You can never tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWood

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWoodMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWoodDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWoodJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWoodDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWoodPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: movie slogans, CanWoodMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWood

<9fWdnRF_XdW1kkL_nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4056&group=rec.games.trivia#4056

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWood
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 16:46:16 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:46 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar's Slogans

For this round you will be given the advertising tagline from an
Academy Award Best-Picture-winning movie, and you name the movie.

1. "A hero will rise."
2. "Collide with destiny."
3. "All it takes is a little confidence."
4. "The happiest sound in all the world!"
5. "His whole life was a million-to-one shot."
6. "Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world."
7. "Inside everyone is a frontier waiting to be discovered."
8. "With the right song and dance, you can get away with murder."

9. "The Man... The Music... The Madness... The Murder... The Motion
Picture!"

10. "What does it take to find a lost love?
A. Money B. Luck C. Smarts D. Destiny"

* Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - The Forest Industry

1. Which province """is""" the largest exporter of lumber?

2. In January 2012, the Obama administration rejected the Keystone
XL Pipeline proposal. What "olive branch" did the US throw
Canada to soothe the situation?

3. The US imports """the largest amount""" of Canadian lumber.
What country imports the """next most"""?

4. The Beaver Lumber Co. got its start in 1883 as the Banbury
Bros. Lumber Co. It became Beaver in 1904. It was owned by
Molson Breweries from 1972 until 2000. What company bought it
in 2000?

5. Nominal dimensions of lumber in Canada refer to the dimensions
of fresh-sawed wood. Hence, a "2×4" is exactly 2 inches by
4 inches when cut at the sawmill. After drying and planing
(or dressing), what are the standard dimensions of the "2×4"
when purchased at retail?

6. What does the acronym "SPF" in SPF lumber represent?

7. According to Statistics Canada, what is the most popular
Christmas tree grown in Canada? Be specific. *Note*: This
question has not been updated; the original answer is required.

8. Which part of the birch tree is used to make birch beer?

9. A quaking aspen is described by the US Forest Service as
"North America's largest tree". What unusual feature of the
quaking aspen makes this possible?

10. What common drug was derived from a substance in the bark of
willow trees?

--
Mark Brader Twas unix and the C++
Toronto Did compile and load upon the vax:

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWood

<tbnm08$gde$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4058&group=rec.games.trivia#4058

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 03:11:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 03:11 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar's Slogans

> 2. "Collide with destiny."

Crash; Titanic

> 5. "His whole life was a million-to-one shot."

Slumdog Millionaire

> 6. "Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world."

Schindler's List

> 8. "With the right song and dance, you can get away with murder."

Chicago

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - The Forest Industry

> 1. Which province """is""" the largest exporter of lumber?

British Columbia

> 3. The US imports """the largest amount""" of Canadian lumber.
> What country imports the """next most"""?

Japan

> 7. According to Statistics Canada, what is the most popular
> Christmas tree grown in Canada? Be specific. *Note*: This
> question has not been updated; the original answer is required.

Norway spruce

> 8. Which part of the birch tree is used to make birch beer?

bark

> 9. A quaking aspen is described by the US Forest Service as
> "North America's largest tree". What unusual feature of the
> quaking aspen makes this possible?

it sends up multiple trunks from one root system

> 10. What common drug was derived from a substance in the bark of
> willow trees?

aspirin

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWood

<6845427c-870c-4a43-9371-573d135266d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4060&group=rec.games.trivia#4060

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:56:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 04:56 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 4:46:22 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar's Slogans
>
> For this round you will be given the advertising tagline from an
> Academy Award Best-Picture-winning movie, and you name the movie.
>
> 3. "All it takes is a little confidence."

"The Sting"
> 4. "The happiest sound in all the world!"

"The Sound of Music"

> 5. "His whole life was a million-to-one shot."

"Rocky"
> 6. "Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world."

"Schindler's List"

> 7. "Inside everyone is a frontier waiting to be discovered."

"Dances with Wolves"
> 8. "With the right song and dance, you can get away with murder."

"Chicago"

> 9. "The Man... The Music... The Madness... The Murder... The Motion
> Picture!"

"Amadeus"

> 10. "What does it take to find a lost love?
> A. Money B. Luck C. Smarts D. Destiny"

"Slumdog Millionaire"

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - The Forest Industry
>
> 1. Which province """is""" the largest exporter of lumber?

Quebec; Ontario

> 3. The US imports """the largest amount""" of Canadian lumber.
> What country imports the """next most"""?

China
> 7. According to Statistics Canada, what is the most popular
> Christmas tree grown in Canada? Be specific. *Note*: This
> question has not been updated; the original answer is required.

Douglas fir
> 8. Which part of the birch tree is used to make birch beer?

bark

> 9. A quaking aspen is described by the US Forest Service as
> "North America's largest tree". What unusual feature of the
> quaking aspen makes this possible?

what appears to be one tree is actually just part of a much larger plant

> 10. What common drug was derived from a substance in the bark of
> willow trees?

aspirin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWood

<tbqktu$2eq0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4062&group=rec.games.trivia#4062

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 23:11:08 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 06:11 UTC

On 7/25/22 14:46, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar's Slogans
>
> For this round you will be given the advertising tagline from an
> Academy Award Best-Picture-winning movie, and you name the movie.
>
> 1. "A hero will rise."
> 2. "Collide with destiny."
> 3. "All it takes is a little confidence."

The Sting

> 4. "The happiest sound in all the world!"
> 5. "His whole life was a million-to-one shot."

Forrest Gump

> 6. "Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world."
> 7. "Inside everyone is a frontier waiting to be discovered."
> 8. "With the right song and dance, you can get away with murder."
>
> 9. "The Man... The Music... The Madness... The Murder... The Motion
> Picture!"
>
> 10. "What does it take to find a lost love?
> A. Money B. Luck C. Smarts D. Destiny"
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - The Forest Industry
>
> 1. Which province """is""" the largest exporter of lumber?

British Columbia

> 2. In January 2012, the Obama administration rejected the Keystone
> XL Pipeline proposal. What "olive branch" did the US throw
> Canada to soothe the situation?
>
> 3. The US imports """the largest amount""" of Canadian lumber.
> What country imports the """next most"""?

Japan

> 4. The Beaver Lumber Co. got its start in 1883 as the Banbury
> Bros. Lumber Co. It became Beaver in 1904. It was owned by
> Molson Breweries from 1972 until 2000. What company bought it
> in 2000?
>
> 5. Nominal dimensions of lumber in Canada refer to the dimensions
> of fresh-sawed wood. Hence, a "2×4" is exactly 2 inches by
> 4 inches when cut at the sawmill. After drying and planing
> (or dressing), what are the standard dimensions of the "2×4"
> when purchased at retail?

1.5 by 3.5

> 6. What does the acronym "SPF" in SPF lumber represent?
>
> 7. According to Statistics Canada, what is the most popular
> Christmas tree grown in Canada? Be specific. *Note*: This
> question has not been updated; the original answer is required.
>
> 8. Which part of the birch tree is used to make birch beer?

xylem

> 9. A quaking aspen is described by the US Forest Service as
> "North America's largest tree". What unusual feature of the
> quaking aspen makes this possible?

trunks can grow out of the roots of existing trees, so what looks like a
stand of trees may actually be a single tree.

> 10. What common drug was derived from a substance in the bark of
> willow trees?

aspirin

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: movie slogans, CanWood

<tbsp1h$ahm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4064&group=rec.games.trivia#4064

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:33:37 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 01:33 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar's Slogans
>
> For this round you will be given the advertising tagline from an
> Academy Award Best-Picture-winning movie, and you name the movie.
>
> 1. "A hero will rise."

Rocky

> 2. "Collide with destiny."
> 3. "All it takes is a little confidence."
> 4. "The happiest sound in all the world!"
> 5. "His whole life was a million-to-one shot."

Forrest Gump

> 6. "Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world."

Schindler's List

> 7. "Inside everyone is a frontier waiting to be discovered."
> 8. "With the right song and dance, you can get away with murder."
>
> 9. "The Man... The Music... The Madness... The Murder... The Motion
> Picture!"
>
> 10. "What does it take to find a lost love?
> A. Money B. Luck C. Smarts D. Destiny"
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - The Forest Industry
>
> 1. Which province """is""" the largest exporter of lumber?

Alberta; British Columbia

> 2. In January 2012, the Obama administration rejected the Keystone
> XL Pipeline proposal. What "olive branch" did the US throw
> Canada to soothe the situation?
>
> 3. The US imports """the largest amount""" of Canadian lumber.
> What country imports the """next most"""?

Japan

> 4. The Beaver Lumber Co. got its start in 1883 as the Banbury
> Bros. Lumber Co. It became Beaver in 1904. It was owned by
> Molson Breweries from 1972 until 2000. What company bought it
> in 2000?
>
> 5. Nominal dimensions of lumber in Canada refer to the dimensions
> of fresh-sawed wood. Hence, a "2×4" is exactly 2 inches by
> 4 inches when cut at the sawmill. After drying and planing
> (or dressing), what are the standard dimensions of the "2×4"
> when purchased at retail?

1.5 x 3.5 inches

> 6. What does the acronym "SPF" in SPF lumber represent?
>
> 7. According to Statistics Canada, what is the most popular
> Christmas tree grown in Canada? Be specific. *Note*: This
> question has not been updated; the original answer is required.

Scotch Pine

> 8. Which part of the birch tree is used to make birch beer?

Bark

> 9. A quaking aspen is described by the US Forest Service as
> "North America's largest tree". What unusual feature of the
> quaking aspen makes this possible?
>
> 10. What common drug was derived from a substance in the bark of
> willow trees?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: movie slogans, CanWood

<oNucnX1trsQK-H7_nZ2dnZfqnPjNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4065&group=rec.games.trivia#4065

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: movie slogans, CanWood
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 04:44:07 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 04:44 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Oscar's Slogans

> For this round you will be given the advertising tagline from an
> Academy Award Best-Picture-winning movie, and you name the movie.

> 1. "A hero will rise."

"Gladiator" (2000).

> 2. "Collide with destiny."

"Titanic" (1997). 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. "All it takes is a little confidence."

"The Sting" (1973). 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 4. "The happiest sound in all the world!"

"The Sound of Music" (1965). 4 for Joshua.

> 5. "His whole life was a million-to-one shot."

"Rocky" (1976). 4 for Joshua.

> 6. "Whoever saves one life, saves the entire world."

"Schindler's List" (1993). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. "Inside everyone is a frontier waiting to be discovered."

"Dances with Wolves" (1990). 4 for Joshua.

> 8. "With the right song and dance, you can get away with murder."

"Chicago" (2002). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. "The Man... The Music... The Madness... The Murder... The Motion
> Picture!"

"Amadeus" (1984). 4 for Joshua.

> 10. "What does it take to find a lost love?
> A. Money B. Luck C. Smarts D. Destiny"

"Slumdog Millionaire" (2008). 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana - The Forest Industry

> 1. Which province """is""" the largest exporter of lumber?

British Columbia. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.
2 for Pete.

> 2. In January 2012, the Obama administration rejected the Keystone
> XL Pipeline proposal. What "olive branch" did the US throw
> Canada to soothe the situation?

Extended the softwood lumber agreement (until 2015).

> 3. The US imports """the largest amount""" of Canadian lumber.
> What country imports the """next most"""?

(US is still true.) 2012 answer: Japan. 2022 answer: China.
4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. The Beaver Lumber Co. got its start in 1883 as the Banbury
> Bros. Lumber Co. It became Beaver in 1904. It was owned by
> Molson Breweries from 1972 until 2000. What company bought it
> in 2000?

Home Hardware.

> 5. Nominal dimensions of lumber in Canada refer to the dimensions
> of fresh-sawed wood. Hence, a "2×4" is exactly 2 inches by
> 4 inches when cut at the sawmill. After drying and planing
> (or dressing), what are the standard dimensions of the "2×4"
> when purchased at retail?

1½×3½ inches. The original round specified that 1¾×3¾ was also
acceptable. I don't think they've been that big for years; in fact,
the last time I bought a batch of them, they were about 1/8 inch
*under* 1½×3½ and didn't quite line up with the older 1½×3½-inch
2×4's that I was installing them next to, so I had to shim them.
Not that I'm *annoyed* or anything. Anyway, I'm accepting anything
from 1 3/8 × 3 3/8 to 1¾×3¾ inches, or in other words, just about
any likely guess was correct. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 6. What does the acronym "SPF" in SPF lumber represent?

Spruce, pine, or fir.

> 7. According to Statistics Canada, what is the most popular
> Christmas tree grown in Canada? Be specific. *Note*: This
> question has not been updated; the original answer is required.

Balsam fir. (Second place is Douglas fir.)

> 8. Which part of the birch tree is used to make birch beer?

Bark. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. A quaking aspen is described by the US Forest Service as
> "North America's largest tree". What unusual feature of the
> quaking aspen makes this possible?

It's made up of a large number of trees that are all joined together
by shared roots, and can therefore considered to be all one plant.
"It clones itself" conveys the process but does not mention that
the roots remain shared, so I scored that answer as almost correct.
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. What common drug was derived from a substance in the bark of
> willow trees?

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

The substance in the bark is salicylic acid, which has similar
pain-relieving properties but is a much worse stomach irritant.

In 2012 a couple of entrants guessed quinine; that was actually
derived from -- and named after -- a tree called the cinchona,
which is not found in Canada.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Art Geo Spo Ent Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 25 42 37 32 32 16 143
Dan Blum 28 38 23 12 10 20 109
Erland Sommarskog 32 8 23 34 -- -- 97
Dan Tilque 20 22 24 28 4 20 94
Pete Gayde 21 32 -- -- 4 14 71

--
Mark Brader, Toronto |"--", Paul said, and then repeated it for emphasis.
msb@vex.net | --Spider Robinson, "Lifehouse"