Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: ship disasters, minimal posters
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Supersedes: <ffWdnYTZgcXbdS7_nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 00:39:43 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 05:39 UTC

[Reposting yet again to start a new thread. Please respons in either
thread, but preferably in this one.]

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-12,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. What country became the fourth euro-zone nation to seek a
financial bailout, to the tune of as much as 100,000,000,000
euros?

2. In 1769 observers were dispatched throughout the world,
including Capt. James Cook to Tahiti, to observe and measure
an astronomical event. Considering the challenges of their
location, time, and measuring apparatus, it's amazing that
their measurements were off by only 2%. It happened again
last week, but won't occur for another 105 years. What is this
astronomical event?

* Game 6, Round 2 - History - Ship Disasters

In April 1912, the White Star's liner Titanic hit an iceberg
off Newfoundland and sank. The death toll was over 1,500 of
about 2,200 passengers and crew. This round is about shipping
disasters that have happened *since then*.

1. In September of 1949, this Canada Steamship passenger liner
burned and sank at Pier 9 in the Toronto harbor with a loss of
139 lives. Arson was suspected. Name the ship.

2. In October 1927, a luxury Italian liner was headed for Rio
de Janeiro from the Cape Verde islands with 288 crew and 971
passengers when it caught fire and sank off the Brazilian coast.
More than 300 people died, many of them Italian immigrants.
Name the ship.

3. In what year (within 2) did the Princess Victoria sink in the
North Channel between Scotland and Northern Ireland, during a
severe storm? About 133 people were killed.

4. In January 2012 the Costa Concordia capsized off the coast
of Italy, """allegedly due to "poor judgement" on the part of
its captain""". Name *him*.

5. Two passenger ships, one Swedish and the other Italian,
collided 45 miles off the coast of Nantucket Island in
July 1956. Both ships were badly damaged but less than 50
people were killed. The Italian ship sank 11 hours later.
Name *either* ship.

6. In August 1986, the passenger liner Admiral Nakhimov collided
with cargo ship Pyotr Vasev. 423 passengers and crew died.
In what body of water did this tragedy occur?

7. The car ferry Herald of Free Enterprise capsized and sank
minutes after leaving the Belgian port of Zeebrugge in March
1987. 193 people were killed. Why did it capsize?

8. The luxury liner Achille Lauro caught fire and sank off the coast
of Somalia in 1994. This same ship was already infamous for
another incident in 1985. What had happened *that* time?
Give details.

9. In April 1980 the Philippine inter-island ferry Don Juan,
while en route from Manila to Bacolod, sank after a collision in
the Tablas Strait off the island of Mindoro. Different sources
indicate anywhere from 176 people killed up to over 1,000, which
is more likely the approximate number of passengers aboard.
Anyway, *what did it collide with*?

10. """The all-time worst""" peacetime sea tragedy was also in the
Philippines, in 1987. The ferry Dona Paz sank after colliding
with the tanker Vector in the Sibuyan Sea. Within 500 deaths,
how many lives are believed to have been lost?

* Game 6, Round 3 - Arts - Minimalist Movie Posters

What you see on the handout are not real movie posters; they're
from one or more web sites whose participants invent posters in
this style. (<http://minimalmovieposters.tumblr.com/> is one such,
but the original author didn't give us a URL and I haven't checked
through that site to see if these posters can all be found there.)

See the 2-page handout: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/min.pdf

We give you the picture number and the year of a movie; you
name the movie. (*Note*: If it's part of a series, we need the
specific individual title.) There were 8 decoys on the handout,
for which there no clues; skip over the decoys if you like,
or answer them for fun, but for no points.

1. 1967 movie.
2. (decoy)
3. 1977 movie.
4. (decoy)
5. 1977 movie.
6. (decoy)
7. (decoy)
8. (decoy)
9. 1975 movie.
10. 1998 movie.
11. (decoy)
12. 2009 movie.
13. (decoy)
14. 2005 movie.
15. (decoy)
16. 2003 movie.
17. 2010 sequel movie.
18. 1995 movie.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Argh! Hoist by my own canard :-) !"
msb@vex.net -- Steve Summit

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: ship disasters, minimal posters

<t92o1b$205$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3988&group=rec.games.trivia#3988

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 22:04:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 22:04 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 2. In 1769 observers were dispatched throughout the world,
> including Capt. James Cook to Tahiti, to observe and measure
> an astronomical event. Considering the challenges of their
> location, time, and measuring apparatus, it's amazing that
> their measurements were off by only 2%. It happened again
> last week, but won't occur for another 105 years. What is this
> astronomical event?

transit of Venus

> * Game 6, Round 2 - History - Ship Disasters

> 2. In October 1927, a luxury Italian liner was headed for Rio
> de Janeiro from the Cape Verde islands with 288 crew and 971
> passengers when it caught fire and sank off the Brazilian coast.
> More than 300 people died, many of them Italian immigrants.
> Name the ship.

Andrea Doria

> 5. Two passenger ships, one Swedish and the other Italian,
> collided 45 miles off the coast of Nantucket Island in
> July 1956. Both ships were badly damaged but less than 50
> people were killed. The Italian ship sank 11 hours later.
> Name *either* ship.

Andrea Doria

> 6. In August 1986, the passenger liner Admiral Nakhimov collided
> with cargo ship Pyotr Vasev. 423 passengers and crew died.
> In what body of water did this tragedy occur?

Black Sea; White Sea

> 7. The car ferry Herald of Free Enterprise capsized and sank
> minutes after leaving the Belgian port of Zeebrugge in March
> 1987. 193 people were killed. Why did it capsize?

cars were not secured properly

> 8. The luxury liner Achille Lauro caught fire and sank off the coast
> of Somalia in 1994. This same ship was already infamous for
> another incident in 1985. What had happened *that* time?
> Give details.

terrorists hijacked it and killed some passengers

> 10. """The all-time worst""" peacetime sea tragedy was also in the
> Philippines, in 1987. The ferry Dona Paz sank after colliding
> with the tanker Vector in the Sibuyan Sea. Within 500 deaths,
> how many lives are believed to have been lost?

2000

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Arts - Minimalist Movie Posters

> 1. 1967 movie.

Cool Hand Luke

> 3. 1977 movie.

Slapshot

> 5. 1977 movie.

Rocky; Saturday Night Fever

> 10. 1998 movie.

The Big Lebowski

> 12. 2009 movie.

Up

> 14. 2005 movie.

V for Vendetta

> 16. 2003 movie.

The Incredibles

> 17. 2010 sequel movie.

Sex and the City 2

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: ship disasters, minimal posters

<t9827t$1c1i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3989&group=rec.games.trivia#3989

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 17:29:17 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 22:29 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> [Reposting yet again to start a new thread. Please respons in either
> thread, but preferably in this one.]
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-12,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What country became the fourth euro-zone nation to seek a
> financial bailout, to the tune of as much as 100,000,000,000
> euros?
>
> 2. In 1769 observers were dispatched throughout the world,
> including Capt. James Cook to Tahiti, to observe and measure
> an astronomical event. Considering the challenges of their
> location, time, and measuring apparatus, it's amazing that
> their measurements were off by only 2%. It happened again
> last week, but won't occur for another 105 years. What is this
> astronomical event?
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - History - Ship Disasters
>
> In April 1912, the White Star's liner Titanic hit an iceberg
> off Newfoundland and sank. The death toll was over 1,500 of
> about 2,200 passengers and crew. This round is about shipping
> disasters that have happened *since then*.
>
> 1. In September of 1949, this Canada Steamship passenger liner
> burned and sank at Pier 9 in the Toronto harbor with a loss of
> 139 lives. Arson was suspected. Name the ship.
>
> 2. In October 1927, a luxury Italian liner was headed for Rio
> de Janeiro from the Cape Verde islands with 288 crew and 971
> passengers when it caught fire and sank off the Brazilian coast.
> More than 300 people died, many of them Italian immigrants.
> Name the ship.

Andrea Doria

> 3. In what year (within 2) did the Princess Victoria sink in the
> North Channel between Scotland and Northern Ireland, during a
> severe storm? About 133 people were killed.
>
> 4. In January 2012 the Costa Concordia capsized off the coast
> of Italy, """allegedly due to "poor judgement" on the part of
> its captain""". Name *him*.
>
> 5. Two passenger ships, one Swedish and the other Italian,
> collided 45 miles off the coast of Nantucket Island in
> July 1956. Both ships were badly damaged but less than 50
> people were killed. The Italian ship sank 11 hours later.
> Name *either* ship.
>
> 6. In August 1986, the passenger liner Admiral Nakhimov collided
> with cargo ship Pyotr Vasev. 423 passengers and crew died.
> In what body of water did this tragedy occur?

Baltic Sea

> 7. The car ferry Herald of Free Enterprise capsized and sank
> minutes after leaving the Belgian port of Zeebrugge in March
> 1987. 193 people were killed. Why did it capsize?

Door was not closed, allowing seawater to enter the boat.

> 8. The luxury liner Achille Lauro caught fire and sank off the coast
> of Somalia in 1994. This same ship was already infamous for
> another incident in 1985. What had happened *that* time?
> Give details.

Hijacked by terrorists. Jewish passenger in wheelchair pushed overboard.

> 9. In April 1980 the Philippine inter-island ferry Don Juan,
> while en route from Manila to Bacolod, sank after a collision in
> the Tablas Strait off the island of Mindoro. Different sources
> indicate anywhere from 176 people killed up to over 1,000, which
> is more likely the approximate number of passengers aboard.
> Anyway, *what did it collide with*?
>
> 10. """The all-time worst""" peacetime sea tragedy was also in the
> Philippines, in 1987. The ferry Dona Paz sank after colliding
> with the tanker Vector in the Sibuyan Sea. Within 500 deaths,
> how many lives are believed to have been lost?

2500

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Arts - Minimalist Movie Posters
>
> What you see on the handout are not real movie posters; they're
> from one or more web sites whose participants invent posters in
> this style. (<http://minimalmovieposters.tumblr.com/> is one such,
> but the original author didn't give us a URL and I haven't checked
> through that site to see if these posters can all be found there.)
>
> See the 2-page handout: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/min.pdf
>
> We give you the picture number and the year of a movie; you
> name the movie. (*Note*: If it's part of a series, we need the
> specific individual title.) There were 8 decoys on the handout,
> for which there no clues; skip over the decoys if you like,
> or answer them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. 1967 movie.
> 2. (decoy)

This Is Spinal Tap

> 3. 1977 movie.