMG_0608.htm). Court of King’s Bench, KB27/550, image 93f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/R2/KB27no550/aKB27no550fronts/IMG_0093.htm).

10. MARGARET DEVIOCK, daughter and heiress, evidently born before 1380. She married before 1400 (as his 1st wife) JOHN STAPLETON (or STEPULTON), Esq., of Stapleton, Shropshire, Dormington, Herefordshire, etc., Knight of the Shire for Shropshire, 1421, 2nd son of John Stapleton, of Stapleton and Oaks (in Pontesbury), Shropshire, Dormington, Herefordshire, etc., by Katherine, daughter and co-heiress of Edward Burnell, of Langley, Shropshire. They had one son, Leonard, Esq., and two daughters, Margaret and Elizabeth. His wife, Margaret, died before 1421. He married (2nd) ] MARGERY _____. They had three daughters, Joyce (wife of Thomas Horde), Joan (wife of Thomas Walwyn and Richard Bondy), and Mary (wife of Thomas Acton). In 1421 his 1st wife Margaret’s son, Leonard Stapleton, was her representative as one of the co-heirs named in the division that year of the estates of her Furneaux cousin, Alice (Blount) (Stafford) Stury. In 1438 there was a fire at his moated manor house at Stapleton, Shropshire. In 1443 William Adam, of Longden, and Richard Adam, of Cardington, granted John Stepulton, of Stapleton, Shropshire, the manor and advowson of the church of Stapleton, Shropshire for life, with successive remainders to Leonard Stepulton and his heirs; the heirs of the said John begotten on the bodies of Margery his wife and Margaret his late wife; John [Talbot], Earl of Shrewsbury, and Margaret his wife and their heirs. JOHN STAPLETON, Esq., was living in 1446, but died before 1450. In 1470 Thomas Horde and Joyce his wife sued John Leghton, Richard Bondy and Joan his wife, Robert Cresset and Christine his wife, Robert Mountfort, and Thomas Acton in the Court of Common Pleas in a plea that should be permitted to make a partition of the manors of Stepulton, Armegrove, and Folhampton (in Wistanstow), Shropshire, which formerly belonged to John Stepulton, Esq., father of the said Joyce.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<e94684a9-3758-4fdb-9d0b-81fbc22f0abcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4044&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4044

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 15:24:11 -0800 (PST)
From: jhiggins...@yahoo.com (John Higgins)
 by: John Higgins - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 23:24 UTC

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 10:20:23 AM UTC-8, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> Dear Glen ~
>
> For your interest, I've copied below my current file account of the Stapleton-Deviock and related families.
>
> In response to your specific question, the identity of the husband of Margaret Stapleton [Generation 10, ii below] is not clear in contemporary records. We know of Margaret's existence from two records, namely the will of her grandmother, Margaret Hakeluyt, dated 1414, and a Common Pleas lawsuit dated 1470. The 1470 lawsuit clearly identifies two daughters for Margaret Stapleton, namely Mary and Christine. There is no reason to doubt the veracity of the 1470 lawsuit as both Mary and Christine and their respective husbands appear with other Stapleton family members in other contemporary records cited below. Unfortunately the 1470 lawsuit does not give the maiden names of either Mary or Christine, who were Margaret Stapleton's daughters. As such, it is necessary to fall back on other records to tell us their surname.
>
> According to Lennard & Vincent, Vis. of Warwick 1619 (H.S.P. 12) (1877): 54–56, Margaret's daughter Mary was the "daughter and heir of Leonard Stapleton.”
>
> And, according to Tresswell & Vincent, Vis. of Shropshire 1623, 1569 & 1584 1 (H.S.P. 28) (1889): 157–158 , Margaret's daughter Christine was the "daughter and heir of John Stepleton, of Stepleton, Knt."
>
> As you can see, both visitations assign the surname Stapleton to both Mary and Christine, but differ as to the name of their father. Clearly Leonard Stapleton is an error, as Leonard was the known brother of Margaret Stapleton herself, thus uncle to the two girls.
>
> That leaves us with the statement in the Shropshire visitation that Christine was the daughter and heir of John Stepleton, Knt. I'm suspicious of this statement as there doesn't appear to be a Sir John Stapleton in the right generation to be the husband of Margaret Stapleton. Be that as it may, it should still be considered to be a possibility
>
> Inasmuch as both visitations assign Stapleton as the birth surname of both Mary and Christine, I'm inclined to accept those statements, albeit the name of the father differ in these accounts.
>
> Should you encounter additional information regarding this matter, by all means, be sure to let me know.
>
> Douglas Richardson, Author

[snip of lengthy material referenced by link elsewhere in this thread]

I think we can all agree that Christine, wife of Robert Cressett, and Mary, wife of Robert Montfort, were the granddaughters of John Stapleton the MP by his daughter Margaret. What we do not know is what the name of Margaret’s husband, and thus the surname of the daughters, was.

The 1919 Warwickshire Vis. (for Montfort) and the 1628 Shropshire Vis. (for Cressett) mis-identify the father of Christine Cressett and Mary Montfort.. It’s rather a leap of faith to assume that, although the fathers’ names are wrong, they still must have been Stapletons. In fact, a simpler and more plausible correction (to at least the Shropshire Vis) would be that the Vis. should have said that Christine was the granddaughter, not the daughter of John Stapleton the MP. No need to invent another Stapleton.

Earlier in this thread, there was a discussion of the Stapleton account in VCH Wiltshire vol. 8 pp. 96-103 (which was cited in the lengthy Richardson narrative). In part it says “Elizabeth's sister Margaret [daughter of John Stapleton] had married a Cressett of Upton Cressett (Salop.), and left two daughters, one of whom married Robert Cressett and the other Robert Mountfort. (fn. 163)” Footnote 163 (which I is the same source as footnote 161 previously mentioned) is the Shropshire ANHS Transactions article mentioned earlier in this thread by William Acton
(https://archive.org/details/transactionsofsh45shro/page/n493/mode/2up) I’m rather dubious about this proposed Cressett marriage, but it may or may not be more dubious than the invention of an extra John Stapleton. In searching the archives of the group, it appears that there is little knowledge of the family prior to Robert Cressett - or possible other branches.

BTW I still cannot find evidence to support the statement in the Richardson narrative that says that John Stapleton’s daughter Joan married Thomas Walwyn in addition to Thomas Hoord. Any help regarding evidence for the Walwyn marriage would be welcome.

Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<f820da63-5b24-4076-b9e5-ac3c21e3bf5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4045&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4045

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 15:36:06 -0800 (PST)
From: gdcarlso...@gmail.com (fosgate3)
 by: fosgate3 - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 23:36 UTC

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 12:20:23 PM UTC-6, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> [...]
>
> Botfield, Stemmata Botevilliana (1858): 163–165, 183–188 (Leighton ped.). Eyton, Antiqs. of Shropshire 6 (1858): 118. Collectanea Arch. 1 (1862): 79–89, 182–231. Colls. Hist. Staffs. 6 (1883): 320–321 (will of Edward Leighton). List of Sheriffs for England & Wales (PRO Lists and Indexes 9) (1898): 118. Burke, Gen. & Heraldic Hist. of the Peerage & Baronetage (76th ed., 1914): 1192–1194 (sub Leighton). Griffith, Peds. of Anglesey & Carnarvonshire Fams. (1914): 26 (Powys ped.). Trans. Shropshire Arch. & Natural Hist. Soc. 4th Ser. 5 (1915): 221. Wedgwood, Hist. of Parl. 1 (1936): 534–535 (biog. of John Leighton).. VCH Shropshire 8 (1968): 164. Court of Common Pleas, CP40/796, image 403f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no796/aCP40no796fronts/IMG_0403.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/835, image 625f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT2/E4/CP40no835/aCP40no835fronts/IMG_0625.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/883, image 431f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/E4/CP40no883/aCP40no883fronts/IMG_0431.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/883, image 498d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/E4/CP40no883/bCP40no883dorses/IMG_0498.htm). Court of Common Pleas, CP40/892, image 1286d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/R3/CP40no892/bCP40no892dorses/IMG_1286.htm). Shropshire Archives, Cat. of Shropshire Deeds & Papers of the Smythe Fam. of Acton Burnell, 1514/67 (available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk). Shropshire Archives: Eyton Fam., 665/625 (available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk).
> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 8:04:05 PM UTC-7, fosgate3 wrote:
> > In volume 2 of Plantagenet Ancestry, p.93, Richardson states Margaret Stapleton possibly married John Stapleton after 1414 but does not give any information regarding the line of this particular person. The name is presented in boldfaced typeset and nothing more. Was this an oversight by Mr. Richardson or is there simply no information regarding who this John Stapleton is?

Thank you Mr. Richardson for taking the time to provide input on this discussion. Perhaps one day, an answer will presnt itself.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Margaret Stapleton in Plantagenet Ancestry

<061e5cbf-86b6-4e24-971b-10d7b913ee15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4046&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4046

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 00:07:04 -0800 (PST)
From: wbld.ac...@gmail.com (William Acton)
 by: William Acton - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 08:07 UTC