When people say nothing, they don't necessarily mean nothing.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, DickensMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, DickensJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, DickensErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, DickensDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, DickensDan Blum
+* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 answers: theisms, DickensMark Brader
|`- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 answers: theisms, Dickensswp
`* Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, DickensPete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, DickensMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

<HsWdnc_rTfQwXl7_nZ2dnUU7-UfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4012&group=rec.games.trivia#4012

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 23:53:01 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 04:53 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. In Sherbrooke, Quebec, an amateur student hypnotist at an
end-of-school show had to call in reinforcements due to a hitch
in the performance. What went wrong?

2. Why was there controversy over a trip by British PM David
Cameron to the Plough Inn in Cadsden, England?

* Game 7, Round 2 - History - Theisms

We give you a definition of a belief system or other religious term;
you give us the -ism, from the list, that matches that definition.
Some questions have more than one correct answer, but answers do
not repeat.

Adoptionism Creationism Monolatrism Shamanism
Agnosticism Deism Monotheism Thomism
Anthropotheism Dogmatism Paganism Zionism
Apatheism Escapism Panpsychism Zoism
Asceticism Henotheism Pantheism
Atheism Hylozoism Polytheism

1. Give the term for the belief that the force of life is inherent
in all matter.

2. Give the term for the worship of a particular god preferentially
by a family/tribe/city, without disbelieving in the existence
of any other gods.

3. This term refers to a total lack of interest in the subject of
whether or not gods exist, so that such questions are considered
neither meaningful nor relevant.

4. Give the term for the doctrine or belief that a person can
attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing
self-denial, self-mortification, and the like. This process
is not limited to a single belief system, but is more of a
lifestyle choice within many different religions.

5. Give the term that refers to the belief that human reason is
incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify
that deities either do or do not exist, i.e. there is uncertainty
as to the existence of higher forces.

6. Give the term that refers to the belief that gods actually
have human forms and natures, or are only deified human beings.
The Greek gods would follow this vision.

7. Given the term that refers to the animistic religion of northern
Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be
influenced only by holy men.

8. This term is most often used in two contexts. It can refer
to any religion outside of one's own particular belief system; it
has also been used to represent any non-Abrahamic, multiple-god
religious system.

9. Give the term that refers to belief in the existence of a god
as the creator of the universe based on reason and evidence
of the natural world around us, while rejecting supernatural
revelation, prophecy, miracles, etc. Its followers believe
that the creator rarely, if ever, interferes in human events.

10. This term represents the belief that the universe and God
are one and the same, that there is no personal creator God.
This viewpoint has been gaining in popularity recently; the
New York Times called it "Hollywood's religion of choice for a
generation now", and the Pope recently denounced it for denying
the superiority of humans over nature.

* Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - Characters from Dickens

"""This year""" we celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of
Charles Dickens. Even if you haven't read his works in years --
or ever -- you know how his characters have permeated our culture
through plays and movies. In this round we'll give you the name of
one of his famous characters and the novel in which that character
appears; you tell us the number of the corresponding image (as
painted by Joseph Clayton Clarke, aka "Kyd") on the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/dickens.jpg

1. Jo, from "Bleak House".
2. Sairey Gamp, from "Martin Chuzzlewit".
3. Mr. Micawber, from "David Copperfield".
4. The Artful Dodger, from "Oliver Twist".
5. Abel Magwitch, from "Great Expectations".
6. Uriah Heep, from "David Copperfield".
7. Mr. Pickwick, from "The Pickwick Papers".
8. Mr. Bumble, from "Oliver Twist".
9. Mr. Peggotty, from "David Copperfield".
10. Mr. Mantalini, from "Nicholas Nickleby".

Decode the rot13 if you want to see the 6 decoys and identify their
pictures for fun, but for no points:

11. Gur Sng Obl, sebz "Gur Cvpxjvpx Cncref".
12. Ze. Jnpxsbeq Fdhrref, sebz "Avpubynf Avpxyrol".
13. Zef. Oneqryy, sebz "Gur Cvpxjvpx Cncref".
14. Gur Znepuvbarff, sebz "Gur Byq Phevbfvgl Fubc".
15. Dhvyc, sebz "Gur Byq Phevbfvgl Fubc".
16. Ovyy Fvxrf (Flxrf va fbzr rqvgvbaf), sebz "Byvire Gjvfg".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It is one thing to praise discipline, and another
msb@vex.net | to submit to it." -- Miguel de Cervantes, 1613

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

<444d6904-f71e-4ab9-a576-2be9b3ac3b49n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4013&group=rec.games.trivia#4013

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 22:59:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 05:59 UTC

On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 11:53:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Theisms
>
> We give you a definition of a belief system or other religious term;
> you give us the -ism, from the list, that matches that definition.
>
> 1. Give the term for the belief that the force of life is inherent
> in all matter.

pantheism

> 2. Give the term for the worship of a particular god preferentially
> by a family/tribe/city, without disbelieving in the existence
> of any other gods.

henotheism; monolatrism

> 3. This term refers to a total lack of interest in the subject of
> whether or not gods exist, so that such questions are considered
> neither meaningful nor relevant.

apatheism
> 4. Give the term for the doctrine or belief that a person can
> attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing
> self-denial, self-mortification, and the like. This process
> is not limited to a single belief system, but is more of a
> lifestyle choice within many different religions.

asceticism

> 5. Give the term that refers to the belief that human reason is
> incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify
> that deities either do or do not exist, i.e. there is uncertainty
> as to the existence of higher forces.

agnosticism

> 6. Give the term that refers to the belief that gods actually
> have human forms and natures, or are only deified human beings.
> The Greek gods would follow this vision.

anthropotheism

> 7. Given the term that refers to the animistic religion of northern
> Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be
> influenced only by holy men.

shamanism

> 8. This term is most often used in two contexts. It can refer
> to any religion outside of one's own particular belief system; it
> has also been used to represent any non-Abrahamic, multiple-god
> religious system.

paganism

> 9. Give the term that refers to belief in the existence of a god
> as the creator of the universe based on reason and evidence
> of the natural world around us, while rejecting supernatural
> revelation, prophecy, miracles, etc. Its followers believe
> that the creator rarely, if ever, interferes in human events.

deism

#1; #6

#4; #15

#2; #7

#10: #13

#3; #11

#14; #16

#1; #5

#7; #13

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

<XnsAECB65CE2BFCBYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4014&group=rec.games.trivia#4014

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 10:00:28 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 08:00 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Give the term for the belief that the force of life is inherent
> in all matter.

Panpsychism
> 2. Give the term for the worship of a particular god preferentially
> by a family/tribe/city, without disbelieving in the existence
> of any other gods.

Polytheism
> 3. This term refers to a total lack of interest in the subject of
> whether or not gods exist, so that such questions are considered
> neither meaningful nor relevant.

Apatheism
> 4. Give the term for the doctrine or belief that a person can
> attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing
> self-denial, self-mortification, and the like. This process
> is not limited to a single belief system, but is more of a
> lifestyle choice within many different religions.

Asceticism
> 5. Give the term that refers to the belief that human reason is
> incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify
> that deities either do or do not exist, i.e. there is uncertainty
> as to the existence of higher forces.

Agnosticism

> 6. Give the term that refers to the belief that gods actually
> have human forms and natures, or are only deified human beings.
> The Greek gods would follow this vision.

Henotheism
> 7. Given the term that refers to the animistic religion of northern
> Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be
> influenced only by holy men.

Shamanism
> 8. This term is most often used in two contexts. It can refer
> to any religion outside of one's own particular belief system; it
> has also been used to represent any non-Abrahamic, multiple-god
> religious system.

Paganism

> 9. Give the term that refers to belief in the existence of a god
> as the creator of the universe based on reason and evidence
> of the natural world around us, while rejecting supernatural
> revelation, prophecy, miracles, etc. Its followers believe
> that the creator rarely, if ever, interferes in human events.

Anthropotheism
> 10. This term represents the belief that the universe and God
> are one and the same, that there is no personal creator God.
> This viewpoint has been gaining in popularity recently; the
> New York Times called it "Hollywood's religion of choice for a
> generation now", and the Pope recently denounced it for denying
> the superiority of humans over nature.

Pantheism

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

<ta2vsf$3uof7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4015&group=rec.games.trivia#4015

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 20:34:37 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 03:34 UTC

On 7/4/22 21:53, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. In Sherbrooke, Quebec, an amateur student hypnotist at an
> end-of-school show had to call in reinforcements due to a hitch
> in the performance. What went wrong?
>
> 2. Why was there controversy over a trip by British PM David
> Cameron to the Plough Inn in Cadsden, England?
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Theisms
>
> We give you a definition of a belief system or other religious term;
> you give us the -ism, from the list, that matches that definition.
> Some questions have more than one correct answer, but answers do
> not repeat.
>
> Adoptionism Creationism Monolatrism Shamanism
> Agnosticism Deism Monotheism Thomism
> Anthropotheism Dogmatism Paganism Zionism
> Apatheism Escapism Panpsychism Zoism
> Asceticism Henotheism Pantheism
> Atheism Hylozoism Polytheism
>
> 1. Give the term for the belief that the force of life is inherent
> in all matter.

Hylozoism

> 2. Give the term for the worship of a particular god preferentially
> by a family/tribe/city, without disbelieving in the existence
> of any other gods.

henotheism

> 3. This term refers to a total lack of interest in the subject of
> whether or not gods exist, so that such questions are considered
> neither meaningful nor relevant.

apatheism

> 4. Give the term for the doctrine or belief that a person can
> attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing
> self-denial, self-mortification, and the like. This process
> is not limited to a single belief system, but is more of a
> lifestyle choice within many different religions.

Asceticism

> 5. Give the term that refers to the belief that human reason is
> incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify
> that deities either do or do not exist, i.e. there is uncertainty
> as to the existence of higher forces.

agnosticism

> 6. Give the term that refers to the belief that gods actually
> have human forms and natures, or are only deified human beings.
> The Greek gods would follow this vision.

Anthropotheism

> 7. Given the term that refers to the animistic religion of northern
> Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be
> influenced only by holy men.

Shamanism

> 8. This term is most often used in two contexts. It can refer
> to any religion outside of one's own particular belief system; it
> has also been used to represent any non-Abrahamic, multiple-god
> religious system.

paganism

> 9. Give the term that refers to belief in the existence of a god
> as the creator of the universe based on reason and evidence
> of the natural world around us, while rejecting supernatural
> revelation, prophecy, miracles, etc. Its followers believe
> that the creator rarely, if ever, interferes in human events.

deism

> 10. This term represents the belief that the universe and God
> are one and the same, that there is no personal creator God.
> This viewpoint has been gaining in popularity recently; the
> New York Times called it "Hollywood's religion of choice for a
> generation now", and the Pope recently denounced it for denying
> the superiority of humans over nature.

Panpsychism

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - Characters from Dickens
>
> """This year""" we celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of
> Charles Dickens. Even if you haven't read his works in years --
> or ever -- you know how his characters have permeated our culture
> through plays and movies. In this round we'll give you the name of
> one of his famous characters and the novel in which that character
> appears; you tell us the number of the corresponding image (as
> painted by Joseph Clayton Clarke, aka "Kyd") on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/dickens.jpg
>
> 1. Jo, from "Bleak House".
> 2. Sairey Gamp, from "Martin Chuzzlewit".
> 3. Mr. Micawber, from "David Copperfield".
> 4. The Artful Dodger, from "Oliver Twist".
> 5. Abel Magwitch, from "Great Expectations".
> 6. Uriah Heep, from "David Copperfield".
> 7. Mr. Pickwick, from "The Pickwick Papers".
> 8. Mr. Bumble, from "Oliver Twist".
> 9. Mr. Peggotty, from "David Copperfield".
> 10. Mr. Mantalini, from "Nicholas Nickleby".
>

> Decode the rot13 if you want to see the 6 decoys and identify their
> pictures for fun, but for no points:
>
> 11. Gur Sng Obl, sebz "Gur Cvpxjvpx Cncref".
> 12. Ze. Jnpxsbeq Fdhrref, sebz "Avpubynf Avpxyrol".
> 13. Zef. Oneqryy, sebz "Gur Cvpxjvpx Cncref".
> 14. Gur Znepuvbarff, sebz "Gur Byq Phevbfvgl Fubc".
> 15. Dhvyc, sebz "Gur Byq Phevbfvgl Fubc".
> 16. Ovyy Fvxrf (Flxrf va fbzr rqvgvbaf), sebz "Byvire Gjvfg".

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

<ta539r$94u$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4016&group=rec.games.trivia#4016

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 22:45:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 22:45 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Theisms

> 1. Give the term for the belief that the force of life is inherent
> in all matter.

panpsychism

> 2. Give the term for the worship of a particular god preferentially
> by a family/tribe/city, without disbelieving in the existence
> of any other gods.

henotheism

> 3. This term refers to a total lack of interest in the subject of
> whether or not gods exist, so that such questions are considered
> neither meaningful nor relevant.

apatheism

> 4. Give the term for the doctrine or belief that a person can
> attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing
> self-denial, self-mortification, and the like. This process
> is not limited to a single belief system, but is more of a
> lifestyle choice within many different religions.

asceticism

> 5. Give the term that refers to the belief that human reason is
> incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify
> that deities either do or do not exist, i.e. there is uncertainty
> as to the existence of higher forces.

agnosticism

> 6. Give the term that refers to the belief that gods actually
> have human forms and natures, or are only deified human beings.
> The Greek gods would follow this vision.

anthropotheism

> 7. Given the term that refers to the animistic religion of northern
> Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be
> influenced only by holy men.

shamanism

> 8. This term is most often used in two contexts. It can refer
> to any religion outside of one's own particular belief system; it
> has also been used to represent any non-Abrahamic, multiple-god
> religious system.

paganism

> 9. Give the term that refers to belief in the existence of a god
> as the creator of the universe based on reason and evidence
> of the natural world around us, while rejecting supernatural
> revelation, prophecy, miracles, etc. Its followers believe
> that the creator rarely, if ever, interferes in human events.

deism

> 10. This term represents the belief that the universe and God
> are one and the same, that there is no personal creator God.
> This viewpoint has been gaining in popularity recently; the
> New York Times called it "Hollywood's religion of choice for a
> generation now", and the Pope recently denounced it for denying
> the superiority of humans over nature.

zoism

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - Characters from Dickens

> 4. The Artful Dodger, from "Oliver Twist".

10

> 6. Uriah Heep, from "David Copperfield".

7

> 7. Mr. Pickwick, from "The Pickwick Papers".

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 answers: theisms, Dickens

<FoKdncJyDNgXcFr_nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4017&group=rec.games.trivia#4017

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 answers: theisms, Dickens
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 03:40:42 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 08:40 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. In Sherbrooke, Quebec, an amateur student hypnotist at an
> end-of-school show had to call in reinforcements due to a hitch
> in the performance. What went wrong?

He couldn't unhypnotize several of the students afterwards.

> 2. Why was there controversy over a trip by British PM David
> Cameron to the Plough Inn in Cadsden, England?

Cameron and his wife accidentally left their 8-year-old daughter
there.

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Theisms

> We give you a definition of a belief system or other religious term;
> you give us the -ism, from the list, that matches that definition.
> Some questions have more than one correct answer, but answers do
> not repeat.

> Adoptionism Creationism Monolatrism Shamanism
> Agnosticism Deism Monotheism Thomism
> Anthropotheism Dogmatism Paganism Zionism
> Apatheism Escapism Panpsychism Zoism
> Asceticism Henotheism Pantheism
> Atheism Hylozoism Polytheism

> 1. Give the term for the belief that the force of life is inherent
> in all matter.

Hylozoism, panpsychism, or zoism. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> 2. Give the term for the worship of a particular god preferentially
> by a family/tribe/city, without disbelieving in the existence
> of any other gods.

Henotheism or monolatrism. 4 for Joshua (the hard way), Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> 3. This term refers to a total lack of interest in the subject of
> whether or not gods exist, so that such questions are considered
> neither meaningful nor relevant.

Apatheism. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> 4. Give the term for the doctrine or belief that a person can
> attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing
> self-denial, self-mortification, and the like. This process
> is not limited to a single belief system, but is more of a
> lifestyle choice within many different religions.

Asceticism. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Give the term that refers to the belief that human reason is
> incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify
> that deities either do or do not exist, i.e. there is uncertainty
> as to the existence of higher forces.

Agnosticism. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Give the term that refers to the belief that gods actually
> have human forms and natures, or are only deified human beings.
> The Greek gods would follow this vision.

Anthropotheism. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 7. Given the term that refers to the animistic religion of northern
> Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be
> influenced only by holy men.

Shamanism. 4 for everyone.

> 8. This term is most often used in two contexts. It can refer
> to any religion outside of one's own particular belief system; it
> has also been used to represent any non-Abrahamic, multiple-god
> religious system.

Paganism. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Give the term that refers to belief in the existence of a god
> as the creator of the universe based on reason and evidence
> of the natural world around us, while rejecting supernatural
> revelation, prophecy, miracles, etc. Its followers believe
> that the creator rarely, if ever, interferes in human events.

Deism. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 10. This term represents the belief that the universe and God
> are one and the same, that there is no personal creator God.
> This viewpoint has been gaining in popularity recently; the
> New York Times called it "Hollywood's religion of choice for a
> generation now", and the Pope recently denounced it for denying
> the superiority of humans over nature.

Pantheism. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

Sorry, I should have triple-quoted """recent(ly)""". I am apatheistic
about any later developments in this area. :-)

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - Characters from Dickens

> """This year""" we celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of
> Charles Dickens. Even if you haven't read his works in years --
> or ever -- you know how his characters have permeated our culture
> through plays and movies. In this round we'll give you the name of
> one of his famous characters and the novel in which that character
> appears; you tell us the number of the corresponding image (as
> painted by Joseph Clayton Clarke, aka "Kyd") on the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/dickens.jpg

In 2013 Joshua Kreitzer commented:
| I think that What She Said and Smith and Guessin' may have
| overestimated the extent to which these particular characters have
| permeated our culture.

I replied that I had somewhat the same feeling, but in fact, if
current-events rounds are ignored, this was the second-easiest round
in the original game and one of four rounds tied for fourth-easiest
in the entire season.

#12.

#4. 3 for Joshua.

#11.

#10. 4 for Dan Blum.

#8. 4 for Joshua.

#7. 4 for Dan Blum.

#3. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

#9.

#2.

#13. 2 for Joshua.

> Decode the rot13 if you want to see the 6 decoys and identify their
> pictures for fun, but for no points:

Nobody tried these. In 2013 only Stephen Perry did (remember Stephen
Perry?), but he got all 6.

#5.

#14.

#15.

#6.

#16.

#1.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 36 12 48
Dan Blum 36 12 48
Dan Tilque 36 0 36
Erland Sommarskog 28 0 28

--
Mark Brader "A hundred billion is *not* infinite
Toronto and it's getting less infinite all the time!"

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

<tac5t7$bhu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4022&group=rec.games.trivia#4022

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 10:12:39 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 15:12 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. In Sherbrooke, Quebec, an amateur student hypnotist at an
> end-of-school show had to call in reinforcements due to a hitch
> in the performance. What went wrong?
>
> 2. Why was there controversy over a trip by British PM David
> Cameron to the Plough Inn in Cadsden, England?
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - History - Theisms
>
> We give you a definition of a belief system or other religious term;
> you give us the -ism, from the list, that matches that definition.
> Some questions have more than one correct answer, but answers do
> not repeat.
>
> Adoptionism Creationism Monolatrism Shamanism
> Agnosticism Deism Monotheism Thomism
> Anthropotheism Dogmatism Paganism Zionism
> Apatheism Escapism Panpsychism Zoism
> Asceticism Henotheism Pantheism
> Atheism Hylozoism Polytheism
>
> 1. Give the term for the belief that the force of life is inherent
> in all matter.

Pantheism

> 2. Give the term for the worship of a particular god preferentially
> by a family/tribe/city, without disbelieving in the existence
> of any other gods.

Monotheism

> 3. This term refers to a total lack of interest in the subject of
> whether or not gods exist, so that such questions are considered
> neither meaningful nor relevant.

Agnosticism

> 4. Give the term for the doctrine or belief that a person can
> attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing
> self-denial, self-mortification, and the like. This process
> is not limited to a single belief system, but is more of a
> lifestyle choice within many different religions.

Asceticism

> 5. Give the term that refers to the belief that human reason is
> incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify
> that deities either do or do not exist, i.e. there is uncertainty
> as to the existence of higher forces.

Atheism

> 6. Give the term that refers to the belief that gods actually
> have human forms and natures, or are only deified human beings.
> The Greek gods would follow this vision.

Anthropotheism

> 7. Given the term that refers to the animistic religion of northern
> Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be
> influenced only by holy men.

Shamanism

> 8. This term is most often used in two contexts. It can refer
> to any religion outside of one's own particular belief system; it
> has also been used to represent any non-Abrahamic, multiple-god
> religious system.

Polytheism

> 9. Give the term that refers to belief in the existence of a god
> as the creator of the universe based on reason and evidence
> of the natural world around us, while rejecting supernatural
> revelation, prophecy, miracles, etc. Its followers believe
> that the creator rarely, if ever, interferes in human events.

Deism

> 10. This term represents the belief that the universe and God
> are one and the same, that there is no personal creator God.
> This viewpoint has been gaining in popularity recently; the
> New York Times called it "Hollywood's religion of choice for a
> generation now", and the Pope recently denounced it for denying
> the superiority of humans over nature.

Monolatrism; Anthropotheism

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - Characters from Dickens
>
> """This year""" we celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of
> Charles Dickens. Even if you haven't read his works in years --
> or ever -- you know how his characters have permeated our culture
> through plays and movies. In this round we'll give you the name of
> one of his famous characters and the novel in which that character
> appears; you tell us the number of the corresponding image (as
> painted by Joseph Clayton Clarke, aka "Kyd") on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/dickens.jpg
>
> 1. Jo, from "Bleak House".
> 2. Sairey Gamp, from "Martin Chuzzlewit".
> 3. Mr. Micawber, from "David Copperfield".
> 4. The Artful Dodger, from "Oliver Twist".
> 5. Abel Magwitch, from "Great Expectations".
> 6. Uriah Heep, from "David Copperfield".
> 7. Mr. Pickwick, from "The Pickwick Papers".
> 8. Mr. Bumble, from "Oliver Twist".
> 9. Mr. Peggotty, from "David Copperfield".
> 10. Mr. Mantalini, from "Nicholas Nickleby".
>

> Decode the rot13 if you want to see the 6 decoys and identify their
> pictures for fun, but for no points:
>
> 11. Gur Sng Obl, sebz "Gur Cvpxjvpx Cncref".
> 12. Ze. Jnpxsbeq Fdhrref, sebz "Avpubynf Avpxyrol".
> 13. Zef. Oneqryy, sebz "Gur Cvpxjvpx Cncref".
> 14. Gur Znepuvbarff, sebz "Gur Byq Phevbfvgl Fubc".
> 15. Dhvyc, sebz "Gur Byq Phevbfvgl Fubc".
> 16. Ovyy Fvxrf (Flxrf va fbzr rqvgvbaf), sebz "Byvire Gjvfg".

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 answers: theisms, Dickens

<914da391-6975-4fd9-b1f6-15b92737cae1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4023&group=rec.games.trivia#4023

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 09:16:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 16:16 UTC

On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 4:40:48 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> Nobody tried these. In 2013 only Stephen Perry did (remember Stephen
> Perry?), but he got all 6.

history is on my side. and memory too. and so into my heart blows a cold wind from the past; for I remember babylon.

swp

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: theisms, Dickens

<zMCdnb9bu5ybSlT_nZ2dnUU7-KHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4025&group=rec.games.trivia#4025

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 14:29:10 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 19:29 UTC

If his answers had been posted on time, Pete Gayde would have scored
16 points on Round 2 and 0 on Round 3.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I like the other Bobs. Now, if I can only
msb@vex.net | recall which Mark I hate." --Al Fargnoli