Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: eliminated cash bail - is damaging policing profession in Illinois,
says local sheriff Video
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 10:40:49 -0800
 by: a425couple - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:40 UTC

from
https://www.foxnews.com/media/one-year-americas-dangerous-law-damaging-policing-profession-illinois-says-local-sheriff

After one year, 'America's most dangerous law' is damaging policing
profession in Illinois, says local sheriff
Abolishment of cash bail means more offenders back on the streets,
reduced revenue for local counties, sheriff says
Teny Sahakian By Teny Sahakian Fox News
Published January 1, 2024 5:06am EST

After one year, 'America's most dangerous law' is damaging policing
profession in Illinois, says local sheriff
Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Bullard said after one year in effect, the
SAFE-T Act is having the "intended result" and damaging the policing
profession in Illinois.

Sweeping criminal justice reforms in Illinois have had "overwhelmingly
negative" effects, a small town sheriff in the southern part of the
state said a year after the law was implemented.

"These kinds of reforms and this kind of constant police-bashing
rhetoric that we hear out of these – I'll just say it – out of these
Marxist folks, it's having the intended result that they truly want,"
Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Bullard told Fox News. "They're wanting to
damage the policing profession and they're having some success at it."

"Policing leaders need to step up and stand against it," he added. "Very
loud, very vocal, very strongly."

The Safety, Accountability, Fairness and Equity-Today (SAFE-T) Act,
which took effect on Jan. 1, 2023, overhauled Illinois' justice system
with provisions that granted more freedoms to defendants and reduced
certain felonies to misdemeanors. It also lowered the severity of some
misdemeanors, like trespassing, and eliminated cash bail across the state.

After one year, 'America's most dangerous law' is damaging policing
profession in Illinois, says local sheriffVideo
WATCH MORE FOX NEWS DIGITAL ORIGINALS HERE

Bullard said some of the problems he and other law enforcement leaders
opposed to the SAFE-T Act predicted are coming to pass.

"You can see things in the law, when you look at individual factors of
it, that this law was generated out of a mistrust for law enforcement,"
he told Fox News. "So any rhetoric that would say it was to benefit law
enforcement, I believe is disingenuous."

The law includes reforms that streamline the process to revoke an
officer's license, allowing investigations into anonymous complaints
against officers and banning the destruction of police misconduct records.

A black and white Illinois State Police cruiser is parked under a bridge
Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Bullard said the SAFE-T Act is damaging
the policing profession in Illinois, which was the "intended result" of
the Democratic lawmakers who passed the law. (X/Illinois State Police)

Bullard said the "convoluted" changes have officers across the state
feeling "uneasy" while doing their jobs.

"Even in your most secure agency, you're still going to have officers
that are going to be a little bit queasy about it," he said.

So far, Jefferson County has met every statute deadline in the 764-page
law, but with many more changes down the road, the southern county hired
a law firm to help with policy procedure review in fiscal year 2024. The
cost is a significant line item in the small, rural county’s budget,
Bullard said.

Local officials hired the firm "to make sure that we can keep up with
all the requirements that not only the SAFE-T Act has proposed, but
other Illinois statutes and laws that have not been police friendly over
the years," he said.

Illinois sheriffs brace for fallout of ‘America’s most dangerous law’
after supreme court ends cash bail Video
SAFE-T ACT: ILLINOIS SHERIFF WARNS PROSECUTORS NOT TO BE ‘OVERZEALOUS’
TARGETING VICTIMS STOPPING CRIMINALS

The SAFE-T Act’s most controversial provision, abolishing cash bail, was
delayed due to legal challenges over its constitutionality, but the
Illinois Supreme Court ultimately ruled in favor of the reform. It took
effect Sept. 18, making Illinois the first state to fully eliminate cash
bail.

Under the new law, defendants can't be required to post bail to be
released from jail as they await trial unless a judge determines them a
threat to the public or a flight risk.

Bullard said 153 of 280 arrestees brought into his jail since Sept. 18
were processed and released immediately. Another 55 were released within
a week.

"It was some drug offenses, some violent offenses and some DUI charges
all released without having to post any kind of bond," he said. "You see
a significant amount of offenders being placed relatively quickly back
out into society."

The Jefferson County Circuit Clerk's office has seen a 45% reduction in
fees collected since the new system took effect, according to Bullard.

In a previous interview, Orland Park Mayor Keith Pekau told Fox News:
"When I said that this is the most dangerous law I've ever seen, I
believe that."

'Stupid' abolishment of cash bail means Illinois streets are 'never
gonna be safe' again: residentsVideo
'STUPID' ABOLISHMENT OF CASH BAIL MEANS ILLINOIS STREETS ARE 'NEVER
GONNA BE SAFE' AGAIN: RESIDENTS

Bullard said progressive reforms like the SAFE-T Act are a
"demoralization strategy" by left-wing politicians to get those in law
enforcement to leave the profession "or to just drop back and not do
much – basically be retired on duty."

"Make the profession undesirable to where it starts becoming harder and
harder, especially for local agencies, to recruit and retain people,"
Bullard said.

In 2022, members of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police ranked
"recruitment and retention" as their number one challenge in a statewide
survey, with 60% of agencies saying they were not fully staffed.

In July, Gov. J.B. Pritzker signed into law a bill allowing non-U.S.
citizens in Illinois to become police officers as of Jan. 1 to help with
staffing shortages. Additionally, the Illinois State Police changed its
pre-employment requirements in September, creating more pathways to
become a trooper in hopes of attracting more applicants.

"We're hoping that somewhere along the way, good reason takes over and
they realize the problems that they're causing," Bullard said of
Democratic lawmakers pushing these laws.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Until then, he said law enforcement leaders need to try to ignore the
politics and "put the public they serve first."

"I can still go make traffic stops. I can still get in foot pursuits. If
they run from me, I can still get in a vehicle pursuit. We give our
people the ability to do their job," Bullard said. "And even though
there's hurdles that this reform has put in the way… many honorable
things about the profession are still there. Some of the things we just
got to work harder at doing."

"Try as they might, they can not take away the honor in what we do for a
living," he said.

Teny Sahakian is an Associate Producer/Writer for Fox News. Follow Teny
on Twitter at @tenysahakian.

Conversation5.9K Comments
199 Viewing
Discussions are moderated. For more details, click here.

View 131 new comments
Sort by

Best
Onecoolchick
1 day ago

I grew up in southern Illinois, beautiful land, great people and
everywhere had a small town "Mayberry" feel. I loved that place, left
for job in the late 80's, I would visit as often as possible. It didn't
take long to notice changes in the state, and not changes for the
better. I made myself a pr...

See more

Share