Too much is just enough. -- Mark Twain, on whiskey

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, artMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, artJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, artDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, artDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, artErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, artPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: peacekeeping, artMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art

<HK6dnbyAgqdWQEj_nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4042&group=rec.games.trivia#4042

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:25:15 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 22:25 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. In London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tried to avoid a
British deportation order by seeking refuge in a foreign embassy.
What was the country that Assange turned to for asylum?

2. This question is an answer that must be answered with a question.
He is a game-show host who suffered a heart attack this weekend.

* Game 8, Round 2 - Canadiana History - UN Peacekeeping

*Note*: Where the answer calls for a country, always be
sufficiently complete and specific or else you will be
scored as wrong.

1. UN Security Council Resolution 1264 (hereafter R-1264) passed
in 1999. Canadian troops were part of a multi-national
peacekeeping force sent to this country to aid in sponsoring
their act of self-determination to separate from Indonesia,
declared in 1975. Name the region / new country.

2. Established by the General Assembly in 1956, the United Nations
Emergency Force (UNEF) included up to 1,700 Canadian troops
and was formed to monitor peaceful withdrawal of the troops
that had invaded what nation?

3. The aforementioned UNEF originated from a proposal of which man,
honored as the "father of modern peacekeeping"?

4. R-340, passed in 1973, involved the second Emergency Force,
UNEF II, which was dispatched to oversee the ceasefire
between Egypt and Israel after this war. The highest Canadian
participation was 1,145 troops. Name the war.

5. R-1542, passed in 2004, established a "stabilization mission"
to this Western Hemisphere country, to increase security and
protection during an electoral period and to maintain civil order
and public safety. Peak Canadian participation was 500 troops
and 6 helicopters. Name the country.

6. R-187 passed unanimously in 1964. It mandated a peacekeeping
operation that lasted over 29 years. The Canadian contingent
was code-named Operation Snowgoose, and eventually involved
over 50,000 participants. Name the country.

7. The United Nations Protection Force formed in February 1992
involved Canadian personnel for 3 years, providing security
in two different countries during wartime. The actions of the
Canadian contingent were labeled Operation Harmony, and became
the basis for the 1997 movie "Peacekeepers". Name *either one*
of the two newly formed countries that the Canadian troops were
deployed to.

8. R-794 sanctioned a multinational force of 28,000 troops that
spent 3 years in this African country, on a nation-building
initiative of disarming various militant factions and helping to
create a new government. After much contention, 28 days after
US troops left, R-954 ordered the withdrawal of all troops,
including Canadians. Name the country.

9. R-84, passed in 1950, mandated the largest-ever UN combined
force. The conflict led to 312 Canadian fatalities. Name the
country the force deployed to.

10. R-872 in 1993, passed unanimously, had major Canadian
representation, making a hero of one Canadian soldier.
What country was this crisis in?

* Game 8, Round 3 - Arts - Name the Artwork

Too often we are asked to name an artist, not the actual artwork.
The 3-page handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/art.pdf

features paintings and other works of art. Each question asks about
two works -- a and b -- by two different artists. Never mind the
artists; just give the *title* of *one or both works* in each pair.
I've sorted the round in order of the handout.

*NOTE: THIS IS A BONUS ROUND*. On each question, the following
special scoring for correct answers applies:

- For the first title you give, 4 points
- For the second title you give, 2 points

Your two answers are scored *INDEPENDENTLY* -- so there's NO
PENALTY for wrong guesses, and NO REASON not to give two titles
on each question even if you're only sure of one of them. But do
put the one you're most sure of first. (To be clear, you don't
get an additional guess after naming two titles.)

1. No hint.
2. No hint.
3. No hint.
4. No hint.
5. No hint.
6. No hint.
7. No hint.

8. Panel 8a is from the Sistine Chapel and its two parts are titled
separately; either one of those titles will be accepted (but
not both; you also need to answer for 8b for the full 6 points).

9. No hint.

10. This pair was a decoy; answer it if you like for fun, but for
no points.

11. No hint.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just to be clear, pythons
msb@vex.net do not have feet." --Tony Cooper

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art

<7a915993-e104-4f27-8c5e-2265e8be0573n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4043&group=rec.games.trivia#4043

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:45:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 22:45 UTC

On Monday, July 18, 2022 at 5:25:21 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. In London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tried to avoid a
> British deportation order by seeking refuge in a foreign embassy.
> What was the country that Assange turned to for asylum?

Ecuador
> 2. This question is an answer that must be answered with a question.
> He is a game-show host who suffered a heart attack this weekend.

Who was Alex Trebek? (I don't recall that, though.)

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Canadiana History - UN Peacekeeping
>
> *Note*: Where the answer calls for a country, always be
> sufficiently complete and specific or else you will be
> scored as wrong.
>
> 1. UN Security Council Resolution 1264 (hereafter R-1264) passed
> in 1999. Canadian troops were part of a multi-national
> peacekeeping force sent to this country to aid in sponsoring
> their act of self-determination to separate from Indonesia,
> declared in 1975. Name the region / new country.

Timor-Leste

> 2. Established by the General Assembly in 1956, the United Nations
> Emergency Force (UNEF) included up to 1,700 Canadian troops
> and was formed to monitor peaceful withdrawal of the troops
> that had invaded what nation?

Egypt

> 3. The aforementioned UNEF originated from a proposal of which man,
> honored as the "father of modern peacekeeping"?

Pearson; Bunche

> 4. R-340, passed in 1973, involved the second Emergency Force,
> UNEF II, which was dispatched to oversee the ceasefire
> between Egypt and Israel after this war. The highest Canadian
> participation was 1,145 troops. Name the war.

Yom Kippur War

> 5. R-1542, passed in 2004, established a "stabilization mission"
> to this Western Hemisphere country, to increase security and
> protection during an electoral period and to maintain civil order
> and public safety. Peak Canadian participation was 500 troops
> and 6 helicopters. Name the country.

Haiti

> 7. The United Nations Protection Force formed in February 1992
> involved Canadian personnel for 3 years, providing security
> in two different countries during wartime. The actions of the
> Canadian contingent were labeled Operation Harmony, and became
> the basis for the 1997 movie "Peacekeepers". Name *either one*
> of the two newly formed countries that the Canadian troops were
> deployed to.

Bosnia and Herzegovina
> 8. R-794 sanctioned a multinational force of 28,000 troops that
> spent 3 years in this African country, on a nation-building
> initiative of disarming various militant factions and helping to
> create a new government. After much contention, 28 days after
> US troops left, R-954 ordered the withdrawal of all troops,
> including Canadians. Name the country.

Rwanda
> 9. R-84, passed in 1950, mandated the largest-ever UN combined
> force. The conflict led to 312 Canadian fatalities. Name the
> country the force deployed to.

North Korea; South Korea
(hedging my bets per the "sufficiently complete and specific" rule)

> 10. R-872 in 1993, passed unanimously, had major Canadian
> representation, making a hero of one Canadian soldier.
> What country was this crisis in?

Bosnia and Herzegovina

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Arts - Name the Artwork
>
> Too often we are asked to name an artist, not the actual artwork.
> The 3-page handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/art.pdf
>
> features paintings and other works of art. Each question asks about
> two works -- a and b -- by two different artists. Never mind the
> artists; just give the *title* of *one or both works* in each pair.

> 2. No hint.

"Girl with a Pearl Earring"; "Spring"

> 3. No hint.

"Nighthawks"

> 4. No hint.

"The Scream"; "The Gleaners"

> 5. No hint.

"American Gothic"; "The Thinker"

> 6. No hint.

"Pieta"

> 7. No hint.

"Starry Night"; "The Last Judgment"

> 9. No hint.

"A Bar at the Folies Bergere"

> 10. This pair was a decoy; answer it if you like for fun, but for
> no points.

"Guernica"

> 11. No hint.

"The Birth of Venus"; "Le dejeuner sur l'herbe"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art

<tb574u$c9t$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4044&group=rec.games.trivia#4044

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 03:07:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 03:07 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 1. In London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tried to avoid a
> British deportation order by seeking refuge in a foreign embassy.
> What was the country that Assange turned to for asylum?

Ecuador

> 2. This question is an answer that must be answered with a question.
> He is a game-show host who suffered a heart attack this weekend.

Who was Alex Trebek?

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Canadiana History - UN Peacekeeping

> 1. UN Security Council Resolution 1264 (hereafter R-1264) passed
> in 1999. Canadian troops were part of a multi-national
> peacekeeping force sent to this country to aid in sponsoring
> their act of self-determination to separate from Indonesia,
> declared in 1975. Name the region / new country.

Timor L'Este

> 2. Established by the General Assembly in 1956, the United Nations
> Emergency Force (UNEF) included up to 1,700 Canadian troops
> and was formed to monitor peaceful withdrawal of the troops
> that had invaded what nation?

Egypt

> 3. The aforementioned UNEF originated from a proposal of which man,
> honored as the "father of modern peacekeeping"?

Pearson

> 4. R-340, passed in 1973, involved the second Emergency Force,
> UNEF II, which was dispatched to oversee the ceasefire
> between Egypt and Israel after this war. The highest Canadian
> participation was 1,145 troops. Name the war.

October War

> 5. R-1542, passed in 2004, established a "stabilization mission"
> to this Western Hemisphere country, to increase security and
> protection during an electoral period and to maintain civil order
> and public safety. Peak Canadian participation was 500 troops
> and 6 helicopters. Name the country.

Haiti

> 7. The United Nations Protection Force formed in February 1992
> involved Canadian personnel for 3 years, providing security
> in two different countries during wartime. The actions of the
> Canadian contingent were labeled Operation Harmony, and became
> the basis for the 1997 movie "Peacekeepers". Name *either one*
> of the two newly formed countries that the Canadian troops were
> deployed to.

Bosnia and Hercegovina

> 9. R-84, passed in 1950, mandated the largest-ever UN combined
> force. The conflict led to 312 Canadian fatalities. Name the
> country the force deployed to.

South Korea

> 10. R-872 in 1993, passed unanimously, had major Canadian
> representation, making a hero of one Canadian soldier.
> What country was this crisis in?

Kosovo

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Arts - Name the Artwork

> 2. No hint.

Girl With a Pearl Earring

> 3. No hint.

Nighthawks

> 4. No hint.

The Scream; The Gleaners

> 5. No hint.

The Thinker; American Gothic

> 6. No hint.

The Kiss

> 7. No hint.

Starry Night

> 9. No hint.

Bar at the Folies-Bergeres

> 11. No hint.

The Birth of Venus; Dejeneur sur l'herbe

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art

<tb5m14$uiir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4045&group=rec.games.trivia#4045

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 00:21:06 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 07:21 UTC

On 7/18/22 15:25, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. In London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tried to avoid a
> British deportation order by seeking refuge in a foreign embassy.
> What was the country that Assange turned to for asylum?

Ecuador

> 2. This question is an answer that must be answered with a question.
> He is a game-show host who suffered a heart attack this weekend.

Who is Alex Trebek?

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Canadiana History - UN Peacekeeping
>
> *Note*: Where the answer calls for a country, always be
> sufficiently complete and specific or else you will be
> scored as wrong.
>
> 1. UN Security Council Resolution 1264 (hereafter R-1264) passed
> in 1999. Canadian troops were part of a multi-national
> peacekeeping force sent to this country to aid in sponsoring
> their act of self-determination to separate from Indonesia,
> declared in 1975. Name the region / new country.

Timor Leste

> 2. Established by the General Assembly in 1956, the United Nations
> Emergency Force (UNEF) included up to 1,700 Canadian troops
> and was formed to monitor peaceful withdrawal of the troops
> that had invaded what nation?

Egypt

> 3. The aforementioned UNEF originated from a proposal of which man,
> honored as the "father of modern peacekeeping"?

Dag Hammarskjold

> 4. R-340, passed in 1973, involved the second Emergency Force,
> UNEF II, which was dispatched to oversee the ceasefire
> between Egypt and Israel after this war. The highest Canadian
> participation was 1,145 troops. Name the war.

Yom Kippur War

> 5. R-1542, passed in 2004, established a "stabilization mission"
> to this Western Hemisphere country, to increase security and
> protection during an electoral period and to maintain civil order
> and public safety. Peak Canadian participation was 500 troops
> and 6 helicopters. Name the country.

Panama

> 6. R-187 passed unanimously in 1964. It mandated a peacekeeping
> operation that lasted over 29 years. The Canadian contingent
> was code-named Operation Snowgoose, and eventually involved
> over 50,000 participants. Name the country.

Nigeria

> 7. The United Nations Protection Force formed in February 1992
> involved Canadian personnel for 3 years, providing security
> in two different countries during wartime. The actions of the
> Canadian contingent were labeled Operation Harmony, and became
> the basis for the 1997 movie "Peacekeepers". Name *either one*
> of the two newly formed countries that the Canadian troops were
> deployed to.

Bosnia and Herzegovina

> 8. R-794 sanctioned a multinational force of 28,000 troops that
> spent 3 years in this African country, on a nation-building
> initiative of disarming various militant factions and helping to
> create a new government. After much contention, 28 days after
> US troops left, R-954 ordered the withdrawal of all troops,
> including Canadians. Name the country.
>
> 9. R-84, passed in 1950, mandated the largest-ever UN combined
> force. The conflict led to 312 Canadian fatalities. Name the
> country the force deployed to.

South Korea

> 10. R-872 in 1993, passed unanimously, had major Canadian
> representation, making a hero of one Canadian soldier.
> What country was this crisis in?

Croatia

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Arts - Name the Artwork
>
> Too often we are asked to name an artist, not the actual artwork.
> The 3-page handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/art.pdf
>
> features paintings and other works of art. Each question asks about
> two works -- a and b -- by two different artists. Never mind the
> artists; just give the *title* of *one or both works* in each pair.
> I've sorted the round in order of the handout.
>
> *NOTE: THIS IS A BONUS ROUND*. On each question, the following
> special scoring for correct answers applies:
>
> - For the first title you give, 4 points
> - For the second title you give, 2 points
>
> Your two answers are scored *INDEPENDENTLY* -- so there's NO
> PENALTY for wrong guesses, and NO REASON not to give two titles
> on each question even if you're only sure of one of them. But do
> put the one you're most sure of first. (To be clear, you don't
> get an additional guess after naming two titles.)
>
> 1. No hint.
> 2. No hint.
> 3. No hint.
> 4. No hint.

The Scream

> 5. No hint.

The Thinker; American Gothic

> 6. No hint.

The Pieta

> 7. No hint.

Starry Night

> 8. Panel 8a is from the Sistine Chapel and its two parts are titled
> separately; either one of those titles will be accepted (but
> not both; you also need to answer for 8b for the full 6 points).
>
> 9. No hint.
>
> 10. This pair was a decoy; answer it if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 11. No hint.

The Birth of Venus

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art

<XnsAED9902D72EEYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4046&group=rec.games.trivia#4046

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:10:23 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 12:10 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. In London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tried to avoid a
> British deportation order by seeking refuge in a foreign embassy.
> What was the country that Assange turned to for asylum?

Ecuador
> * Game 8, Round 2 - Canadiana History - UN Peacekeeping
>
> *Note*: Where the answer calls for a country, always be
> sufficiently complete and specific or else you will be
> scored as wrong.
>
> 1. UN Security Council Resolution 1264 (hereafter R-1264) passed
> in 1999. Canadian troops were part of a multi-national
> peacekeeping force sent to this country to aid in sponsoring
> their act of self-determination to separate from Indonesia,
> declared in 1975. Name the region / new country.

East Timor
> 2. Established by the General Assembly in 1956, the United Nations
> Emergency Force (UNEF) included up to 1,700 Canadian troops
> and was formed to monitor peaceful withdrawal of the troops
> that had invaded what nation?

Egypt
> 4. R-340, passed in 1973, involved the second Emergency Force,
> UNEF II, which was dispatched to oversee the ceasefire
> between Egypt and Israel after this war. The highest Canadian
> participation was 1,145 troops. Name the war.

Yum Kippur
> 5. R-1542, passed in 2004, established a "stabilization mission"
> to this Western Hemisphere country, to increase security and
> protection during an electoral period and to maintain civil order
> and public safety. Peak Canadian participation was 500 troops
> and 6 helicopters. Name the country.

Haiti
> 6. R-187 passed unanimously in 1964. It mandated a peacekeeping
> operation that lasted over 29 years. The Canadian contingent
> was code-named Operation Snowgoose, and eventually involved
> over 50,000 participants. Name the country.

Cyprus
> 7. The United Nations Protection Force formed in February 1992
> involved Canadian personnel for 3 years, providing security
> in two different countries during wartime. The actions of the
> Canadian contingent were labeled Operation Harmony, and became
> the basis for the 1997 movie "Peacekeepers". Name *either one*
> of the two newly formed countries that the Canadian troops were
> deployed to.

Bosnia-Hercegovina
> 8. R-794 sanctioned a multinational force of 28,000 troops that
> spent 3 years in this African country, on a nation-building
> initiative of disarming various militant factions and helping to
> create a new government. After much contention, 28 days after
> US troops left, R-954 ordered the withdrawal of all troops,
> including Canadians. Name the country.

Somalia
> 9. R-84, passed in 1950, mandated the largest-ever UN combined
> force. The conflict led to 312 Canadian fatalities. Name the
> country the force deployed to.

Korea
> 10. R-872 in 1993, passed unanimously, had major Canadian
> representation, making a hero of one Canadian soldier.
> What country was this crisis in?

Rwanda
> * Game 8, Round 3 - Arts - Name the Artwork
>
> 4. No hint.

The Cry

> 5. No hint.

The Thinker

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: peacekeeping, art

<tbbk0n$g0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4047&group=rec.games.trivia#4047

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 08:23:35 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 13:23 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. In London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tried to avoid a
> British deportation order by seeking refuge in a foreign embassy.
> What was the country that Assange turned to for asylum?

Ecuador

> 2. This question is an answer that must be answered with a question.
> He is a game-show host who suffered a heart attack this weekend.

Who is Alex Trebek?

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Canadiana History - UN Peacekeeping
>
> *Note*: Where the answer calls for a country, always be
> sufficiently complete and specific or else you will be
> scored as wrong.
>
> 1. UN Security Council Resolution 1264 (hereafter R-1264) passed
> in 1999. Canadian troops were part of a multi-national
> peacekeeping force sent to this country to aid in sponsoring
> their act of self-determination to separate from Indonesia,
> declared in 1975. Name the region / new country.

East Timor

> 2. Established by the General Assembly in 1956, the United Nations
> Emergency Force (UNEF) included up to 1,700 Canadian troops
> and was formed to monitor peaceful withdrawal of the troops
> that had invaded what nation?

Hungary

> 3. The aforementioned UNEF originated from a proposal of which man,
> honored as the "father of modern peacekeeping"?

Ralph Bunch; Marshall

> 4. R-340, passed in 1973, involved the second Emergency Force,
> UNEF II, which was dispatched to oversee the ceasefire
> between Egypt and Israel after this war. The highest Canadian
> participation was 1,145 troops. Name the war.

Yom Kippur war

> 5. R-1542, passed in 2004, established a "stabilization mission"
> to this Western Hemisphere country, to increase security and
> protection during an electoral period and to maintain civil order
> and public safety. Peak Canadian participation was 500 troops
> and 6 helicopters. Name the country.

Nicaragua; Haiti

> 6. R-187 passed unanimously in 1964. It mandated a peacekeeping
> operation that lasted over 29 years. The Canadian contingent
> was code-named Operation Snowgoose, and eventually involved
> over 50,000 participants. Name the country.

DR Congo

> 7. The United Nations Protection Force formed in February 1992
> involved Canadian personnel for 3 years, providing security
> in two different countries during wartime. The actions of the
> Canadian contingent were labeled Operation Harmony, and became
> the basis for the 1997 movie "Peacekeepers". Name *either one*
> of the two newly formed countries that the Canadian troops were
> deployed to.

Bosnia and Herzegovina

> 8. R-794 sanctioned a multinational force of 28,000 troops that
> spent 3 years in this African country, on a nation-building
> initiative of disarming various militant factions and helping to
> create a new government. After much contention, 28 days after
> US troops left, R-954 ordered the withdrawal of all troops,
> including Canadians. Name the country.

Sudan; Zimbabwe

> 9. R-84, passed in 1950, mandated the largest-ever UN combined
> force. The conflict led to 312 Canadian fatalities. Name the
> country the force deployed to.

South Korea

> 10. R-872 in 1993, passed unanimously, had major Canadian
> representation, making a hero of one Canadian soldier.
> What country was this crisis in?

Rwanda; Kosovo

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Arts - Name the Artwork
>
> Too often we are asked to name an artist, not the actual artwork.
> The 3-page handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/art.pdf
>
> features paintings and other works of art. Each question asks about
> two works -- a and b -- by two different artists. Never mind the
> artists; just give the *title* of *one or both works* in each pair.
> I've sorted the round in order of the handout.
>
> *NOTE: THIS IS A BONUS ROUND*. On each question, the following
> special scoring for correct answers applies:
>
> - For the first title you give, 4 points
> - For the second title you give, 2 points
>
> Your two answers are scored *INDEPENDENTLY* -- so there's NO
> PENALTY for wrong guesses, and NO REASON not to give two titles
> on each question even if you're only sure of one of them. But do
> put the one you're most sure of first. (To be clear, you don't
> get an additional guess after naming two titles.)
>
> 1. No hint.

> 2. No hint.

The Assumption, Girl with turban

> 3. No hint.

Nighthawks, Lady Madonna

> 4. No hint.

The Scream, The Gatherers

> 5. No hint.

The Thinker, American Gothic

> 6. No hint.

The Pieta, Golden Lady

> 7. No hint.

Heaven and Hell, Starry Night

> 8. Panel 8a is from the Sistine Chapel and its two parts are titled
> separately; either one of those titles will be accepted (but
> not both; you also need to answer for 8b for the full 6 points).

The Fall, Woman with Pitcher

> 9. No hint.

Folies Bergere, Tahiti

> 10. This pair was a decoy; answer it if you like for fun, but for
> no points.

Guernica, Christo's wall

> 11. No hint.

Birth of Venus, Naked Ladies

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: peacekeeping, art

<IuGdnWrZ-7pXZUT_nZ2dnUU7-IXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4048&group=rec.games.trivia#4048

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: peacekeeping, art
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 20:09:30 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 01:09 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. In London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tried to avoid a
> British deportation order by seeking refuge in a foreign embassy.
> What was the country that Assange turned to for asylum?

Ecuador. Everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete
-- got this.

> 2. This question is an answer that must be answered with a question.
> He is a game-show host who suffered a heart attack this weekend.

Who is Alex Trebek? (The surname and the question form were
required.) Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete got this.

As everybody knows, he survived that attack but died of cancer
in 2020.

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Canadiana History - UN Peacekeeping

> *Note*: Where the answer calls for a country, always be
> sufficiently complete and specific or else you will be
> scored as wrong.

> 1. UN Security Council Resolution 1264 (hereafter R-1264) passed
> in 1999. Canadian troops were part of a multi-national
> peacekeeping force sent to this country to aid in sponsoring
> their act of self-determination to separate from Indonesia,
> declared in 1975. Name the region / new country.

East Timor (aka Timor-Leste). 4 for everyone.

> 2. Established by the General Assembly in 1956, the United Nations
> Emergency Force (UNEF) included up to 1,700 Canadian troops
> and was formed to monitor peaceful withdrawal of the troops
> that had invaded what nation?

Egypt. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 3. The aforementioned UNEF originated from a proposal of which man,
> honored as the "father of modern peacekeeping"?

Prime Minister Lester Pearson. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> 4. R-340, passed in 1973, involved the second Emergency Force,
> UNEF II, which was dispatched to oversee the ceasefire
> between Egypt and Israel after this war. The highest Canadian
> participation was 1,145 troops. Name the war.

Yom Kippur War or October War. The name was required. 4 for
everyone.

> 5. R-1542, passed in 2004, established a "stabilization mission"
> to this Western Hemisphere country, to increase security and
> protection during an electoral period and to maintain civil order
> and public safety. Peak Canadian participation was 500 troops
> and 6 helicopters. Name the country.

Haiti. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland. 2 for Pete.

> 6. R-187 passed unanimously in 1964. It mandated a peacekeeping
> operation that lasted over 29 years. The Canadian contingent
> was code-named Operation Snowgoose, and eventually involved
> over 50,000 participants. Name the country.

Cyprus. 4 for Erland.

> 7. The United Nations Protection Force formed in February 1992
> involved Canadian personnel for 3 years, providing security
> in two different countries during wartime. The actions of the
> Canadian contingent were labeled Operation Harmony, and became
> the basis for the 1997 movie "Peacekeepers". Name *either one*
> of the two newly formed countries that the Canadian troops were
> deployed to.

Bosnia and Herzegovina (I accepted Bosnia), Croatia. 4 for everyone.

> 8. R-794 sanctioned a multinational force of 28,000 troops that
> spent 3 years in this African country, on a nation-building
> initiative of disarming various militant factions and helping to
> create a new government. After much contention, 28 days after
> US troops left, R-954 ordered the withdrawal of all troops,
> including Canadians. Name the country.

Somalia. 4 for Erland.

> 9. R-84, passed in 1950, mandated the largest-ever UN combined
> force. The conflict led to 312 Canadian fatalities. Name the
> country the force deployed to.

South Korea (aka Republic of Korea). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> 10. R-872 in 1993, passed unanimously, had major Canadian
> representation, making a hero of one Canadian soldier.
> What country was this crisis in?

Rwanda. 4 for Erland. 3 for Pete.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Arts - Name the Artwork

> Too often we are asked to name an artist, not the actual artwork.
> The 3-page handout

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/art.pdf

> features paintings and other works of art. Each question asks about
> two works -- a and b -- by two different artists. Never mind the
> artists; just give the *title* of *one or both works* in each pair.
> I've sorted the round in order of the handout.

> *NOTE: THIS IS A BONUS ROUND*. On each question, the following
> special scoring for correct answers applies:

> - For the first title you give, 4 points
> - For the second title you give, 2 points

> Your two answers are scored *INDEPENDENTLY* -- so there's NO
> PENALTY for wrong guesses, and NO REASON not to give two titles
> on each question even if you're only sure of one of them. But do
> put the one you're most sure of first. (To be clear, you don't
> get an additional guess after naming two titles.)

In the original game, even disregarding the bonus points, this was the
easiest round in the game and, if current events rounds are excluded,
was one of four rounds tied for fourth-easiest in the entire season.

I made some judgement calls about inexact titles, accepting some
where the key part was included.

> 1. No hint.

"La Tondo Doni" or the "Doni Tondo" or "la Sacra Familiglia" or
"The Holy Family" (Michelangelo Buonarroti, 1508); "The Jack Pine"
(Tom Thomson, 1917).

> 2. No hint.

"(L'allegoria del)la Primavera" or "(Allegory of) Spring" (Sandro
Botticelli, 1482); "Girl with a Pearl Earring" (Johannes Vermeer,
1667). 6 for Joshua. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. No hint.

"Nighthawks" (Edward Hopper, 1942), "Madonna [or Virgin] of the Rocks"
(Leonardo da Vinci, 1486). 6 for Pete. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. No hint.

"The Scream" (Edvard Munch, 1893); "The Gleaners" (Jean-François
Millet, 1857). 6 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete. 4 for Dan Tilque
and Erland.

> 5. No hint.

"The Thinker" (Auguste Rodin, 1903); "American Gothic" (Grant Wood,
1930). 6 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 4 for Erland.

> 6. No hint.

"La Pietà" (Michelangelo again, 1499); "The Kiss" (Gustav Klimt,
1908). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. No hint.

"The Last Judgement" (Michelangelo again, 1541); "A Starry
Night" (Vincent van Gogh, 1888). 6 for Joshua. 4 for Dan Blum
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> 8. Panel 8a is from the Sistine Chapel and its two parts are titled
> separately; either one of those titles will be accepted (but
> not both; you also need to answer for 8b for the full 6 points).

"The Fall of Man" and "The Expulsion from the Garden of Eden"
(yes, Michelangelo yet again, 1512 this time); "The Milkmaid"
(Vermeer again, 1658). 4 for Pete.

> 9. No hint.

"A Bar at the Folies Bergère" (Édouard Manet, 1882); "The West Wind"
(Thomson again, 1917 again). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. This pair was a decoy; answer it if you like for fun, but for
> no points.

"Guernica" (Pablo Picasso, 1937); "Running Fence" (Christo, 1976).
Joshua and Pete got "Guernica".

> 11. No hint.

"The Birth of Venus" (Botticelli again, 1486); "Déjeuner sur L'Herbe"
or "Luncheon on the Grass" or "Le Bain" or "The Bath" (Manet again,
1863). 6 for Joshua and Dan Blum. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Art
Joshua Kreitzer 25 42 67
Dan Blum 28 38 66
Pete Gayde 21 32 53
Dan Tilque 20 22 42
Erland Sommarskog 32 8 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Ken doesn't spell very well. Fortunately,
msb@vex.net he has other virtues." -- Dennis Ritchie